HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #2611 of 2761 Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I have a XPS 8900 and a older HP m9300t WMC computers. I took the cable card out of the HP and used it for the XPS which it now resides. Homerun Prime is running on the XPS 8900 and a H 2350 on the HP 93000t.
I was running the HP and the automatic WMC play ready stated to you want to install the cable card? I said yes and all my cannels came up on the HP. (XPS Windows 8.1 pro WMC and the HP Windows 7).
Is this normal? I don't have to use a cable card on my HP, just a cable card on the XPS?

Last edited by 6athome; 05-31-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2761 Old 05-31-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
It works fine with encrypted cable card content. Extenders are hit or miss and Xbox only. It didn't work at first, so perhaps you just read some old info.
So, as far as watching/recording cableCARD TV from Comcast the WMC app(or hack) for Win 10 works just fine? And you're right, I haven't kept abreast of recent developments as no CC content meant it was of no use to me but if it works now then that's great.

And where, exactly, would I get the details? Thanks!
post #2613 of 2761 Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
So, as far as watching/recording cableCARD TV from Comcast the WMC app(or hack) for Win 10 works just fine?
That's my understanding. I haven't tried it myself.
Quote:
And you're right, I haven't kept abreast of recent developments as no CC content meant it was of no use to me but if it works now then that's great.

And where, exactly, would I get the details? Thanks!
This should have all the details:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...e-alternatives

post #2614 of 2761 Old 05-31-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
That's my understanding. I haven't tried it myself.
This should have all the details:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...e-alternatives
Thanks, I found that thread and just trying to figure out all the files and installs that need to be done and I'll be giving it a try. Long thread, trying to get to the relevant info.
post #2615 of 2761 Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
I have a XPS 8900 and a older HP m9300t WMC computers. I took the cable card out of the HP and used it for the XPS which it now resides. Homerun Prime is running on the XPS 8900 and a H 2350 on the HP 93000t.
I was running the HP and the automatic WMC play ready stated to you want to install the cable card? I said yes and all my cannels came up on the HP. (XPS Windows 8.1 pro WMC and the HP Windows 7).
Is this normal? I don't have to use a cable card on my HP, just a cable card on the XPS?
Not sure I understand your question here. The CableCard is paired with the HDHR Prime, not the PCs. Once you have it paired then all you need to do is install the HDHR software on the PCs and go through the WMC setup. It will see the tuners and allow both PCs to use them. You shouldn't have to do anything with the CableCard, the HDHR software makes WMC think the tuners are local to that system even though they are shared over the network.
post #2616 of 2761 Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
Not sure I understand your question here. The CableCard is paired with the HDHR Prime, not the PCs. Once you have it paired then all you need to do is install the HDHR software on the PCs and go through the WMC setup. It will see the tuners and allow both PCs to use them. You shouldn't have to do anything with the CableCard, the HDHR software makes WMC think the tuners are local to that system even though they are shared over the network.
I think he has two external tuners, the 2350 and the Prime, and only 1 cable card. He removed the cable card from one and ran WMC setup on the associated PC. But during setup, he indicated that he still had a cable card installed in that tuner even though he had removed it. His channel list apparently worked in spite of this. His question, I think, is should he leave it alone or should he run setup again and choose the no cable card option. I don't know the answer because I've never run a cable card tuner without a cable card. If I did that on my cable system, I couldn't tune any channels at all.
post #2617 of 2761 Old 06-02-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think he has two external tuners, the 2350 and the Prime, and only 1 cable card. He removed the cable card from one and ran WMC setup on the associated PC. But during setup, he indicated that he still had a cable card installed in that tuner even though he had removed it. His channel list apparently worked in spite of this. His question, I think, is should he leave it alone or should he run setup again and choose the no cable card option. I don't know the answer because I've never run a cable card tuner without a cable card. If I did that on my cable system, I couldn't tune any channels at all.
Maybe this will make clear my question. I had been using my HP HTPC for years with 2350 tuner..
I decided to buy a XPS 8900 as my last HTPC with a Home run prime. The HP runs Windows 7 and the XPS runs Windows 8.1 pro WMC.
I pulled the cable card from my HP with the 2350 and installed it into the XPS Home Run Prime.
I didn't use the HP for months. One night I wanted to watch movies, I recorded on my HP, booted it up into WMC and the notice do you want to install a cable card appeared? I said yes and it install all of my TV channels without having a cable card in my 2350.
The question is, does the Home Run Prime enable all PC's in my network to show the cable card channels(HBO) if they have WMC?
post #2618 of 2761 Old 06-02-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
The question is, does the Home Run Prime enable all PC's in my network to show the cable card channels(HBO) if they have WMC?
Yes. And not only that, but also your Android devices (easy) and Apple devices (not quite as easy) and any DLNA devices you have - although as far as I know only the PS3 can display protected channels through DLNA.

I don't have any HTPCs anymore. I use NVidia Shields in my living rooms, and Nexus Players in my bedrooms.

Windows 10 can be used by hacking WMC into the OS, or through the HDHR View app.
post #2619 of 2761 Old 06-02-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Yes. And not only that, but also your Android devices (easy) and Apple devices (not quite as easy) and any DLNA devices you have - although as far as I know only the PS3 can display protected channels through DLNA.

I don't have any HTPCs anymore. I use NVidia Shields in my living rooms, and Nexus Players in my bedrooms.

Windows 10 can be used by hacking WMC into the OS, or through the HDHR View app.
Thanks! I'm glad I found the HDHR when I did and a little sorry it wasn't sooner!
post #2620 of 2761 Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HD config question

Does any know if HD config is showing the signal at the origin of the coax, or what the network is outputting once the data reaches the computer.

I use an iView also, which is just coax...no problems at all. Cheapy box $30 1 tuner...but so far...never fails to work.

Also streaming TV station from websites no issues, I also have a Slingbox which uses the network, never any issues.

ONLY HD Prime has "signal" issues on occasion...pixelation, station loss etc..everyone seems to run into this problem.
Also after a while, instead of showing QUAM numbers it shows "Auto:56" or whatever number, and the channel doesn't work at all.
Only way to fix it was reinstall software.
post #2621 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is the signal at the tuner from the coax.

Are you sure the problem is at the tuner, or is it at the network? Wifi will cause this unless you have a perfect signal. Also, I found that the Intel V series NICs will pixellate.

Everyone doesn't have this problem, as I don't have it ever since I realized the V series chip on my main HTPC was the problem. I put a Realtek in the box and it fixed it.
post #2622 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 2322
Quote:
...Also, I found that the Intel V series NICs will pixellate.

Everyone doesn't have this problem, as I don't have it ever since I realized the V series chip on my main HTPC was the problem. I put a Realtek in the box and it fixed it.
Interesting. Occasionally i see blocking, usually when viewing flying graphics, but always believed it to be a source problem. HTPC has Intel mb with integrated V nic.

Last edited by bmcn; 06-08-2016 at 09:16 AM.
post #2623 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Interesting. Occasionally i see blocking, usually when viewing flying graphics, but always believed it to be a source problem. HTPC has Intel mb with integrated V nic.
There you go. Specifically, mine has the Intel 82579V chip.

Here's an OLD thread where the problem was identified, Intel acknowledged it, but a solution was never released. I chime in on page 3.

UNHAPPY - HD HomeRun Prime major issues with Intel DH67CF & DH67GD motherboard NICs
bmcn likes this.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 06-08-2016 at 09:41 AM.
post #2624 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There you go. Specifically, mine has the Intel 82579V chip.

Here's an OLD thread where the problem was identified, Intel acknowledged it, but a solution was never released. I chime in on page 3.

UNHAPPY - HD HomeRun Prime major issues with Intel DH67CF & DH67GD motherboard NICs
82579v same chip. After adding video card, no room in case for another card. Thanks.

edit: interesting I never see the same on an inferior monitor running on an extender.

Last edited by bmcn; 06-08-2016 at 10:30 AM.
post #2625 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your processor doesn't have onboard GPU?

How about a USB NIC? There are some pretty cheap ones out there.

Another thing, you can try the settings in the old thread to see if they work for you, but they did not help in my case. Some of the things off the top of my head are: try 100mbps, turn off energy efficient ethernet and any green settings.
post #2626 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your processor doesn't have onboard GPU?

How about a USB NIC? There are some pretty cheap ones out there.
Another thing, you can try the settings in the old thread to see if they work for you, but they did not help in my case. Some of the things off the top of my head are: try 100mbps, turn off energy efficient ethernet and any green settings.
I found the nVidia vc to be better than the onboard GPU. Reading the old thread now. It occurs infrequently, so I might have let it be until the next dvr turn.

Last edited by bmcn; 06-08-2016 at 10:46 AM.
post #2627 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I found the nVidia vc to be better than the onboard GPU. Reading the old thread now. It occurs infrequently, so I might have let it be until the next dvr turn.
It wasn't infrequent for me. It was very irritating. I recently pulled the Realtek card from the PC and did all the updates (including BIOS) and confirmed the problem still exists.
post #2628 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It wasn't infrequent for me. It was very irritating. I recently pulled the Realtek card from the PC and did all the updates (including BIOS) and confirmed the problem still exists.
Lots of variables, including the hard drive's speed. Disabled Energy efficient ethernet per your suggestion; the other green option, System idle power saver, was already disabled.

Fortunately for me it's confined to certain 'flying' graphics during sports telecasts; haven't spotted it lately. Thanks again.

edit: In another mystery, for the 4 years this board's been in service I've never found the right combination of nic and Harmony 1 options for the HTPC to consistently sleep/waken.

Last edited by bmcn; 06-08-2016 at 11:04 AM.
post #2629 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Lots of variables, including the hard drive's speed. Disabled Energy efficient ethernet per your suggestion; the other green option, System idle power saver, was already disabled.

Fortunately for me it's confined to certain 'flying' graphics during sports telecasts; haven't spotted it lately. Thanks again.
I only have an SSD in this PC. Hard drive speed isn't the issue. I tried the other settings with no results. It's the ethernet chipset, and Intel confirmed the problem.

This PC is an old i3 2100 (SandyBridge) and the GPU is plenty powerful for HTPC duties.
post #2630 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I only have an SSD in this PC. Hard drive speed isn't the issue. I tried the other settings with no results. It's the ethernet chipset, and Intel confirmed the problem.

This PC is an old i3 2100 (SandyBridge) and the GPU is plenty powerful for HTPC duties.
So you record to the ssd? Tried 2 Sandy Bridge CPU's and the GPU issue for me was their inconsistency maintaining the selected color space setting. Both nVidia and AMD vcs had no problem with this.

HTPC w/vc was used to calibrate the monitor, so there's no going back now.

Last edited by bmcn; 06-08-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #2631 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I've been trying out the Win 10 HDHR DVR app on a new Win 10 machine and I was wondering where the recording directory/folder was located. I did a search for the shows/files I recorded but came up with nothing. I suspect it's in a hidden folder maybe? Anyone have any ideas or am I headed off to the SD forum?

Thanks

(P.S. Didn't mean to butt into the video problem discussion BTW)
post #2632 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you record to the ssd?
I did. In the old days I used the WHS 2011 tool to move them from the SSD to the server upon completion. Then later, I used MCEBuddy to move them. Now, this HTPC is my office PC that I am typing this on right now as we speak. I now record on a W7 machine in a VM on the server in my closet and view on Android devices (Shield, Nexus Player).

The problem will affect both live playback and recordings. I was able to show that the recordings had the pixelation within them, it wasn't a playback problem of the recording, the problem was recorded into the recording.
bmcn likes this.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 06-08-2016 at 11:12 AM.
post #2633 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been trying out the Win 10...
Noticed an intermittent on screen flashing during the telecasts of both finals games from Oracle, primarily from the center court camera halfway up the stands. The 'point of light' occurs one at a time at different screen locations. My guess is that camera is reacting to selfies taken in the crowd, or strobes in the arena. Haven't seen it with any of the handheld sideline camera shots, although it was visible during game 2's intro when the 3 announcers were standing on court. ABC ota, with a solid signal, is the source.

Have you observed this?
post #2634 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
Quote:
I've been trying out the Win 10 HDHR DVR app on a new Win 10 machine and I was wondering where the recording directory/folder was located. I did a search for the shows/files I recorded but came up with nothing. I suspect it's in a hidden folder maybe? Anyone have any ideas or am I headed off to the SD forum?
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...=20619#p127194
Quote:
Windows:
The default directory for recordings is:
%PUBLIC%\Recorded TV\HDHomeRun\

To change this directory use regedit to modify the registry:
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\ DVR
Name: RecordPath
Type: String
Value: <full path to desired directory for recordings>

After specifying or changing the RecordPath you will need to reboot the PC (or stop and restart the HDHomeRun RECORD service).

WARNING: do not run the RECORD service on Windows with RecordPath set to a shared network folder provided by another system. Doing so will appear to work but Windows has a resource limit relating to tracking sub-directories on network shares and it will fail in subtle ways once this threshold is reached.
Be sure to do the loopback fix if you plan on using the Win10 View app on the same Win10 machine you are using for recording.
See: https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...=29732#p172574
post #2635 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Noticed an intermittent on screen flashing during the telecasts of both finals games from Oracle, primarily from the center court camera halfway up the stands. The 'point of light' occurs one at a time at different screen locations. My guess is that camera is reacting to selfies taken in the crowd, or strobes in the arena. Haven't seen it with any of the handheld sideline camera shots, although it was visible during game 2's intro when the 3 announcers were standing on court. ABC ota, with a solid signal, is the source.

Have you observed this?
No, I can't say that I recall seeing anything like that though that's not to say it hasn't happened.
bmcn likes this.
post #2636 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also, I found that the Intel V series NICs will pixellate.
That's interesting. I have dual intel NICs on my Z87 Extreme6 mobo. One is a I217-V and the other is a I211-AT. I'm only using one of them and just by chance it's the I217-V. I haven't noticed any pixellation issues but once in a while when I edit a video with VideoReDo I get a bunch of errors. Do you think swapping the cable over to the I211-AT will make any difference?
post #2637 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...=20619#p127194

Be sure to do the loopback fix if you plan on using the Win10 View app on the same Win10 machine you are using for recording.
See: https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...=29732#p172574
Just did the loopback fix but no change. Searched that string in the Explorer bar and came up with nothing.

Also, yesterday I had a record button and DVR functions and access to the recordings. Today I have none of that, just the basic View app, no record button and no "hamburger" access to the recordings and record settings. Uninstalled and re-installed and no change. Worked yesterday(was actually warming up to it, even with the guide the way it is) and now today it doesn't work. I posted a few times in the SD forum and waiting for some feedback but if I can get answers here ever better.
post #2638 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That's interesting. I have dual intel NICs on my Z87 Extreme6 mobo. One is a I217-V and the other is a I211-AT. I'm only using one of them and just by chance it's the I217-V. I haven't noticed any pixellation issues but once in a while when I edit a video with VideoReDo I get a bunch of errors. Do you think swapping the cable over to the I211-AT will make any difference?
It may not be a problem on newer V series. I haven't bought a new motherboard (other than my server's board) in years. I don't know anything about VideoReDo. But, you might look through the old thread and try some of the changes we did while troubleshooting such as turning off EEE and Green.

All the NICs in my server are pro-level NICs, I did not want to go through that mess again. For ages I thought I had an issue with the Prime.
post #2639 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just did the loopback fix but no change. Searched that string in the Explorer bar and came up with nothing.
Did you install as administrator or regular user? I heard installing as administrator messes up some permissions somewhere.
post #2640 of 2761 Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did not want to go through that mess again.
I don't really want to open a can of worms either. I have two Primes and two Connects and they seem to be working fine other than the occasional errors being reported when editing recordings. There are no defects noticeable on screen so I think I'll leave it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
hdhomerun bluray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page