Windows Home Server use network shares? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'm sorry if this information is already on here. I attempted searching here and online. My question is:

Is it possible for Windows Home Server to use a SAMBA share as its primary storage? Meaning the OS is local, but the data where videos/backups/photos are stored on a SAMBA share. (I have an Unraid NAS that I want the home server to use to store all the data for sharing..)

I hope I was clear as possible. If someone could answer this question who has a WHS. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Which version of WHS? WHSv1 or WHS2011?

post #3 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

2011?

I haven't yet purchased the OS, I was planning on purchasing it and running it in a VM..

"Live to Win!"
post #4 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
If I am understanding you correctly then what you want to do is not a problem at all.

Correct me if I am wrong

Here is what you have:
a NAS box running Linux and serving out Samba shares
a WHS box

If the statements above are correct then you can serve out Samba and just map the share as a network drive on the WHS box.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

If I am understanding you correctly then what you want to do is not a problem at all.

Correct me if I am wrong

Here is what you have:
a WHS box

If the statements above are correct then you can serve out Samba and just map the share as a network drive on the WHS box.

+1

Right on the money.

I'm confused too.

post #6 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
I have both and I am pretty sure that you cannot map an unraid share to be part of the storage for whs2011.

What features of whs are you wanting other than a NAS?
post #7 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong

Here is what you have:
a WHS box

I don't think that this is what he is trying to do. What I think the OP is trying to do, and what I have also wanted to do, is have files presented by WHS to the network as if they are on the WHS box (real or virtual) when in fact they are stored on another box (e.g., a NAS) and made available to the WHS box (e.g., by SAMBA, NFS, iSCSI, etc.).

The way that I do this is using iSCSI. My primary server is based on FreeBSD (using ZFSGuru), which presents iSCSI disks to WHS2011. WHS2011 treats the iSCSI disk as a real disk. I've done this with both a real and virtual WHS2011.

To be more specific, and beyond the scope of the post, both WHS2011 and FreeBSD (using ZFSGuru) are running virtual under ESXi.
post #8 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike View Post

I have both and I am pretty sure that you cannot map an unraid share to be part of the storage for whs2011.

What features of whs are you wanting other than a NAS?

The OP should give his own reasons, but there are a number of WHS add-ins that will only work with the local storage. For example, MyMovies for WHS is great for ripping and organizing movies and music, but it will only rip and organize to the local disks.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs2tx View Post

I don't think that this is what he is trying to do. What I think the OP is trying to do, and what I have also wanted to do, is have files presented by WHS to the network as if they are on the WHS box (real or virtual) when in fact they are stored on another box (e.g., a NAS) and made available to the WHS box (e.g., by SAMBA, NFS, iSCSI, etc.).

The way that I do this is using iSCSI. My primary server is based on FreeBSD (using ZFSGuru), which presents iSCSI disks to WHS2011. WHS2011 treats the iSCSI disk as a real disk. I've done this with both a real and virtual WHS2011.

To be more specific, and beyond the scope of the post, both WHS2011 and FreeBSD (using ZFSGuru) are running virtual under ESXi.

Is using iscsi any different then using a mapped drive from a windows perspective. Is it because windows sees it is a raw device and not a file system?

I don't think unraid supports iscsi, but I am pretty sure that Ubuntu and Fedora and most other distros do have packages for iSCSI.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Is using iscsi any different then using a mapped drive from a windows perspective. Is it because windows sees it is a raw device and not a file system?

Yes, using iscsi is very different than a mapped drive. Mapping a drive on WHS will make the content on the NAS available to WHS2011, but WHS2011 will not be able to then turn around and share the same content out to the network. For example, if music files are stored in a folder on the NAS and shared via samba, the samba share could be mapped to a drive (e.g. drive "M") on WHS2011, but there is no way to get these same files to show up under the music share of WHS2011 (e.g., \\\\server\\music). Using iscsi, you can get around this limitation. There may be other ways to achieve the same result, and I would love to hear other solutions.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, using iscsi is very different than a mapped drive. Mapping a drive on WHS will make the content on the NAS available to WHS2011, but WHS2011 will not be able to then turn around and share the same content out to the network. For example, if music files are stored in a folder on the NAS and shared via samba, the samba share could be mapped to a drive (e.g. drive "M") on WHS2011, but there is no way to get these same files to show up under the music share of WHS2011 (e.g., \\\\server\\music). Using iscsi, you can get around this limitation. There may be other ways to achieve the same result, and I would love to hear other solutions.

I just tried it on my work machine, a mapped/network drive is not shareable....it makes sense that iSCSI is since it's a block device. Good to know.

In OPs case though if he is using WHS that means that the clients on the same network are also windows machines. If that is the case then he has access to the Samba shares directly without going through the WHS machine. So he can write to the share or backit up or do whatever from the WHS machine and access the data from any machine on the network.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:

In OPs case though if he is using WHS that means that the clients on the same network are also windows machines. If that is the case then he has access to the Samba shares directly without going through the WHS machine. So he can write to the share or backit up or do whatever from the WHS machine and access the data from any machine on the network.

I don't know the goal of the OP. You are correct if all he wants is for the clients to have access to the shared content. BUT, if we wants to take advantage of some of the WHS-specific add-ins (e.g., MyMovies), relying on Samba shares will not work.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think he nailed it best what I was wanting to do.

I currently have a Application server (running Windows 7 Ultimate) and a Unraid storage server 14TB+. The Application server runs a VM that has a Ubuntu loaded for usenet purposes and also hosts WMC for the extenders (xbox 360s). So I wanted to run another VM with WHS2011. To provide, backups and all the other features WHS2011 provides. All the data would be stored on the Unraid server.

It sounds like it may not be possible to do this, or take advantage of the WHS2011 features without using local stored media from my reading of his post though. Have I cleared up what I'm trying to accomplish? Does anyone have any suggestions?

"Live to Win!"
post #14 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

I think he nailed it best what I was wanting to do.

I currently have a Application server (running Windows 7 Ultimate) and a Unraid storage server 14TB+. The Application server runs a VM that has a Ubuntu loaded for usenet purposes and also hosts WMC for the extenders (xbox 360s). So I wanted to run another VM with WHS2011. To provide, backups and all the other features WHS2011 provides. All the data would be stored on the Unraid server.

It sounds like it may not be possible to do this, or take advantage of the WHS2011 features without using local stored media from my reading of his post though. Have I cleared up what I'm trying to accomplish? Does anyone have any suggestions?

What kind of features from WHS do you need, doesn't unraid already serve as a backup since it is raided.

I know that raid is not a backup substitute but how much protection for media do you need?

Be specific in what exactly you want to use from WHS.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 AM

He specifically said he wanted to use the automated backup feature of whs. every night it will wake up your client pcs and back them up. There is also a dyndns client, remote file access and media streaming built into whs2011.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike View Post

He specifically said he wanted to use the automated backup feature of whs. every night it will wake up your client pcs and back them up. There is also a dyndns client, remote file access and media streaming built into whs2011.

What he said. More for the media streaming part, as I've tried other products with nothing being successful so far. Like twonky media server, nero media home, mezzmo, playon and etc.

"Live to Win!"
post #17 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Have you tried air video server on your unraid box? I don't think it will stream wtv's though.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Right now, I'm trying to setup for streaming to any kinda of device that will accept DLNA. Specifically the Xbox 360. I think air video is mostly for just iPod specific.

I'm rocking a Windows Phone 7. Most of my movies I have stored are blu-ray rips from disk into 1080p MKV's with HD audio included and it seems none of the transcoding software really want to transcode the video because it is stored on a network share. All connected via Gig-e. Although Air video did work when I tried this previously, but I set that up because of using a iPhone 4...

"Live to Win!"
post #19 of 22 Old 08-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Has anyone had any joy with this?! I'm also trying to get network shares to be shared out by WHS but it doesn't allow it. It's highly annoying since I have a few TB of media on external drives and don't really want to go through the whole task of getting it on to WHS, also, since I'm running it as a VM its that much more complicated.

I really like the features of WHS, being able to remote access the files and stream, but it's annoying that it won't share out network drives, is there a reason for that?! I could go the iSCSI route, but then I have to take all the drives offline to do so which is not ideal at all, since on the odd occasion I like to take the drives away with me.

The only other option is for me to apply the WHS features in a windows server 2008 r2 environment where I already have WMC 2.0 set up to serve my xbox, PS3 and various other DLNA enabled devices which works fine, but I love the added features of WHS, especially remote access, but I don't even know where to start! Any one got any ideas?
post #20 of 22 Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foysal Miah View Post

Has anyone had any joy with this?

I may have a solution. I set up a DFS namepace on WHS2011 and added folders from my network shares from a FreeBSD server. The DFS folders show up as shares from WHS2011 and I was able to access the underlying content from server as if it was on WHS2011.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Could you tell me more about the DFS? Did you have to do replication?
post #22 of 22 Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have the DFSRoots folder, but I can't access any folders in it. I'd love to hear more about this solution. I hope you can give me some guidance.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page