post #2131 of 2139 Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
That is awful! Are they installing the RG11 right now? You should see a vast improvement after that but you have too many splitters too. Take the one to the DVR out of the chain. Each splitter drops 3dB at least and could be 6dB depending on the quality of the splitters. Are these splitters provided by Charter? How about the cable ends. Did they make those up for you? They should do all this to get your service up and running.
RG11 is what they ran from the road to my house, not sure what they have past that. Charter provided the splitters, they apear to be of high quality. They replaced the cable ends on several connections, including the new line that was just burried. The technician said he has seen several ends that were not installed correctly recently by the crew burrying the lines.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2139 Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 187
So are they still there doing this work? Have you seen any improvements in signal quality?

post #2133 of 2139 Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

No, They have been to the house at least 8 times since I switched to cable last month. Each time they make a change and each time it does not realy resolve anything. Well I take that back, the first time was because they gave they gave me a plain HD box instead of an HD DVR. It seems like they come by at least once a week. They are coming again tomorrow morning.

They do have good customer service, I'll give them that. Just wish they could get everything fixed.

post #2134 of 2139 Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Try a test. Connect your HDHR to the two way splitter. You may have to let it detect channels again.

If your levels go up, and the TV issues disappear, at least you'll know your issue is how you have it connected (which is out of Charters control).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #2135 of 2139 Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Try a test. Connect your HDHR to the two way splitter. You may have to let it detect channels again.

If your levels go up, and the TV issues disappear, at least you'll know your issue is how you have it connected (which is out of Charters control).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Well Charter is the one who connected everything and installed the splitters. I can try bybassing splitters and such, but I don't understand why this is a necessary step for things to work.

Most homes have multiple televisions connected. I have a total of 9 cable outlets in the house, with only two being in use. The cable guy removed the large splitter and replaced it with a 2 way in the box ouside the house. One wire from the splitter was connected to the cable box and the other was connected to the modem. I was getting tileing and loss of speech even with just these two devices connected. They then split off the wire going to the modem to add the HDHR because it was located near my router. Everything is gigabit and hardwired with Cat6 cables btw.

I'm not sure how I could get away with any fewer splits other than to completely get rid of the cable box, but I want to at least keep one box for viewing VOD. I get the DVR free for the first year, and after that I had planned to just get a regular HD box for VOD and use the HDHR for all my recordings. Even if I remove the cable box from the equation, I will need to split 3 ways in order to have internet.

Is there a better way to split the connection 4 ways than it is currently being split? I need 4 devices connected: DVR, Modem, HDHR, and TA.

post #2136 of 2139 Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Every splitter is a loss of 3dB or maybe even more. Ditch the DVR as you don't need it. Windows Media Center's DVR is far superior to the one that Charter provides. I have my set up to use the splitter inside the Cisco TA and that works fine for me so maybe try that. I basically have one splitter that feeds the modem and the TA and the TA then feeds the prime. All signals are 100% for me. Are you sure that there aren't any other splitters in your system?

post #2137 of 2139 Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I have followed the wire from the POS all the way through the crawlspace under the house. There is a place under the house where Directv had installed a splitter, but it has been replaced by an inline splice connector. I know the Directv guy ran a new wire when he did his install, he said he could not use charter cables wires because it would burn up the directv box. I'm not sure where he came up with that idea, but I decided not to argue with him. The other line was already there from a previous cable install, but they did put new ends on both ends of the cable. The new line with the splice is connected to the DVR and the old line is connected to the other stuff.

My biggest problem with getting rid of the cable box is my wife. I have to have the HDHR working perfectly before I even think of disconnecting the DVR or there will be hell to pay, lol. I have to have this thing so it is easy for her and the mother-in-law to operate when she comes over to babysit. I also work 12 hours a day so am limited to the weekends to attempt anything slightly time consuming like this.

I guess Friday I can try taking out the 3 way splitter and using just the 2 way, one to the modem and one to the TA, then connect from the TA out to the HDHR in.

I have a Harmony One remote and plan to the the Xbox 360 as the media center extender in the living room.

post #2138 of 2139 Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It may or may not be necessary. I'm simply suggesting a test that may eliminate one possible cause.

Give the HDHR the strongest signal you can, if the issues do not disappear, then your splitters are (probably) not the cause.

If they do disappear, you will have to find a way to fix it.

I had similar issues. Charter put a new 4 way splitter under the house. One feed comes into a back room where it is spilt again into two. One of those goes to the modem, the other to the TA. TA to the HDHR.

We still didn't get a strong enough signal. They had to change some cable ends,inc. One from the pole. And we STILL don't get 100%. The only picture break up issues we get now are about every three months I have to reboot the TA.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #2139 of 2139 Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

He wants the box for VOD.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page