Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1891 of 2139 Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Specifically, the PS3 is the most commonly used client for DTCP to protected channels.

Here's the SD forum with lists of devices that may work. You'll have to do some digging there if you really want DTCP though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2139 Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenV99 View Post

Hi,

After trying everything I could to get my Panasonic TC-P55ST30 TV to tune my Comcast scrambled channels via the HDHomeRun Prime (including installing multiple different dlna servers on my PC), I finally bought a refurb Roku3 from NewEgg for $69.95 USD. I installed a small server app called HDHRFling (http://hdhrfling.com/) on a PC on my network, paid another $15 USD and installed a 'private channel' on the Roku and I finally can watch all of my channels except for my paid HBO. As a plus, there is a rudimentary channel guide as well.

I almost went down the route of buying a mini computer based on Android (about the same price) and installing XBMC, but I have a full-fledged HTPC with XBMC and it requires significant stroking and tweaking. I was pleasantly surprised that I had the Roku up and working in about a half-hour. I just wanted to share the experience for anyone else out there frustrated with an incompatible TV. It's not the cheapest solution out there, but at this point, I am very pleased.

Interesting setup for Roku users. Thanks for sharing

A few thoughts and experiences of mine . . .
  • I was successful at using both the PS3 and a sony bravia smart tv to tune channels (the experience sucked on both with only a "folder full of channels" to choose from)
  • The hdhrfling app looks interesting, and it's nice they provide a tv guide to the roku
  • I'll admit the main instance of XBMC you have to setup takes some effort to keep managed, but have you ever setup additional boxes using mysql on the central server instance? I'm hoping to make a video of this and post it sometime, but I can easily install OpenELEC, copy over an advancedsettings.xml file, install my preferred skin, and configure the viewtypes and wmc.pvr add-on in around 10 minutes or less (depending on whether you count the amount of time it takes to extract the OpenELEC tar.gz file and run create_installstick.bat) -- then watched status, artwork, tv guide with channel icons, recording schedule, and recordings directory are all synchronized, no scraping or anything else required
  • I've been waiting quite sometime for a new Pivos XIOS DS to arrive, or some android box with enough oomph to feel like an x86 computer running openelec. That way it would be even simpler, no build time
post #1893 of 2139 Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use an external hard drive for recording live tv and yesterday I started getting the disk full error in wmc during live tv. I've deleted the RecordTV folder and recreated it. My computer Dell XPS8700 is only used for WMC and two extenders. The internal hard drive has 850GB of storage space free and the external is a 4TB with nothing on it. If I set the recorder path to the internal hard drive I don't get the disk full error. Any suggestions?
post #1894 of 2139 Old 03-15-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1 View Post

I use an external hard drive for recording live tv and yesterday I started getting the disk full error in wmc during live tv. I've deleted the RecordTV folder and recreated it. My computer Dell XPS8700 is only used for WMC and two extenders. The internal hard drive has 850GB of storage space free and the external is a 4TB with nothing on it. If I set the recorder path to the internal hard drive I don't get the disk full error. Any suggestions?
Check the Maximum TV limit under Recorder Storage.
post #1895 of 2139 Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How are these things running these days. I got rid of mine for a ceton a couple years ago. I often seemed to have issues possibly related to the network.

Is everyone happy with there's? Thinking of getting one for the bedroom htpc's. Ceton's networked tuners thing sucks.

Anywhere to find these for cheap?
post #1896 of 2139 Old 03-15-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

How are these things running these days. I got rid of mine for a ceton a couple years ago. I often seemed to have issues possibly related to the network.

Is everyone happy with there's? Thinking of getting one for the bedroom htpc's. Ceton's networked tuners thing sucks.

Anywhere to find these for cheap?
My Prime is 100% trouble free. My InfiniTV PCIe tuner works very well, but sometimes the computer can't find it. After a reboot it starts working again.

Newegg has a refurb for $115 and free shipping right now.
post #1897 of 2139 Old 03-15-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

My Prime is 100% trouble free. My InfiniTV PCIe tuner works very well, but sometimes the computer can't find it. After a reboot it starts working again.

Newegg has a refurb for $115 and free shipping right now.
Thanks for the feedback. My ceton has weird issues like that. I saw that refurb on newegg. At that price I would probably just get it from amazon for $129 to get the 1 year warranty instead of 90 days. After some googling I see they have gone for $99 and even $89 in the past. Those prices would be awesome biggrin.gif
post #1898 of 2139 Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. My ceton has weird issues like that. I saw that refurb on newegg. At that price I would probably just get it from amazon for $129 to get the 1 year warranty instead of 90 days. After some googling I see they have gone for $99 and even $89 in the past. Those prices would be awesome biggrin.gif
If you don't need one right away you may want to wait a little while.

From Missing Remote article:
Coming soon is the HDHomeRun Prime six tuner CableCard Ethernet Tuner; it doesn't have a built in encoder like other models, but it will support the maximum of what a CableCard will currently support. The best part of that announcement is they are targeting a $149 MSRP--the same as the current three tuner model which will be dropping down to a permanent $99. They didn't have the cases built for the unit but they did have the guts, as seen below, giving us a good of idea of the final size and looking at how small the heatsink is we should be able to expect a cool, low power DCT. No release date was announced but expect it around early Q2, 2014.
post #1899 of 2139 Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you don't need one right away you may want to wait a little while.

From Missing Remote article:
Coming soon is the HDHomeRun Prime six tuner CableCard Ethernet Tuner; it doesn't have a built in encoder like other models, but it will support the maximum of what a CableCard will currently support. The best part of that announcement is they are targeting a $149 MSRP--the same as the current three tuner model which will be dropping down to a permanent $99. They didn't have the cases built for the unit but they did have the guts, as seen below, giving us a good of idea of the final size and looking at how small the heatsink is we should be able to expect a cool, low power DCT. No release date was announced but expect it around early Q2, 2014.
Oh wow thanks man almost missed this post. That sounds pretty cool. 6 tuner for $149 almost sounds to good to be true. The standard price has been $50 a tuner (msrp) for the most part on these cablecard devices.

Do you know what it means when it says there will be no encoder? Is that for DLNA? I will just be using it with WMC only.
post #1900 of 2139 Old 03-16-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh wow thanks man almost missed this post. That sounds pretty cool. 6 tuner for $149 almost sounds to good to be true. The standard price has been $50 a tuner (msrp) for the most part on these cablecard devices.

Do you know what it means when it says there will be no encoder? Is that for DLNA? I will just be using it with WMC only.
He's talking about the encoder the new dual units have. They encode the video with a compression format more suitable for streaming. WMC works just fine without it.
whiteboy714 likes this.
post #1901 of 2139 Old 03-16-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He's talking about the encoder the new dual units have. They encode the video with a compression format more suitable for streaming. WMC works just fine without it.
Oh I see, thanks for the help.
post #1902 of 2139 Old 03-23-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HDHR Prime is $99.99 at Newegg right now. Deal expires at 11:59pm PT on Sunday, 3/23/2014.
whiteboy714 likes this.
post #1903 of 2139 Old 03-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

The HDHR Prime is $99.99 at Newegg right now. Deal expires at 11:59pm PT on Sunday, 3/23/2014.

I have 2 units for about a year and no regrets.
whiteboy714 likes this.

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #1904 of 2139 Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I've had my HDHR Prime for around 2 years now and it's been great -- way WAY more reliable that the set-top boxes that crashed every 3-6 months.
whiteboy714 likes this.

post #1905 of 2139 Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoyz View Post

I have 2 units for about a year and no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I've had my HDHR Prime for around 2 years now and it's been great -- way WAY more reliable that the set-top boxes that crashed every 3-6 months.
Thanks folks. I had issues the first go around back when I started this thread 2 1/2 years ago. Never could get it nailed down if it was my network.

I picked one up the other day for $129 on amazon (got impatient). But noticed a few days later it was $99. Luckily they refunded me the difference.

Last night I did get a copy error. Saying a show could only be viewed on the pc it was recorded on, weird thing was it was doing that on all live tv. I restarted the pc and HDHR and it fixed it.

Doing a clean install now as I also finally have an SSD for the bedroom htpc.
post #1906 of 2139 Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 152
So I just replaced my InfiniTV 4 PCIe with the HDHomeRun PRIME.

When I moved the cablecard to the Prime. All my channels worked. I called Cox anyway to have them pair the device. They did their thing and after hanging up the phone I lost all my channels.

Second call to Cox - I give them the Host ID and Data # again. I notice that the Data number is not the same as the first one I gave them. They re-pair the card and my channels come back. The device web page still says Card Validation - none. And I now have a new Data #. We tried this four times and every time my Data # changes after pairing and Card Validation says none.

Any Hints?

post #1907 of 2139 Old 03-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14

With Cox, I have had to insist firmly that they need to UNPAIR the cablecard before pairing it to the new device. Twice I have had the tech person tell me that was not necessary, and when we could not get it to work, I finally convinced them to unpair the card first, and then it worked.

post #1908 of 2139 Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I finally have Card Validation.
It took several calls. The last guy tried to pair it up almost a dozen times. He was almost ready to give up, then it finally took.

So far i'm impressed, its definitely better than my old Ceton.

post #1909 of 2139 Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
I have a question about network topography. Currently my tuners are with my HTPC on one end of the house. The antenna is at the other end. The length of the coax run is long, at least 50', and there may be some splitters in it. At times I have a low signal on a couple of channels (I'm using OTA only). I've inserted some amps and this seems to help in almost all conditions. But I had an idea about relocating the tuners to where the antenna is and running LAN cable back. My thinking is the LAN signal is not as impacted by a long run as the RF over coax is.

This is what I am considering and would like your input. My 2 HDHomeruns at the antenna along with a Gb switch. 1 cable from the switch back to my router. From the router I have one cable running to another switch where the entertainment system is. At times I record 4 shows at once. My concern is if this configuration would create any network bandwidth/overhead issues.

Thanks.

Bob

HTPC - Built with Assassin Guides

Intel G620 - GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3  - Samsung 830 SSD

Win 7 SP1 32b - G.Skill 4GB - SilverStone Grandia GD04B - Seasonic SS-460FL2 Fanless PSU

post #1910 of 2139 Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Placing the HDHR's closer to the antenna is a good idea. It might be better to run two cat5e back to a central switch. IMHO: If you are running one cable, why not two???
The HDHR' primes are 100MB. Place them on a 1gb switch with a single run back to the main GB switch is not bad either. This can give you some additional local ports.

My OTA tuner is connected into my router and the two HDHR-CC's are on a GB switch. I can have 8 programs recording at once; and my network never bogs down. biggrin.gif
post #1911 of 2139 Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a 4 port gig/WiFi router the main PC's hook to with the cable modem, then a cable running to a 8 port gig switch, never have a issue and I have the Prime, two media players, and a cable card tuner/media player hooked to it and everything plays nice together.
It all keeps up fine even when a bunch of tuners are recording and I'm watching something on the players to the network. One of the best toys I've gotten along with the media player that do just about anything.
post #1912 of 2139 Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Great. Thanks for the confirmations!

Billdacat - I was wanting to run a single wire because part of the run will be outside

Bob

Win 7 SP1 32b - G.Skill 4GB - SilverStone Grandia GD04B - Seasonic SS-460FL2 Fanless PSU

post #1913 of 2139 Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

FYI new beta software as of 4/4/14
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1914 of 2139 Old 04-14-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBobS View Post

I have a question about network topography. Currently my tuners are with my HTPC on one end of the house. The antenna is at the other end. The length of the coax run is long, at least 50', and there may be some splitters in it. At times I have a low signal on a couple of channels (I'm using OTA only). I've inserted some amps and this seems to help in almost all conditions. But I had an idea about relocating the tuners to where the antenna is and running LAN cable back. My thinking is the LAN signal is not as impacted by a long run as the RF over coax is.

This is what I am considering and would like your input. My 2 HDHomeruns at the antenna along with a Gb switch. 1 cable from the switch back to my router. From the router I have one cable running to another switch where the entertainment system is. At times I record 4 shows at once. My concern is if this configuration would create any network bandwidth/overhead issues.

Thanks.

I am also thinking; you need to get a handle on any splitters in HDHR OTA antenna circuit. You are really knocking down the signal strength every time you add a splitter. Also; make sure that you are using RG6 cable; RG59 doesn't handle UHF very well.
You could easily go 100 ft of contiguous RG6 without much signal attenuation.
post #1915 of 2139 Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Running new coax isn't an option I'm willing to consider in a two story house. This is why I wanted to move the tuners to side of the house where the antenna is. I will have complete control over the coax from end to end.

Bob

post #1916 of 2139 Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

I recently got the HDHR Prime and I am having a problem getting the cable card working on the Premium channels I subscribe too. When I go to those channels it says "no subscription". I have called Comcast twice and they say everything seems OK. When I checked at my end under Validation it says NONE, is this correct? Does anyone know any "magic" words to tell the clueless Comcast people on how to get this to work, all the other channels work just fine under Win 7 Media Center.

Mike T
post #1917 of 2139 Old 04-14-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

It took me 4 technicians to get my card validated.

post #1918 of 2139 Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I got a promo for a couple of free months of HBO. Spent an hour with a rep trying to get the card provisioned for it and gave up. At least I didn't lose my regular channels.
post #1919 of 2139 Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

I recently got the HDHR Prime and I am having a problem getting the cable card working on the Premium channels I subscribe too. When I go to those channels it says "no subscription". I have called Comcast twice and they say everything seems OK. When I checked at my end under Validation it says NONE, is this correct? Does anyone know any "magic" words to tell the clueless Comcast people on how to get this to work, all the other channels work just fine under Win 7 Media Center.

Mike T

Did you try the Comcast cablecard activation line instead of the normal customer service no.? Try 1-877-405-2298. If that's not the right number, there are several others that show up using google. They provisioned mine quickly (6 months ago) and knew what a HDHR PrIme was and how it should work. I was pleasantly surprised.
post #1920 of 2139 Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

Did you try the Comcast cablecard activation line instead of the normal customer service no.? Try 1-877-405-2298. If that's not the right number, there are several others that show up using google. They provisioned mine quickly (6 months ago) and knew what a HDHR PrIme was and how it should work. I was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, I used them to do the initial activation and then called back to try to get the premium channels to work, but they gave me another number to try, said they do not do trouble shooting. I have called that number twice in about 5 days and still not fixed. I got a number to call level 2 that just works with cable cards and they seemed to know about the HDHR Prime and discovered one of the numbers in the Data ID was incorrect. When I went back to Media Center it asked to set up the cable card again so I thought it had been fixed, but it has been 5 hours and it still does not work. So in a few days I will call back to Level 2 and try again.

Mike T
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page