post #1651 of 2057 Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Well been watching some movies on stars and noticed quite a bit of pixelation and audio drops. My signal strength is at 96% and Signal Quality is around 91-93%. I did see it drop to 88% in Signal Quality. Are these normal values?
Symbol Quality is the one that will generally indicate a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2057 Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a way to tell which channels from my local cable company are flagged "copy once" before testing it via the HDHRP3-CC and WMC?

Steve
post #1653 of 2057 Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve265 View Post

Is there a way to tell which channels from my local cable company are flagged "copy once" before testing it via the HDHRP3-CC and WMC?

Steve

Before I got my Prime, I got Charter to give me this but it proved to be about 90% correct once I installed the Prime.

YMMV
Steve265 likes this.

post #1654 of 2057 Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Steve
sort of...from the tuner status page (CGI Protection unrestricted):
Steve265 likes this.
post #1655 of 2057 Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Quote:

Steve
sort of...from the tuner status page (CGI Protection unrestricted):

I guess I miss-read the question. Yes, it is possible before using WMC but not before using the Prime, as olyteddy pointed out. It is that tricky little boolean and that tripped me up. If the and is in fact what you meant then this is the way to do it. If you meant or then the answer is basically, "no, you can't do it unless your CableCo tells you up front."
Steve265 likes this.

post #1656 of 2057 Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 13
It depends on your wiring and room location. I got a lot more pixelization and total drops of signal over powerline and that was in a room that was directly above the router.. Since my n router and wireless extender are no more than ten feet apart, I get a much more reliable wireless signal than powerline. Incidentally, the circuit breaker box for my power, is located on the outside wall of my home office ( where my router is located) so even if though my two rooms are on separate circuits, it's not likely the wire runs between them are very long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Powerline adapter is more reliable than wireless. It isn't all about speed. It is about data rejection. A TV signal is to fast for retransmission of lost packets. When this happens you get pixelization because the replacement packet has not arrived before it is needed. The actual speed needed is only about 12 to 14 Mbps which is much less than a power line adapter puts out with a more reliable signal. Go with a powerline adapter or better yet, a MoCa adapter.

That said, I use an N300 wireless router to feed the TV signal to a Trendnet GWE 680MB bridge connected to my echo. It works most of the time unless I stand in one particular place in the room whereupon it pixelates..
post #1657 of 2057 Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Liked: 11
Sammy2 & olyteddy, thanks for the responses. I got an answer that I understand, which is more than I deserved based on how the question was phrased. In Roger Clemens (baseball player) parlance, I "mis-asked" the question. Although, I was not aware the Prime was so smart as to answer the question by itself. Sammy2 gets the brass ring for getting the jest of the question, but thumbs up to both of you for setting me straight.

Steve
Sammy2 likes this.
post #1658 of 2057 Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Symbol Quality is the one that will generally indicate a problem.

Ok thanks. For me that is 100%.
post #1659 of 2057 Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 10
Hey all,

So I posted on the SiliconDust forums but I figured I'd also mention this here:

I just got an HDHR3-CC yesterday and I can confirm that my Panasonic plasma purchased in Summer 2011 works with it. I'm new to all of this, so I can't figure out if it's because my TV is DTCP-IP compliant, or because Time Warner Cable in my area (central NC) doesn't secure its channels quite the way it does elsewhere. But it is working with the 'premium' channels - e.g., ESPN HD, NBC SN HD, and USA HD are all working perfectly. Image quality is pretty good too, though I get stuttering from time to time on some channels (like I do with the PS3). However, there's no sound!

If it helps, the plasma is a TC-P42S30. It sees all three tuners and it actually changes channels faster than my PS3 does - which is very surprising considering I highly doubt my TV's CPU is even on the same planet as the PS3's. It even seems that the image quality is better on the TV. It's not a very easy interface to use (have to go to VIERA tools) and of course there's no DVR capability. But then again the same goes for the PS3.

As far as the PS3...

Anyone have any suggestions for stuttering or cutting out? One time I managed to check the tuner status just as it was dropping out and it said streaming rate: none. Signal strength and quality both at 100%. Is the problem the PS3 or something else?

It's worse at some times than others but it's always there at least periodically. Sometimes it just gets a network error and stops playing altogether. PS3 and HDHR are connected by ethernet to the same router. Is stuttering and dropping just the nature of the beast, is there something up with my router/settings, or do I need to use a switch instead of the router's own?

Thanks smile.gif
post #1660 of 2057 Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not connect the Prime to your network and a PC connected to your network and use I t as your DVR? What you are doing is using the DLNA protocol which does not make for a very nice interface yet.

Check your symbol quality buy connecting the Prime to your network and going into the web GUI for the Prime. This could be where the stutter is coming from. Is this on specific channels or is it all or random?

post #1661 of 2057 Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Why not connect the Prime to your network and a PC connected to your network and use I t as your DVR? What you are doing is using the DLNA protocol which does not make for a very nice interface yet.

Check your symbol quality buy connecting the Prime to your network and going into the web GUI for the Prime. This could be where the stutter is coming from. Is this on specific channels or is it all or random?

The Prime and PS3 are both connected to my home network, which is basically structured as follows:

WAN -> Cable Modem -> Router 1 ............. Router 2 <- HDHR3-CC <- Tuning Adapter <- Coax

Router 2 is a wireless client bridge for router 1. My main desktop is connected to Router 1 by ethernet. The PS3 and my TV are both connected to router 2 by ethernet. I actually used to have both my cable modem and HDHR connected to router 2 (with router 1 as the client bridge) but I figured it would reduce clutter and help my DLNA quality if my internet traffic wasn't going through the same router as the PS3/HDHR.

The DLNA interface and lack of DVR aren't really bothering me very much. I don't have a WMC extender, and both of my computers are running Mac OS to begin with.

This is what my tuner0 status looks like:

When it drops on the PS3, the only thing that changes is the streaming rate which goes to 'none'.

It seems to be worse on some channels than others, but it's pretty much across the board. I haven't tested to see if SD vs HD makes a difference.
post #1662 of 2057 Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure as I don't really use the DLNA features of the Prime. I checked it out once for about an hour and moved on but I think one day it might lead to something.

If you haven't already, you may want to poke around in here.

post #1663 of 2057 Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850csi View Post

Quote:

The Prime and PS3 are both connected to my home network, which is basically structured as follows:

WAN -> Cable Modem -> Router 1 ............. Router 2 <- HDHR3-CC <- Tuning Adapter <- Coax

Router 2 is a wireless client bridge for router 1. My main desktop is connected to Router 1 by ethernet. The PS3 and my TV are both connected to router 2 by ethernet. I actually used to have both my cable modem and HDHR connected to router 2 (with router 1 as the client bridge) but I figured it would reduce clutter and help my DLNA quality if my internet traffic wasn't going through the same router as the PS3/HDHR.

The DLNA interface and lack of DVR aren't really bothering me very much. I don't have a WMC extender, and both of my computers are running Mac OS to begin with.

This is what my tuner0 status looks like:

When it drops on the PS3, the only thing that changes is the streaming rate which goes to 'none'.

It seems to be worse on some channels than others, but it's pretty much across the board. I haven't tested to see if SD vs HD makes a difference.

If I understand, your connections to both DLNA devices rely on a wireless signal feeding the bridge, is that correct?

I think the wireless is your problem. Test with ethernet to confirm. If not a viable final solution, investigate Powerline and MoCa as alternatives to wireless.
post #1664 of 2057 Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

If I understand, your connections to both DLNA devices rely on a wireless signal feeding the bridge, is that correct?

I think the wireless is your problem. Test with ethernet to confirm. If not a viable final solution, investigate Powerline and MoCa as alternatives to wireless.

No, the PS3, TV, and HDHR are all connected to router 2 by ethernet cable. Their link to the internet via router 1 is wireless, but not to the TV cable outlet/tuning adapter.

There's no sound on my TV using DLNA and DTCP-IP (well documented issue), but it actually tunes channels faster than the PS3 and suffers from less total dropouts. Really weird. They're all hooked up to the same router. It just doesn't make sense considering the PS3 is a far more powerful device.
post #1665 of 2057 Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850csi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

No, the PS3, TV, and HDHR are all connected to router 2 by ethernet cable. Their link to the internet via router 1 is wireless, but not to the TV cable outlet/tuning adapter.

There's no sound on my TV using DLNA and DTCP-IP (well documented issue), but it actually tunes channels faster than the PS3 and suffers from less total dropouts. Really weird. They're all hooked up to the same router. It just doesn't make sense considering the PS3 is a far more powerful device.

But your PS3 uses internet which comes through the wireless, right? If so, are you sure it's not sending your local bits over wireless as well? Try simplifying your setup in a way that no wireless is involved (maybe just power down router 1) and see how that impacts the behavior you are observing.
post #1666 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

When you say "second router" do you mean switch or wireless access point? Certainly try wired all the way from your main router connected to your modem to the PS3 and/or HDTV.

post #1667 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
So today Speed channel was rebranded as Fox Sports 1. I went into the HD Homerun Setup and rescanned the lineup. That changed the channel ID from SPEED to FOX SPORTS 1 HD. Then I went into media center and re-ran both the DCA program and TV guide set up, but it did not update the lineup there. The guide data still shows a now guide information for Speed, which are not the correct programming info. For example, my mce guide says 'hard parts: south bronx' is on when actually "nascar racing" is on. The comcast website and guide on the regular cablebox has updated appropriately. Please tell me there's a way to do this without having to reinstall Windows. How do I update this?

Also are any of you using MyChannelLogos XL and gotten an updated logo for Fox Sports 1?
post #1668 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You can't, the new channel mapping has to come from Comcast to your Cablecard (and then WMC). For the next couple of days anything you want to record on FS1 will have to be done manually until Comcast updates the channel. I have the same issue here on both Tivo and WMC w/Prime and had to schedule a manual record of the MotoGP race tomorrow because the guide still shows the wrong Speed stuff, but I'm sure Comcast will get it updated in the next few days.
post #1669 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

You can't, the new channel mapping has to come from Comcast to your Cablecard (and then WMC). For the next couple of days anything you want to record on FS1 will have to be done manually until Comcast updates the channel. I have the same issue here on both Tivo and WMC w/Prime and had to schedule a manual record of the MotoGP race tomorrow because the guide still shows the wrong Speed stuff, but I'm sure Comcast will get it updated in the next few days.

but if you start up quicktv or go into the hd homerun setup, it shows the correct channel ID as fox sports 1. are those two variables mutually exclusive then?
post #1670 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

You can download these and manually add them to MCL XL.

Here's the email I got from Charter. It would be nice if they indicated which channel numbers these are.. And I'm not pleased with losing the dedicated Fox Soccer Channel but at least the programming that remains will still be HD now. On the other hand, moving soccer into the new FS1 means that some of Speed's programming will be lost; but quite a bit of that was repeat programming anyhow.
Quote:
Important Programming Information
Dear Valued Customer,

FOX Sports 1
Effective August 17, 2013; Speed Channel will be replaced with FOX Sports 1, America's new 24-hour sports network. Fox Sports 1 will feature original programming, news, highlights and live coverage of sporting events including: NASCAR, UFC, College Football, College Basketball, UEFA Champions, Europa League and will be the new home for The Ultimate Fighter starting on Wednesday, September 4 at 10pm ET.

FXX
Effective on or after September 2, 2013; Fox Soccer will be replaced by FXX, which will feature iconic comedies like It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and The League plus a slate of blockbuster movies and other comedy favorites like Arrested Development.

World class soccer programming will be on FOX Sports 1 including UEFA and CONCACAF Champions League, UEFA Europa League as well as FOX Soccer Daily which takes the power of FOX Soccer and puts it into a daily news show on FOX Sports 1 weekdays at 4pm ET.

If you record It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The League or Totally Biased with Kamau Bell, please be advised that you will need to adjust your DVR recordings to accommodate the transition to FXX. In addition, if you record The Ultimate Fighter please adjust your DVR recordings to accommodate the transition to FOX Sports 1.

Plus, never miss an episode of your favorite shows, like Family Guy, Bones, American Dad, Raising Hope, New Girl, So You Think You Can Dance and more with FOX On Demand. Catch up anytime you want, in the comfort of your own home – you can't get that with satellite!

Thank you,

Charter Communications

post #1671 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 15
Whenever there are guide issues such as these, check out zap2it and see if it is correct there as usually it has to be correct there for about 24 hours before WMC will see the update. If it is not correct there, tell them as they usually have good turnaround. If it is correct there sometimes the guide "number" has changed for your area and you need to rerun tuner setup and choose the correct guide.

As for losing Fox Soccer to FXX, that has been mentioned as something fox was doing since at least January and comes from them losing rights to (E)PL last October to Comcast/NBC Universal.
post #1672 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Zap2it has it listed as such:

"740 Fox Sports 1 HD" in my area. I manually edited the channel to be FS1HD and put in the logo in MCL. In a couple weeks I will edit 410 which is FoxSoccre right now when the FXX change comes forward.

post #1673 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 15
Sammy2, is your guide also messed up or are you just commenting on the logos. My first comment was for the person who had incorrect guide data and mentioned they were on comcast while you are on charter so I don't know if that comcast lineup has been changed over at zap2it...

WMC gets its channel information and guide data from the same company that provides zap2it. It usually does not care what the channel map calls the channel as it requests to tune channel by virtual channel number but it has had problems in the past of not liking to add new channel numbers to cablecard lineups even after the cablecard map has added the channel... if the number exists in the guide, it is possible to change the guide data to that of another channel... I had to do this once when several channels switched feeds from east to west but I can't remember if I needed to (temporarily) add another lineup to my analog tuner to pull the guide data that included those feeds into my system or if that capability was in guidetool. I know many cable companies get their guide data from a competitor and they also know when the change actually takes place and have less chance of guide error because of this. For instance the last time my provider changed the location of a channel, the scheduled change date (in the letter I got and I assume they sent the same information to the guide companies) was 4 days after they actually made the change, in this case, zap decided to wait until the scheduled change date and actually informed me of that 2 days after my report. Another time, there was a scheduled change that was delayed 6 weeks... this time zap2it had implemented the changes before they actually took place and it took a few days longer than usual to convince them that the changes had not occurred yet... all other times, with the exception of a few weeks ago that syfy changed their saturday lineup for a special rebroadcasting of sharknado and the only change they made to their listings was sharknado, not the other movies scheduled that day, my requests have been promptly fixed within a day or two. I do not want to make this sound like a common occurrence (after all, how often do your channel lineups change) but I suspect have a few more times communicating with them than most as I support people in a dozen areas/providers.

As for the logos, I am not sure how MCL maps these logos as it may just scrape the guide to map them which may cause you to manually map a logo and/or import new logos if they don't have them yet. By the way, I probably should have done something similar as for about a year, my HD channels listed a channel as GREENHD for what was Planet Green when it got changed to Destination America... the SD channel got its name changed real quick but the hd did not, it did not bother me much as the listings were correct, just not the name of the channel.
post #1674 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

Sammy2, is your guide also messed up or are you just commenting on the logos. My first comment was for the person who had incorrect guide data and mentioned they were on comcast while you are on charter so I don't know if that comcast lineup has been changed over at zap2it...

WMC gets its channel information and guide data from the same company that provides zap2it. It usually does not care what the channel map calls the channel as it requests to tune channel by virtual channel number but it has had problems in the past of not liking to add new channel numbers to cablecard lineups even after the cablecard map has added the channel... if the number exists in the guide, it is possible to change the guide data to that of another channel... I had to do this once when several channels switched feeds from east to west but I can't remember if I needed to (temporarily) add another lineup to my analog tuner to pull the guide data that included those feeds into my system or if that capability was in guidetool. I know many cable companies get their guide data from a competitor and they also know when the change actually takes place and have less chance of guide error because of this. For instance the last time my provider changed the location of a channel, the scheduled change date (in the letter I got and I assume they sent the same information to the guide companies) was 4 days after they actually made the change, in this case, zap decided to wait until the scheduled change date and actually informed me of that 2 days after my report. Another time, there was a scheduled change that was delayed 6 weeks... this time zap2it had implemented the changes before they actually took place and it took a few days longer than usual to convince them that the changes had not occurred yet... all other times, with the exception of a few weeks ago that syfy changed their saturday lineup for a special rebroadcasting of sharknado and the only change they made to their listings was sharknado, not the other movies scheduled that day, my requests have been promptly fixed within a day or two. I do not want to make this sound like a common occurrence (after all, how often do your channel lineups change) but I suspect have a few more times communicating with them than most as I support people in a dozen areas/providers.

As for the logos, I am not sure how MCL maps these logos as it may just scrape the guide to map them which may cause you to manually map a logo and/or import new logos if they don't have them yet. By the way, I probably should have done something similar as for about a year, my HD channels listed a channel as GREENHD for what was Planet Green when it got changed to Destination America... the SD channel got its name changed real quick but the hd did not, it did not bother me much as the listings were correct, just not the name of the channel.

It took me less than 5 minutes to manually apply the change.. Charter even emailed the logos to me!

post #1675 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zap2it has it listed as such:

"740 Fox Sports 1 HD" in my area. I manually edited the channel to be FS1HD and put in the logo in MCL. In a couple weeks I will edit 410 which is FoxSoccre right now when the FXX change comes forward.

So I was having some issues with the video driver on my windows box, so i reinstalled windows. Now that it is all set up, I see that hd homerun has updated the listing to FOX Sports 1 HD, and windows has downloaded all the correct guide information for it. However, on all my other computers, the guide information has NOT updated, and the old speed channel information remains. So what gives? Clearly Zap2it has updated the correct data, am i supposed to reinstall windows on all my computers to get fox sports with the correct data to show up? or will it eventually get updated, but since the other computer was a new build, it updated right away and others will over time?
post #1676 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

So I was having some issues with the video driver on my windows box, so i reinstalled windows. Now that it is all set up, I see that hd homerun has updated the listing to FOX Sports 1 HD, and windows has downloaded all the correct guide information for it. However, on all my other computers, the guide information has NOT updated, and the old speed channel information remains. So what gives? Clearly Zap2it has updated the correct data, am i supposed to reinstall windows on all my computers to get fox sports with the correct data to show up? or will it eventually get updated, but since the other computer was a new build, it updated right away and others will over time?
I have Verizon FiOS. The WMC guide was still showing programming for SPEED channel on 583 but Zap2it was showing programming for FS1 on 583. I just told WMC to "Get Latest Guide Listings" from the task menu and it updated the channel name and programming to the correct FS1 info.
post #1677 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

^^Yes. Just update your guide manually. Don't reinstall windows for this.

post #1678 of 2057 Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

well I rescanned the channels in hd homerun prime then followed this guide for my other computer to clear the media center guide and data, then re-ran mce setup, which fixed it:

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clearing-guide-data-and-tuner-setup-from-windows-7-media-center.html
post #1679 of 2057 Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Why would you want to do that to change one channel in the guide? It is much easier to just edit that one channel, IMHO.

I can see the usefullness of that if you were to move and have a different provider or if your current provider re-mapped their line up, which BTW Charter needs to do. It is so disorganized with no groupings of similar content. When they add a channel they just squeeze it in whereever without any thought about it all.

post #1680 of 2057 Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah you were right, on yet another computer, all I had to do was update the guide manually and the new channel info and id showed up automatically. For the life of me, I could not get it to update on my sony vaio which is why I looked up how to do the media center reset.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page