Newbie Codec Package Question - LAV > Shark007 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have installed LAV as per Assassins guide (indispensible for an HTPC newbie) but am thinking about installing the Shark007 package which now incorporate LAV filters. Do I need to uninstall LAV stuff and anything else before installing Shark007? Am I tempting fate? I haven't done much with DVDs yet and have only been using WMC7 TV and music, which is working after finding all the Windows WMC7 work around issues in configuring WMC7 for bitstreaming 5.1 sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
When installing Shark007 you should uninstall your LAV stuff.

The latest Shark007 package is pretty much ready to use after installing. I switch to bitstreaming and change one other setting somewhere. Not really a need for a guide at this point.

post #3 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
post #4 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Liked: 14
I'm wondering if I should try the Shark codecs on my system then? Here's my situation. I currently use WMC to record & playback ATSC and NTSC content and I use XBMC for ripped DVDs and Blurays. I just switched over my HTPC to an Intel DH67BL w/ Pentium G620 from an ASUS E35M1-M PRO. The main reason I decided to do this was to get a little better performance in WMC and XBMC. Because XBMC was having issues with DXVA acceleration when using SB graphics I decided to revisit MB in WMC (I haven't used it in over a year or so). I have to say that I'm fairly pleased Hydra although I still think that XBMC has a slight edge in GUI responsiveness. I've followed the Assassin guides in setting up MB so I'm using only LAV right now. However the problem I'm having is that when I play the same 720p mkv the playback is flawless in XBMC but not quite so with MB. In MB I get a quick "studder" every so often and the location of that "studder" is repeatable in terms of the playback time that it occurs - almost as thought there is a problem with the encoding in the file. However when I play this file back in XBMC I do not get any "studder" at all, so I'm thinking that it might be codec/player issue. Should I try the Shark codecs to see if they correct this issue or is there something else to consider?
post #5 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How often is every so often? On all files or just a few particular files?

I do not have this issue.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Just in case you were wondering - I don't think this is at all related to the 24fps issue that people always seem to bring up whenever Intel HD graphics are mentioned.

But the answer to your question is it varies. I could see two studders in quick succession (like 5-10 seconds apart) and then everything is fine for 5 minutes until it happens again. I've noticed it in just about every file I've played back. It wasn't until I got DXVA working properly in XBMC that I was able to compare the two players. I mainly compared two files, Transformers 3 and an episode of Sons of Anarchy, both h264 mkvs streamed from my media server and the results were the same. MB seemed to have studders and XBMC did not. I'm not really sure what else to do here but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

BTW - I did download and install the latest version of the Intel graphics driver that was available as of October 13th.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsume99 View Post

BTW - I did download and install the latest version of the Intel graphics driver that was available as of October 13th.

That could definitely be it.

Newer isn't always better. Especially with drivers, unfortunately.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Hmm. I suppose you could be right but I figured since it worked in XBMC then there was no problem with the driver and instead it might be a codec/player issue since XBMC and MB use different codecs and players.

Just to clarify - I just built this system last week and when I updated the driver I went from the driver on the install disk (Oct 2010) to the version currently available on Intel's website. It wasn't like I had the previous driver version running and everything was stable and I just decided to upgrade on a whim. I only decided to upgrade because I was having a problem using a nightly build of XBMC. Basically XBMC would crash if I enabled DXVA acceleration. Updating the driver did resolve that problem.

So what version of the Intel driver would you recommend that I use?
post #9 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

I had decided NOT to install Shark007 and to stick with LAV. but try as I might I could not get my MKVs to appear in WMC7 and very few of my MKV files were showing that they were using LAV. So finally I tried Shark's latest update after uninstalling LAV. I was imediately able to see my MKVs in WMC and they played. Also, they now showed in Graph studio that they were going thru LAV splitter and using LAV audio.

I installed TMT5 as a trial. When I try to play a BluRay OR MKV either from within WMC or by launching TMT5, I get screen blinking (gray noise and black screen) and when I do get the picture, the audio is way out of sync with the video. Also, if I go to recorded TV or live TV after doing this, I also get the blinking gray/pink noise and black screens periodically and frequently but the sound is consistent. I probably have some codec confusion.

How do I fix this? I see Sharks response to some issues in his forum is to open the X64 setup as admin and close. Is that it or are there other settings to try as well? Or maybe uninstalling Shark007 and reinstalling in case it senses and fixes the settings for TMT5. Anyone else having issues with TMT5.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckensto View Post

I had decided NOT to install Shark007 and to stick with LAV. but try as I might I could not get my MKVs to appear in WMC7 and very few of my MKV files were showing that they were using LAV. So finally I tried Shark's latest update after uninstalling LAV. I was imediately able to see my MKVs in WMC and they played. Also, they now showed in Graph studio that they were going thru LAV splitter and using LAV audio.

I installed TMT5 as a trial. When I try to play a BluRay OR MKV either from within WMC or by launching TMT5, I get screen blinking (gray noise and black screen) and when I do get the picture, the audio is way out of sync with the video. Also, if I go to recorded TV or live TV after doing this, I also get the blinking gray/pink noise and black screens periodically and frequently but the sound is consistent. I probably have some codec confusion.

How do I fix this? I see Sharks response to some issues in his forum is to open the X64 setup as admin and close. Is that it or are there other settings to try as well? Or maybe uninstalling Shark007 and reinstalling in case it senses and fixes the settings for TMT5. Anyone else having issues with TMT5.

I don't know what you have done but I have never had this issue using LAV with dozens of builds. If it is installed right it should "show up". Even when you click on a MKV outside WMC a box will show up saying that this file is not supported but do you want to open it anyway. When you select yes the file will start playing in WMP (notice I said WMP, not WMC).

So both WMC and WMP should play them just fine assuming your setup is correct and there aren't a bunch of codec packs with un-installed leftover parts mucking everything up for you.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I don't know what you have done but I have never had this issue using LAV with dozens of builds. If it is installed right it should "show up". Even when you click on a MKV outside WMC a box will show up saying that this file is not supported but do you want to open it anyway. When you select yes the file will start playing in WMP (notice I said WMP, not WMC).

So both WMC and WMP should play them just fine assuming your setup is correct and there aren't a bunch of codec packs with un-installed leftover parts mucking everything up for you.

I had installed LAV on a new build fresh install according to the Assassin guide. No other players or codecs added. For some reason, I was not getting MKV made by MakeMKV to appear in my Movies in WMC. Yet I could get it to open in WMP doing what you said.

Also, before installing Shark, not many of my MKVs showed the GraphStudio LAV profile in your guide. Now it does appear that everything goes thru LAV Splitter first and most audio uses LAV (except DTS). I guess the Shark pack set the priorities etc.

If I uninstalled Shark and reinstalled LAV according to your guide, THEN installed TMT5 should it function properly and show up in WMC. I have saved restore points etc.

For the Wife and WAF, I am trying to keep the user interface to WMC for everything including DVDs and BDs.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you have windows 32 or 64 bit. Which lav version or parts did you install?
post #13 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

64 bit for my X64 And All the LAV components and new version posted on the Assassin paid guid as of 10/22. I3 Z68 using i3 on board GPU no vid card.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

64 bit for my X64 And All the LAV components and new version posted on the Assassin paid guid as of 10/22. I3 Z68 using i3 on board GPU no vid card.

I am not sure why LAV alone didn't work for you. I am sure that you installed both 32 and 64 bit parts to LAV.

If Shark is working for you then use it. But again, I don't see why LAV alone didn't work for your setup.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsume99 View Post

I had a bad issue with being able to play movies on my i3 using the most current Intel driver. I rolled back to the one recommended in Assassin's guide (if you have BSOD issues) and it works flawlessly now. I suggest using that one.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenielsen View Post

I had a bad issue with being able to play movies on my i3 using the most current Intel driver. I rolled back to the one recommended in Assassin's guide (if you have BSOD issues) and it works flawlessly now. I suggest using that one.

That's a great idea to try as well.

With HTPC there are so many variables I try to keep it as simple as possible. As I have stated I have tried a lot of the options that are currently out there and have narrowed it down to a "recipe" that I think works quite well.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's a great idea to try as well.

With HTPC there are so many variables I try to keep it as simple as possible. As I have stated I have tried a lot of the options that are currently out there and have narrowed it down to a "recipe" that I think works quite well.

Can you point me to that driver? No BSODs although sometimes I get Power_State_Failures on shutdown..... I updated the iGPU just yesterday hoping to fix this LAV issue but maybe I need to go back earlier instead... I guess, when one puts all these things together its not always predictable. Not sure if my HDHRP network tuner figures in here..... because otherwise I followed a recommended Assassin build to the letter. I guess its possible that some update or driver along the way messed this up?

I guess the idea behind the Shark package is to prioritize the use of selected certain codecs by applications (now LAV for me) over others by making registery modifications etc. It seems that my LAV install didn't do that for most ripped MKVs.

Just another question though. If I want to play BDs directly without ripping, I still need another player pluggin for WMC, right? even if LAV had worked for me.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #19 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I understand that TMT5 brings its own codec package. But once I start TMT5 it causes blinking and synch issues even when I go back to live or recorded TV until I reboot. I will try another driver.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Can you point me to that driver?

This one:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1967...64_15218bb.zip
post #21 of 24 Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenielsen View Post

This one:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1967...64_15218bb.zip

Its in my FAQ for future reference. Lots of good stuff there.
post #22 of 24 Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Its in my FAQ for future reference. Lots of good stuff there.

I searched thru your FAQ (+Pics) and don't see anything on this and your search function doesn't really seem to work well on the blog. It is in the first paid guide however. I will try the different drivers with TMT5 and give it another shot.
post #23 of 24 Old 10-25-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Here is another link to a minimalist codec install for Intel i3-7 processors that might be worth a try as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45427411/Cod...%20or%20I5.pdf
post #24 of 24 Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I searched thru your FAQ (+Pics) and don't see anything on this and your search function doesn't really seem to work well on the blog. It is in the first paid guide however. I will try the different drivers with TMT5 and give it another shot.

Its near the end of the faq.

Quote:

I am trying to use the HDMI connection with the integrated Intel GPU but keep getting a blue or blank screen. What gives?
There is a bug in the Intel Win7 x64 HDMI drivers that can cause a blue or black screen with certain system combinations. Try this older driver which has been known to fix this issue. If you connnect okay with VGA and not HDMI this is highly suspicious of confirming this problem.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page