HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

Old 10-12-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 413
xbox 360s (and the other media center extenders) create remote log in sessions on the host htpc. they have the same interface your wmc pc has.

the 360 is nice because it has streaming services.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post
I need some help here. I am getting comcast and have a windows media center on main tv using ota silicon dust hd. I have ordered a prime and will use it with this tv.

Now what can I do about my other tv, can I use it with the prime?
I know the prime says its 3 tuners and I want to watch and record on the wmc and feed the other tv as well?

One person said get a used xbox 360 for $50 and use that on the other tv.
Is there something else that can be used besides the 360? Anything to do hd tv is fine.
does it work as is or do I have to do some hacks to get it to work?
is an xbox have a guide or anything like that?

any an all comments and info are very welcome never tried this before?
My story sounds the same as yours--had OTA silicon dust HD on one tv, but upgraded to prime about 4 years ago when the wife missed cable. I have two other tvs and only a normal cable jack in those rooms. So, i bought a 2 pack of Actiontec Ethernet to Coax MOCA adapters and 2 xbox 360s. I plugged in each adapter and in about 3 minutes I now had ethernet in each room. Plugged in each xbox, switched the xbox settings in the menu to load WMC when the xbox starts...and now when we turn on the tv and xbox it loads right to the WMC guide...nobody even knows it's a gaming machine running WMC. I record shows on any tv and watch them on any tv. It works amazing!

Two things to note: I have Verizon FIOS so the cable modem they provide has MOCA built in. Spend a few minutes researching this for your cable provider if you need ethernet by each tv. Second, I use Media Browser to play .mkvs of blue rays/dvds on my main HTPC. These don't stream very well at all on the xbox extenders and it has to do with the xbox tech, not the speed of your ethernet. We basically don't watch these ripped videos unless on the tv with the HTPC.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbaggins View Post
My story sounds the same as yours--had OTA silicon dust HD on one tv, but upgraded to prime about 4 years ago when the wife missed cable. I have two other tvs and only a normal cable jack in those rooms. So, i bought a 2 pack of Actiontec Ethernet to Coax MOCA adapters and 2 xbox 360s. I plugged in each adapter and in about 3 minutes I now had ethernet in each room. Plugged in each xbox, switched the xbox settings in the menu to load WMC when the xbox starts...and now when we turn on the tv and xbox it loads right to the WMC guide...nobody even knows it's a gaming machine running WMC. I record shows on any tv and watch them on any tv. It works amazing!

Two things to note: I have Verizon FIOS so the cable modem they provide has MOCA built in. Spend a few minutes researching this for your cable provider if you need ethernet by each tv. Second, I use Media Browser to play .mkvs of blue rays/dvds on my main HTPC. These don't stream very well at all on the xbox extenders and it has to do with the xbox tech, not the speed of your ethernet. We basically don't watch these ripped videos unless on the tv with the HTPC.
I found 2 xbox's for about $40 but they are called the slim and only have 4GB of memory, and no hard drive.
will this run media center?
I only want to watch tv not record anything on this unit.

ps can you setup the prime with 2 tuners going to the wmc and one to the xbox, in a dedicated format or does it matter?
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I found 2 xbox's for about $40 but they are called the slim and only have 4GB of memory, and no hard drive.

ps can you setup the prime with 2 tuners going to the wmc and one to the xbox, in a dedicated format or does it matter?
The full functionality of an extender is driven by the PC running WMC. The harddrive in the 360 doesn't play any role.

Your PC running WMC must be powered on and setup, that's the only real requirement.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Tuners are allocated dynamically. No need to attempt to make them dedicated. I'd jump on those Xboxes and get a couple of cheap universals remotes to go with them ($3 and up on eBay).
Old 10-12-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Xbox is the way to go. I had the Ceton Echo, but it was so slow and buggy, I returned it to Amazon.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

well if the hd makes no difference I will get one of the memory only models.
friend of mine said he saw several on fleabay for $40 tested and seller was 1000 positive.

I also got in the closet digging around and found my raspberry pi. I only messed with it a little but it has xbmc on it.
If it can connect to the prime over the network maybe?
I will give that a try as well.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My Raspberry PI works fine with my Prime. I have not used it much yet but it seems to work OK. There is an add on for the HD Prime with the KODI (XBMC) software running on the PI.

Mike
Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:

Yup, and that's very cheap for those. I would not sell mine for $40 a piece.

No, you cannot dedicate tuners to the XBOX, because technically the tuners are not connected to the XBOX. They are connected to the HTPC, and the XBOX is essentially running as a remote desktop off of that.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post
My Raspberry PI works fine with my Prime. I have not used it much yet but it seems to work OK. There is an add on for the HD Prime with the KODI (XBMC) software running on the PI.

Mike
Same here...

Raspberry just offers (For me) more flexibility, plus it's hidden behind TV.

Also use an analog audio splitter in the back to distribute to other receivers for whole-house music.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Received an email request from SD to complete a survey. Questions centered on live tv viewing habits, including channel surfing, grid reliance, interest in sports and how long recordings are retained after viewing. Seems to me SD is interested in requirements from those looking to replace WMC.
psuKinger likes this.

Last edited by bmcn; 10-14-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

HD Prime with the KODI.
Hey some other options I will give this a try too.
I have a first gen PI and it seemed to work ok when I first tried it, that was when the PI was first released.

I saw on their site where they were talking about a pvr and such but they didn't go into detail about guide options or where they would be coming from.

I good new replacement for WMC would be great since Microshaft is working with comcast and at&t to remove all options from their very cheap and fairly priced hardware they rent. ( can you say sarcasm )

on the xbox slim you can buy them new from microshaft with free game for $150 and on ebay they are selling anywhere from $70 to $129. I can't believe a 5 year old used console sells almost as much as a new one.

Last edited by etrin; 10-14-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey thinking about picking this up on Friday while I don't have cable tv again yet I had some questions as far as setup.. my understanding is it plugs into my network and WMC finds the Prime.. What I'm curious about is two other computers and using WMC on it via wireless is the feed SD or HD? And how is the setup for that?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post
Hey thinking about picking this up on Friday while I don't have cable tv again yet I had some questions as far as setup.. my understanding is it plugs into my network and WMC finds the Prime.. What I'm curious about is two other computers and using WMC on it via wireless is the feed SD or HD? And how is the setup for that?
Not quite as simple as plug and play, but relatively easy. SD has an application that you install on your HTPC and you then initiate a scan of all available channels. After the scan WMC will display all 972 channels your subscribe to; to unclutter your EPG, disable in WMC the 920 you don't watch. Takes approximately 30 minutes for the scan and another 10-15 to disable the unwanted channels.

You'll need an extender to watch content recorded by the WMC-HTPC for each additional monitor. If you use powerline or MOCA to connect the extenders to your HTPC you'll have fewer headaches than with wifi.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that's what I'm confused about the extender each computer would need one? I'm confused because it seems like it says the host computer needs to have the extender on it So I assume the setup is like this..

Router > SD Prime > HTPC > 2nd monitor > extender with the extender connected wired to the same router?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now that's what I'm confused about the extender each computer would need one? I'm confused because it seems like it says the host computer needs to have the extender on it So I assume the setup is like this..

Router > SD Prime > HTPC > 2nd monitor > extender with the extender connected wired to the same router?
No, only the two secondary monitors need extenders. With this setup one doesn't need computers at the secondary monitors. If you wish to attempt to share content among three computers and three copies of WMC, that's a different kettle.

You might consider using a switch between Prime and HTPC to keep recording traffic off the router.

Last edited by bmcn; 10-25-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Computers don't need extenders. Only TVs do (if they're not connected directly to a computer). Extenders are a cheap way to have WMC on a TV, no computer (except your main one) required. Every extender, computer and the Prime need to be wired to your LAN somehow. Whether that's your router, a switch, Moca, DECA or powerline is up to you and how your house is wired.

There are only a few extenders on the market (new or used): Xbox360, Ceton Echo (discontinued), Linksys (discontinued), D-link (discontinued) and a few others. Xbox is the most versatile, and used ones are very cheap.

In any case, it sounds like you already have a dedicated PC at every TV. So you don't need any extenders at all, and probably no new networking except a better router. You just can't share copy protected recordings among them like you could if you used extenders instead.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

OK looks like I will go with the switch and looks like only my room will just be connected to viewing other than the main HTPC because the other bedroom is too far to try to wire with a cable
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
OK looks like I will go with the switch and looks like only my room will just be connected to viewing other than the main HTPC because the other bedroom is too far to try to wire with a cable
That bedroom doesn't even have coax or power? Surely you could use powerline ethernet. All my upstairs rooms only have coax, so I used DECA to get ethernet to all of them for all my wired extenders.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That bedroom doesn't even have coax or power? Surely you could use powerline ethernet. All my upstairs rooms only have coax, so I used DECA to get ethernet to all of them for all my wired extenders.
If I remember the circuit is split between two breakers between the two bedrooms and it has coax to the room but for cable tv.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
... it has coax to the room but for cable tv.
Not a problem. That's exactly why Moca was invented, to carry ethernet and cable tv signals on the same wire. Just get a pair of Moca adapters.

But I'm a bit puzzled why you still need cable tv up there. You only need cable tv going to your main tuner (Prime) and modem. Nothing else in the house needs it any more. So if you re-purpose the coax for ethernet only, you can use a cheap pair of DECAs ($18) instead of Mocas ($90).

In my house, I bring the feed from the cable company to my cable modem and my DVR (Prime in your case). The rest of my coax network is exclusively ethernet via DECA, serving several Minis (extenders in your case), routers, switches and PCs.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
No, only the two secondary monitors need extenders. With this setup one doesn't need computers at the secondary monitors. If you wish to attempt to share content among three computers and three copies of WMC, that's a different kettle.

You might consider using a switch between Prime and HTPC to keep recording traffic off the router.
Quote:
Computers don't need extenders. Only TVs do (if they're not connected directly to a computer). Extenders are a cheap way to have WMC on a TV, no computer (except your main one) required. Every extender, computer and the Prime need to be wired to your LAN somehow. Whether that's your router, a switch, Moca, DECA or powerline is up to you and how your house is wired.

There are only a few extenders on the market (new or used): Xbox360, Ceton Echo (discontinued), Linksys (discontinued), D-link (discontinued) and a few others. Xbox is the most versatile, and used ones are very cheap.

In any case, it sounds like you already have a dedicated PC at every TV. So you don't need any extenders at all, and probably no new networking except a better router. You just can't share copy protected recordings among them like you could if you used extenders instead.
Quote:
Not a problem. That's exactly why Moca was invented, to carry ethernet and cable tv signals on the same wire. Just get a pair of Moca adapters.

But I'm a bit puzzled why you still need cable tv up there. You only need cable tv going to your main tuner (Prime) and modem. Nothing else in the house needs it any more. So if you re-purpose the coax for ethernet only, you can use a cheap pair of DECAs ($18) instead of Mocas ($90).

In my house, I bring the feed from the cable company to my cable modem and my DVR (Prime in your case). The rest of my coax network is exclusively ethernet via DECA, serving several Minis (extenders in your case), routers, switches and PCs.

it's not I but family members that don't get it but I've given her about 6 months in WMC and she's used to it so the move over to it should be pretty smooth.. the whole DVR switch was funny but now she knows she can sleep and have her shows recorded and watch it later made up for all the how to learn to use it.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So someone help me understand how to get eathernet over coax in what would it be connected to on the receiving end a moca adapter?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethe...rnet+over+coax

Shop around, you may be able to do better, I just found a quick example.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
So someone help me understand how to get eathernet over coax in what would it be connected to on the receiving end a moca adapter?
Ethernet plugs into MoCA adapter to convert to coax. Plug the other end of the coax into another MoCA adapter to provide an Ethernet connection at the other end.

Ethernet>MoCA>coax>MoCA>Ethernet

Data transfer speeds are OK, but not blazing fast.

I've got a set of three ChannelMaster MoCA adapters I can sell you cheap, if you want them. Two are model CM-6001 and one is model CM-6004. The CM-6004 also serves as a 4-port switch. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by dfkimbro; 10-31-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Ethernet plugs into MoCA adapter to convert to coax. Plug the other end of the coax into another MoCA adapter to provide an Ethernet connection at the other end.

Ethernet>MoCA>coax>MoCA>Ethernet

Data transfer speeds are OK, but not blazing fast.

I've got a set of three ChannelMaster MoCA adapters I can sell you cheap, if you want them. Two are model CM-6001 and one is model CM-6004. The CM-6004 also serves as a 4-port switch. PM me if you're interested.

Ah.. well as of right now no real standalone extenders anymore right besides the Xbox? I think here someone said the Echo was slow? I really don't want a clunky xbox.. I can already see now I think I'm going to have to buy a second Prime
Old 10-31-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My Echoes were never slow.
bmcn likes this.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I don't know if I did a good thing or not.. just won the acution for a Cisco-Linksys DMA2100 extender for $56

Reason why I got it was the user in the other room is using a 40" TV so my plan here is to still use MoCA setup which I assume will get me HD and not SD because I'm using wired?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Should work fine. Only drawback is Linksys won't wake your host PC. Echo and Xbox will. And Xbox will also do Netflix and other streaming.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Should work fine. Only drawback is Linksys won't wake your host PC. Echo and Xbox will. And Xbox will also do Netflix and other streaming.
My system is set to never go to sleep so that wont be an issue.. Also I'm thinking about getting the Direct TV DECA adapters instead of the MoCA part for the lower cost of getting a pair one thing is I don't know how well it will work with my current 3-way splitter.

She wont need those streaming options as the TV can do that or the PS3/4 can as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement