post #1621 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

So I have FIOS with a HDHomeRun Prime. Certain channels pixelate during recording on the Prime but are fine on live and recording with a Verizon DVR. I've read that a lowpass or moca filter could fix the issue? Can anyone explain that or have any more information?

Have you checked your signal levels in the Prime GUI. You access it by typing in the local ip address of the Prime via a web browser.

There should be the least amount of splitters as possible from the point of demarcation to the Prime. I have one to split to the modem and that is it. Also, you should run MoCa only on RF6 within your house that is not connected to the feed from Verizon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Have you checked your signal levels in the Prime GUI. You access it by typing in the local ip address of the Prime via a web browser.
Image (Click to show)
Image (Click to show)

There should be the least amount of splitters as possible from the point of demarcation to the Prime. I have one to split to the modem and that is it. Also, you should run MoCa only on RF6 within your house that is not connected to the feed from Verizon.

I haven't checked while it's tuned to the channel. But the cable card signal strength is fine. I'll have to check the channel when I get home.

post #1623 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Higher frequency channels will tend to have lower signal strength and quality.

post #1624 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

So I have FIOS with a HDHomeRun Prime. Certain channels pixelate during recording on the Prime but are fine on live and recording with a Verizon DVR. I've read that a lowpass or moca filter could fix the issue? Can anyone explain that or have any more information?
I had that problem with my InfiniTV and Hauppauge PCIe tuners. I installed a filter on the splitter just before the internal tuners and it helped a little, but not much. The final fix was moving my Verizon Actiontec wireless router to another room. It was located about 18" from the PC, now it's about 40' away on the coax run. I got my HDHR Prime after moving the router so I don't know if that tuner would have had the same problem or not. I left the filter installed at the splitter just before the internal tuner cards. The Prime coax run is not filtered and I don't have any pixelation on any channel using any tuner.
post #1625 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I sometimes have pixelation or audio drops and I am on TWC. I have a splitter that splits the signa coming in from the house between my HDHR and my cable modem. The signal strength is normally near 100% but I have seen it dip to 98.5% or around there depending on what channel I am seeing. It also could be due to my TA or something else in my network. I have my HDHR connected to a switch (GS108) that is then connected to my router (DIR655).
post #1626 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Quote:

I had that problem with my InfiniTV and Hauppauge PCIe tuners. I installed a filter on the splitter just before the internal tuners and it helped a little, but not much. The final fix was moving my Verizon Actiontec wireless router to another room. It was located about 18" from the PC, now it's about 40' away on the coax run. I got my HDHR Prime after moving the router so I don't know if that tuner would have had the same problem or not. I left the filter installed at the splitter just before the internal tuner cards. The Prime coax run is not filtered and I don't have any pixelation on any channel using any tuner.

I'm not on FiOS but my router is immediately next to my prime. My signals are 100% almost all the time on all channels. Both my Prime and my modem are wired directly to the pole with only one splitter to split the signal to each. I use ethernet and no MoCA but do use wireless which works well getting the signal to my echo about 20 feet away from the router and behind only one wall.

post #1627 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

I'm not on FiOS but my router is immediately next to my prime. My signals are 100% almost all the time on all channels. Both my Prime and my modem are wired directly to the pole with only one splitter to split the signal to each. I use ethernet and no MoCA but do use wireless which works well getting the signal to my echo about 20 feet away from the router and behind only one wall.
I think it was interference, not a signal level problem.
post #1628 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When the prime was first released, SD stated that it had a built in moca filter so the problems that affected the infinitv's should not happen on the primes... however things may have changed since they first were released and even some cable modems with built in filters occasionally benefit from an additional filter . For me, I always noticed more problems with moca interference on the pcie version of the infinitv than the usb version so I always assumed it was some reflection generated by the coax adapter. I had not seen problems on the prime.
post #1629 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone using prime with xbmc as a frontend? If so, what are your video settings? I am trying to get it to look as good as my old set top cable box but having a hard time. I am using bob (vdpau) for deinterlace and lanczos3 optimized for video scaling. Also, I have a splitter with a moca box on the splitter (DC pass) and my signal quality is below:

1080i and 720p channels generally look more pixiated than the old cablebox and also lack the contrast/color of the old box. However, downloaded/converted 1080p/720p movies look great.

post #1630 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Try as as I may, I cant get thru reading 1629 post LoL, so sorry if this has been answered before...but I need a little guidance.
( god help me ) I just signed up for SCamcast, I ordered their wireless gateway and hdvr but am going to switch those out asap. The Prime seems to be the solution I need. Here's my set up..
3 laptops running Xbmc upstairs and the Prime on the main tv downstairs. I'm willing to consider WMC for tv viewing..
1) Best way to connect? dlna or wired using poweline ethernet
2) Will I need an additional tv tuner?
3) Do I need to subscribe to a digital SCamcast pkg? I need HBO and TNT/TBS etc..
4) The router needs to have fast wifi and usb so I can connect my external hd to it. Do any of them have usb 3.0?
5) Will I need a gigabit ethernet switch?

I have a lot more questions, but if I can get some help with these, I'll be on the right path..thanks in advance
post #1631 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

For premium content you need to use WMC which is the only PC based software that will deal with copy protected content. Here's the answers to the rest of your questions.

1. Ethernet.
2. No, unless you want to tune more than 3 channels at a time.
3. You need to subscribe to whatever package has the programming you want to watch. No difference here from having a CableCo STB/DVR.
4. This has nothing to do with using the Prime for TV viewing.
5. Not necessary buy helpful.

post #1632 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:

For premium content you need to use WMC which is the only PC based software that will deal with copy protected content. Here's the answers to the rest of your questions.

1. Ethernet.
2. No, unless you want to tune more than 3 channels at a time.
3. You need to subscribe to whatever package has the programming you want to watch. No difference here from having a CableCo STB/DVR.
4. This has nothing to do with using the Prime for TV viewing.
5. Not necessary buy helpful.
So if I want to watch on all four tv's at the same time, I will need another tuner.. What if I want to record a program while watching say, 3 tv's? I read somewhere that you can watch 3 tv's and record 3 programs, I might have misunderstood.
I figured I'd end up using WMC since the backend setup for Xbmc is such a pia and WMC is basically plug and play..
post #1633 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You watch and record any combination of three programs at once. After that you need another Prime or another tuner. Keep in mind you need a Windows PC or extender at each TV you want to tune to the Prime if you want access to the guide or PVR. Otherwise you need a DLNA enabled device to merely watch TV.

post #1634 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am assuming by scamcast you are meaning comcast... if you really feel this way about comcast, I suggest cutting the cord entirely as they are much more liberal with their programming than other providers. With comcast most content is just encrypted (including the locals in some markets and that is expanding) and is not protected so you will only need WMC for premiums such as HBO, SHO, MAX, etc. all the other channels are marked copy freely so can viewed and recorded by other applications. Generally wifi isn't recommended for tv viewing and recording as you will have dropped packets, it is just the nature of wifi and the use of udp. Any non-protected recording can then use tcp for delivery over wifi and allow buffering. "HBO" however will require the use of WMC and can only be viewed on the machine that recorded it or WMC extenders (such as the xbox) connected to that machine (again over ethernet... extenders also use udp so wifi isn't recommended.

I would still plan on using WMC to record., though if you check out the xbmc forums/wiki you can probably find another backend for all but "HBO". I have no problems sharing the non-protected recordings with other devices but on TWC and cox all my channels (except locals) are protected so using

Your number 4 "statement" (as your only question in there was about usb 3.0) seems out of place... in the case for wifi, speed isn't the deciding factor as the problem is with quality of the signal and not getting interference, including other devices on your wifi network that need to "talk" from time to time and a drive there does no good for tv recording (you may wish to move programs to that drive if there is a good dlna server built into the router but it is far easier and more versatile if kept on your main machine.
post #1635 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM

Alright, thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'll get it all up and running in the next few days.
post #1636 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

I am assuming by scamcast you are meaning comcast... if you really feel this way about comcast, I suggest cutting the cord entirely as they are much more liberal with their programming than other providers. With comcast most content is just encrypted (including the locals in some markets and that is expanding) and is not protected so you will only need WMC for premiums such as HBO, SHO, MAX, etc. all the other channels are marked copy freely so can viewed and recorded by other applications.
Yea.. There's no love lost there. it only took 3 calls and 2 live chats to finally order what THEY wanted me to order.. I finally gave in, paid the extra $20mo' and extra $10 shipping, just to get past that stage... but enough of that

I would love to cut the cord, but how? I can't do OTA the family won't be having that. I don't really want to use to streaming sites Hulu, Netflix etc... and I can't find any other option that'll have a similar look and feel.

The reason I ask about the router is that I'll be replacing their wireless gateway asap and need to purchase a compatible one. There seems to quite a few options out there, but I would like one that provides other features, like usb 3.0 so I can network my hdd and 450+ Mbps. I figured you guys might have an opinion on a good choice.

I'm confused, if the Prime requires use of a cablecard and subscription, how can you cut the cord? I'm ordering the Prime right now, so is this the right move? help!!
post #1637 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM

LoL look what just popped up to the top of the active threads
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418322/what-is-the-very-best-wireless-router-available-right-now
post #1638 of 2139 Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

Anyone using prime with xbmc as a frontend? If so, what are your video settings? I am trying to get it to look as good as my old set top cable box but having a hard time. I am using bob (vdpau) for deinterlace and lanczos3 optimized for video scaling. Also, I have a splitter with a moca box on the splitter (DC pass) and my signal quality is below:

[pictue]

1080i and 720p channels generally look more pixiated than the old cablebox and also lack the contrast/color of the old box. However, downloaded/converted 1080p/720p movies look great.
The OOB is simply a data stream that talks to your cable card. As such it is a predictor of the signal level of channels 4 & 5, the two adjacent channels. When we ask for signal levels and quality you need to figure out which tuner(s) are in use and select them. You can tell what tuner is in use from the summary:

Then select that tuner to show the levels:
post #1639 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 11
I checked that and it's looking pretty good too:

post #1640 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

I am assuming by scamcast you are meaning comcast... if you really feel this way about comcast, I suggest cutting the cord entirely as they are much more liberal with their programming than other providers. With comcast most content is just encrypted (including the locals in some markets and that is expanding) and is not protected so you will only need WMC for premiums such as HBO, SHO, MAX, etc. all the other channels are marked copy freely so can viewed and recorded by other applications.
Yea.. There's no love lost there. it only took 3 calls and 2 live chats to finally order what THEY wanted me to order.. I finally gave in, paid the extra $20mo' and extra $10 shipping, just to get past that stage... but enough of that

I would love to cut the cord, but how? I can't do OTA the family won't be having that. I don't really want to use to streaming sites Hulu, Netflix etc... and I can't find any other option that'll have a similar look and feel.

The reason I ask about the router is that I'll be replacing their wireless gateway asap and need to purchase a compatible one. There seems to quite a few options out there, but I would like one that provides other features, like usb 3.0 so I can network my hdd and 450+ Mbps. I figured you guys might have an opinion on a good choice.

I'm confused, if the Prime requires use of a cablecard and subscription, how can you cut the cord? I'm ordering the Prime right now, so is this the right move? help!!

Not if you truly want to cut the cord and not use cable at all. The Prime will be useless for you so rather than returning it, just forward it to me.

That said, you indicate that the family won't have it severed so the Prime is the right choice for you.

I'm not sure why you paid for shipping. Is there not a local office from which to pick up the CableCARD? And what is this $20/mo extra you are talking about? What programming did you get that you do not want?

post #1641 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM

I tried powerline networking in conjunction with the prime and it was even worse than wifi. As Sammy has mentioned, gigabit ethernet with a gigabet switch is your best bet. If you want to give access to your recordings and don't mind sacrificing a little quality, install MCEBuddy on your PC and it will automatically cut out commercials and convert to mp4. You can then install a DLNA server on your PC ( or get a cheap pogoplug). As long as it isn't a "record once" program, I can view any of these converted recordings on any of my wifi connected devices such as other PC's or dlna device(e.g., google TV) .

Quote:

Try as as I may, I cant get thru reading 1629 post LoL, so sorry if this has been answered before...but I need a little guidance.
( god help me ) I just signed up for SCamcast, I ordered their wireless gateway and hdvr but am going to switch those out asap. The Prime seems to be the solution I need. Here's my set up..
3 laptops running Xbmc upstairs and the Prime on the main tv downstairs. I'm willing to consider WMC for tv viewing..
1) Best way to connect? dlna or wired using poweline ethernet
post #1642 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Not if you truly want to cut the cord and not use cable at all. The Prime will be useless for you so rather than returning it, just forward it to me.

That said, you indicate that the family won't have it severed so the Prime is the right choice for you.
That's too funny lol, if it doesn't work out I'll make you a deal $139 and i'll throw in a usb stick lol.. Gotta love the Egg, they already shipped it to me smile.gif
I totally agree, the family's gonna need to be weaned slowly. This is not the time for full cable tv combat with the Fam. I just hope the Prime will have the same look and feel of regular cable. or else...
Quote:

I'm not sure why you paid for shipping. Is there not a local office from which to pick up the CableCARD? And what is this $20/mo extra you are talking about? What programming did you get that you do not want?
The story's too long and not worthy of this thread, it's not even worth repeating lol
post #1643 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

We love to hear this stuff!

I think that the EPG and PVR in WMC is nicer than anything on any cable or satellite system that I have seen, especially what Charter has around here which is some 480i crap on a 1080p TV. WMC is sharp as well as intuitive.

post #1644 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

WMC guide with My Channel Logos plug in ($5).

LiveTV. With MCL you can increase the "mini guide" to four rows. You can also go full screen.

The information overlay on LiveTV.

These are just shots I found in a quick Google search.

post #1645 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

I tried powerline networking in conjunction with the prime and it was even worse than wifi. As Sammy has mentioned, gigabit ethernet with a gigabet switch is your best bet. If you want to give access to your recordings and don't mind sacrificing a little quality, install MCEBuddy on your PC and it will automatically cut out commercials and convert to mp4. You can then install a DLNA server on your PC ( or get a cheap pogoplug). As long as it isn't a "record once" program, I can view any of these converted recordings on any of my wifi connected devices such as other PC's or dlna device(e.g., google TV) .
Thanks for the tip on MCEBuddy, I'll have to check it out. My only options are powerline or dlna, so I'll be trying both to see which works best. I'll be using 3 W7 laptops as clients or may switch one out for the Xbox 360, idk yet.
Question, If i'm using 3 powerline switches connected to the gigabit switch and the gigabit to the router, will I not getting gigabit ethernet? huh? does that make any sense eek.gif
post #1646 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You will not. You will most likely just have issues. I suppose with a little finagling you can bump the speed that way but would have to know how to pair the adapters together to share the load.
tahoejoe likes this.

post #1647 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Is it because the powerline switch doesn't support it? What speed does it support? In case of this is why i want to add the 450+ router.
post #1648 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Powerline adapter is more reliable than wireless. It isn't all about speed. It is about data rejection. A TV signal is to fast for retransmission of lost packets. When this happens you get pixelization because the replacement packet has not arrived before it is needed. The actual speed needed is only about 12 to 14 Mbps which is much less than a power line adapter puts out with a more reliable signal. Go with a powerline adapter or better yet, a MoCa adapter.

That said, I use an N300 wireless router to feed the TV signal to a Trendnet GWE 680MB bridge connected to my echo. It works most of the time unless I stand in one particular place in the room whereupon it pixelates..

post #1649 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

My only options are powerline or dlna, so I'll be trying both to see which works best. I'll be using 3 W7 laptops as clients or may switch one out for the Xbox 360, idk yet.
Question, If i'm using 3 powerline switches connected to the gigabit switch and the gigabit to the router, will I not getting gigabit ethernet? huh? does that make any sense eek.gif

I second MOCA. Been using it for 5 or 6 months and it works great. You may even find one that supports Gigabit, but I haven't needed it, at least not as far as the Prime is concerned. It gives you an Ethernet jack anywhere your cable line goes.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #1650 of 2139 Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well been watching some movies on stars and noticed quite a bit of pixelation and audio drops. My signal strength is at 96% and Signal Quality is around 91-93%. I did see it drop to 88% in Signal Quality. Are these normal values?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page