24Likes

post #2311 of 2327 Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Gator,

I will definitely start out on the windows based solutions, and if I need to go further down the path, I will pursue the APP option was well.
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2327 Old 12-23-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Got on board with a homerun prime and TWC preferred TV package. Having troubles getting the tuner adapter to work. I have connected everything but the light on the TA keeps blinking. TWC confirms that my TV service has been activated. I also have internet from TWC, nothing wrong with that, just having issues with TV. What could be wrong here guys? Is my prime bad?
post #2313 of 2327 Old 12-23-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post
Got on board with a homerun prime and TWC preferred TV package. Having troubles getting the tuner adapter to work. I have connected everything but the light on the TA keeps blinking. TWC confirms that my TV service has been activated. I also have internet from TWC, nothing wrong with that, just having issues with TV. What could be wrong here guys? Is my prime bad?
That's a bad/unactivated TA or problem on TWC's end. Tell them to try again. Failing that, swap it for another. My cable company once mistakenly removed my TA from my account entirely. When they added it back, it started working.
post #2314 of 2327 Old 12-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Thank you for the response, I will definitely look at those tools. How do I access the HomeRun Prime "config"? (GUI)
It's under the windows start menu. Start\HDHomeRun\HDHomeRun Config (GUI).

Last edited by dfkimbro; 12-24-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Sorry...didn't see someone else had already posted.
post #2315 of 2327 Old 12-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post
If you are having issues with TWC and any type of HDHR programming, when you call back to get it resolved say you have a TiVo so you can get to the dept. that knows WTF they're doing. I think I have the direct number somewhere at home. By going directly to them, I was able to get my HDHR setup in less than 30 mins. and another 20 mins. a week later after I went back to the TWC distribution center to get my TA.
post #2316 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

One other question, is there anyway within the homerun prime to dial down the encoding bit rate just a bit. I can fit a three hour football game on a Blu-ray disc I would like to dialback that encoding rate just a bit so it is more like three hours and 30 minutes. Is there anyway for me to accomplish this?
post #2317 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
One other question, is there anyway within the homerun prime to dial down the encoding bit rate just a bit. I can fit a three hour football game on a Blu-ray disc I would like to dialback that encoding rate just a bit so it is more like three hours and 30 minutes. Is there anyway for me to accomplish this?
No. You aren't actually 'recording' anything, rather you're capturing the stream as broadcast. You could re-encode the captured stream, I suppose, before authoring it to BD.
post #2318 of 2327 Old Today, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Fair enough comment, but I also have a Hauppauge Colossus "capture card". That does have a settings tab allowing me to set the bit rate of the capture.

Is the same type of feature available with the Home Run Prime?
post #2319 of 2327 Old Today, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Nope
post #2320 of 2327 Old Today, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Fair enough comment, but I also have a Hauppauge Colossus "capture card". That does have a settings tab allowing me to set the bit rate of the capture.

The Prime is just a tuner, it does nothing more than tune in the channels in your channel package tier.

It is the Media Center software on the PC that does the recording, and the culprit here. For some odd reason, it was made not to allow the same recording mode options for digital cable channels, that the old Media Center did with standard def cable channels.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #2321 of 2327 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
The Prime is just a tuner, it does nothing more than tune in the channels in your channel package tier.

It is the Media Center software on the PC that does the recording, and the culprit here. For some odd reason, it was made not to allow the same recording mode options for digital cable channels, that the old Media Center did with standard def cable channels.
So there is nothing in windows media center that would allow me to "dial -down" the bit rate.

Is that correct?
post #2322 of 2327 Old Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

The Colossus is doing an analog-to-digital conversion, so you can adjust the quality of that conversion. As others have noted, the Prime does not convert the cable stream, just records it directly.

I do re-encode basketball and football games for the same reasons you're interested in, fitting them into a smaller size. I use VideoRedo to edit out the commercials and re-encode to H.264. Works very well, I can shrink a college basketball game to less than 3 GB. Football games are a little longer but you'd easily get them to fit on a Blu-Ray disc.
post #2323 of 2327 Old Today, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
The Colossus is doing an analog-to-digital conversion, so you can adjust the quality of that conversion. As others have noted, the Prime does not convert the cable stream, just records it directly.

I do re-encode basketball and football games for the same reasons you're interested in, fitting them into a smaller size. I use VideoRedo to edit out the commercials and re-encode to H.264. Works very well, I can shrink a college basketball game to less than 3 GB. Football games are a little longer but you'd easily get them to fit on a Blu-Ray disc.

For the most part, it isn't an issue. Most football games need to be edited down to the 3 hour mark with when you take out commercials and halftime, is usually doable.
****It just would be great to have 1 disc capacity be more like 3:30 so all i'd need to do is take out halftime. (less video redo editing on my part)*****
If I ever have some 4OT game in football or hockey, or 14 innings in baseball, for sure I will use VRD to convert to H.264 and get that smaller file size.

About how long does it take for your computer to do a H.264 recode on a ~3 hour event?
Why do you recode to H.264 for basketball games when they can easily fit onto a disc? Or do you archive them on a HDD and want to maximize your disc space there?
post #2324 of 2327 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
About how long does it take for your computer to do a H.264 recode on a ~3 hour event?
Why do you recode to H.264 for basketball games when they can easily fit onto a disc? Or do you archive them on a HDD and want to maximize your disc space there?
Yeah, I don't typically burn them to a disc unless I am making a copy for someone. I keep my Blu-Ray movies ripped at their native resolution, but for sports it's not really needed and I can save 8-10 GB by editing/converting them.

I haven't done a football game in a while, but checked my logs on the last basketball game I did and it was just under 3 hours. That's taking a 10-11 GB file with edits and converting to a ~3GB H.264 file with an average bitrate of 4 mpbs. I have a low end i3 processor with 4 GB RAM, running Win7 64 bit. I would guess a football game would take 4 hours or so. I usually just set it up and let it run overnight, so it's not a big deal.
post #2325 of 2327 Old Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The file size has nothing to do with Windows Media Center. As I said before you are capturing the stream from the channel. There is no recording going on. Analog channels had to be digitized and in doing so you could set a bit-rate or quality of the encode. Analogs were recorded. The only way to change the size of a digital stream is to re-encode it.

Last edited by olyteddy; Today at 02:03 PM.
post #2326 of 2327 Old Today, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whats getting on my nerves with this thing now is it pops up asking to setup my able card which is been done and shows the dreded message no tuner than 2 seconds later, it goes to the channel so their is something wrong with this device shovs. or bad configs or something.
post #2327 of 2327 Old Today, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
The file size has nothing to do with Windows Media Center. As I said before you are capturing the stream from the channel. There is no recording going on. Analog channels had to be digitized and in doing so you could set a bit-rate or quality of the encode. Analogs were recorded. The only way to change the size of a digital stream is to re-encode it.
Thank you for clarifying. I'm 3 weeks new into using the Prime, and I've read so much trying to figure out why the WMC recordings were coming in at such large sizes. WMC is capturing what it's receiving, unlike my old set top dvd/HDD recorders, which encoded digital QAM before recording. A frustrating realization for a newbie to discover.

It appears I was also in error about being able to set varying record modes when ''capturing'' a standard def channel. There is no option to change record mode when setting a recording to a (digital) standard def channel. Again, I'd read that while researching, but never bothered trying-as who'd want to use this to record a SD channel that had an HD version available?

Again, thanks for setting us straight.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; Today at 10:36 PM.
Reply Home Theater Computers