Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2251 of 2296 Old 11-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
D-Link GO-SW-8G 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch

I found this for 30 bucks and tax. Will this suffice for this tv tuner and pc's that hookup to it?
I can always buy a AP from dlink and have that independent of the switch too. but wifi is
in xfininity router so I can use wifi from xfinity instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2296 Old 11-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Modem/Router

Thankfully Wiley clarified the issue. Some reps will refer to a modem with one outlet as a router since it handles security and may have an outbound firewall. I'm currently resolving issues by setting my clocks to be the same (not just scheduling problems) and removing an motherboard AppCenter that I only used to flash the BIOS. Programs recorded with an old HDCP non-compliant monitor connected by VGA to circumvent protection won't play with newer monitors.
post #2253 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I need help/input before I contact Comcast again.

I just swap out another cable card. I activated it online first. The online activation said completed/done but HDHomeRun Prime still had one red light. Finally, I called in to activate over the phone. Now, I have both green light on the HDHomeRun Prime. Comcast says everything is fine on their end or on my account. I used HDHomeRun setup sw to scan the channels and it could not detect any channels. On Windows Media Center, it said "Subscription Required" on the channels that I have before.

Anyone had/knew about this problem?

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR838
Front: Polk RTiA9
Center: Polk CSiA6
Sub: Polk DSW PRO 660 wi
post #2254 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by huy30 View Post
I need help/input before I contact Comcast again.

I just swap out another cable card. I activated it online first. The online activation said completed/done but HDHomeRun Prime still had one red light. Finally, I called in to activate over the phone. Now, I have both green light on the HDHomeRun Prime. Comcast says everything is fine on their end or on my account. I used HDHomeRun setup sw to scan the channels and it could not detect any channels. On Windows Media Center, it said "Subscription Required" on the channels that I have before.

Anyone had/knew about this problem?
I would call again, I know that sound stupid, but sometimes the first rep you talked to has no clue.
AzDragonLord likes this.

Jeff
post #2255 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wrong thread.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'

Last edited by jeremyhelling; 11-13-2014 at 09:53 AM.
post #2256 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
huy

After installing HomeRun software the computer must be restarted before it will detect channels. It provides a quick view to assure you have a connection but only has a purpose if you don't use the defaults for Windows MC. The Digital Cable Advisor (for DRM setup) seems to have disappeared for me but when I get only one tuner detected I cancel and redo the detection in WMC. TV signal setup digital tuner diagnostics > digital tuner diagnostics signal provides a quick view of the last channel used (should be the last but that is a different story). When problems occur restarting the computer or shutting down usually resolves them. Clear all scheduled programming may be required to correct corruption (programming is no longer working).
post #2257 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have my prime hooked up to a 8 port Dlink? gigabyte switch, the switch goes to my 4 port gig router/wifi box and everything hooked to either box works great. I needed more ports anyways as I have about 7 wired devices now, most gigabyte, and a few wifi only tablets and things.
Combo pretty much worked great the minute I put it all together as I didn't need yet one more router to make everything work, though some routers can be reconfigured to act like a simple switch. Router was much more expensive then just a simple extra switch anyways.
Comcast now wants me to let them "upgrade" my phone/modem to the new version. The new one has wifi built in, so what I have a good wifi setup now, and also looses the backup battery the one they gave me has in it now, unless I want to pay extra to ad a battery
I don't think so, I have no intention of upgrading to their new platform and probably having to pay higher rent plus buy a battery I don't need nowThey will not let subscribers buy the phone/modem here even though across the river in Washington you can...
post #2258 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 04:36 PM

With a lot of wirless devices I have being 12. they said I should create a 2nd AP to relax all the devices off wifi.
so I will do the 4 port xfinity router and just tee off a switch to serve tv stuff and t other side a AP to serve wifi
devices. which should suffice all the things and make the damn HD homrun happy with its UPnP ********.
post #2259 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304 View Post
With a lot of wirless devices I have being 12. they said I should create a 2nd AP to relax all the devices off wifi.
so I will do the 4 port xfinity router and just tee off a switch to serve tv stuff and t other side a AP to serve wifi
devices. which should suffice all the things and make the damn HD homrun happy with its UPnP ********.
You're going to run two separate wireless access points for 12 wireless devices? I have 30+ wireless clients running 24/7 on a single router in addition to all of my hardwired devices.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #2260 of 2296 Old 11-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Artiticle says too many wifi devices saterate sppeds. its ok I just wanna make network more stable for the hd homerun prime.
guy says having it on its own switch with pc's that use it is more stable and wont give upnp errors either.
post #2261 of 2296 Old 11-14-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have has a Home Run Prime unit since august, Last night I fell asleep watching a football game and when I woke up, the display was stating that it has no signal, or some other message (the screen went back to the menu)

When I changed the channel, it tuned right in, when I tuned it back to the original channel I fell asleep to, it also tuned right in.
Is there some sort of "sleep timer" that if nothing gets touched for a certain about of time the unit will disconnect from the channel it is on?.

My computer is always on, is set to never sleep, never hibernate, NOTHING - so I know that isn't the culprit. Although I am thinking of letting it sleep or hibernate so the computer itself is saved from some wear and tear. But that's an issue for another day.

Anyone that can explained what happened to my unit over night, it is most appreciated

thank you
post #2262 of 2296 Old 11-14-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
I would call again, I know that sound stupid, but sometimes the first rep you talked to has no clue.
I went ahead and exchange for another cable card and activated again...still have the same problem. HDHomeRun setup sw did not detect any channels.
I did call back couple times but Comcast said that it was OK on their end.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR838
Front: Polk RTiA9
Center: Polk CSiA6
Sub: Polk DSW PRO 660 wi
post #2263 of 2296 Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
You're going to run two separate wireless access points for 12 wireless devices? I have 30+ wireless clients running 24/7 on a single router in addition to all of my hardwired devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304 View Post
Artiticle says too many wifi devices saterate sppeds. its ok I just wanna make network more stable for the hd homerun prime.
guy says having it on its own switch with pc's that use it is more stable and wont give upnp errors either.
There are many reasons you might want to have multiple WAPs on your network... wireless coverage and segregating traffic are probably the most common. I actually have four routers in my network, only one acts as a true wireless router, two are configured as WAPs only, and the third is configured as a 5GHz bridge link to the "island that my main media PC lives on. No wired network traffic flows through the routers except the internet connection to the cable modem and the two VoIP gateways that are attached to that same router. Otherwise, all traffic flows through unmanaged gigabit switches. Ideally, I would have a single centrally located 48-port switch, but the house does not lend itself to home run wiring.

The setup I have (SEE HERE) works flawlessly for both HDHomerun (I have two primes, two duals, three dedicated WMC PCs, two xbox extenders and several laptops that are occasionally used as wireless TVs) as well as for the fairly large number of wireless devices we have (that are very often used for streaming video and music from the internet or from one of the NAS devices or media PCs).

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #2264 of 2296 Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
There are many reasons you might want to have multiple WAPs on your network... wireless coverage and segregating traffic are probably the most common. I actually have four routers in my network, only one acts as a true wireless router, two are configured as WAPs only, and the third is configured as a 5GHz bridge link to the "island that my main media PC lives on. No wired network traffic flows through the routers except the internet connection to the cable modem and the two VoIP gateways that are attached to that same router. Otherwise, all traffic flows through unmanaged gigabit switches. Ideally, I would have a single centrally located 48-port switch, but the house does not lend itself to home run wiring.

The setup I have (SEE HERE) works flawlessly for both HDHomerun (I have two primes, two duals, three dedicated WMC PCs, two xbox extenders and several laptops that are occasionally used as wireless TVs) as well as for the fairly large number of wireless devices we have (that are very often used for streaming video and music from the internet or from one of the NAS devices or media PCs).
That is WAY overkill for the type of traffic you're running. Whomever suggested this guy is reaching his cap with 12 wireless devices is giving him bad advice that will cost him more money and headache. A properly configured infrastructure doesn't need all that hardware to run consistent and reliable.

Jer

post #2265 of 2296 Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
That is WAY overkill for the type of traffic you're running. Whomever suggested this guy is reaching his cap with 12 wireless devices is giving him bad advice that will cost him more money and headache. A properly configured infrastructure doesn't need all that hardware to run consistent and reliable.
Maybe for normal traffic, yes. But not for coverage. House is three full stories and over 5000 sq.ft. Bottom line is that it was implemented for coverage but has also provided flawless HDHR operations (with at least six WMC PCs and two extenders accessing a total of 10 tuners) for about three years now... and it didn't cost very much to implement.

The 5GHz link to the "island" used to support three simultaneous channels recording when all of the tuners resided on the "mainland" and had zero effect on the normal 2.4GHz traffic that could have included additional wireless WMC viewing (we often use laptops as wireless TVs out on the deck or when working on cars in the driveway) or Amazon/Netflix streaming. Now, the 5Ghz link only supports internet and NAS traffic to the devices on the island, plus outbound traffic to one of the xbox extenders that is linked to the WMC setup on the island.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #2266 of 2296 Old 11-14-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Maybe for normal traffic, yes. But not for coverage. House is three full stories and over 5000 sq.ft. Bottom line is that it was implemented for coverage but has also provided flawless HDHR operations (with at least six WMC PCs and two extenders accessing a total of 10 tuners) for about three years now... and it didn't cost very much to implement.

The 5GHz link to the "island" used to support three simultaneous channels recording when all of the tuners resided on the "mainland" and had zero effect on the normal 2.4GHz traffic that could have included additional wireless WMC viewing (we often use laptops as wireless TVs out on the deck or when working on cars in the driveway) or Amazon/Netflix streaming. Now, the 5Ghz link only supports internet and NAS traffic to the devices on the island, plus outbound traffic to one of the xbox extenders that is linked to the WMC setup on the island.
He never said anything about coverage... his ONLY qualifier was 12 wireless devices.

Also, I've have two Primes, several PCs/laptops/tablets/smartphones as well as five Xbox 360 Extenders and that's aside from all my other devices (over a dozen 720p IP cams & various other smart home devices) all sharing the same network and it handles it just fine. I stand behind my previous statement that if someone told him he needs two access points to alleviate traffic with 12 wireless devices it wasn't good advice.

This isn't that complex folks.

Jer

post #2267 of 2296 Old 11-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I have has a Home Run Prime unit since august, Last night I fell asleep watching a football game and when I woke up, the display was stating that it has no signal, or some other message (the screen went back to the menu)

When I changed the channel, it tuned right in, when I tuned it back to the original channel I fell asleep to, it also tuned right in.
Is there some sort of "sleep timer" that if nothing gets touched for a certain about of time the unit will disconnect from the channel it is on?.

My computer is always on, is set to never sleep, never hibernate, NOTHING - so I know that isn't the culprit. Although I am thinking of letting it sleep or hibernate so the computer itself is saved from some wear and tear. But that's an issue for another day.

Anyone that can explained what happened to my unit over night, it is most appreciated

thank you
Does your area use SDV (and was the channel in question an SDV channel)?

When I fall asleep watching live tv, I am often greeted by this and/or a message in WMC that viewing may be stopped soon and to click if I am still there (I forget the WMC message I think it just says click to continue watching but I know the STB message is "Are You still there?") , this will let the headend/node know the channel is still in use.... sometimes cable companies will reset "all" SDV channels overnight... here it used to happen every night at 2AM (and one symptom was you couldn't watch VOD over that time, it would stop and then you would have to restart... hopefully it remembered where you were or let you fast forward, they had later changed this to only affect VOD) then they switched to varying the time (still occurred sometime between 1AM and 6AM) then to only once a week, and lately it seems like it is only once a month to flush everything out (when this happens it is without warning).

If you are not on SDV your provider might have simply remapped where the station was overnight
post #2268 of 2296 Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

What exactly is SDV?

The channel in question was CBS sports network, a digital cable channel (or available on sports pack). Channel 255 (in HD) on my Comcast system

The overnight reset thing may explain it as I have never seen it pop up before, although I general only use it for my college football set up (see my AV) and even then, I change the channel every 3-4 hours.

hopefully this wouldn't disrupt any recording or stuff like that

what are people opinion here on which sleep setting I should USE for my CPU so it can still record and function, but perhaps save some wear and tear for the 95% of the time I am NOT using anything.
post #2269 of 2296 Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I would suspect a signal issue from your cable provider.
post #2270 of 2296 Old 11-17-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post
I would suspect a signal issue from your cable provider.
signcarver's answer was much more helpful
post #2271 of 2296 Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
signcarver's answer was much more helpful
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what the cause actually was. A longer answer is not necessarily the correct answer.

I will admit though that I don't watch live TV much, and almost never watch live TV that I'm not also recording, so I've never seen what signcarver described happen. I have, however, seen signal issues.
post #2272 of 2296 Old 11-17-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

A more specific answer like his definitely is more helpful - notice I state "helpful" and not debating whether or not it is "correct"

Telling someone to contact their cable company (Comcast)- and deal with customer service on some nebulous "signal issue" sounds more like sadistic punishment .

But that's just my 2 cents, perhaps others prefer 1 liners and talking to Comcast customer service via the phillepean call centers
post #2273 of 2296 Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A more specific answer like his definitely is more helpful - notice I state "helpful" and not debating whether or not it is "correct"

Telling someone to contact their cable company (Comcast)- and deal with customer service on some nebulous "signal issue" sounds more like sadistic punishment .

But that's just my 2 cents, perhaps others prefer 1 liners and talking to Comcast customer service via the phillepean call centers
Okay, in the future I'll just remember not to try to help you. There is more than one possible cause to your issue. And I didn't say or even suggest that you would have to call Comcast. No service is up 24/7 100% of the time. That you might have had a temporary outage is hardly unheard of.

I will admit I did not notice anyone had responded to you, so I thought I was doing you a favor giving you a response. My mistake. It won't happen again.
Vampidemic likes this.

Last edited by Karyk; 11-17-2014 at 12:59 PM.
post #2274 of 2296 Old 11-17-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post
Okay, in the future I'll just remember not to try to help you. There is more than one possible cause to your issue. And I didn't say or even suggest that you would have to call Comcast. No service is up 24/7 100% of the time. That you might have had a temporary outage is hardly unheard of.

I will admit I did not notice anyone had responded to you, so I thought I was doing you a favor giving you a response. My mistake. It won't happen again.
don't take it so personal bro,

SignCarver provided an answer, and I appreciate all helpful responses.

Maybe next time yours will be helpful to me
post #2275 of 2296 Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Comcast does not use SDV, so it most likely is (was) a signal issue or a problem with your tuner.

But yeah you need to lighten up and accept all replies as helpful, or find yourself not getting any more help.
Vampidemic likes this.
post #2276 of 2296 Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Comcast does not use SDV, so it most likely is (was) a signal issue or a problem with your tuner.
Thank you for the useful information
post #2277 of 2296 Old 11-26-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Primes are on firesale at Amazon and Newegg. $80 shipped. I am excited to get mine and replace my ATI DCT.

So given the way the internet loves to rampantly speculate on these things, is Silicon Dust:

a) giving up on cablecard and discontinuing the product

b) unveiling a 6 tuner (or greater!) model at CES in a few weeks

c) this is just a Black Friday sale, cool your jets

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma

Last edited by pittsoccer33; 11-26-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #2278 of 2296 Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It seems to go on sale fairly regularly. The six tuner Prime was announced January 2014, with release slated sometime around "early Q2" which is obviously long past. Maybe it is coming out soon then
post #2279 of 2296 Old 11-26-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I just ordered mine yesterday. I hope neither of those are true!

Now I need to get on building a HTPC and figure out how far down the rabbit hole I want to go . ..
post #2280 of 2296 Old 11-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK, this thread is way beyond my capacities to understand, but thought I'd lob a question here: I have an original 2 tuner HDHR, and 1 Prime, on a Gigabit router (hardwired) to 3 primary HTPC's. I currently only subscribe to basic cable (QAM). I do NOT currently run a cablecard. Provider is Time Warner (Carlsbad, CA). Win 7 Ultimate with MCE is only software used.

When I run the setup and scan in HDHR setup, I get around 45 channels, the basic network HD's and a sever music choice channels (I don't care about them).

When I run setup in MCE, I get a max of 14 or so channels, but by the end of the scan, it lowers down to about 8. There are some of the older SD channels and most, but not all, of the network HD channels.

My simple goal is to just get the network channels consistently with Guide support for recording network TV, so ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and I'd be pretty happy.

Any idea why my MCE scan fails to find all of the appropriate networks? I recently updated the HDHF sofware. . .

Would it benefit me to order a cablecard for the prime, especially since I don't subscribe to the upper tiers? Although I might. . .

thanks for any input, and happy Turkey to all. . .
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page