HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
You can use a Win7 PC for recording.

There are still things to finish before it will be acceptable for most people. The biggest things DRM and the ability to pause live tv. It is also doesn't have a progress bar when watching recordings, and if you stop watching a recording you can't start playing it again where you previously stopped watching it yet.

I have moved most of my recording schedule from WMC over to the HDHR DVR but I still use WMC for some things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
You don't have to use the DVR app for playback. I use Plex or Kodi.
I finally had a chance to play around with this and I have a few questions.

Win 10,
The HDHR DVR app seems to work fine on Win 10, I can watch and record everything except DRM'ed channels(just the premiums on my Comcast system) which is to be expected. My questions are, is there a way to have the guide show just the channels I want or do I have to have all of them? And what are the transport commands for keyboard/mouse when watching live and recorded? And are there any tricks to using the Discover feature other than using the search box and/or just scrolling through all the plates/banners, can the display manner be changed, alphabetized for example?

Win 7,
Also, I don't see any DVR functions/buttons when launching the HDHR View app on the Win 7 machine, I'm guessing I'll need a third party app like Kodi or Plex to initiate recordings on that machine?

I realize I can find answers for these questions at the SD forum but sometimes you have to really search and drill down through threads to find them, I figured here might get quicker results.

Thanks

Last edited by Keenan; 06-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Win 10,
My questions are, is there a way to have the guide show just the channels I want or do I have to have all of them?
You can disable individual channels in channel lineup section of the tuner's webpage. Click the star once to make it a favorite channel, click it again to disable. This does not have any affect on WMC.

Quote:
And what are the transport commands for keyboard/mouse when watching live and recorded?
There is no pause/rewind/ffwd in live TV yet. You can use the arrow right/left keys to skip forward 30 seconds and 10 seconds back. Use the up arrow to skip forward 10 minutes and the down arrow for 10 minutes back.

Quote:
And are there any tricks to using the Discover feature other than using the search box and/or just scrolling through all the plates/banners, can the display manner be changed, alphabetized for example?
The only thing you can do is hide programs you aren't interested in. Once you hide a program it won't show up in discovery again. You can do a search for .hidden (the dot is not a typo). That will show you the programs that are in the current guide listings that you have hidden so you can un-hide them if you change your mind.

Quote:
Win 7,
Also, I don't see any DVR functions/buttons when launching the HDHR View app on the Win 7 machine, I'm guessing I'll need a third party app like Kodi or Plex to initiate recordings on that machine?
We need to use Kodi with the HDHomeRun add-on to access the DVR on Win7 PCs.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 402
fyi:

Your tuner's homepage is myhdhomerun.com
Old 06-19-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Great, thanks guys!
Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Maybe it's just the time warner customers under the new charter (spectrum) name that didn't have DRM stripped from the regular channels then cause there has been no change in mine.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Maybe it's just the time warner customers under the new charter (spectrum) name that didn't have DRM stripped from the regular channels then cause there has been no change in mine.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here.. I'm on Charter and have been for years. I have DRM on all the Premium Channels (except an odd collection of just a few) but not really on the tier 1 or tier 2 Extra Channels..

Old 06-20-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here.. I'm on Charter and have been for years. I have DRM on all the Premium Channels (except an odd collection of just a few) but not really on the tier 1 or tier 2 Extra Channels..
They haven't merged yet. Even when they do, it will probably be quite a while before anything changes. So I wouldn't expect Charter and TWC to have the same DRM'd channels.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
They haven't merged yet. Even when they do, it will probably be quite a while before anything changes. So I wouldn't expect Charter and TWC to have the same DRM'd channels.
They technically have closed on the merger, but yes, integration hasn't been done yet and probably won't be for a long time.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
They technically have closed on the merger, but yes, integration hasn't been done yet and probably won't be for a long time.
I believe that I read the target is 4th qtr 2017. So assuming everything works out, in 2018 all Charter, TWC, and Brighthouse users will merge to a common system (channels, packages, pricing).
btinindy likes this.

Last edited by Krispy Kritter; 06-22-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
I believe that I read the target is 4th qtr 2017. So assuming everything works out, in 2018 all Charter, TWC, and Brighthouse users will merge to a common system (channels, packages, pricing).

This is what I was wondering about. So I have to wait till 2018 before I find out if they remove DRM on half my channels huh?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 116
The View app is running native on 2016 Samsung TVs. This a full featured version of Homerun View.

If it finds the DVR on the local network it enables the DRV Gui features. It supports DRM channels. I am able to view all my Comcast channels as well as OTA from my Extend. Nice thing is the you only have the TV's internal upscaling so you get a nice image, no double scaling.. It isn't working on 2015 Samsungs but those models are rumored to get the new version of Samsung's Tizen TV OS in the fall, so the View will likely run on the 2015s at that point.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need 32" TV that will work as native as possible with Prime

I have a specific use case where I'm trying to set up two 32" 1080p Tvs in the same room. I'd like to stream to them (different streams) from a single HDHomeRunPrime, over ethernet, but I'd like to avoid having to add any extra boxes to the TV, if possible, to keep the costs down (don't want to spend another $200 on Nvidia shields), so would like something native to the TV (or as close as I can get with DLNA support on the TVs).

I know the 2016 Samsungs are supposed to support this out of the box (though it's broken, currently), but not sure if there's a 32" model in the lineup, yet (or if the software will be ported back to the 2015 models). I don't need DVR, just live TV streams using a CableCard. There are no coax connections where the TVs are going, only ethernet jacks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DH
Old 08-09-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The Samsungs are the only TVs with it built in for now that I know of.

Is your requirement for encrypted or non-encrypted content?

If it is non-encrypted, then a couple of old PCs with OpenELEC (or similar) will do the trick. These can be seriously low-end machines, like you'd normally throw out in the trash.

Or, how about some used or cheap Amazon Fire TV Sticks? They are seriously slow and may have interlacing issues, but they sure are cheap.

For a while you could get the Nexus Player for $50, but they are long gone. Anything that's 1080i doesn't look as good as the Shield, but they would probably work on your 32". In fact, I was out working in my RV last night and was watching a Nexus Player on my 32" while I worked.

The Shields come up cheap sometimes. I just jumped in on the $159 with two controllers sale, and sold the two controllers for $80. Total cost $79.

EDIT:
Another option, if non-encrypted, is DLNA. Anything that supports DLNA (Game machine, TV, etc.) can play from the Prime. If it is encrypted, you'll need a PS3 or one of the supported DLNA devices. I forget the acronym they use for that...
Old 08-09-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How about one of the new Android TV, Sony or others?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jeff
Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The Samsungs are the only TVs with it built in for now that I know of.

Is your requirement for encrypted or non-encrypted content?

If it is non-encrypted, then a couple of old PCs with OpenELEC (or similar) will do the trick. These can be seriously low-end machines, like you'd normally throw out in the trash.

Or, how about some used or cheap Amazon Fire TV Sticks? They are seriously slow and may have interlacing issues, but they sure are cheap.

For a while you could get the Nexus Player for $50, but they are long gone. Anything that's 1080i doesn't look as good as the Shield, but they would probably work on your 32". In fact, I was out working in my RV last night and was watching a Nexus Player on my 32" while I worked.

The Shields come up cheap sometimes. I just jumped in on the $159 with two controllers sale, and sold the two controllers for $80. Total cost $79.

EDIT:
Another option, if non-encrypted, is DLNA. Anything that supports DLNA (Game machine, TV, etc.) can play from the Prime. If it is encrypted, you'll need a PS3 or one of the supported DLNA devices. I forget the acronym they use for that...
When was that sale and how did I miss it?

Old 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
When was that sale and how did I miss it?
July 12, during Prime Days on Amazon. Not sure how you missed it though. I should have bought two, I really wish I would have.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 908
For a Nexus, check out the FS forum at TGB. Somebody had one listed there fairly cheap not long ago.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
July 12, during Prime Days on Amazon. Not sure how you missed it though.
They sold out fast. I tried to buy one but they said it was 100% claimed.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Is there a way to display your recordings in a list style rather than those big show cards? And I'm assuming it's something being worked on when you delete a show and then have to click on Recorded again to see your recorded list? Once you delete something it should go right back to the Recorded show listings. Are there some commands I'm missing?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
July 12, during Prime Days on Amazon. Not sure how you missed it though. I should have bought two, I really wish I would have.
Dammit! I was totally focused on getting stuff for (finally) putting lights and proper electrical receptacles in my garage! I did score on a 100 amp Seimans Copper Buss Subpanel though.. I don't think I saw the Shield in the hot deals.. Guess I'll have to wait until Black Friday and Cyber Monday weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
They sold out fast. I tried to buy one but they said it was 100% claimed.
That's probably WHY I didn't see it.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I kind of expect to see some damn good deals this Christmas on them. It's been long enough now that we should see a price drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement