Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1801 of 2198 Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've started getting what looks like a handshake issue. On first attempt to tune a channel after wake I get a black screen but full audio. Change the channel once and video returns. No other issues. It doesn't seem to affect scheduled recordings, just live TV.
Details: Win7 64, WMC, HDHRP, FIOS TV, wired LAN, AMD APU with latest Cats.

Known issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2198 Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

If you have a managed switch on your gigabit network, then the answer might be yes, depending on what the management software provides (many provide browser-based monitoring).

If not, and you have a spare PC, you can setup that PC with the network sniffer software called wireshark.
wireshark link

So after reinstalling windows and trying various driver updates/combinations, im still no where to getting a solution to my problem. So as a test, I taped "PTI on espn". Then upon playback, the stutter does NOT occur at the same point in the recorded video every time. It occurs randomly during playback. So I think that rules out a network issue, or a hard drive issue. It seems like a cpu, chipset or video driver issue?
post #1803 of 2198 Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Definitely does not rule out a network issue since those can occur at different times, unfortunately I have nothing else to offer. There was a thread here with someone claiming that certain Intel NICs have problems with the Prime but that was between the HTPC and the Prime, your issue is between the laptop and the HTPC right?
post #1804 of 2198 Old 12-26-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
In my experience the 4000 series GPU in your laptop lacks the horsepower for smooth 1080p. I think that's the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1805 of 2198 Old 12-26-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

In my experience the 4000 series GPU in your laptop lacks the horsepower for smooth 1080p. I think that's the problem.

In my experience, your setup which provided your experience must have been configured inappropriately
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

So after reinstalling windows and trying various driver updates/combinations, im still no where to getting a solution to my problem. So as a test, I taped "PTI on espn". Then upon playback, the stutter does NOT occur at the same point in the recorded video every time. It occurs randomly during playback. So I think that rules out a network issue, or a hard drive issue. It seems like a cpu, chipset or video driver issue?

You have the Dell E6520 https://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e6520/pd correct?

We use that laptop at work, and it is generally a pain in the rear. Primarily since our IT group prefers to push updates that reset all my power management settings back to max every time.

The i7 in our 6520s is ivy bridge with HD3000 and NVIDIA 4200M (512MB)

The two cards are switched with Optimus, but there isn't really a great Optimus control panel

If you think the hd3000 gpu is giving issue, then you can use the dell bios to disable Optimus. (F2 during boot) In the bios under video settings should be an option to disable Optimus. This will use the 4200M for everything.

If you want to try the hd3000 for everything, then you'll need to go into the Nvidia Control Panel. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under the 3D Settings area of the control panel tree. You should see "Global Settings and Program Settings"

From there you can either go to Program Settings and select WMC then choose the preferred graphics card, or choose one globally if you want.

Also, try toggling the PCI Express -> Link State Power Management settings up to Maximum Performance in Control Panel -> Power Settings -> Advanced Plan Settings.
post #1806 of 2198 Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

In my experience, your setup which provided your experience must have been configured inappropriately.
Sorry, my mistake. I missed the Nvidia part. I was thinking ATI.

post #1807 of 2198 Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

In my experience, your setup which provided your experience must have been configured inappropriately
You have the Dell E6520 https://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e6520/pd correct?

We use that laptop at work, and it is generally a pain in the rear. Primarily since our IT group prefers to push updates that reset all my power management settings back to max every time.

The i7 in our 6520s is ivy bridge with HD3000 and NVIDIA 4200M (512MB)

The two cards are switched with Optimus, but there isn't really a great Optimus control panel

If you think the hd3000 gpu is giving issue, then you can use the dell bios to disable Optimus. (F2 during boot) In the bios under video settings should be an option to disable Optimus. This will use the 4200M for everything.

If you want to try the hd3000 for everything, then you'll need to go into the Nvidia Control Panel. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under the 3D Settings area of the control panel tree. You should see "Global Settings and Program Settings"

From there you can either go to Program Settings and select WMC then choose the preferred graphics card, or choose one globally if you want.

Also, try toggling the PCI Express -> Link State Power Management settings up to Maximum Performance in Control Panel -> Power Settings -> Advanced Plan Settings.

disabling Optimus from the BIOS and using the NVIDIA 4200M fixes one issue: When cold booting the laptop with the HDMI cable plugged in. The laptop screen never turned OFF. It just remained ON while showing a completely black screen, if that makes sense. The video would be displayed as normal on the TV/display connected to the HDMI out but the laptop screen would remain active, until you either toggled the HDMI output on/off or turned on the external monitor after the laptop completely booted to the desktop.

I always assumed that this was an HDMI handshake issue, but disabling the Optimus from the BIOS (A18) completely fixes that issue. Alas the stuttering remains.

I have tried everything you suggested, running just the laptop with the intel graphics, or the nvidia 4200M, as well as the PCIE power settings. Makes no difference. I've even tried running MCE fullscreen using the laptop's internal display, and not connected to the HDMI output, still randomly stutters.

Does it matter that I've been using updated drivers than what dell provides from the intel and nvidia sites, respectively? should I just use the stock drivers, or better yet, drivers from just the cab file dell provides?
post #1808 of 2198 Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you try using another PC to see if you can eliminate the network as a cause, or do you already know it's an issue with just the laptop?
post #1809 of 2198 Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

i have a 2012 mac mini bootcamped to windows 7, along with 3 other laptops where there is absolutely no stuttering or any other issues, so i KNOW my network is not the issue. Also, I taped a program and then watched it back on this computer and the stuttering was not occurring at the same time points, during each replay, which also rules out a networking issue.

It's some setting that needs to be changed, I just dont know what. Last night I reinstalled the OS once again, and this time I used just the default drivers available from the dell website (not the newest drivers available from intel/nvidia as I had been using). After installation, I went into the NVIDIA control panel to disable 'automatic contrast compensation' or whatever they call it in order to deal with the 29/59 issue we all are familiar with. Anyway, with the default drivers, no matter what setting i choose, the 29/59 contrast adjustments did NOTHING. NO difference if the option is checked or unchecked in the control panel. However, running windows update and getting the updated NVIDIA driver from the microsoft site fixes that issue.

So this is definitely some sort of driver/settings issue but Im definitely stumped.
post #1810 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
For those still interested, looks like SiliconDust is getting ready to release the 6 tuner CC model. Still no release date, but according to MissingRemote.com, retail price of only $150!!!! https://twitter.com/missingremote/status/420688274969997312

Also, releasing an Android app for streaming, I'm guessing via DLNA? https://twitter.com/missingremote/status/420656201798410240

And finally, maybe something coming in a partnership with Plex?? https://twitter.com/missingremote/status/420753570149851137
post #1811 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Newegg has this listed for release next week. It says it streams five channels at once but only indicates it as a 2 tuner box. Does not look like it supports CableCARD though.

post #1812 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

For those still interested, looks like SiliconDust is getting ready to release the 6 tuner CC model. Still no release date, but according to MissingRemote.com, retail price of only $150!!!! https://twitter.com/missingremote/status/420688274969997312

Also, releasing an Android app for streaming, I'm guessing via DLNA? https://twitter.com/missingremote/status/420656201798410240

And finally, maybe something coming in a partnership with Plex?? https://twitter.com/missingremote/status/420753570149851137
Awesome, 6 tuners for $150 will convince me to move away from my Ceton PCIe 4 tuners, for sure.
post #1813 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

It would be my guess that even though they call it DCT, it will be just ATSC/ClearQAM hexa-tuner, not CableCARD hexa-tuner.

But, man, am I going to have to eat my words, and have HUGE buyer's remorse for buying Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH for $250, if it is indeed a CableCARD hexa-tuner for $150.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #1814 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Newegg has this listed for release next week. It says it streams five channels at once but only indicates it as a 2 tuner box. Does not look like it supports CableCARD though.

Interesting. I think with current HomeRun ATSC tuners, you can tune the sub channels within the same channel using just 1 tuner, i.e. you can tune 2.1, 2.2, 2.3... only using single tuner, but not with WMC.

I wonder if that is what they mean by 5 streaming channels from 2 tuners.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #1815 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

It would be my guess that even though they call it DCT, it will be just ATSC/ClearQAM hexa-tuner, not CableCARD hexa-tuner.

But, man, am I going to have to eat my words, and have HUGE buyer's remorse for buying Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH for $250, if it is indeed a CableCARD hexa-tuner for $150.

I think it is a CC model, because missingremote also posted a picture right afterwards of the CC model (clearly CC model because can see CC slot)

https://twitter.com/missingremote/status/420656325308067840
post #1816 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I saw that. If that's true, I'd ditch my Ceton in a heartbeat.

post #1817 of 2198 Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

i have a 2012 mac mini bootcamped to windows 7, along with 3 other laptops where there is absolutely no stuttering or any other issues, so i KNOW my network is not the issue. Also, I taped a program and then watched it back on this computer and the stuttering was not occurring at the same time points, during each replay, which also rules out a networking issue.

It's some setting that needs to be changed, I just dont know what. Last night I reinstalled the OS once again, and this time I used just the default drivers available from the dell website (not the newest drivers available from intel/nvidia as I had been using). After installation, I went into the NVIDIA control panel to disable 'automatic contrast compensation' or whatever they call it in order to deal with the 29/59 issue we all are familiar with. Anyway, with the default drivers, no matter what setting i choose, the 29/59 contrast adjustments did NOTHING. NO difference if the option is checked or unchecked in the control panel. However, running windows update and getting the updated NVIDIA driver from the microsoft site fixes that issue.

So this is definitely some sort of driver/settings issue but Im definitely stumped.

Thought I should pass this on. Stuttering started for in my situation when I upgraded to the latest beta and use the HDHR Prime with my Mac using VLC. The issue does NOT happen with a windows media center box using the same network topology. Even more frustrating is the inability to downgrade the firmware to get ride of this issue.
post #1818 of 2198 Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HDHomerun Prime 3CC on sale at woot for $89.99. Very tempting.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #1819 of 2198 Old 01-09-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Tremendous deal if we get a 6-tuner CC box for $150, and Android app is just icing on the cake. This will kill Ceton at retail. I'm guessing this will have the built-in transcoder right?
post #1820 of 2198 Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Tremendous deal if we get a 6-tuner CC box for $150, and Android app is just icing on the cake. This will kill Ceton at retail. I'm guessing this will have the built-in transcoder right?
At the $150 pricepoint, I highly doubt it'll have the transcoder. If you look at the HDHomerun Plus prices you'll see there's a big premium introduced by the transcoder.
post #1821 of 2198 Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post

Thought I should pass this on. Stuttering started for in my situation when I upgraded to the latest beta and use the HDHR Prime with my Mac using VLC. The issue does NOT happen with a windows media center box using the same network topology. Even more frustrating is the inability to downgrade the firmware to get ride of this issue.

are you talking about the firmware on the HDHR? I have not touched that since I installed it. In any case, I'm sort of used to it. I messed with it enough, now im just tired.
post #1822 of 2198 Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Looks like NNate is correct, $150 CC 6 tuner will not have encoding. But still, damn good deal when compared to InfinitTV 6.

Also, guide data deal with Gracenote. Haven't heard of them, but if they can get guide data and DLNA, that would be pretty awesome.

http://www.missingremote.com/news/2014-01-13/silicondust-ces2014
post #1823 of 2198 Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Anyone give the recent firmware / software update from Silicone Dust a try? (Jan 21 2014 release)

I'm not brave enough and haven't seen any postings on their own forum or here yet.

Things are working fine for me and don't see myself using DLNA yet but I'd update for general bug fixes once someone gives it a go for a few nights of recording, etc....
post #1824 of 2198 Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
So far none of the updates, even the betas, has cuased any issues for me. I think they are pretty good about releasing things that actually work but of course if your worried wait for a few users to report in. Didn't know a new release was out so guess I'll have to try it.
post #1825 of 2198 Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

I just installed it with no (apparent) problems.
post #1826 of 2198 Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 AM

So far nothing but it has only been a day.
post #1827 of 2198 Old 01-26-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Did the update yesterday after getting settled in for the night and it was happily recording all my stuff today earlier while I was surfing and editing captures I have saved up.
I had it manually search the channels after it was done becuase they rearranged a few of the music channels and I also noticed it now has a DRM icon by any restricted copy type channels which is great and will keep me from wasting time capturing copy once or worse stuff. Never noticed that one before so think it's a new feature and a good idea.
post #1828 of 2198 Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please correct me if I am wrong...

The number of tuners represents the number of simultaneous connections of live TV?

I have 5 TVs in the house, but a four tuner card will be more than enough (unless multiple programs are recording in the same time slot).

The five TVs would be connected in the following manner.

Htpc server
Htpc
Xbox 360
Xbox 360
Xbox 360

Is there any reason this setup would not be able to replace the five DirecTV setup boxes, multiple room DVR and HD shared service I currently pay for?

I know I will have to switch to A cablecard and service from Cox and drop DirecTV. What are my options for a replacement to Sunday Ticket next year?
post #1829 of 2198 Old 01-26-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

Please correct me if I am wrong...

The number of tuners represents the number of simultaneous connections of live TV?

I have 5 TVs in the house, but a four tuner card will be more than enough (unless multiple programs are recording in the same time slot).

The five TVs would be connected in the following manner.

Htpc server
Htpc
Xbox 360
Xbox 360
Xbox 360

Is there any reason this setup would not be able to replace the five DirecTV setup boxes, multiple room DVR and HD shared service I currently pay for?

I know I will have to switch to A cablecard and service from Cox and drop DirecTV. What are my options for a replacement to Sunday Ticket next year?

Sounds accurate. Just be careful in your # of tuner planning because if you have shows that start as another one ends on another channel it will eat up 2 tuners if you have them set to start early & end late even if it's just a minute each direction. So if you record three hour-long shows on the same channel at say 7:00, 8:00 & 9:00 on the same channel you can get away with one tuner since you would have all three hours with a minute early start at 6:59 & a minute late end at 10:01. Now, if the middle show is on another channel you'll now use two tuners at different times. This is where a lot of people can under-estimate the # of tuners they use. We have six tuners total and I'm surprised how many times that's nearly not enough and we're only two people who are medium TV watchers compared to some we know with families and more favorite shows. Just food for thought.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #1830 of 2198 Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are local channels included with the cablecards?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page