HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2701 of 2703 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Windows Media Center is still very much alive and in fact has become inexpensive to implement. There is a plethora of off lease Win 7 machines out there starting at a hundred dollars or so.
Sammy2 likes this.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 🔥🔥🔥
Sponsored Links
post #2702 of 2703 Old Today, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Originally Posted by capt.Atari View Post
Windows 7 entered it's extended support period on January 13 2015 and that will end January 14 2020. During this period you only get security updates. Windows 8 will enter its Extended Support in 2018. I never said that devices running would suddenly stop working. I did say that using WMC on Windows 10 could be risky because future updates on that platform could break it. Forget all that my real concern is that for full operation we are temporarily left with an orphaned Microsoft solution while we are waiting for new software from SD. It would be nice to fire up a Linux solution with DRM support of course I don't think that's possible with Myth-TV.
It isn't orphaned yet, in fact you detailed the schedule before you said it was orphaned.

Since we can wait until 01/14/2020 for SD to complete their work, I'm not worried about it. And even then, it just means no updates to W7, I don't care I will just keep using it, if there isn't a better solution out at that time.

I am not going to attempt to put WMC on W10.
bmcn likes this.
post #2703 of 2703 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I basically don't do updates now as it is except for MSE. I'll cross that bridge when I get there if they stop providing those but I seriously doubt they will because it is on Win8 and Win10 (as Defender, I believe). In the past couple of years I've had a few MicroSoft Updates roll my way that ended up costing me time to roll out of (Concurrent RDP and GWX come to mind) so I'm not really very concerned about it.

Sponsored Links
Reply Home Theater Computers