post #2131 of 2156 Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
That is awful! Are they installing the RG11 right now? You should see a vast improvement after that but you have too many splitters too. Take the one to the DVR out of the chain. Each splitter drops 3dB at least and could be 6dB depending on the quality of the splitters. Are these splitters provided by Charter? How about the cable ends. Did they make those up for you? They should do all this to get your service up and running.
RG11 is what they ran from the road to my house, not sure what they have past that. Charter provided the splitters, they apear to be of high quality. They replaced the cable ends on several connections, including the new line that was just burried. The technician said he has seen several ends that were not installed correctly recently by the crew burrying the lines.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2156 Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 188
So are they still there doing this work? Have you seen any improvements in signal quality?

post #2133 of 2156 Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

No, They have been to the house at least 8 times since I switched to cable last month. Each time they make a change and each time it does not realy resolve anything. Well I take that back, the first time was because they gave they gave me a plain HD box instead of an HD DVR. It seems like they come by at least once a week. They are coming again tomorrow morning.

They do have good customer service, I'll give them that. Just wish they could get everything fixed.

post #2134 of 2156 Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Try a test. Connect your HDHR to the two way splitter. You may have to let it detect channels again.

If your levels go up, and the TV issues disappear, at least you'll know your issue is how you have it connected (which is out of Charters control).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #2135 of 2156 Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Try a test. Connect your HDHR to the two way splitter. You may have to let it detect channels again.

If your levels go up, and the TV issues disappear, at least you'll know your issue is how you have it connected (which is out of Charters control).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Well Charter is the one who connected everything and installed the splitters. I can try bybassing splitters and such, but I don't understand why this is a necessary step for things to work.

Most homes have multiple televisions connected. I have a total of 9 cable outlets in the house, with only two being in use. The cable guy removed the large splitter and replaced it with a 2 way in the box ouside the house. One wire from the splitter was connected to the cable box and the other was connected to the modem. I was getting tileing and loss of speech even with just these two devices connected. They then split off the wire going to the modem to add the HDHR because it was located near my router. Everything is gigabit and hardwired with Cat6 cables btw.

I'm not sure how I could get away with any fewer splits other than to completely get rid of the cable box, but I want to at least keep one box for viewing VOD. I get the DVR free for the first year, and after that I had planned to just get a regular HD box for VOD and use the HDHR for all my recordings. Even if I remove the cable box from the equation, I will need to split 3 ways in order to have internet.

Is there a better way to split the connection 4 ways than it is currently being split? I need 4 devices connected: DVR, Modem, HDHR, and TA.

post #2136 of 2156 Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Every splitter is a loss of 3dB or maybe even more. Ditch the DVR as you don't need it. Windows Media Center's DVR is far superior to the one that Charter provides. I have my set up to use the splitter inside the Cisco TA and that works fine for me so maybe try that. I basically have one splitter that feeds the modem and the TA and the TA then feeds the prime. All signals are 100% for me. Are you sure that there aren't any other splitters in your system?

post #2137 of 2156 Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I have followed the wire from the POS all the way through the crawlspace under the house. There is a place under the house where Directv had installed a splitter, but it has been replaced by an inline splice connector. I know the Directv guy ran a new wire when he did his install, he said he could not use charter cables wires because it would burn up the directv box. I'm not sure where he came up with that idea, but I decided not to argue with him. The other line was already there from a previous cable install, but they did put new ends on both ends of the cable. The new line with the splice is connected to the DVR and the old line is connected to the other stuff.

My biggest problem with getting rid of the cable box is my wife. I have to have the HDHR working perfectly before I even think of disconnecting the DVR or there will be hell to pay, lol. I have to have this thing so it is easy for her and the mother-in-law to operate when she comes over to babysit. I also work 12 hours a day so am limited to the weekends to attempt anything slightly time consuming like this.

I guess Friday I can try taking out the 3 way splitter and using just the 2 way, one to the modem and one to the TA, then connect from the TA out to the HDHR in.

I have a Harmony One remote and plan to the the Xbox 360 as the media center extender in the living room.

post #2138 of 2156 Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It may or may not be necessary. I'm simply suggesting a test that may eliminate one possible cause.

Give the HDHR the strongest signal you can, if the issues do not disappear, then your splitters are (probably) not the cause.

If they do disappear, you will have to find a way to fix it.

I had similar issues. Charter put a new 4 way splitter under the house. One feed comes into a back room where it is spilt again into two. One of those goes to the modem, the other to the TA. TA to the HDHR.

We still didn't get a strong enough signal. They had to change some cable ends,inc. One from the pole. And we STILL don't get 100%. The only picture break up issues we get now are about every three months I have to reboot the TA.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #2139 of 2156 Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

He wants the box for VOD.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #2140 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is this the right product for me? I have Comcast as they are my only option for high speed internet. I currently have a "double play" package with them for broadband and a "middle tier" TV plan (no HBO or anything, but I do have ESPN, AMC and such as well as their HD package for those channels). I currently have one of their HD DVRs, but I believe next month my promotion for it runs out and it will start costing me $18 a month. I already have a (3 year old) HTPC, which has an older TV tuner which only currently gets my local channels which are "clear QAM". Would this, along with a cable card from Comcast, allow me to turn into all the channels in my TV package, including the HD channels, and record them on my HTPC? If so, by my calculations, purchasing one of these will actually start saving me money after about 7 months of use. Any idea if a newer model with enhancements would be available by then? Are any other similar products available that I should look into as well? On a scale of 1-10 on the tech savvy scale, I consider myself around a 7 if that matters. I've never had anything that has a cable card, but they don't look to be too complicated to deal with. Many thanks for any and all help you can provide me!
post #2141 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mteastham View Post
Is this the right product for me? I have Comcast as they are my only option for high speed internet. I currently have a "double play" package with them for broadband and a "middle tier" TV plan (no HBO or anything, but I do have ESPN, AMC and such as well as their HD package for those channels). I currently have one of their HD DVRs, but I believe next month my promotion for it runs out and it will start costing me $18 a month. I already have a (3 year old) HTPC, which has an older TV tuner which only currently gets my local channels which are "clear QAM". Would this, along with a cable card from Comcast, allow me to turn into all the channels in my TV package, including the HD channels, and record them on my HTPC? If so, by my calculations, purchasing one of these will actually start saving me money after about 7 months of use. Any idea if a newer model with enhancements would be available by then? Are any other similar products available that I should look into as well? On a scale of 1-10 on the tech savvy scale, I consider myself around a 7 if that matters. I've never had anything that has a cable card, but they don't look to be too complicated to deal with. Many thanks for any and all help you can provide me!
Yes, this will do what you want it to do. Don't over estimate the difficulty of setup of the cablecard though. That is probably the most difficult step and it hinges largely on finding a Comcast rep that knows what they're doing to pair it properly. Once you clear that hurdle however your life will almost instantly improve. I have two with two cards & 6 tuners and the amount of savings over 3-4 dual tuner HD DVR tuners @ nearly $20 per month per box (read: About $70 per month give or take $10) has been substantial over the years. I also MUCH prefer having a central location for all of my recordings that I can access & control from any of our viewing locations and the ability to upgrade storage size easily and inexpensively at any time. This will do all you're looking for and newer versions may be on the way someday (I've been hearing this for years now since before I bought mine) but what's available right now will suit most people's needs just fine and can be found for great prices. New products come with new product problems and new product prices. I'll be fine w/my setup for a few more years or even more and don't see anything on the horizon that would make me want to sell my Primes and buy new devices. In short... I'm good with the setup I've been running for years now and have saved gobs of money over what Comcrap wanted for equipment rental.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #2142 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply! My next huddle (looking ahead) is how to set up something at my other viewing locations. My HTPC is in my "mancave" along with the biggest TV in the house, gaming consoles, and the only surround sound setup in the house. I think I can get that working fine, with WMC and my logitech remote and keyboard - hopefully without much hiccup adding the prime. But what about my living room and bedroom? What's the easiest way at those locations to 1) access all the channels (including HD ones) from the prime, and 2) access all the recordings and saved video (maybe audio as well) from the HTPC located in the "mancave"? Do I need new HTPCs at those locations as well? Would "extenders" work? How easy are those to operate (I need to make the wife happy, too), and how cheap can they be? Thanks again!
post #2143 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! My next huddle (looking ahead) is how to set up something at my other viewing locations. My HTPC is in my "mancave" along with the biggest TV in the house, gaming consoles, and the only surround sound setup in the house. I think I can get that working fine, with WMC and my logitech remote and keyboard - hopefully without much hiccup adding the prime. But what about my living room and bedroom? What's the easiest way at those locations to 1) access all the channels (including HD ones) from the prime, and 2) access all the recordings and saved video (maybe audio as well) from the HTPC located in the "mancave"? Do I need new HTPCs at those locations as well? Would "extenders" work? How easy are those to operate (I need to make the wife happy, too), and how cheap can they be? Thanks again!
My primary PC is in my office. I then have four extenders (Xbox 360) at the four locations we view content from. Works flawlessly. In fact, the extenders are much less difficult to set up and operate than a HTPC for those who don't know what's going on. We have house guests and with only basic instruction and Harmony Logitech universal remotes at each location they never have an issue. I can't say that HTPCs offer the same wife/house guest friendly usability. With the Xbox One being out now you can get 360's cheaper than ever which makes this even more viable. Back when I got my four they were pretty spendy but I'm a gamer too so I could justify this extra cost at most locations since I game there too. Now that they're much cheaper it makes sense cost-wise even if you only plan to use them for WMC access to all of your programming needs.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #2144 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 12:32 PM

Well, I do currently have an xbox 360 - but it just happens to be connected to the same TV that the HTPC is hooked up to. Since they are on the same network, though, I should be able to get the HTPC up and running with the prime, and then set up the xbox 360 as an extender and hopefully get it up and running to my liking. At that point, I can then move the HTPC to the living room, and access it from the 360 in the mancave. Then I can in the future get another 360 for the bedroom (looks like used ones are under $100 right now) to access not only my full list of channels, but also any recordings I make. That opens up potential wifi issues and my house isn't fully wired up. I may be able to use powerline adapters at each TV location, though. Do you have any experience with that? Thanks again for all the help!
post #2145 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I do currently have an xbox 360 - but it just happens to be connected to the same TV that the HTPC is hooked up to. Since they are on the same network, though, I should be able to get the HTPC up and running with the prime, and then set up the xbox 360 as an extender and hopefully get it up and running to my liking. At that point, I can then move the HTPC to the living room, and access it from the 360 in the mancave. Then I can in the future get another 360 for the bedroom (looks like used ones are under $100 right now) to access not only my full list of channels, but also any recordings I make. That opens up potential wifi issues and my house isn't fully wired up. I may be able to use powerline adapters at each TV location, though. Do you have any experience with that? Thanks again for all the help!
I know that you can access all of your recordings and live TV from your primary PC that houses all of your WMC and recordings as well as any extenders you set up on the network. Laptops and other devices are a different story and if your HTPC isn't your primary PC then you would have a hard time accessing some DRM content. But if this HTPC you speak of is your primary PC then you shouldn't have any issues.

As to your WiFi issue I can't say much since I wired my house and all of my extenders are hardwired. Since I use them for gaming I didn't want the latency associated with WiFi connections and I know that some who stream HD content run into issues from time to time with the same things. I also don't have much experience with the powerline adapters for the same reason.

Jer

post #2146 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I have a similar setup to @jeremyhelling except with two xbox360s and I used to use power line adapters. Power line will probably work fine unless your wiring is poor or if the outlets go to a different electrical panel. It will probably be faster and more stable than wifi. Note that I'm saying probably a lot here because it isn't always perfect, but it's usually decent. It's also pretty cheap to try. Newegg or Amazon often will have a pair of adapters on sale for less than $30. I'm also on comcast and echo what was sad earlier...it may take 2 or 3 or 4 calls to get the right tech to activate the cablecard properly. Google comcast cablecard activation number to get a direct phone number to someone who's more likely to know what you're talking about.
post #2147 of 2156 Old 09-10-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I use Echoes (4 of them) and DECA (cheap DirecTV version of MOCA, only $10 per node) for ethernet at each TV. Cheap and simple. Nice thing about Echo is the size. It's completely silent and can be completely hidden.

I know the mere mention of the "E" word whips everyone into a frenzy. So please, no debate this time. I'll stipulate that some like them and some don't and that the Xbox is more feature rich and leave it at that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2148 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Don't over estimate the difficulty of setup of the cablecard though. That is probably the most difficult step and it hinges largely on finding a Comcast rep that knows what they're doing to pair it properly.
I have a good friend who is a TWC tech. Here's what he told me about making this process easier. I would totally assume the same goes for Comcast or ANY cable provider. Find the "TiVo Department" for you cable company. Ask for it by name. Those are the guys who know CableCARD the best and will most likely know Silicon Dust, Ceton, etc. products as well. He was kind enough to give me the direct number for that dept. with Time Warner and both techs I have dealt with (once for initial config. and the second time for the Tuning Adapter install) knew the HDHR product inside and out.
post #2149 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, if you haven't yet bought one SlickDeals has a pretty good deal on one that just came up: here.

Jer

post #2150 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
BTW, if you haven't yet bought one SlickDeals has a pretty good deal on one that just came up: here.
Thanks for this! I was going to get the tuner anyway, now I've got an AC router to mess around with till I get my hands on the new iphone that uses that standard! Hoping to stop by Comcast this evening to get the cablecard thing, hopefully next week I'll have the whole thing up and running. As for the powerline adapters, I already have a pair (the Linksys PLEK500) - so if I need to get more I think I'd have to get another pair of that exact same type so that they will all talk to each other.
jeremyhelling likes this.
post #2151 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for this! I was going to get the tuner anyway, now I've got an AC router to mess around with till I get my hands on the new iphone that uses that standard! Hoping to stop by Comcast this evening to get the cablecard thing, hopefully next week I'll have the whole thing up and running. As for the powerline adapters, I already have a pair (the Linksys PLEK500) - so if I need to get more I think I'd have to get another pair of that exact same type so that they will all talk to each other.
No problem. Just good timing that I saw it in my alerts.

Jer

post #2152 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
No problem. Just good timing that I saw it in my alerts.
I was likely going to look for an AC router this winter, but was looking as Asus. Maybe I'll set this one up as an "access point" somewhere else in the house so I can still use it if I do get an Asus AC router. Thanks again. Fingers crossed that this transition goes smoothly and the wife doesn't get too upset at the changes.
post #2153 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was likely going to look for an AC router this winter, but was looking as Asus. Maybe I'll set this one up as an "access point" somewhere else in the house so I can still use it if I do get an Asus AC router. Thanks again. Fingers crossed that this transition goes smoothly and the wife doesn't get too upset at the changes.
I would recommend investing in a Harmony Logitech remote for each location and the transition should be fine. I made the same one and my wife isn't tech savvy at all but the remote in her hand that also has help features and a familiar 'feel' went a long ways in that I think.

Oh, one more tip: You can set an Xbox 360 to boot right into WMC. Set this setting to make it easier for her but also explain what it does and how to do it should it not actually boot into WMC which goes happen on occasion. Also, setting up smart buttons to do commands she's used to (Movies, Recorded TV, Guide, Live TV, etc) is another way to make the transition easier.

Jer

post #2154 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I would recommend investing in a Harmony Logitech remote for each location and the transition should be fine. I made the same one and my wife isn't tech savvy at all but the remote in her hand that also has help features and a familiar 'feel' went a long ways in that I think.

Oh, one more tip: You can set an Xbox 360 to boot right into WMC. Set this setting to make it easier for her but also explain what it does and how to do it should it not actually boot into WMC which goes happen on occasion. Also, setting up smart buttons to do commands she's used to (Movies, Recorded TV, Guide, Live TV, etc) is another way to make the transition easier.
Thanks again. I have at least one harmony remote at the house, and may have a 2nd one sitting around somewhere (I'll need to find it since the move). Initially I want to tackle the mancave (where the HTPC and current xbox360 are) and the living room. I may just move the HTPC to the living room to accomplish that. Once those are done and working, I'll move onto the bedroom TV which currently only has an "SD digital adapter" so any HD signal or ability to view recorded shows there would be a huge plus. I found I can get refurbished xbox 360s at my local gamestop for right around $100.
post #2155 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 345
This universal remote (Inteset INT-422) is much cheaper than Harmony and gets the job done (multi-device, macros (aka activities), volume punch thru, keymoves, etc.). It's also JP1, so you can program it from your PC/Mac like Harmony with an additional cable:

http://shop.inteset.com/multi-functi...earning-remote

Seems out of whack to spend as much for a remote as you spend on an Xbox. That's like spending $20k on your car and another $20k on the key fob. Even the Xbox media remote would work fine.

post #2156 of 2156 Old 09-11-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
This universal remote (Inteset INT-422) is much cheaper than Harmony and gets the job done (multi-device, macros (aka activities), volume punch thru, keymoves, etc.). It's also JP1, so you can program it from your PC/Mac like Harmony with an additional cable:

http://shop.inteset.com/multi-functi...earning-remote

Seems out of whack to spend as much for a remote as you spend on an Xbox. Even the Xbox media remote would work fine.
That'll probably do the job. I've found that some model of the Harmony remotes are worth the price tag. I had 4 of the Xbox 360 Harmony Logitech remotes because I got them refurb'd many years ago for cheap. They were intuitive for the Xbox interface and worked great. Then, about a year or so ago, I got another killer deal on some 650's and sold my XBOX versions for more than I paid for them. I think in the end I'm into my 650's for around $10-$20 each after it's all said and done. I know that's not super helpful other than to say that you can find deals on refurbs of the various models. They're much cheaper and in my case were just as reliable. That being said I'd pay the higher price tag for the on-screen buttons I can set up and name to do whatever I want. These are the buttons we use 90% of the time (other than like volume, enter and the scroll buttons) and w/o them I think that my wife, mom, house sitter or anyone else who comes to stay here would have a more difficult time remembering what buttons do what. The days of having to type up a page of instructions for people to be able to watch TV are over and that is worth the price of admission IMO. But yeah, any universal remote will do the job... just depends on interface which some don't care for and if it were just me I'd probably be in the same boat.

Jer

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page