AVS Forum banner

HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread

277K views 3K replies 300 participants last post by  jcalabria 
#1 ·
See less See more
#552 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158802

It's a known issue and sd is reportly working on a fix. You have to go into one of the sub menu of ta to check the firmware version. No, you can't ask for update the firmware. You have to wait for them to push it out.

I didn't see this on Silicondust's website. Maybe my search terms were wrong. Where did yo find this out?

#553 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158802

It's a known issue and sd is reportly working on a fix. You have to go into one of the sub menu of ta to check the firmware version. No, you can't ask for update the firmware. You have to wait for them to push it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158849

I didn't see this on Silicondust's website. Maybe my search terms were wrong. Where did yo find this out?
I am curious too. What known issue? and any particular firmware?

I am still on Firmware: 20120501beta1, I find it odd that SD has not released an official FW since 20120405.

#554 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158804

Yes,

Tuning Resolver Menu > Versions and MACs

FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601

No one should still be running F.1402, Most Cable Cos are running F.1501, but F.1601 is the latest.

Contact the Umatter2Charter team via Twitter or email or DSLR or Facebook, I see they also have a presence here at AVSF http://www.avsforum.com/u/8101092/umatter2charter
http://myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=2260
I'm still on version 1402 on Cox here. Tried power cycle my ta many times and still no update.

#559 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158896

Btw, the reason you didn't see new firmware release for Prime is due to the new channel scan feature in beta firmware failed miserablely because of this bug..

Yes, I had that issue, for some strange reason Cox AZ puts one Analog channel into the CableCARD line-up, which is a duplicate of the local PBS channel already in Digital, the SD channel scan errors out as soon as it hits that one Analog channel 94.

#561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158931

Yes, I had that issue, for some strange reason Cox AZ puts one Analog channel into the CableCARD line-up, which is a duplicate of the local PBS channel already in Digital, the SD channel scan errors out as soon as it hits that one Analog channel 94.

That's just one bug which they fixed but many other ppl are reporting the TA timeout errors due to the channel scan using all three tuners at the same time. This is exactly the same issue I described in above linked thread which I had from day one.

#562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/480#post_22102542

Well it is working better after putting an HDMI extender from monoprice in between the HTPC and AVR with two 3' HDMI cables from monoprice as well but it still freezes after a few hours but there's no HDCP handshakes happening every few seconds.

Any suggestions? Playready?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/480#post_22106188

Hello Sammy,

Playready was one of my issues. I found the FAQ at Silicone Dusts' page to be great for working through the installation, especially

the section that detailed the steps to get DRM in line. FWIW, check to see if you recently had a Silverlight update. If not, give that a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/480#post_22106737

I have this thread going over at silicondust's forums.

I did not check silverlight, but it hasn't been in the list of windows updates which I do not do automatically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/480#post_22110060

Resetting PlayReady seems to have done the trick so far.

Does installing a new video card create the need to reset PlayReady again? I just installed a new GT 430 and the EDID/HDMI issues have returned..

#563 ·
Just posting fyi..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1417683/madvr-intel-igp-and-ram-speed/90#post_22187239

For those of you who may be adding this card and are using LiveTV you may want to look here and here .

I'm working through this now. Hopefully I won't need to reset PlayReady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1417683/madvr-intel-igp-and-ram-speed/90#post_22187301

Well I did the HDMI reset and also changed the settings in NVidia Control Panel as follows:

It seems to be going okay now. I think it is the change of settings in the NVidia Contro Panel that was the trick not the HDMI reset, but who cares really as long as it works!

#564 ·
These are probably dumb questions, but I've read most of this thread and just have a few general questions.

1) Is there any simple yet fully detailed guide on getting the HDHR Prime up and running properly? I feel like SD provides a basic quickstart guide, and the general setup seems simple enough, but I keep seeing how there is a digital cable advisor and playready and all sorts of other things not mentioned in that setup and which I'm not sure if they will install in the quicksetup or if I should be installing them now or if I even can.

2) Can an Xbox 360 be used with a HDHR Prime without any media center pc? Like if I got a 2nd one for my parents tv downstairs, could I just let them have an xbox connect to the tuner and do everything itself for live viewing? They say they don't need dvr functionality. Also could I then take their 2 unused tuners to have 5 for my htpc? I read that sharing can be done automatically, so maybe I don't even have to worry about setting it up like that?

3) Are there any other things I need to know? I'm sort of unsure of some details, like does WMC use WMP for playing cable? Or can I set it up with MPC-HC and use madvr and such?

#567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/550_50#post_22189375

These are probably dumb questions, but I've read most of this thread and just have a few general questions.

1) Is there any simple yet fully detailed guide on getting the HDHR Prime up and running properly? I feel like SD provides a basic quickstart guide, and the general setup seems simple enough, but I keep seeing how there is a digital cable advisor and playready and all sorts of other things not mentioned in that setup and which I'm not sure if they will install in the quicksetup or if I should be installing them now or if I even can.

2) Can an Xbox 360 be used with a HDHR Prime without any media center pc? Like if I got a 2nd one for my parents tv downstairs, could I just let them have an xbox connect to the tuner and do everything itself for live viewing? They say they don't need dvr functionality. Also could I then take their 2 unused tuners to have 5 for my htpc? I read that sharing can be done automatically, so maybe I don't even have to worry about setting it up like that?

3) Are there any other things I need to know? I'm sort of unsure of some details, like does WMC use WMP for playing cable? Or can I set it up with MPC-HC and use madvr and such?

1) No. FWIW, I never have installed the Digital Cable Advisor. I followed the HDHomerun Prime startup guide (written for the homerun, but still works). Then I ran the "Live TV" setup in WMC. I use Comcast, and Windows livetv setup found Comcast Digital Cable based on my zip code. This WMC setup installs PlayReady, so don't worry about that. After those two setups, my channels tuned and recorded just fine. Others have had mixed results. Who is your provider?

2) No, but kind of yes. You can leave the "extending" HTPC in sleep mode and the 360 will wake it whenever you try to watch livetv. You cannot record on a 360, and you cannot watch without an instance of Media Center being extended to it from a PC

3) WMC will only play cable from the default player, which is kind of like WMP but with 10 foot controls at the bottom right. It will only record to the highly DRMd .wtv format. MCEBuddy can convert any Copy-Freely content to other formats. TIVO community forums are the best resource for copy control information. They are also the largest consumer base for complaining about things like, "In Atlanta this channel is copy-free, but in New York it's copy-once"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/550_50#post_22203808

Anybody using the 20120704beta1 firmware ?

Mine works now, so I don't fiddle with it. Might I ask, why are you trying to use that firmware?

#568 ·
I'm not using it because I don't usually like to use betas especially when you can't roll them back.

I'm on the April official release but am having a delay in grabbing a tuner when two are already in use recording and I want to change channels on the the third tuner. Otherwise it works great and i love it.

I have a ticket with SD from June 29 with now answer yet and in the meantime this f/w has come out.

#569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/550_50#post_22203885

I'm not using it because I don't usually like to use betas especially when you can't roll them back.

I'm on the April official release but am having a delay in grabbing a tuner when two are already in use recording and I want to change channels on the the third tuner. Otherwise it works great and i love it.

I have a ticket with SD from June 29 with now answer yet and in the meantime this f/w has come out.

Are there two shows where you try to record every new episode and this happens weekly? I've never had this occur, but it seems that I'm a Curmudgeon in terms of TV watching/recording. I rarely even watch/record simultaneously. The most my prime usually sees is just two live streams at a time for my household.

How long is the delay? Is it consistent with every channel change, or just the first time you fire up the channel guide on that particular HTPC?

Keep us posted, I'd like to know in case I experience the same thing

#570 ·
The delay can be anywhere from 10 seconds to "I guess I won't change the channel".

I don't record much so this isn't trying to record back to back shows. I can see how you'd run out of tuners there.

Here's SiliconDust's response about the firmware and the issue I am having:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconDust Support 

The change (recent f/w update) was related to the "message: Requested channel is temporarily unavailable. Alternative channel has been tuned." issue. Basically, the HDHomeRun PRIME now ignores some stupidity on the part of the Cisco TA where it reports that the channel was changed, but gives the same channel it was already tuned to. The timeout issue is still present; we are working on an update to automatically attempt tuning a second time if the TA times out the first time. This will most likely be in either the next beta or the one after that; we do not have a specific timeframe on that as it depends on when another critical issue is fixed. It will be available as soon as we have it ready.

#573 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/570#post_22204559

Don't install the latest 0704beta1. As pointed out above, it didn't resolve the timeout issue but introduced a new issue (actually it was introduced in last beta) that the Prime will priodically froze and require you to power cycle the Prime almost daily.

I thought it was the May beta f/w that was giving you fits. Have you instaled the July beta now?

#574 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158732

Cisco or Moto TA?

My Cisco TA did that when it was running firmware F.1402, but since the update to F.1601, only once,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158752

It is a Cisco (1520 I think). Is the f/w version shown in the HDHR web interface? How do I get Charter to flash it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/540#post_22158961

FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501
Quote:

It's a known issue and sd is reportly working on a fix. You have to go into one of the sub menu of ta to check the firmware version. No, you can't ask for update the firmware. You have to wait for them to push it out..

I requested a f/w update for the TA just over a week ago. Yesterday I got an email from Charter saying they were going to push it in the afternoon. Last night I checked and sure enough I'm on f/w 1601 on my Cisco 1520 TA.

#575 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1366158/hdhomerun-prime-owners-thread/570#post_22205578

I thought it was the May beta f/w that was giving you fits. Have you instaled the July beta now?

As I pointed out the issue first appeared in May beta but not fixed in July beta. I skipped May beta but decided to try July to see if there is any chance they fixed the TA issue.

#576 ·
I haven't had to reset my Prime in two weeks since Charter finally fixed their week signal and everything's been going strong. I had to reset the TA once due to the tuners not available issue while recording on two tuners and trying to change channels on the third tuner. I really didn't need to do that either as I really didn't need to change the channel just then. Right now it does seem to allow for a channel change after a short wait even if two tuners are recording. I am on the April f/w right now. We'll see how the Cisco 1601 f/w does now that I got Charter to push it for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.