Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

i have 3 systems in my home

1. HTPC and 2 more laptops.

when i connect my HTPC to TV using a HDMI cable it works without any issue ( but i get HBO HD channel blurred)
when i connect my other 2 laptops using HDMi cable to tv i am getting the below error for all HD channels

the video playback device does not support playback of protected content

somtimes if i minimize and maximize windows media center it works but it will never work with HBO channel.

can someone help me please

Is the external display (TV) configured as a clone/duplicate of the laptop's main display?  This is non-compliant with HDCP.  The TV must be configured as either the only display (laptop display off), or as an extended desktop display.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i tied using both ways. I tried using windows media centre directly on my laptop, i got the error and when i connected to tv using HDMI cable ( with display only on TV) i get the error. There is intel graphics card on the laptop

But when i use same setup from my HTPC, i never get that error
post #1983 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Do your laptops have direct HDMI, or some sort of adapter first (Display Port)?

How exactly are you getting the channels on the laptops, via WMC or some other program? Is this live or recorded TV?
post #1984 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Definitely agree that it sounds like a handshake issue. You may be able to resolve by using an HDMI switch that is HDCP compliant.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8462&seq=1&format=2
post #1985 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Do your laptops have direct HDMI, or some sort of adapter first (Display Port)?

How exactly are you getting the channels on the laptops, via WMC or some other program? Is this live or recorded TV?

You are right my laptop doesnt have direct HDMi. i have Mini-DisplayPort with audio on my laptop. I connected to tv using a Docking station which has HDMi and 2 Display ports.
But before connecting to Tv also i am getting the same error in my laptop. i am using windows media centre
post #1986 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are right my laptop doesnt have direct HDMi. i have Mini-DisplayPort with audio on my laptop. I connected to tv using a Docking station which has HDMi and 2 Display ports.
But before connecting to Tv also i am getting the same error in my laptop. i am using windows media centre
Then that's the issue. WMC doesn't recognize HDCP on Display Port and probably never will. You'll have to stick with devices that have HDMI or VGA (works fine since it's analog and looks as good as HDMI).
post #1987 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got two HD Homerun Primes in the mail today. (Ordered from Woot for $85.) One is going back since it was an ordering error.

Here's my plan now:

1. Go to the Comcast store and get a cablecard.

2. Put the HDHRP on my network and use my laptop to to experiment getting WMC set up. I don't have another PC yet--waiting to find a good deal on one. My laptop has an HDMI port, and also has WMC on an 8.1 OS. So I'm thinking it will be fine to test things out and get started.

Unless I string some loose Cat 5 cables around the house, I'll have to see if WiFi works at all at the TV sets, but I should be able to get WMC to recognize the tuners and watch/record live TV on the computers running WMC, right??

Anything I should be aware of before I start?

TIA.

STP

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #1988 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good luck getting it "paired" from Comcast. When I next try again to get it working on the premium services I will be making call number 6 to the level 2 direct phone line. Works fine on all the other channels and did from the first time I tried to get it activated, but on validation it says failed.

Mike T
86 951
post #1989 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

Good luck getting it "paired" from Comcast. When I next try again to get it working on the premium services I will be making call number 6 to the level 2 direct phone line. Works fine on all the other channels and did from the first time I tried to get it activated, but on validation it says failed.

Mike T
86 951

Hi Mike,

I just returned from the Comcast store where I was told they had no cablecards and didn't know if/when they would get them in. Arghhh. Is there ANY way to get these guys to act like a normal company and provide at least adequate customer service? I've had a couple of conversations with a deputy city attorney here and apparently they just do whatever they want.

Any other way to get a cablecard?

BTW, I see "86 951" in your sig ;-). I have had 4 951's, 3 S2's a 924S and currently have an '89 NA as a daily driver. Too bad this isn't a Porsche forum.

STP

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #1990 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post

Hi Mike,

I just returned from the Comcast store where I was told they had no cablecards and didn't know if/when they would get them in. Arghhh. Is there ANY way to get these guys to act like a normal company and provide at least adequate customer service? I've had a couple of conversations with a deputy city attorney here and apparently they just do whatever they want.

BTW, I see "86 951" in your sig ;-). I have had 4 951's, 3 S2's a 924S and currently have an '89 NA as a daily driver. Too bad this isn't a Porsche forum.

STP

I don't know if you could do a service call request to have them bring out a cable card, sometimes the tech guys have things you cannot get at the local office. I am out on a farm and before I talked Comcast into extending the cable 2.5 miles to my house I was on "dialup" for 9 years at 14-22 kbps, now I get around 60 mbps when downloading with Comcast, so I have been "over looking" a lot of stuff from them just to keep my high speed internet. Also I do like recording firewire from the DVR to my computer for shows I want to keep, can't do that with sat.

My first was a new 81 928, loved it still have my 86 951 I also got new. Been retired for 21 years so when the 951 is gone will probably be the last one for me.

Mike T
post #1991 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Then that's the issue. WMC doesn't recognize HDCP on Display Port and probably never will. You'll have to stick with devices that have HDMI or VGA (works fine since it's analog and looks as good as HDMI).

isnt there no other way to fix this issue from my laptop ?
post #1992 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM

I got the HDHomeRun off of Woot for 85 and got my Charter CableCard (Motorola) + Tuning adapter. The tuning adapter has RF IN & OUT and a USB port. Does the HDHomeRun use the USB port from tuning adapter or RF OUT to the coax in on the HDHomeRun? I'm about to get this party started and feel like I'm in for a long night, wish me luck!

EDIT: Typical male, I didn't read the instructions w/ the HDHomeRun... Step 3 "If your provider uses SDV,connect the tuning adapter to the USB port on HDHomeRun PRIME and the cable line." I think it was a ID10T error....
post #1993 of 2276 Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Though you figured it out, all communication between the the prime and TA is done through the USB port... each device also requires an RF connection.

With motorola tuning adapters also make sure to use a splitter and not the cable out as moto TAs pass the signal through close to as if you hooked it to a 4 way splitter rather than a 2 way splitter (generally it is also advised with cisco as well but they are supposed to compensate for the loss, but some don't always pass the low and/or high frequencies that well)..
post #1994 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post

Hi Mike,

STP

Man...I would be screaming mad!!!! Total BS that they can't provide a cable card. The store may have be out of them, but they should have at least offered to have one shipped out to you ASAP. Start complaining up the Comcrap chain of command and consider a call to your congressman. Don't let them get away with this!!!!
post #1995 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well after 2 calls to Comcast to activate the cable card I was able to get the card validation to show success but channel scan gives me nothing. After calling the regular support number and trying to troubleshoot and send refresh signals still nothing. Called activation line again they keep mentioning Tivo 3, I tell the tech it's not a Tivo 3, (I wish rolleyes.gif "SiliconeDust HDHomerun Prime Tuner" flowed off the tongue a little easier) and they unpair and then repair once again. They see it they say, they are able to signal it and send a refresh and all that, but when I try to scan for channels, nothing. No channel lineup comes up in the browser screen that opens when you click on one of the tuners when running setup either. Not sure if that populates once a scan runs or not.

Finally had to give up as it was well past my bedtime. Scheduled an appointment for Friday morning. I kind of mentally prepared myself for this.
post #1996 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought I'd torment myself a little more and give it another shot while using RDP to my HTPC to see the Prime tuner screens and call the activation line again. Still no love mad.gif my guess is that the card itself may be bad. Signal Strength 100% as well as Signal Quality. Card Authentication, Card OOB Lock and Card Validation all 3 in the status section show success. Hope I get a good tech.frown.gif
post #1997 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

isnt there no other way to fix this issue from my laptop ?
You could try this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531211/streaming-drmd-cablecard-content-to-another-pc/0_100

Why is it so important to get liveTV from your laptops to your TV? Can't you just use extenders?
post #1998 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Thought I'd torment myself a little more and give it another shot while using RDP to my HTPC to see the Prime tuner screens and call the activation line again. Still no love mad.gif my guess is that the card itself may be bad. Signal Strength 100% as well as Signal Quality. Card Authentication, Card OOB Lock and Card Validation all 3 in the status section show success. Hope I get a good tech.frown.gif
You aren't trying to watch video over RDP are you? That usually doesn't work. Connect your HTPC to an actual screen and try again.
post #1999 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Nah, I simply was looking at the tuner screens you get when you click a tuner in the setup process.
I can't even try to tune a channel, cause it fails and errors out when I try to scan any to build the channel list.
post #2000 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nah, I simply was looking at the tuner screens you get when you click a tuner in the setup process.
I can't even try to tune a channel, cause it fails and errors out when I try to scan any to build the channel list.
Try their cable card support number:
877-405-2298, or Silicon Dust support. Sounds more like a HD Homerun Prime hardware or network issue to me.

However, it still could be an RDP issue. Lots of video related things simply don't work in RDP. I'd take that out of the equation if I were you.
post #2001 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've contacted them at that number 4 times including today. Each time it was unpaired then re-paired and so on. After the 2nd time everything showed success but channels scan still fails and errors out. It doesn't even begin the process. If I remove the card and set a tuner to digital cable a scan will start, but as expected no channels are found because they are encrypted.

I looked at the SD forum to see if someone else had this issue and only one thread came up about it. Unfortunately, if I don't get the right person on the line all I can do is wait for a tech to come out. According to the thread it may be a head end programming issue.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=17087#p101546

Thanks for trying to help though.
post #2002 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Baby steps. SiliconDust provides an app called Quick TV that should get you playing any non-copy limited programs. Get it working there before you try setting up WMC.
post #2003 of 2276 Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I've been trying to use, the SD sertup utility for Windows.. I tried to use WMC at one point, but only after the SD app continues to fail whenever I try to scan for channels. If I look at the log that the utility generates it states that something is blocked and contact cable company with code 161-0 if I remember right, but that meant nothing to them.
post #2004 of 2276 Old 05-16-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

So, after much effort and using a personal contact to go up a level, they updated the headend info. The update helped to get rid of the 161-0 error code that was coming up on the sys. log from the HDHR, but channels still wouldn't tune.

tech came out this morning and hadn't heard of the HDHomerun but understood PC's and putting a cable card in a pc so he quickly understood the device. Called his guy who confirmed headend and other info, and knew of the device. He asked the tech to call next person up who looked at everything and saw that the DAC info was incorrect. So the card was receiving info but not sending info back.

Once that was updated, the channels started to scan and then tune. QuickTV tuned the channels but no audio was heard. I figured I'd try it with WMC which tuned the channels and played audio as well. Problem was that I was getting quite a bit of macro-blocking and eventually a weak signal screen. HDHR states 100% signal strength and quality and the tech hooked up to the connection and signal quality on his device came up good as well.

I haven't had macro-blocking issues since I had a powered splitter put in place.What I have in place now is even nicer, when the tech saw it he said "yeah that's what I would have put in".

I was doing this on a laptop so it could be a wi-fi issue, probably because of the laptop's wi-fi antenna not the router. So since the signal is good and the cable card is connecting we left it at that.

I've since logged in remotely to the HTPC to try the quicktv app from work and while I didn't expect much it tuned in and audio was coming thru biggrin.gif. It wasn't perfect because I was RDP'ing in so video was scrolling thru but I didn't notice macro-blocking.
post #2005 of 2276 Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad you finally got it working. That Data ID has caused me a lot of problems in the past. Some techs simply have no idea what it is or what to do with it. I've done at least a dozen cable card self-installs in the past few years. Some work immediately, some take days and several phone calls. It's totally dependent on getting the right person on the other end of the phone and that person entering all the numbers and entering them correctly. I always have them read back the numbers and keep them on the line until my card is working, whenever possible.
post #2006 of 2276 Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess data ID is something different than the DAC. I posted this stuff on the SD forum as well since someone there had the same error and started a thread about it.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17087&start=15

signcarver stated the followoing:

"The prime is an OCUR device... the U in that stands for unidirectional... it can never send anything back. If you ever get a tech or support person that does not understand this, get someone else as they don't know what they are doing. My understanding is that a card must be provisioned on the DAC and only a couple of people can do that."

This person who finally fixed it was a step above tier II so that statement about "only a couple of people" seems accurate.
post #2007 of 2276 Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So does anybody know what DAC actually means? Do all cable companies have a DAC?
post #2008 of 2276 Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Seems to be (the Motorola) equivalent to the Cisco DNCS. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16183
Quote:
There are digital controllers that address all of the set top boxes in the area's.
post #2009 of 2276 Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

post #2010 of 2276 Old 05-16-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to you both. Excellent info. So hits are sent from the DAC. Wrong data in the DAC, and the hits fail. I wonder how Tuning Adapters fit into the picture. My guess is they get provisioned at the head end (in the DAC?) like a modem. I don't recall my TA's ever getting any hits like my cable card devices.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page