post #2161 of 2180 Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
You install MB3 Server and WMC Server TV on the HTPC used for the Prime and then you install the MB3 client on the Roku or Chromecast.
I've not had much luck with it. Really messes up WMC on my systems. Grabs tuners and won't let go, resulting in missed recordings, no tuners available, etc. Not ready for prime time IMO. MB3 on Roku is also still very buggy, weird artifacts in the GUI, slow, unstable. I'd keep it simple and go the DLNA route first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2180 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I've not had much luck with it. Really messes up WMC on my systems. Grabs tuners and won't let go, resulting in missed recordings, no tuners available, etc. Not ready for prime time IMO. MB3 on Roku is also still very buggy, weird artifacts in the GUI, slow, unstable. I'd keep it simple and go the DLNA route first.
How do I do the DLNA route? Got the prime last night, got all the software installed and such, but didn't call my cable provider as the Monday Night Football game was just starting. I'm going to call tonight, wish me luck! Any tips on that?
post #2163 of 2180 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteastham View Post
How do I do the DLNA route? Got the prime last night, got all the software installed and such, but didn't call my cable provider as the Monday Night Football game was just starting. I'm going to call tonight, wish me luck! Any tips on that?
I don't think there's anything to it. Turn on your streaming device, point it to the prime and pick a channel.

http://www.silicondust.com/dlna/
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=47

Prayer is the only thing that might help getting your cable card activated, and pretending you have a Tivo.

post #2164 of 2180 Old Today, 05:52 AM

So I got the prime Monday, hoooked it all up yesterday and installed software. Called up Comcast, got pushed to the 3rd person - and told him the numbers I thought he needed - waited about 3 minutes on hold, and the webpage for the prime said "connected" or whatever (it changed). So I thought I was all good. I ran a scan of the channels, and it started picking up channels so I thought I was set. Told the guy thank you and hung up. It took about 20 minutes for the full channel scan to run - and I find out that it only picked up the "clear QAM" channels (so no ESPN, TBS, TNT and the like). I'll call them back today to see if I can get that rectified. One question though, a bit technical... My HTPC is connected via powerline adapters (the new homeplug AV2 standard) as my house wasn't wired up when it was built. It also already had an older PCI TV tuner card, which worked great for my clear QAM channels (locals), and I've already been using it as a DVR for those. I set up the 3 new prime tuners on it last night, which as you saw above was only able to get the same clear QAM channels, which were just a bit more fuzzy on the prime tuners (as it's over powerline) than they had been on the older TV tuner card. Is there any way when watching my local channels to "force" WMC to utilize the PCI TV tuner card and not the prime? Thanks for all the help and tips!
post #2165 of 2180 Old Today, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I got the prime Monday, hoooked it all up yesterday and installed software. Called up Comcast, got pushed to the 3rd person - and told him the numbers I thought he needed - waited about 3 minutes on hold, and the webpage for the prime said "connected" or whatever (it changed). So I thought I was all good. I ran a scan of the channels, and it started picking up channels so I thought I was set. Told the guy thank you and hung up. It took about 20 minutes for the full channel scan to run - and I find out that it only picked up the "clear QAM" channels (so no ESPN, TBS, TNT and the like). I'll call them back today to see if I can get that rectified. One question though, a bit technical... My HTPC is connected via powerline adapters (the new homeplug AV2 standard) as my house wasn't wired up when it was built. It also already had an older PCI TV tuner card, which worked great for my clear QAM channels (locals), and I've already been using it as a DVR for those. I set up the 3 new prime tuners on it last night, which as you saw above was only able to get the same clear QAM channels, which were just a bit more fuzzy on the prime tuners (as it's over powerline) than they had been on the older TV tuner card. Is there any way when watching my local channels to "force" WMC to utilize the PCI TV tuner card and not the prime? Thanks for all the help and tips!
Yes. In the TV setup, edit channels. Double click an individual channel to set it to a specific tuner.

Powerline should be fine. But I suspect since they're yet another split, your incoming TV signal is a lot weaker now. Should improve when you take the old card out of service and remove the splitter.

Last edited by mdavej; Today at 07:01 AM.
post #2166 of 2180 Old Today, 07:17 AM

What old card would I be taking out and splitter would I be removing? Why should I remove the PCI TV tuner if it's picking up my clear QAM channels just fine? In the office on the 3rd floor of my house I have a cable wall jack that I have a 3 way coax splitter attached to. One goes to a small TV, one goes to the cable modem, and one now goes to the prime. Should that be changed around? The office is the location of one of my powerline adapters. On the first floor (technically basement) is where the HTPC is. It's connected to the network via the other powerline adapter. There is also a cable wall jack there which I believe has a 3 way splitter - one going to the TV directly, one going to the PCI TV card, and one is an extra for a future 2nd TV at the same location (I'm a sports nut, would like to be able to watch 2 games at once).
post #2167 of 2180 Old Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
What old card...
Use the HDHR Config Utility or the web based info page and check the signal strength and quality. If strength is below -14 or quality less than 90% you'll need to do something like rearrange your splitters.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #2168 of 2180 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Will do. I'm not at home now, but if I recall correctly there were 3 different signal bars for each tuner in the config utility. One way always around 90ish% and the other two were always maxed out on every channel. I guess I should max out signal to the prime, and then find out how to max that signal over my network (either powerline to HTPC or wireless N to laptops). Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully the next call to Comcast to get all the basic cable channels doesn't take an hour or two.....
post #2169 of 2180 Old Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
If you get all the clear channels but not those others it means your card(s) weren't properly paired to your tuner or something wasn't propagated properly on the bulkhead end but most likely the former in this situation. Also, you may want to consider putting your tuner directly next to your PC or running a single CAT5e or CAT6 cable to it and then putting your PC and Prime on an unmanaged gigabit switch. My entire house is CAT5 (built & wired the whole thing just before gigabit was the new hotness) so all of our extenders and most other items are on standard 100MB/s but this is more than enough to steam a single HD program to an extender. You'll want the added bandwidth between your PC and the tuner however as you can quickly soak up your 100MB/s if you're recording several programs while attempting to stream another program to an extender or using any other internet at all. Either way, if your Prime is far from your PC you will either need to run a CAT5e/CAT6 cable to it from your PC location or an RG6 to the PC for the Prime so depending on how your house was already wired it may make more sense to locate your Prime near your PC and utilize a nearby RG6 to connect it and then shorter network cables between a gigabit switch and your PC/Prime. There's ins't a whole lot of reason that your onboard tuner has better PQ than your Prime when it's all said and done.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #2170 of 2180 Old Today, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Will do. I'm not at home now, but if I recall correctly there were 3 different signal bars for each tuner in the config utility. One way always around 90ish% and the other two were always maxed out on every channel. I guess I should max out signal to the prime, and then find out how to max that signal over my network (either powerline to HTPC or wireless N to laptops). Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully the next call to Comcast to get all the basic cable channels doesn't take an hour or two.....
If your tuners are that high you should be good. I have six and soak up WAY more internet bandwidth than your average user and my system works just fine DVR'ing several programs while handing out other programs to several locations all at once. I wouldn't budget yourself an hour or two because it could be far less if you get lucky or, if like some of us, you're unlucky it could take hours of phone calls over several days to get it propagated. As was stated before, the rep you get makes ALL the difference. It's best to say you have a TiVo as you are more likely to get a rep trained in card pairing that knows what they're doing but based on my experience it seems as though about 1 in 10 actually does. It's a very dicey situation and you will find yourself years later not making any changes to anything and demanding reps don't adjust anything on your account to avoid having to go through that again. Over time, you will start to forget the exact steps and time required to get it all operational but enough of a scar will exist that you will know to avoid having to go through it all again at all possible costs. May the force be with you.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #2171 of 2180 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Between all those splitters, your prime is getting 1/8th the original signal strength coming into your house because 3-way splitters are actually 4-way internally. Then inside the prime the signal gets split yet again. If it were me, I would sell the PCI card and remove all other unused splitters. All you really need is one to your modem and another to your prime. That's it, unless you really need more than 3 tuners at any given time.

There are no powerline/ethernet signal strength issues to correct. It doesn't work like CATV.

Your numbers look good, but since you're still getting breakups, something is wrong.

And unless you install TunerSalad, I don't think WMC will see more than a total of 4 tuners anyway.

post #2172 of 2180 Old Today, 08:48 AM

WMC actually reported seeing the 2 tuners on my PCI tuner as well as the 3 tuners from the prime. I'm not sure how easily I can move the prime to be next to the HTPC. I'd want the prime to be connected to my wifi router so that I can pick up channels on wireless laptops. My modem and router are located in my office (2 floors away and on the other side of my house from the "mancave" where the HTPC is. As my wife telecommutes from home, and our main home computer isn't wireless. Now that I think about it, I guess my powerline adapters could go "the other direction" - have my cable modem, wifi router, prime and one powerline adapter in the mancave where the HTPC is located.....and then have the other powerline adapter in the office with a wifi router working as a swtich to her work computer, the man house computer, network printer and NAS. Man I wish the house was wired up from the start.....
post #2173 of 2180 Old Today, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WMC actually reported seeing the 2 tuners on my PCI tuner as well as the 3 tuners from the prime. I'm not sure how easily I can move the prime to be next to the HTPC. I'd want the prime to be connected to my wifi router so that I can pick up channels on wireless laptops. My modem and router are located in my office (2 floors away and on the other side of my house from the "mancave" where the HTPC is. As my wife telecommutes from home, and our main home computer isn't wireless. Now that I think about it, I guess my powerline adapters could go "the other direction" - have my cable modem, wifi router, prime and one powerline adapter in the mancave where the HTPC is located.....and then have the other powerline adapter in the office with a wifi router working as a swtich to her work computer, the man house computer, network printer and NAS. Man I wish the house was wired up from the start.....

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying your Prime doesn't HAVE to be on your physical router to be seen by other networked devices. It just gas to be on the same network. Not sure I understand your post though. If you have a basement or an attic you can still rectify your situation with a few runs and now that your getting in a bandwidth intensive arena now would be a good time to address that as your needs won't be lessening anytime soon.

Jer

post #2174 of 2180 Old Today, 09:33 AM

I have an attic, so I could network the 3rd floor (bedrooms and an office) all together. The basement is about 95% finished, so wiring there will be a large challenge. I bought the house last year, but it was built in 1998 and wasn't wired at with CAT5. I also don't have any idea of how the coax running into the house is done. Specifically, could I have the prime and the HTPC connected to a switch (wifi router operating as a switch actually) which is connected to a powerline adapter....and the other powerline adapter connected to the main wifi router and cable modem? That would then get me the best possible signal on the HTPC, but would it still allow me to use laptops and such to access the prime wirelessly?
post #2175 of 2180 Old Today, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
not exactly a home run prime question, but ifigured the people here might now where to direct me

1) I use home run prime to record my sporting events,
2) I use videoredo to edit the commercials out,
3)I use TSmuxer to convert to Blu-ray files/folders and
4)then IMG burn to burn to my blank BD.

I am looking to add a top menu to my final discs, currently the videoredo only provides menu's to those items that will be burned to DVD, and my files are too big for that. Tsmuxer and imgburn don't appear to have any type of menu creation within them.

Does anyone have any suggestion of a program I could use (free preferably) that would allow me to create menu so that the game doesn't start up right away upon insertion of the disc?

And where exactly in the process would I be doing this step?

any help you guys can point me to would be a BIG help

thank you for your time and consideration
post #2176 of 2180 Old Today, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have an attic, so I could network the 3rd floor (bedrooms and an office) all together. The basement is about 95% finished, so wiring there will be a large challenge. I bought the house last year, but it was built in 1998 and wasn't wired at with CAT5. I also don't have any idea of how the coax running into the house is done. Specifically, could I have the prime and the HTPC connected to a switch (wifi router operating as a switch actually) which is connected to a powerline adapter....and the other powerline adapter connected to the main wifi router and cable modem? That would then get me the best possible signal on the HTPC, but would it still allow me to use laptops and such to access the prime wirelessly?
Are your wireless router ports gigabit?

Is there an RG6 terminal somewhere in relation to your PC that would make extending it to where you need your Prime easier than running a new network cable the length of your house? In other words, if there's an RG6 terminal on the same wall on the other side it would take about 10min to move that the the side of the wall you need it to be in the same room as your PC and then putting everything on a separate switch that then feeds back into your network via the wire that originally fed your PC.

Not sure I understand how you want your setup connected. Basically you need your cable modem to be nearest the feed to your house with few splits as possible. Ideally you would have it split only once near where it comes into the house and then go into your cable modem and your Prime tuner (I wouldn't even bother trying to feed your PC tuner card at this point but you can) and then your Prime and your PC need to be connected via a gigabit connection to get enough bandwidth to handle simultaneous HD program recording while feeding other programs to extenders and still having internet connectivity. If you put this connection on your network somehow then any other device on the network can see tuners or recorded programs and other media. You don't have to have the Prime physically connected directly to the router for this to happen. They all just need to be on the same network. Your powerline just acts as a direct cable between the two units so think of it as a hardwire (even though there are some issues present you wouldn't normally get from an actual network cable but for purposes of this conversation just visualize a solid network cable between those units) connection between two devices on the network. Ideally you won't have this in use where your HTPC, Prime, Gigabit switch & router exist. It could be used to feed the HTPC/Switch/Prime back to your network and likely will work alright but this could also introduce some issues since your primary media source to all of your home would be dependent first on a power line adapter's connection being stable and error free. This is why I said you need to get your Prime and HTPC on a Gigabit switch directly connected to each other. If you are trying to feed three tuners to a PC that might want to record three HD programs at once on only a 10/100 connection you will likely run into bandwidth issues even before you factor in internet access on that PC or trying to simultaneously serve up other files elsewhere.

Personally, my router has gigabit switches. My Primes are right next to it and my PC that handles media duties is as well and all are connected via CAT6 to said router ports. Then, the final port feeds my 10/100 switch that feeds the rest of the house. An extender will never pull 100MB/s trying to stream a single HD recording so gigabit for everything is overkill. Your entire network can be 10/100 or powerline as long as those two devices are communucating via Gigabit.

Does this all make sense?

Jer

post #2177 of 2180 Old Today, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If it were me, I would sell the PCI card and remove all other unused splitters. All you really need is one to your modem and another to your prime. That's it, unless you really need more than 3 tuners at any given time.
You can never have too many tuners!
I kept my Hauppauge 2250 2-tuner PCIe card installed when I added the CableCARD tuners. It really helps having two extra QAM tuners to augment my HDHR Prime and InfiniTV4. I use the Hauppauge FM radio tuner over the extenders once in a while too.

Quote:
And unless you install TunerSalad, I don't think WMC will see more than a total of 4 tuners anyway.
It's not a total of 4 tuners, it's 4 tuners of each type. Two QAM and three CableCARD shouldn't be a problem without tuner salad.
post #2178 of 2180 Old Today, 11:21 AM

Thank you for your extensive post! I'll see if I can explain what I currently have set up without confusing you and me both.

There is a main comcast line running into my house. From that point, I have no idea where splits and such are as everything is behind walls. What I do know (from opening up the wall jacks/ports) is that there is quite a bit of RG11 (not RG6) through the house - which is likely overkill. For all I know, though, the incoming line could be split 2 or 3 times before it hits the wall jack in the office. Is there a quick and easy way to check the signal strength at each wall cable jack (there are 9 in the house total)?

Anyway, at the office cable wall jack I have a 3 way splitter - one goes to a small TV that my wife has on while working, one goes to the cable modem, and the third goes to the prime. From the cable modem there is a cat5 line going to my d-link 655 router (gigabit I believe, and wireless N). The 4 ports on the router feed 1)main house computer 2)prime 3)small seagate NAS device and 4) one powerline adapter.

Two floors down and on the other side of the house (so no possible way to run any soft of wiring) is my mancave. This location has a cable wall jack which is split to feed the PCI TV tuner card on the HTPC and a direct line to the TV (so I can easily watch clear QAM locals in case all this other stuff isn't working properly and a game is on :-). At this location is where the other powerline adapter also is. It feeds an older d-link 615 router (don't believe it's gigabit, though) which I have set up as a wireless switch (think wifi hotspot for that room with 3 LAN ports as well as the 4th is the incoming from the powerline adapter). Those 3 ports on this router feed 1)HTPC 2)xbox360 and 3)playstation.

If needed I also have switches that can be used for additional LAN ports at either location.

Aside from the mancave, I have an HDTV in my living room and one in the bedroom where I'll likely have either xbox 360s as extenders or I'll use laptops with remotes as 2nd and 3rd HTPC's with their wireless capabilities. If wireless isn't strong enough at these locations, I may purchase another set of the same powerline adapters so I'd have a total of 4.

I hope all that makes sense.

Last edited by mteastham; Today at 11:25 AM.
post #2179 of 2180 Old Today, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your extensive post! I'll see if I can explain what I currently have set up without confusing you and me both.

There is a main comcast line running into my house. From that point, I have no idea where splits and such are as everything is behind walls. What I do know (from opening up the wall jacks/ports) is that there is quite a bit of RG11 (not RG6) through the house - which is likely overkill. For all I know, though, the incoming line could be split 2 or 3 times before it hits the wall jack in the office. Is there a quick and easy way to check the signal strength at each wall cable jack (there are 9 in the house total)?

Anyway, at the office cable wall jack I have a 3 way splitter - one goes to a small TV that my wife has on while working, one goes to the cable modem, and the third goes to the prime. From the cable modem there is a cat5 line going to my d-link 655 router (gigabit I believe, and wireless N). The 4 ports on the router feed 1)main house computer 2)prime 3)small seagate NAS device and 4) one powerline adapter.

Two floors down and on the other side of the house (so no possible way to run any soft of wiring) is my mancave. This location has a cable wall jack which is split to feed the PCI TV tuner card on the HTPC and a direct line to the TV (so I can easily watch clear QAM locals in case all this other stuff isn't working properly and a game is on :-). At this location is where the other powerline adapter also is. It feeds an older d-link 615 router (don't believe it's gigabit, though) which I have set up as a wireless switch (think wifi hotspot for that room with 3 LAN ports as well as the 4th is the incoming from the powerline adapter). Those 3 ports on this router feed 1)HTPC 2)xbox360 and 3)playstation.

If needed I also have switches that can be used for additional LAN ports at either location.

Aside from the mancave, I have an HDTV in my living room and one in the bedroom where I'll likely have either xbox 360s as extenders or I'll use laptops with remotes as 2nd and 3rd HTPC's with their wireless capabilities. If wireless isn't strong enough at these locations, I may purchase another set of the same powerline adapters so I'd have a total of 4.

I hope all that makes sense.
Is your 'main pc in your office' the one doing the WMC duties (DVR, tuner access & other media streaming) or the HTPC in your mancave?

Jer

post #2180 of 2180 Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
not exactly a home run prime question, but ifigured the people here might now where to direct me

1) I use home run prime to record my sporting events,
2) I use videoredo to edit the commercials out,
3)I use TSmuxer to convert to Blu-ray files/folders and
4)then IMG burn to burn to my blank BD.

I am looking to add a top menu to my final discs, currently the videoredo only provides menu's to those items that will be burned to DVD, and my files are too big for that. Tsmuxer and imgburn don't appear to have any type of menu creation within them.

Does anyone have any suggestion of a program I could use (free preferably) that would allow me to create menu so that the game doesn't start up right away upon insertion of the disc?

And where exactly in the process would I be doing this step?

any help you guys can point me to would be a BIG help

thank you for your time and consideration
Windows Movie Maker might work well for this, and it's free. I've used it to make menus for home movies. I don't see why it wouldn't work for other files too.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/ usually has good info about that kind of thing.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page