HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 80 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #2371 of 2396 Old 04-13-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
I think I'm gonna wait a few weeks. I haven't had any issues with cgms, so I'm not in any rush to change something that works.
How do you know short of monitoring each recording real time with HDHomerun Config (GUI)? If CCI is not present then all that has to happen is one commercial to pop up CGMS protected and the whole recording will be marked as protected. Unless all of your channels have CCI protection.

I could record 5 min segments of the same show and they would turn up randomly protected due to CGMS.

Once the firmware is updated there will no longer be a line for CGMS protection when viewing the tuners in HDHomerun Config.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2396 Old 04-13-2015, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosy View Post
How do you know short of monitoring each recording real time with HDHomerun Config (GUI)?
You're correct...I don't know. But for my current use case (one HTPC recording/storing video with XBox360s as extenders), I don't think it matters. Now when I move those shows to a central server in the near future, I may indeed see issues. But most of the recording we are now making will be watched and deleted by then.

Is there a way to check for a CGMS flag after the recording is made?

I just hate installing firmware upgrades when something appears to be working.
post #2373 of 2396 Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not really any easy way other than seeing the recording was protected (or stopped) and one might assume that happened.

CCI overrides CGMS and typically CCI won't change (it can but usually this would require the cable company to manually mess with it, though I guess signal issues may also cause it)... the update most benefits those with cisco cards on 1.5.3 or later firmware where CCI of Copy Freely is not reported. It will also help those with clear qam channels that don't provide CCI. Usually when a channel is encrypted one is to expect CCI to be delivered (with the exception of copy freely on cisco 1.5.3+).

The other thing about the update is that it is needed for the Kodi Add-On. The update does break a few things and I would actually choose the latest Beta over the current release (Note they did have a beta in between that did screw things up for some)
post #2374 of 2396 Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I had this issue a couple of weeks ago, so I'll tell you my experience.

I'm in L.A. We have two HDHR Primes and three WMC PC's. I started noticing one PC not being able to record from the NBC channel. It kept saying the broadcaster has marked this channel as protected content (or something like that). Now, I could watch the channel live, I just couldn't record from it.

Then a few days later it started happening on the CBS channel. So I decided to check the other two PC's and they had the same issue. Then another day or two and yet another channel started doing the same thing.

I went to the SD forum and someone had posted about the same issue. One of the moderators responded, explaining it and suggesting the OP update his firmware. So I did that on both HDHR's and now everything is working normally.

I suggested they add it to the faq, but the response was, "Well, hopefully others who come here will search and find this thread".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #2375 of 2396 Old 04-16-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am hoping that you guys here and help me out. My homerun prime tuner worked perfectly last night. But tonight I am getting a subscription required message on all my channels. I did not change anything with hardware. How do I troubleshoot this? What should I look for is far as the blinking lights on the front of the unit? Anything you guys can do to assist would be very helpful
post #2376 of 2396 Old 04-16-2015, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I am hoping that you guys here and help me out. My homerun prime tuner worked perfectly last night. But tonight I am getting a subscription required message on all my channels. I did not change anything with hardware. How do I troubleshoot this? What should I look for is far as the blinking lights on the front of the unit? Anything you guys can do to assist would be very helpful

Have you considered that the problem may be your cable provider making changes and not the Prime? For example, when I returned one of my two cable (STB) boxes to Comcast that I no longer was using, I lost access to many channels on my Prime even though there should have been no relationship. On another occasion I started getting the Golf channel in place of CNN and some other channels. The challenge with Comcast in circumstances like I have mentioned is convincing them that they have a problem, and that the solution is not to dispatch a technician to your home.

The web interface to your Prime may provide you with more information on what has happened.
AzDragonLord likes this.

Bob
post #2377 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

As I am still a newbie when it comes to this piece of equipment, what interface are you referencing?

I did call Comcast to make sure that they could see the cable card and they stated that everything was A-OK. and the weird thing is that everything functioned perfectly last night, and I changed absolutely nothing on my setup.

Normally, should all 3 green lights be illuminated on the right side ( i see a place where there arfe 3 diodes, but never paid attention as to what was, or should be illuminated.)

In addition, i am no longer able to use my Hauppauge 'colossus' as that also is not being picked up by my computer as a capture card and find it very hard to think this all is unrelated to each other.

One last question, was there a 'physical' CD disc that camp with my homerun prime for set up? I cannot seem to find it anywhere and am wondering if that will cause extra hardship should i need to reboot and re-install anything

is there some sort of video card setting that I should be looking for as well?
any assistance on this is most appreciated

thank you
post #2378 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
billmich, just you will need to find your IP address for your HDHomerun and then just type it into your browser, i.e. mine is http://192.168.10.202/, then you will have access to allot of tools that will help you diagnose your problems.

I also think you should probably post over at Silicon Dust's forums, there they will probably want you to turn on their Support function that sends diagnostic information to Silicondust support (it is in the HDHomeRun Setup app, under Andvace), of course only do this when/if they request it.

Startt with your diagnostic page as mentioned by entering your ip address.

Your other questions:

1. 3 green lights on rights side, those are to indicate if you have a active channel, can't remember the two on the left those are the more important ones for diagnostics
2. There was a disc, but you don't need it all the downloads you need are right on silicondust's website, just be cognizant that their is production software and beta.
3. Video card setting probably don't come into effect for your issues, but yes there could be for the 29/59 framerate issue, but don't worry about that.

Jeff

Last edited by Gator99; 04-17-2015 at 06:32 AM.
post #2379 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the heads up. A person who helped me set the whole thing up last summer said I should first need to triple check that my cable card is still paired - so a call to Comcast will be made....or a 1 mile (close by!!) trip to the service center to obtain a new card may be in order tomorrow.

I always kept the front of the unit facing away from my viewing location, so I am not sure on the front facing lights, but I do know last night only 1 of the 3 were lit, so I am assuming that is not a good sign

I went into the menu last night and did turn on the diagnostics, but can revisit all that later tonight if need be.
I will head over to silicon dust forum tonight as I want to make sure I can address any questions while I am in front of my computer and not here at work

I am "HOPING" this is just an issue where comcast needs to re-ping my card., but the other issue is that i no longer can capture video from my DVR via my colossus card - so this double whammy really has my stomache in knots

Thank you again for your help, please let me know if there is anything else that I can provide to help trouble shoot ....it would be most helpfull to me down the road

Last edited by billmich; 04-17-2015 at 07:39 AM.
post #2380 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

honestly, calling Comcast would be the very last thing to do, you can see if the card is paired and what channels it has assisgned to your account in the diagnostics, as far as the lights 1 of three is not bad at all don't worry about them, look at your logs and pairing information when you get home, don't get a new card yet.

Also, I know this sounds crazy, but did you unplug your Prime and wait 10-15 seconds and then restart your PC?

attached is what the main menu in your browser for your Prime, report back here what you see on this screen and then others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	670833  

Jeff
post #2381 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I unplugged the prime, waited TWO minutes (just to be sure) and then plugged it back in with no success. and also rebooted the computer at least 3-4 times (although maybe NOT simultaneously)

What is going to be the easiest way for me to find out what the IP address is for my prime? that appears to be a wonderful diagnostic for me to report back on.
post #2382 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I unplugged the prime, waited TWO minutes (just to be sure) and then plugged it back in with no success. and also rebooted the computer at least 3-4 times (although maybe NOT simultaneously)

What is going to be the easiest way for me to find out what the IP address is for my prime? that appears to be a wonderful diagnostic for me to report back on.
open windows explorer, goto "This PC" and find your Prime and right click and goto properties, the IP will be there. or "Network" and double click on your Prime and it will open webpage

Jeff
post #2383 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Perfect, thanks
post #2384 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sounds like your network connection to the Prime And you Colossus is messed up. Pretty sure one of the two left LEDs shows a good network connection and the other shows that the cable card is working. No matter what both lights need to be green for everything to work.
So checking the address it uses and all that is good advice. The SD website should have FAQs and guides that will explain exactly what the lights do and how everything works and all that.
I know when one of my lights was off the network had come unplugged and I had to track that down.
Another thing that happened to mine is I bought a house and moved out of my old zip code and eventually my guide stopped updating and I missed a bunch of shows.
I had to redo the setup so Comcast knew where I really was and updated my subscriptions and location on the Prime.
Probably doesn't apply to your situation but might help others who have moved and a few weeks or months later the prime stops working and getting guide updates.
post #2385 of 2396 Old 04-17-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Wednesday night, Windows Media Center displayed an error message- I don't recall if it was exactly the same as yours. But I simply rebooted the PC, and all channels in WMC were restored.

There was a firmware update for the Prime released earlier this week. If you're still having problems, perhaps you might consider downloading it. After applying the update, you will need to rescan the channel line on the Prime UI and not WMC.

Or perhaps you should try a recan before attempting a f/w update.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #2386 of 2396 Old 04-18-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to go to the Comcast Center and get a new cable card. After the normal 30 to 90 minute waiting period to get it activated my unit seems to be working fairly well.

I'm still not getting any HBO or premium channels and there are still a few regular channels like the Big Ten network ndt my local Fox sports Detroit which I'm still getting the subscription required message.

I have done all the updating, rescanning and rebooting as well

Would it do any good to bring a technician out to my place? or is it something best suited to have the silicon dust people take a look at via their diagnostics questions and tools

Thoughts?

Last edited by billmich; 04-18-2015 at 01:16 PM.
post #2387 of 2396 Old 04-18-2015, 07:59 PM

If you're getting all the channels you should except subscription channels, then I would think that's a Comcast issue with the permissions assigned to the cablecard. I had extra channels in addition to my package when I first set up the HDHomerun, but they went away after a few days. You could call Comcast or give it a couple of days and see if the system gets updated to show the correct channels. Unless you're missing something on HBO or BigTen that you want to watch, personally I'd give it a couple of days because is HATE getting on the phone with Comcast. Other than maybe get the right person on the phone more quickly, I donut there's anything a technician can do that can't be done over the phone.
post #2388 of 2396 Old 04-20-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a ticket open with silicon dust, and i will see where we can go with that. I suspect I just need to get the correct person on the phone and hope for the best

I am not as concerned about HBO as I am the sports channels like FSN detroit (and plus) and the BTN
post #2389 of 2396 Old 04-20-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Silicondust just launched a Kickstarter Campaign for their upcoming HDHomeRun DVR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined
Gator99, staknhalo and dfkimbro like this.
post #2390 of 2396 Old 04-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by head1st View Post
Silicondust just launched a Kickstarter Campaign for their upcoming HDHomeRun DVR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined
That deserves its own thread
post #2391 of 2396 Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
That deserves its own thread
I'm going to make one now
Dartman likes this.

Last edited by dfkimbro; 04-20-2015 at 04:46 PM.
post #2392 of 2396 Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
I'm going to make one now

Link?
post #2393 of 2396 Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 141
That could be interesting!
post #2394 of 2396 Old 04-21-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Link?
HDHomeRun DVR software Kickstarter campaign
billmich, Dartman and georgeorwell like this.
post #2395 of 2396 Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks
post #2396 of 2396 Old 04-24-2015, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Pledged 60 bucks and commented on that thread, hope it happens and works like everyone thinks it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page