Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #1 of 2139 Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Wanted to make this thread for owners to discuss this product. I am on the newest beta firmware and have not ran into any issues.

Heres some relevant links. If anyone has anymore please post them and I will add them to the OP.

3 Tuner Version

6 Tuner Version

HD Homerun Prime Fourm

Missing Remote Review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2139 Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't found on yet. I've been here around a month or so since I researched and purchased one.

Most of the problems I had were my own network issues.
post #3 of 2139 Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well screw it I am going to make this it unless anyone has a problem with that.
post #4 of 2139 Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 PM

I'm running the latest firmware, but not the beta. My original issues of "No Subscription" or "tuner's unavailable' are gone. Now my only standing problem is every now and then I'll get the WMC7 popup saying their is no signal, but it is recording... so I don't know what to do about that.

Otherwise, this is has been an awesome product!
post #5 of 2139 Old 10-11-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa View Post

I'm running the latest firmware, but not the beta. My original issues of "No Subscription" or "tuner's unavailable' are gone. Now my only standing problem is every now and then I'll get the WMC7 popup saying their is no signal, but it is recording... so I don't know what to do about that.

Yah it does act a little funky for me when there are no tuners, I think that was more of a wmc thing. It kind of started bugging out.
post #6 of 2139 Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

7MC will report a tuner is not available each time it tries to record a show before it starts (see recording defaults in settings). This is typically an issue when recording back to back shows with no extra tuners or when waking for a scheduled recording.
post #7 of 2139 Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 PM

I have two HDHomeRun Prime 3CC units connected to mid-range 2011 Mac Mini (2.7 GHz i7 dual-core, AMD 6630M, 8GB RAM, 240GB OCZ Vertex3 MI, 750GB 7200RPM) running bootcamp. Everything is fairly good. I have issues with 29/59 frame rate bug with the original system using Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. I did the suggested settings for AMD GPUs and its barely noticeable to me.

My only issue reliable return from Sleep (S3). I get no tuner available and eventual lose all tuners and have to restart. The systems are currently set to Max Performance with the PCIe set to Moderate Performance and the Minimum Processor to 5% and Drives Sleep at 20 minutes. I had to do something to keep the units cool and save power.
post #8 of 2139 Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

7MC will report a tuner is not available each time it tries to record a show before it starts (see recording defaults in settings). This is typically an issue when recording back to back shows with no extra tuners or when waking for a scheduled recording.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you said.

7MC will report it has no tuner before looking for a turner before it starts to record a show? I don't remember seeing a setting about this in the recording defaults.

As for recording back to back shows, I have 6 tuners, 1 usually in use, 1 recording, which leaves 4 available for the next back to back show.

I'm assuming these are all issues with 7MC and how it handles the tuners, but bah!
post #9 of 2139 Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I have two HDHomeRun Prime 3CC units connected to mid-range 2011 Mac Mini (2.7 GHz i7 dual-core, AMD 6630M, 8GB RAM, 240GB OCZ Vertex3 MI, 750GB 7200RPM) running bootcamp. Everything is fairly good. I have issues with 29/59 frame rate bug with the original system using Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. I did the suggested settings for AMD GPUs and its barely noticeable to me.

My only issue reliable return from Sleep (S3). I get no tuner available and eventual lose all tuners and have to restart. The systems are currently set to Max Performance with the PCIe set to Moderate Performance and the Minimum Processor to 5% and Drives Sleep at 20 minutes. I had to do something to keep the units cool and save power.

Are you on the latest firmware? My pc sleeps, and wakes up for recordings. I haven't ran into this problem you speak of yet. Tuners have always been available when resuming.
post #10 of 2139 Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Missed recordings were problems with some versions of firmware. I had problem with the Oct 8 firmware (no issues with several versions before) but just upgraded to Oct 11 firmware and it appears to have resolved the missed recordings.

There can be problems though if setting the recording to a few minutes before/after the show. This causes problems if you fill all of the tuners. Is the nature of that type of function though, not a Prime specific thing.

Really like the Prime overall.
post #11 of 2139 Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM

I'll have to get the new beta Oct. 11th software tonight when I get home. I have had some issues with the Oct. 8th beta. I had the sleep issue (loosing tuners upon awaking requireing reboot). Things were good on the Oct. 3rd beta release.

I'm also having an issue that I'm not sure is HDRP related after installing both the Oct. 11beta software and Remote Potato server. I get the interminable WMC "blue spinning wheel" when I got to Tasks>TV and that machine won't shut down properly when I try to get out using Task manager.

Has anyone else had issues with Remote Potato affecting WMC7 and if so, know if its HDRP related?
post #12 of 2139 Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post

Missed recordings were problems with some versions of firmware. I had problem with the Oct 8 firmware (no issues with several versions before) but just upgraded to Oct 11 firmware and it appears to have resolved the missed recordings.

There can be problems though if setting the recording to a few minutes before/after the show. This causes problems if you fill all of the tuners. Is the nature of that type of function though, not a Prime specific thing.

Really like the Prime overall.

Yah this is an issue with WMC. Rather annoying I think even if the shows are on the same channel it will occupy two tuners while they overlap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckensto View Post

I'll have to get the new beta Oct. 11th software tonight when I get home. I have had some issues with the Oct. 8th beta. I had the sleep issue (loosing tuners upon awaking requireing reboot). Things were good on the Oct. 3rd beta release.

I'm also having an issue that I'm not sure is HDRP related after installing both the Oct. 11beta software and Remote Potato server. I get the interminable WMC "blue spinning wheel" when I got to Tasks>TV and that machine won't shut down properly when I try to get out using Task manager.

Has anyone else had issues with Remote Potato affecting WMC7 and if so, know if its HDRP related?

I have remote potato installed haven't had any issues with it so far.
post #13 of 2139 Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Been running it for almost a month now, and its been rock solid. Time to take back the crappy FIOS DVR.
post #14 of 2139 Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

Been running it for almost a month now, and its been rock solid. Time to take back the crappy FIOS DVR.

Oh you got Fios? Lucky you, time warner puts the copy once flag and every dang channel.
post #15 of 2139 Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 PM

FiOS added the copy flag to FOX.... it's really an inconvenience now... I was amazed at how much it effected me when they made the change.
post #16 of 2139 Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

FiOS added the copy flag to FOX.... it's really an inconvenience now... I was amazed at how much it effected me when they made the change.

As I understand it, MSOs are not allowed to copy-protect local broadcast channels. I would call Verizon and complain. If that doesn't work, file a complain with the FCC.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

HTPC Enthusiast
post #17 of 2139 Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh really? Regular fox? Thats weak.
post #18 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Not true where I am.

I regularly record local football games on FOX and watch it on my other PCs.
post #19 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not true where I am.

I regularly record local football games on FOX and watch it on my other PCs.

Thats good to hear. I have a couple atsc tuners so this wouldn't affect me. Seems weird though that they would do this to a broadcast channel.
post #20 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Thats good to hear. I have a couple atsc tuners so this wouldn't affect me. Seems weird though that they would do this to a broadcast channel.

For me, as far as I can tell, nothing has been set as copy once and really hope it stays that way. I don't have premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc though.
post #21 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me, as far as I can tell, nothing has been set as copy once and really hope it stays that way. I don't have premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc though.

Yah this is one of the good things I hear about fios.

But I have to say I love the fact that time warner has let me sign up for internet and now cable tv without any contracts. This was never the case with dish and direct.
post #22 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM

The software/firmware on this device is terrible, though getting better.

I have mine setup to be partitioned on a gigabit switch between it and my HTPC. I did the partition for other reasons (didn't want to buy a wireless adapter for 5 devices in my living room so I put a switch in and ran a cable) but it's a happy coincidence that I can avoid trying to connect the tuner to the HTPC over an unreliable wireless connection. I also have a very low recording demand (never more than 2 shows at a time and only about 8 recordings/week). Despite this simple setup, WMC fails to allocate a tuner about once a week -- usually when only one recording is scheduled for that day.

Hopefully they get these problems resolved as the concept of the product is great but so far the implementation is poor.
post #23 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedy View Post

The software/firmware on this device is terrible, though getting better.

I have mine setup to be partitioned on a gigabit switch between it and my HTPC. I did the partition for other reasons (didn't want to buy a wireless adapter for 5 devices in my living room so I put a switch in and ran a cable) but it's a happy coincidence that I can avoid trying to connect the tuner to the HTPC over an unreliable wireless connection. I also have a very low recording demand (never more than 2 shows at a time and only about 8 recordings/week). Despite this simple setup, WMC fails to allocate a tuner about once a week -- usually when only one recording is scheduled for that day.

Hopefully they get these problems resolved as the concept of the product is great but so far the implementation is poor.

Hmmm, maybe it something with your network? I haven't ran into any issues like this yet. Been recording quite a bit. I have the htpc and prime hooked directly to my router. I also had to buy a new switch because I was out of ports on my router.

But I did not put the prime or the htpc behind the switch as to lower the possibility of a problem.

Are you on the latest firmware?
post #24 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:

The latest firmware 20111013 beta addresses the incorrect flag issue.
post #25 of 2139 Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Liked: 12
I've got a question for you HDHR Prime owners. I'm thinking of adding 6 tuners to my HTPC's. Is the only way to have all 6 available to the HTPCs TunerSalad? Does TunerSalad play nice with the HDHR primes?

I would like all machines to have all 6 in the pool of tuners.

Thanks
post #26 of 2139 Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yraen View Post

I'm thinking of adding 6 tuners to my HTPC's. Is the only way to have all 6 available to the HTPCs TunerSalad? Does TunerSalad play nice with the HDHR primes?

Yes, because by default, WMC has a 4 tuner limit for CableCard and a 4 tuner limit for QAM. TunerSalad increases the limit to 12 for each category.

TunerSalad works fine with the HDHR Prime.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #27 of 2139 Old 10-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

Yes, because by default, WMC has a 4 tuner limit for CableCard and a 4 tuner limit for QAM. TunerSalad increases the limit to 12 for each category.

TunerSalad works fine with the HDHR Prime.

Thanks, I'll have to pick them up then. I would have thought with the 6 tuner version they would have included that fix into the drivers.
post #28 of 2139 Old 10-15-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yraen View Post

Thanks, I'll have to pick them up then. I would have thought with the 6 tuner version they would have included that fix into the drivers.

It is kind off odd, but I think the 6 tuner version was made more with a whole home in mind and not one pc. Regardless its a limitation of WMC and not the hardware.

Tuner salad should fix you up. I think they charge a small fee now but its not much.
post #29 of 2139 Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM

Went to the store to purchase the HDhomerun Prime and was confronted with two boxes. I am curious if I picked correctly or not.

The box purchased had three glossy sections on the front and the other box only has the picture of the tuner glossy.

The back of the box has an image of a M-CARD where the other box has none.
I am hoping I picked the more recent version.
LL
LL
post #30 of 2139 Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosy View Post

Went to the store to purchase the HDhomerun Prime and was confronted with two boxes. I am curious if I picked correctly or not.

The box purchased had three glossy sections on the front and the other box only has the picture of the tuner glossy.

The back of the box has an image of a M-CARD where the other box has none.
I am hoping I picked the more recent version.

You got the right one.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page