post #2101 of 2113 Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
On Moto, solid amber is good. Slow blink or red is bad.

I assume you have the TA plugged into coax and USB, right? And your cable card is showing activated?

Remember when you talk to Charter, pretend you have a Tivo. If you mention homerun, they'll only get confused. If you get the right person, they should be able to get everything working over the phone. My last activation took about 10 minutes start to finish, a new record for me and Charter.
The TA has an amber light.

Where the line comes into the house and connects to my cable modem, the technician installed a splitter with one wire to the cable modem and one to the TA RF IN. There is a Coax cable running from the out of the TA into the RF IN on the hdhr. There is also a UBS cable connecting the TA to the hdhr.

The cable card is activated and I am able to view many channels. I have not had much time to mess with it since it was connected Monday right before I went into work. Tech said it was set up and I needed to wait for all the channels to load or something like that. On Tuesday I checked it and several channels were working, but some were not. My signal strength is only around 75 to 80 percent and shows up either red or yellow, never green.

What does the TA do? I know they keep talking about all the clear qam channels being fased out soon and that I need a box for each television. Does the TA allow me to get the digital channels or something?

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2113 Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
What does the TA do? I know they keep talking about all the clear qam channels being fased out soon and that I need a box for each television. Does the TA allow me to get the digital channels or something?
In short, the TA provides the two-way communications with the headend that are required to receive channels that are transmitted as Switched Digital Video (SDV). SDV channels are not streamed continuously on a fixed channel & subchannel. They are only streamed from the headend to your SDV group when at least one customer in that SDV group has requested (tuned to) that channel.

When you tune to an SDV channel, the tuning adapter sends an upstream request for that service to the headend. If you are the first subscriber in your group to request that channel, the headend routes the transport stream for that channel to an available RF channel/subchannel, and then reports to your TA what that channel/subchannel is. The TA then supplies that information to your CableCard tuner so that it can tune to the temporary RF channel/subchannel for that service.

If you are NOT the first subscriber to request a particular SDV service in your group, then the transport stream routing would already be in place at the headend and the headend only has to inform your TA of the existing channel assignment. Typically, a list of the currently running stream assignments (called a carousel) is regularly broadcast to and stored by all STBs/TAs. This gives them a chance of tuning an SDV channel even if upstream communications needed to request a particular stream setup is temporarily interrupted.

If you are the only subscriber watching a particular SDV service and you tune away from it, the streaming of that service will be discontinued and the channel/subchannel it was occupying will be returned to the SDV pool, available for reassignment to a new SDV channel request.

The whole point of SDV is to be able to offer more services in the same RF bandwidth since services not currently being viewed can be turned off instead of occupying bandwidth with a transport stream that nobody is watching. Heavily viewed services like ESPN, USA, TNT are typically not run as SDV services since the likelihood is very high that somebody will always be watching them. Cable ops need to carefully monitor and manage several parameters to insure that an SDV system operates seamlessly from the perspective of the subscriber, including: the specific services run under SDV, the amount of bandwidth allocated to SDV, and the number of subscribers in an SDV group must be carefully balanced to avoid exhausting the pool of SDV slots available. When that happens, you get the dreaded "channel temporarily unavailable, please try again" message. (Note: that message can also be caused by interruptions in the two-way communications with the headend... often caused by things a subscriber might do within his own home beyond the control of the cable op... loose connections, added splitters, adding an amplifier without a(n) (active) return path, etc.).
slowbiscuit likes this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

Last edited by jcalabria; Yesterday at 05:00 AM.
post #2103 of 2113 Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
On Moto, solid amber is good. Slow blink or red is bad.

I assume you have the TA plugged into coax and USB, right? And your cable card is showing activated?

Remember when you talk to Charter, pretend you have a Tivo. If you mention homerun, they'll only get confused. If you get the right person, they should be able to get everything working over the phone. My last activation took about 10 minutes start to finish, a new record for me and Charter.
I have the Cisco TA and it is green but blinking is bad. Solid green is good. Mine's solid green so all is well for me..

post #2104 of 2113 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
The TA has an amber light.

Where the line comes into the house and connects to my cable modem, the technician installed a splitter with one wire to the cable modem and one to the TA RF IN. There is a Coax cable running from the out of the TA into the RF IN on the hdhr. There is also a UBS cable connecting the TA to the hdhr.

The cable card is activated and I am able to view many channels. I have not had much time to mess with it since it was connected Monday right before I went into work. Tech said it was set up and I needed to wait for all the channels to load or something like that. On Tuesday I checked it and several channels were working, but some were not. My signal strength is only around 75 to 80 percent and shows up either red or yellow, never green.

First thing you should do is replace the 2-way splitter with a 3 way, then run one leg of it to each the modem, TA and HDHR. Do not use the output of the TA if at all possible.

Also, I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned that in the TA menu it said "Authorization - none". That sounds like your issue to me, so you need to call Charter's cablecard hotline and have them re-authorize your TA.
post #2105 of 2113 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the cable guy was here for close to 3 hours and could not resolve the problem. He had never done a cablecard install before and had to make several calls until he found someone that had. That woman on the phone had never heard of hdhomerun, but I navigated through all the menus and found the information that she requested. She said that everything looked good on her end with the tuning adapter, but mine still shows no authentication.

I had the cable guy install a 3 way splitter and that had no effect that we could tell.

Once I tried channels 720 and 721, I could get 721 but not 720 and the lady on the phone mentioned that 720 was switched digital, but the cable guy said he did not know what she meant by that.

I'm not sure what to do next, cable guy suggested that I contact silicon dust because everything was fine on their end.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #2106 of 2113 Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

No it isn't. Classic blame shifting.

I think that your CableCARD is not properly initiated to boot.

You may want to call CS back and make sure you get someone that knows what they are doing. Have them follow this check list I got from ChaterAbby back in the day when UMatter2Charter still existed:
Quote:

I'll do my best to provide the steps. The first part is making sure that equipment is in the proper order. It must go like this: CableCARD in outlet A, Tuning Adapter in outlet B. If the customer has additional CableCARDs, then the next CableCARD goes in outlet C, followed by Tuning Adapter in outlet D. Repeat these steps until all CableCARDs are accounted for. Then it goes DVRs, HD Boxes, Standard Boxes, Cable Modems, and lastly MTAs.

If we are activating a Scientific Atlanta card for the first time we need to get the Host ID. Once that is added, the following hits must be sent: CCV Hit, RHT Hit, and a Standard Hit to the card. Wait 60 seconds in-between each hit. Then a Standard Hit to the Tuning Adapter. After this point, sometimes it is necessary to powercycle by unplugging for 60 seconds. Lastly, if the card isn't locking on, then it's time to roll a tech.

If a customer removes their CableCARD and inserts it into another device, the Host ID must be updated. This can be a real pain because not a lot of people have access. The advisor will probably have to contact their supervisor to find someone who can delete the old Host ID and update it with the Host ID from the new device. After that's done, send the same round of hits as stated above.

If a CableCARD just randomly stops working, I like to verify the Host ID just to be safe. Then I try the hits one at a time. If that fails, it's time to roll a tech.

Did you have any other questions?

Thanks,
Abby
Bold added for emphasis. This can also occur when the CableCo re-uses a cable card and doesn't properly re-provision it for the next user.
Gronnie likes this.

post #2107 of 2113 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
No it isn't. Classic blame shifting.
This! It's MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely that it is Charter's fault than that you have a faulty HDHR. They tried to pull the same **** with me. This is especially true since you can tune some channels. You just need to get someone that actually knows what they are doing, which unfortunately is very rare and can be quite the task in itself.
post #2108 of 2113 Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Moto TA has a HUGE drop if you go through it rather than split before. You may not have noticed much difference, but if you looked at the actual levels you'd see what I'm talking about. That doesn't have anything to do with your main issue though, just something to consider once you get it working.

FYI, a TA is needed in a switched digital video system in order to tune certain channels. Rather than put every channel they carry on the coax at once, they only put some of them. The TA will ask that a channel be put into the stream when you attempt to tune it. This gives them much more capacity, but does complicate matters a bit and slow channel changes down a little. TA functionality is already built into cable boxes. That's why they don't need them. If the cable guy doesn't know all of that, he won't be able to help you.

Until your TA is authorized correctly on Charter's end, it's not going to work. Solid amber would indicate the TA is good. So this is a real head scratcher.
post #2109 of 2113 Old Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
the lady on the phone mentioned that 720 was switched digital, but the cable guy said he did not know what she meant by that.
Wow. Wow, wow, wow.

Them technicalitions seam reel smart. I oneder what kind of test you have to take to git hired?
post #2110 of 2113 Old Today, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Quote:
the lady on the phone mentioned that 720 was switched digital, but the cable guy said he did not know what she meant by that.
Wow. Wow, wow, wow.

Them technicalitions seam reel smart. I oneder what kind of test you have to take to git hired?
The guy said that only 3 people in our area have cablecards because they are old outdated technology. My wife has already been unsure about the whole deal. After he said that she was asking why I'm buying old outdated equipment.
post #2111 of 2113 Old Today, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
The guy said that only 3 people in our area have cablecards because they are old outdated technology. My wife has already been unsure about the whole deal. After he said that she was asking why I'm buying old outdated equipment.
Cable cards, yes.
SDV? I don't think so.

And as far as cable cards, tell your wife you'll be saving $20/month on the first box, and $15/month on any extra boxes. That sh*t never goes out of date!

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #2112 of 2113 Old Today, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Every single CableCo STB has a CableCARD in it. Hardly outdated. Merely a scare tactic to extract more cash out out of your pocket every single month.
post #2113 of 2113 Old Today, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Jeez, I'm leaving TW for Charter next week. Hoping I can get someone who knows what they are doing (not likely moving to a rural area)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page