HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 79 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
post #2341 of 2359 Old 12-31-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post
Thanks a lot! How can I check the CCI flags of the channels?
If you enter the IP address of your HDHR in a web browser, you can navigate to the "tuner status" page which will show you the CCI info for that channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2359 Old 12-31-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
If you enter the IP address of your HDHR in a web browser, you can navigate to the "tuner status" page which will show you the CCI info for that channel.
It will show you the CCI info for the program that is playing on that channel. I have seen some programs flagged copy once and others flagged copy freely on the same channel.
post #2343 of 2359 Old 01-01-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It will show you the CCI info for the program that is playing on that channel. I have seen some programs flagged copy once and others flagged copy freely on the same channel.

Me too, and I have also seen content flagged as copy once, then copy freely during advertisements.....strange.
post #2344 of 2359 Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Having a strange issue I'm hoping someone can assist me with. My setup is:

- HDHomerun Prime being used with Cox CableCard/Tuning Adapter
- PC with an nvidia GTX 970 GPU
- HDMI from GPU to Denon receiver

I am having a problem with certain channels, for example AMC/TBS/SyFy flickering while watching live tv. The channels will flicker usually every ~5 seconds or so and it obviously makes watching these channels impossible. It's not every channel; for example ESPN/TNT/ABC Family work fine.

I've also noticed that it will only do this when WMC is full screen. If I exit out of full screen mode, these channels work as normal. The only thing I have seen online in regards to a "fix" is to ensure that in the nvidia control panel that dynamic contrast is off, and it already is.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
post #2345 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
29/59 issue AMC and SYFY for certain (SYFY is usually 14/29 now), haven't noticed it on TBS usually but don't watch it much off PC, only extenders... dynamic or adaptive contrast is the major thing to turn off but there are many other settings depending on video card... some need older drivers, others have other settings (I believe for nvidia it is something about a full screen video setting and I think some had dynamic contrast in two locations).

The best workaround is to use non-microsoft codecs/filters... however most cox markets protect everything but locals so that usually isn't an option (Cox New England is generally the only one that doesn't protect anything... there are a few areas from VA going NE to NE that vary... NOLA also has some areas that doesn't).
post #2346 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Having a strange issue I'm hoping someone can assist me with. My setup is:

- HDHomerun Prime being used with Cox CableCard/Tuning Adapter
- PC with an nvidia GTX 970 GPU
- HDMI from GPU to Denon receiver

I am having a problem with certain channels, for example AMC/TBS/SyFy flickering while watching live tv. The channels will flicker usually every ~5 seconds or so and it obviously makes watching these channels impossible. It's not every channel; for example ESPN/TNT/ABC Family work fine.

I've also noticed that it will only do this when WMC is full screen. If I exit out of full screen mode, these channels work as normal. The only thing I have seen online in regards to a "fix" is to ensure that in the nvidia control panel that dynamic contrast is off, and it already is.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
Let me ask this: By "flickering" do you mean the "strobe effect" (flashing) that everyone in here has talked about or is it just blinking (going black and then coming back) frequently?
post #2347 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Going black and coming back frequently.
post #2348 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Nvidia Control Panel / Adjust desktop color settings / Content type reported to the display / Full screen videos.
post #2349 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Ok, the reason I asked is because I had this EXACT same issue on certain channels. It turned out to be display resolution settings in WMC. I had WMC launching itself in full 1080p (1920x1080) while my windows desktop was set in the Nvidia control panel as a custom resized, perfect fit variation of 1080p. I simply went through the display wizard in WMC and told it to keep my current resolution and this resolved my issue. I would assume the other way would work as well, i.e. set the desktop to a non-resized, full 1080p resolution and tell Windows to keep THAT resolution during the display setup wizard.
post #2350 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Nvidia Control Panel / Adjust desktop color settings / Content type reported to the display / Full screen videos.

This solved the problem, thank you sir.
post #2351 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This solved the problem, thank you sir.
Great. The screen blanking is the worst manifestation of the 29/59 bug, and it only occurs with some TVs. It happens because the TV is switching between TV and PC timings or modes, and that can take several seconds. Lesser manifestations include whole-screen flicker (very fast, strobe-like flicker), and that is solved by turning off dynamic contrast. The least offensive type is jerky motion, and that is solved possibly by trying a different card, but IME, the biggest improvement to that was due to the broadcast chain getting its act relatively together, and that's going to be on a provider by provider basis.

Anyway, using "Full screen videos" keeps the TV in TV mode at all times, which can also enable various TV settings that aren't available when PC timings are being used. This was the case with my Sony LCDs.

Last edited by sawfish; 01-05-2015 at 06:08 PM.
post #2352 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Great. The screen blanking is the worst manifestation of the 29/59 bug, and it only occurs with some TVs. It happens because the TV is switching between TV and PC timings or modes, and that can take several seconds. Lesser manifestations include whole-screen flicker (very fast, strobe-like flicker), and that is solved by turning off dynamic contrast. The least offensive type is jerky motion, and that is solved possibly by trying a different card, but IME, the biggest improvement to that was due to the broadcast chain getting its act relatively together, and that's going to be on a provider by provider basis.

Anyway, using "Full screen videos" keeps the TV in TV mode at all times, which can also enable various TV settings that aren't available when PC timings are being used. This was the case with my Sony LCDs.

Yeah I figured there was something like that going on, just couldn't find the proper setting to fix it. I really appreciate it.

Do you think turning this on will mess with anything else, like playing games? I tried a few and all seems normal, just curious.
post #2353 of 2359 Old 01-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you think turning this on will mess with anything else, like playing games? I tried a few and all seems normal, just curious.
It would depend on what the TV does with it. Besides affecting settings availability, mode differences could include things like input lag and
"levels" AKA HDMI/DVI Dynamic Range differences. You could check the latter with pattern sets like AVS HD 709, particularly the Black Clipping and White Clipping patterns. It's been years, but I now realize my Sony LCD implicitly changed its dynamic range setting based on the Nvidia Content Type setting, and it required wildly different Brightness and Contrast settings to account for it.
post #2354 of 2359 Old 01-07-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Two little questions

First, any idea why one regular broadcast channel would work fine in SD but show a message along the lines of "not provisioned" for HD viewing? HBO etc. works just fine. I am on Comcast and would love some pointers.

Second, for viewing at home, can I view recorded materials on more than one PC? I seem to have issues with both HBO and regular OTA style programs.

Thanks!
post #2355 of 2359 Old 01-07-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If the programs are marked "copy once", you will not be able to view them on a different PC. This is where extenders (XBOX 360) come in handy.
post #2356 of 2359 Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nice to find this thread. I am a novice trying to save $ on the very high cable box fees and such.

will the HDHRPrime3 work with 3 HDTVs that are not DLNA? TVs are old (2007, 2009, 2011). I understand the need for a CableCard and tuning adapter but what device can I use to receive and hook up with HDMI to the TV?

I understand Roku1 may accomplish that but the HDHR3 transmits MPEG2 but ROku1 can only process H264, is that true?

also, what kind of remote control can I use to replicate the cable remote -- or will we have to use the Roku1 remote?

Any help is appreciated.
post #2357 of 2359 Old 02-04-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidehf View Post
I understand the need for a CableCard and tuning adapter but what device can I use to receive and hook up with HDMI to the TV?
I use a Windows 7 computer with Windows Media Center. I also use Ceton Echo extenders to share Windows Media Center with the other TVs in the house. Xbox 360s can also be used as Media Center extenders.

Quote:
I understand Roku1 may accomplish that but the HDHR3 transmits MPEG2 but ROku1 can only process H264, is that true?
The HDHomeRun Prime passes along whatever kind of signal your cable company provides. I have FiOS and most of my channels are MPEG-2, but some of my channels are h.264.

Quote:
also, what kind of remote control can I use to replicate the cable remote -- or will we have to use the Roku1 remote?

Any help is appreciated.
Inexpensive Windows Media Center remotes are available if you choose to go that route.
post #2358 of 2359 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidehf View Post
nice to find this thread. I am a novice trying to save $ on the very high cable box fees and such.

will the HDHRPrime3 work with 3 HDTVs that are not DLNA? TVs are old (2007, 2009, 2011). I understand the need for a CableCard and tuning adapter but what device can I use to receive and hook up with HDMI to the TV?

Any help is appreciated.
I'm not even certain a stand alone Roku can be used. I could be wrong. I believe with out DLNA, you can't escape using a computer as an intermediary. The most common is running Windows Media Center, which can pass the stream to either of the devices Ken mentioned. To use a Roku, I think you need additional software like Media Center 3 or PlayOn.

We have three TV's using our HDHR's: two are connected to PC's running WMC, the third is connected to an Xbox 360.

If you don't have a PC available, pick up a used one on Craigslist. Win 7 and 4Gb ram and your good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #2359 of 2359 Unread Today, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
A PS3 can play all channels from an HDHR, even copy once, but the issue is there's no guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page