HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #2761 of 2776 Old 02-04-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 777
For basically the same reasons (crappy extenders) I replaced my WMC/Xbox setup with a Tivo Roamio + Minis and never looked back. 95% or more of what WMC can do and some that it can't, with a much better experience for the wife since it also includes the Xfinity on demand that she likes.

I had no issues with the Prime but major issues with the whole extender experience. And I didn't want the drawbacks that come with running multiple SFF PCs instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2776 Old 06-27-2017, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nearly 6 month and no new post? I see nothing note-worthy happening at SD....pity.

I'm keeping my Primes on version 20150826 for fear of losing stability.

Media Computer Specs
ASUS H87M-E LGA 1150....Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell....Intel Network Adapter....8GB DDR3 SDRAM....Windows 7 x64.....Plex....Drobo 5N....Drobo Gen2
post #2763 of 2776 Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post
Nearly 6 month and no new post? I see nothing note-worthy happening at SD....pity.
They are keeping busy working on the DVR software. The only new hardware they have is a new Prime device. It's pretty much the same as the old model except it doesn't have tuner status lights. I don't know what they were thinking when they made that decision.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/

post #2764 of 2776 Old 06-27-2017, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Granted I don't have DRM channels but after using Windows Media center and Xbox 360s for 7 years I have made the jump to androidtv boxes at my house and everything is working as it should and my family like it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jeff

Last edited by Gator99; 06-27-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #2765 of 2776 Old 06-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm sticking with Windows MCE 8.1 with epg123 and Xbox 360's. I just can't get used to the guide from SD.
chrisdfw likes this.
post #2766 of 2776 Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
I was playing around with DLNA servers on a Sony BDP-S6700 and I noticed that the HDHR was available. I tried it and was able to view channels just as I would using a computer with the regular SD app. My question is, is the functionality of the DVR app(I'm a $60 KS supporter) available via the Sony BDP? Can I view recorded programs via the Sony?

Thanks
post #2767 of 2776 Old 06-27-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz View Post
I'm sticking with Windows MCE 8.1 with epg123 and Xbox 360's. I just can't get used to the guide from SD.
Google really saved the day here for me with their live channels app on android tv providing a nice, usable grid. Otherwise I don't think I'd use it at all. I don't like the plex netflix live tv option either, but I would gladly use it over the silicondust app layout
post #2768 of 2776 Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Liked: 16
Anyone using Plex Pass or HDHomerun DVR vs. WMC? I still have Windows 7 and WMC along with an Xbox 360 as an extender, but wondering if I should move to using an app instead of PC to record/watch live tv. Just picked up used Mac Mini, so may put Plex Media Server on there and stream shows to Plex clients, Apple TV 3, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV. Wondering if you can move recorded shows from WMC to watch on Plex or HDHR DVR?

post #2769 of 2776 Old 09-19-2017, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I use WMC on Win8.1, with EPG123 and SD Homerun Prime. I run ServerWMC on the same machine and then Kodi on multiple PCs/devices through the house with PVRWMC, which lets you easily access the Recorded-TV folders and have the recordings grouped by the series.

The only obvious thing missing from Kodi playing back .wtv files is the ability to show subtitles natively. Also the series/TV episodes can only be ordered by the recording date. Kodi plugin interface only allows one date to play around it for the PVR options, and not two (recording and original-broadcast). However I once asked the serverWMC creator to add an option to send the broadcast-date instead of recording date from the server side, which he was nice enough to do. So with that option you can order the series episodes properly.

Of course using this ServerWMC/Kodi system only works with "Copy Freely" DRM channels. That is, most premium channels on cable (HBO, Showtime etc) will not play on the other PCs, unlike using an extender like XBox360.

We don't have premium channel subscriptions anyway, so it all works out.
post #2770 of 2776 Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomanA View Post
I use WMC on Win8.1, with EPG123 and SD Homerun Prime. I run ServerWMC on the same machine and then Kodi on multiple PCs/devices through the house with PVRWMC, which lets you easily access the Recorded-TV folders and have the recordings grouped by the series.

The only obvious thing missing from Kodi playing back .wtv files is the ability to show subtitles natively. Also the series/TV episodes can only be ordered by the recording date. Kodi plugin interface only allows one date to play around it for the PVR options, and not two (recording and original-broadcast). However I once asked the serverWMC creator to add an option to send the broadcast-date instead of recording date from the server side, which he was nice enough to do. So with that option you can order the series episodes properly.

Of course using this ServerWMC/Kodi system only works with "Copy Freely" DRM channels. That is, most premium channels on cable (HBO, Showtime etc) will not play on the other PCs, unlike using an extender like XBox360.

We don't have premium channel subscriptions anyway, so it all works out.
I see. I haven't done much research so haven't heard of ServerWMC, but it looks like its just a server which serves live/recorded content to its clients. Looks like you're then using Kodi with PVRWMC on the clients to allow them to also record/schedule or watch live tv as well, similar to how the Xbox 360 extender works. But like you mentioned, doesn't work with DRM channels. I don't really know which shows are DRM, but I only have HBO and if anything, can use the HBO Go app if anything.

I'll need to look more into this but it sounds like more setup needs to be done on ServerWMC and Kodi (adding plugins, etc) to get things up a running, but is an alternative to just using WMC and extenders. I just really don't want to use the keyboard like I do at times when my universal remote doesn't turn on everything correctly (a whole other issue, I know) when viewing on the clients.

Just quickly looking at setup vs. using say Plex Pass or HDHomerun DVR, but those are paid services, which ServerWMC, Kodi, and PVRWMC are free correct, except for maybe EPG which shows to be a yearly payment for the guide info?

I have my Dell PC plugged into my AVR and to my main Living room tv which I'd like to just replace with a client (Xbox One, Apple TV 3, Amazon Fire TV) instead of that bulky thing. Also would like to get a better/newer UI.

Thanks for the info though! Good to know and have you looked into the other options above or really just haven't thought about it b/c what you have currently works just fine?

post #2771 of 2776 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
Thanks for the info though! Good to know and have you looked into the other options above or really just haven't thought about it b/c what you have currently works just fine?
I was forced to move to this setup when Windows 10 stopped supporting WMC. I wanted something WMC based, since we were perfectly happy with WMC recordings and playback.

ServerWMC basically makes the entire WMC database (guide, recordings, recording schedules) available to the Client plugin (PVR WMC) on Kodi. Both server and client are written by same people. Kodi already had TV PVR client format, which any PVR plugin can use to connect to media servers. I must have tried 5 or 6 different ones (connecting to EMBY, and others) , and found serverWMC to be the best option. With that you can schedule recordings, pause live TV, and since everything happens on that one server PC running actual WMC (and serverWMC), there are no recording conflicts or basic resource problems. If you have only one Recorded TV folder on the main WMC PC, there's pretty much no configuration needed for serverWMC. Just install it and after that it runs in background.

On the Kodi side, you have to install PVRWMC (which comes with Kodi distribution), and configure the IP-Address of the WMC box. I use power-saving options, so Kodi clients can send wake-up packets to the main WMC box, if it's in sleep state. Kodi gets the recordings (grouped in Series format, like WMC), and loads the guide on startup.

By the way, I only use EPG123 because of the recent issues with WMC guide outages - in particular the last one which went for days past the valid guide data. The default Rovi based WMC guide should work fine too in this setup, if it's available that is With EPG123, you have to buy subscription to SchedulesDirect. I think it's worth it. The quality of data is much better - actually it's same as what it used to be before Microsoft switched to Rovi based EPG.

Anyway, the setup works surprisingly well, anywhere you can run Kodi client (iOS, Android, Windows etc) The only problem is that it's not a true extender and hence the clients can't playback DRM (copy-once) channels or recordings.
post #2772 of 2776 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Anyone using Plex Pass or HDHomerun DVR vs. WMC? I still have Windows 7 and WMC along with an Xbox 360 as an extender, but wondering if I should move to using an app instead of PC to record/watch live tv. Just picked up used Mac Mini, so may put Plex Media Server on there and stream shows to Plex clients, Apple TV 3, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV. Wondering if you can move recorded shows from WMC to watch on Plex or HDHR DVR?
I used W7 WMC and a XBox360 for many years and had to move on due to guide issues. I had problems with EPG123 also. Since you have a Mac Mini and an ATV3 have you looked into the Channels app for the ATV? It is so far the best replacement for viewing tv with HD Homerun. I have been using Channels and their DVR (in beta) for 8 or 9 months and have had near zero problems. Check out their website at getchannels.com and check it out for yourself and read the forums there. It’s not free, and if your provider DRM’s their Channels then it may no be ideal for you, but it works great and the developers are quick to respond. I’m just a user who has found the perfect replacement.
post #2773 of 2776 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomanA View Post
I was forced to move to this setup when Windows 10 stopped supporting WMC. I wanted something WMC based, since we were perfectly happy with WMC recordings and playback.
Anyway, the setup works surprisingly well, anywhere you can run Kodi client (iOS, Android, Windows etc) The only problem is that it's not a true extender and hence the clients can't playback DRM (copy-once) channels or recordings.
Thanks for the details, much appreciated if I go that route. I was trying to ask if you looked into other options like Plex Pass or HDHomerun DVR, but it looks like ServerWMC serves you well so no need to look into anything at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminmarle View Post
I used W7 WMC and a XBox360 for many years and had to move on due to guide issues. I had problems with EPG123 also. Since you have a Mac Mini and an ATV3 have you looked into the Channels app for the ATV? It is so far the best replacement for viewing tv with HD Homerun. I have been using Channels and their DVR (in beta) for 8 or 9 months and have had near zero problems. Check out their website at getchannels.com and check it out for yourself and read the forums there. It’s not free, and if your provider DRM’s their Channels then it may no be ideal for you, but it works great and the developers are quick to respond. I’m just a user who has found the perfect replacement.
Thanks for that. Channels does look like a great alternative to streaming live shows to ATV3. I have other devices as well, not just Apple, but this looks like a good route for sure. I may install Plex Server on Mac Mini then since you can't add Kodi to ATV3, there is an alternative to stream shows to it via PlexConnect from the server. Then I can load Plex onto the other devices and record/watch live shows as well. I was looking into Plex Pass and HDHomeRun DVR app as well and was wondering, did you choose Channels b/c of how easy it was to setup with Apple devices or was there other factors compared to the alternatives?

post #2774 of 2776 Old Today, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Thanks for the details, much appreciated if I go that route. I was trying to ask if you looked into other options like Plex Pass or HDHomerun DVR, but it looks like ServerWMC serves you well so no need to look into anything at the moment.

Thanks for that. Channels does look like a great alternative to streaming live shows to ATV3. I have other devices as well, not just Apple, but this looks like a good route for sure. I may install Plex Server on Mac Mini then since you can't add Kodi to ATV3, there is an alternative to stream shows to it via PlexConnect from the server. Then I can load Plex onto the other devices and record/watch live shows as well. I was looking into Plex Pass and HDHomeRun DVR app as well and was wondering, did you choose Channels b/c of how easy it was to setup with Apple devices or was there other factors compared to the alternatives?
I needed something that would be easy for the wife and kids to use. I didn't want computers or have to buy Xbox one's for each TV. I had an ATV3 that I rarely used I saw it as an opportunity to use it and still use the same computer I used for WMC as a DVR to use as a Channels DVR. I used Plex and the Plex app to watch my old WMC Recordings. The Channels DVR is lighter on resources and has a built in commercial skip (using comskip). Plus if you have a modern router I have been able to use it wirelessly. With their iPhone and iPad app I can stream the recordings remotely. Which can also be done through the web interface. Besides the cost of the apps I pay $8/month for a DVR that works, that I don't have to worry about, and the wife and kids can use it easily. Plus if you have a NAS, there are some programs to run the DVR off a NAS. Any questions or problems have been answered quickly by the developers. As far as setup it was easy. Set it up on a computer running WIN10.For me this has been a good investment.
post #2775 of 2776 Old Today, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminmarle View Post
I needed something that would be easy for the wife and kids to use. I didn't want computers or have to buy Xbox one's for each TV. I had an ATV3 that I rarely used I saw it as an opportunity to use it and still use the same computer I used for WMC as a DVR to use as a Channels DVR. I used Plex and the Plex app to watch my old WMC Recordings. The Channels DVR is lighter on resources and has a built in commercial skip (using comskip). Plus if you have a modern router I have been able to use it wirelessly. With their iPhone and iPad app I can stream the recordings remotely. Which can also be done through the web interface. Besides the cost of the apps I pay $8/month for a DVR that works, that I don't have to worry about, and the wife and kids can use it easily. Plus if you have a NAS, there are some programs to run the DVR off a NAS. Any questions or problems have been answered quickly by the developers. As far as setup it was easy. Set it up on a computer running WIN10.For me this has been a good investment.
Good to know about being able to skip commercials with Channels DVR, and also nice tip on being able to use Plex app to watch old WMC recording. I wasn't sure if you could do that since there are some shows I like to keep even though I don't hardly ever watch them, but did you have to convert the files to another format?

But yeah your setup makes sense since you had an ATV3 and ipad, iphones. I too have a rarely used ATV3, so need to put that to use for sure. Was just looking at scenarios for using 1 app if possible for all my devices vs. different ones, but yeah I just want something simple for the wife to use. I hate having to use the keyboard at times to navigate and mess around with WMC vs. having it start up and work via universal remote. I'd rather just tuck that PC away upstairs and stream the contents to the clients so there's no need to fuss around with the PC.

Also have a weird issue where Windows 7 time gets out of synch by like 5 mins so it cuts off my shows. Tried fixing a few times but it still happens over and over. Maybe this is sign to move off Windows 7 and WMC and go with some of the other alternatives for sure.

post #2776 of 2776 Old Today, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I followed HDHomeRunDVR from their kickstarter days, but never actually signed up for subscription. Both that solution and PlexDVR don't support DRM channels, so I won't get anything on top of what I can already get with ServerWMC and Kodi client.

I did try many other options though - MythTV, EmBy (the old "Media Browser" M-B from WMC days), and by the way, ServerWMC can connect to EmBy as well instead of Kodi. Eventually I settled on ServerWMC/Kodi option. Of course this solution won't work with AppleTV devices in the mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
hdhomerun bluray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page