HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1711 of 2139 Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All. I read through the thread here while I waited for my Prime to arrive. Lots of good info. Thanks.

I have it set up and all seems to be working fine. Right now, I am using a WD TV Live. It's working fine except that I can not get it to look anywhere on my shared drive/path for movies I have on drive F. If anyone has any tips, that would be appreciated.

As I understand things, if I want to pause live tv, or maybe like a 15 second "replay", I need to use an Xbox or an MCE. I have seen several extenders. Some labeled XP, Vista or even Xbox MCE. So my question is would any or all of these work on my Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium media center computer, or are they specific?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2139 Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 181
WD Live is a DLNA device that only supports live streaming of CATV and there is no EPG or PVR functionality.

For extenders your choices are the following for Win7:

Currently produced:
Ceton Echo
Microsoft Xbox

Out of production but maybe available on eBay or Craigs:
HP
Linksys

Take a look here for more information.

I have an echo and although it gets a bad wrap mine works quite well and I have no complaints about it.

As far as getting to the drive F: local content I believe you need to set up a SAMBA share and may need to password protect it and then use the password to access it from the WD Live.

post #1713 of 2139 Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had similar problems with my WDTV LIVE and it was the permisions for sharing files in win 7 that aren't set right. Pretty sure there is a thread here somewhere that has the settings needed to make it work as I used them and all my shared folders then worked. You don't need to set a password unless you want to once you get things setup right. I don't remeber if I setup a samba share or not but mine still works when I get the folders setup properly so search out the how to share thread for the live and it should help you.
post #1714 of 2139 Old 09-01-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

This may help.

The WD Live may be different but to share drives to my Patriot Box Office PBO Core streamer, I need to input the password of my PC to get it to show up.

post #1715 of 2139 Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
this isnt necessarily a hd homerun comment, but MyChannelLogos automatically updated the fox sports 1 logo and applied it to my guide! I didnt even know it could do that autonomously.
post #1716 of 2139 Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I had similar problems with my WDTV LIVE and it was the permisions for sharing files in win 7 that aren't set right. Pretty sure there is a thread here somewhere that has the settings needed to make it work as I used them and all my shared folders then worked. You don't need to set a password unless you want to once you get things setup right. I don't remeber if I setup a samba share or not but mine still works when I get the folders setup properly so search out the how to share thread for the live and it should help you.

This video produces working Windows 7 shares for WDTV devices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQstgQ4eJCM

Google found this thread, but I haven't used it.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1194088/wdtv-live-windows7-x32-x64-how-to-share-your-files-tutorial
post #1717 of 2139 Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am on twc in the Austin tx area. We recently got a new channel added a couple of days ago to our lineup. It is the longhorn network (ch 1593). I can see the channel in the listing on the hdhr setup when I scan for channels. However in WMC this channel does not show up. I have forced WMC to update the guide and channels but the new channel hasn't appeared. Any suggestions on how to get it to show up in the guide?
post #1718 of 2139 Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

I am on twc in the Austin tx area. We recently got a new channel added a couple of days ago to our lineup. It is the longhorn network (ch 1593). I can see the channel in the listing on the hdhr setup when I scan for channels. However in WMC this channel does not show up. I have forced WMC to update the guide and channels but the new channel hasn't appeared. Any suggestions on how to get it to show up in the guide?

Is it in your current package?
Do you have SDV?
You may need to have your CableCARD re-paired to get the channel to actually tune.

post #1719 of 2139 Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Is it in your current package?
Do you have SDV?
You may need to have your CableCARD re-paired to get the channel to actually tune.
Yes I have sdv and it is apart of my package. It is apart of the extended basic lineup which I have. Guess I will give good ol twc a call.
post #1720 of 2139 Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Liked: 15
Check zap2it first... if it is there, wait another day, if its not, let them know (don't mention WMC, just let them know they are missing a channel). On Saturday, it was not up yet on zap2it. From what I could tell, the channel was announced for carriage on (either Thursday or) Friday and went live on Saturday (though some reports said Friday) and with the holiday weekend, you might need to wait until Tuesday before anyone actually sees the numerous tickets about the missing channel.

Since TWC transmits nearly everything as copy once, you need WMC (or a PS3 to watch it live) and to view it in WMC, it must show up in the guide. The guide data is provided by the same service as zap2it and they tend to get things right quickly. Once it is up on zap2it, it should show up automatically in WMC within a day or two... sometimes you can force it to show up a little quicker (12-24 hours) by rerunning tuner setup as my experience forced guide updates don't update the channel list as quickly as tuner setup does (they tend to lag about 6-12 hours behind getting it through tuner setup and usually do it automatically over night.

By the way, all the reports I have read mention 1593 (for autsin/waco) but I don't know if anyone turned in a request for the SD version (I know of at least a dozen that have turned it in for HD)... I think the SD version for those areas is 444 but I haven't confirmed it with anyone

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/08/time-warner-cable-launches-longhorn-network/
post #1721 of 2139 Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. I checked zap2it and it still does not have the hd ch 1593 yet. Luckily I don't need that channel right now but will by Saturday. I will check on Tuesday to see if it has been updated.
post #1722 of 2139 Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Btw the sd version is 444 so you are correct.
post #1723 of 2139 Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Still no update on the zap2it site. I have submitted a ticket with them on Tuesday but I assume they are backlogged from over the weekend on this request.
post #1724 of 2139 Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Can I use a hd homerun + roku + plex to watch live tv and change channels?
post #1725 of 2139 Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 12
I have 2 HDHomerun Primes running the 4/5/2012 firmware & have issues with the Cisco STA1520 tuning adapters not always tuning in some SDV channels, so I have to reboot the tuning adapters every few weeks.

Does anyone know if the new firmware for the Prime fixes this problem or is this a problem with the tuning adapter? I really don't want to update the firmware & introduce new problems. I searched the Silicondust forums & didn't really find anything.
post #1726 of 2139 Old 09-06-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

I have 2 HDHomerun Primes running the 4/5/2012 firmware & have issues with the Cisco STA1520 tuning adapters not always tuning in some SDV channels, so I have to reboot the tuning adapters every few weeks.

Does anyone know if the new firmware for the Prime fixes this problem or is this a problem with the tuning adapter? I really don't want to update the firmware & introduce new problems. I searched the Silicondust forums & didn't really find anything.

I have always had issues with my Prime and my SDV TA (not sure what brand) where I have to frequently reboot to get all the channels. It has become more of an inconvenience to even use anymore.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #1727 of 2139 Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

Can I use a hd homerun + roku + plex to watch live tv and change channels?

I have the same question....will this work with roku or maybe even chromecast?
post #1728 of 2139 Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I have always had issues with my Prime and my SDV TA (not sure what brand) where I have to frequently reboot to get all the channels. It has become more of an inconvenience to even use anymore.

I have swapped out my TA several times now. I think I'm currently on my third one. This one appears to be a bit more stable than the others I have gotten. If you have issues just take it back and get another one until you get one that works. It is annoying and I would prefer not to have one but TWC requires it.

UPDATE: Zap2IT finally updated their guide to include the LHN (HD 1593) so will need to re-run the setup and hopefully will see the new channel. Just in time for Saturday's game.
post #1729 of 2139 Old 09-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

I have a workaround. Get a plugin timer (one of the digital ones that preserve the current time when the power goes out) and set it to turn off at 4:00 AM and turn back on at 4:01 AM every night or even once a week on a Sunday. Plug your tuning adapter into it and see if that helps any. My TA was having issues every month or so with my Ceton InfiniTV so I restart it weekly now. Haven't had any issues since.
post #1730 of 2139 Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Liked: 27
Looks like the OTA transcoding tuner is up for preorder on NewEgg. $149.99. Only has two tuners (for some reason I thought it had 4....). Release date of 12/12/13.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=SiliconDust+HDHomeRun&N=-1&isNodeId=1
post #1731 of 2139 Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 AM

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

Looks like the OTA transcoding tuner is up for preorder on NewEgg. $149.99. Only has two tuners (for some reason I thought it had 4....). Release date of 12/12/13.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=SiliconDust+HDHomeRun&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I saw that this morning, and it interested me. I need to read up on it, but it looks like it's time to revisit using one of these HomeRun boxes. A 4 tuner version might work out well for my needs.

post #1732 of 2139 Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

That is not the CableCARD tuner. Stay tuned for that. It was supposed to be out in late Spring but we all know how that goes.

post #1733 of 2139 Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 27
Correct. This is the over the air model only. No word from SD re the cable card model. Actually, no official announcement on SD's website either (as far as I can tell) regarding the OTA model.
post #1734 of 2139 Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM

I Just ordered the home run prime 3 tuner. I have Comcast in York PA and they are encrypting everything not even my limited basic. I's my understanding this is coming to all markets they serve..

My questions are: did Comcast give me the correct Cable Card? They gave me something labeled PowerKEY Multistream by Cisco Model PKM801

What networking is going to be best with this? I am out of ports in my router so I ordered a Gigabit 8 port undamaged switch. one pc only has a 10/100 NIC the other 10/1001000 NIC. Am I going to need to upgrade the one pc to gigabit for the best performance?

I am assuming I want to keep the HomeRun and PC's that use the tuner on the switch and avoid wireless.

I have been told I will get all the HD that my package has for no extra cost as before hopefully this is true also.....

Thanks in advance
post #1735 of 2139 Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1273 View Post

I Just ordered the home run prime 3 tuner. I have Comcast in York PA and they are encrypting everything not even my limited basic. I's my understanding this is coming to all markets they serve..

My questions are: did Comcast give me the correct Cable Card? They gave me something labeled PowerKEY Multistream by Cisco Model PKM801

What networking is going to be best with this? I am out of ports in my router so I ordered a Gigabit 8 port undamaged switch. one pc only has a 10/100 NIC the other 10/1001000 NIC. Am I going to need to upgrade the one pc to gigabit for the best performance?

I am assuming I want to keep the HomeRun and PC's that use the tuner on the switch and avoid wireless.

I have been told I will get all the HD that my package has for no extra cost as before hopefully this is true also.....

Thanks in advance

As long as the card Comcast gave you is the M-Card, you should be fine. Using the Prime on a wired gigabit network is best as its how I have mine connected. The Prime is also made to run on Gigabit, but should do fine with PC's with 10/100 NIC's (as the Ceton PCIe card does).

I recently got a Prime myself and I am loving it...much better performance for network use over the Ceton PCIe card. My area all of my Comcast channels are copy freely except the premium channels.
post #1736 of 2139 Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Quote:

Thanks in advance

As long as the card Comcast gave you is the M-Card, you should be fine. Using the Prime on a wired gigabit network is best as its how I have mine connected. The Prime is also made to run on Gigabit, but should do fine with PC's with 10/100 NIC's (as the Ceton PCIe card does).

I recently got a Prime myself and I am loving it...much better performance for network use over the Ceton PCIe card. My area all of my Comcast channels are copy freely except the premium channels.

For me with Charter, they start copy protection on what they call Digi-Tiers which include not all of the sports channels but definitely things like Paladia, AXS and UniversalHD.

post #1737 of 2139 Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Let's hope it's undamaged. Mightn't work otherwise... wink.gif Kidding aside, each channel you stream tops out below 20Mbps so 100Mbps is fine for the tuner.
post #1738 of 2139 Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM

OPPS!! I meant UN-managed...... sometimes spell check is your worse enema!

I do notice that sometimes when I stream Mp4 videos over the local network from one pc to the other it's not as smooth so hopping to maybe update some of the network to gig speed will help.

Thanks for the response again. So the cable card they gave me seems like it might be correct? I suppose I will find out when amazon gets the Tuner here and I set it up:D
post #1739 of 2139 Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I went in to the local service center after two calls to the call center and one call the cable card toll free number. at the cable card help number they were to note my account for the local idiots that I would be picking up a cable card and needed a "M" Card. they actually recommended the HD home run prime3 or Infinitv6 once a smart normal call center rep told me to call the cable card folks.

They gave me a Cisco Card the says Multistream on the label. So hoping that's correct. Asking for it at the local place was actually more painless than I expected. The lady did try to up sell me to a dvr box once, as she claimed it was better... I told here I was not interested and if the service cant be made to work with windows media center I was canceling and installing a big ugly antenna.

Do any of you get the $2.50 equipment credit I read about somewhere?
post #1740 of 2139 Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
[quote name="
Do any of you get the $2.50 equipment credit I read about somewhere?[/quote]

Yes it shows up on my bill.

Bob
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version