HDHomeRun stream to iPad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide if I should purchase a HDHomeRun.
I am on Windows environment so obviously EyeTV isn't my choice.

Basically I simply want to watch live TV on my iPad. Fancy features such as scheduled recording, or programming guide is not required (but nice to have if it's free). I've done some research and found two possible solutions:

1) TellyServer - www.telly-app.com
2) OrbLive - www.orb.com

However, the compatibility with hdhomerun is not listed on both websites. I've also seen this question asked
on orblive's support forum but no one has given a definitive answer. Has anyone used HD HomeRun successfully with any of these software? and which one would you recommend?

btw, I posted same question on HDHomeRun forum about two weeks ago but no one has answered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM

I don't know about the two you mentioned, but I think you should look at MediaPortal. It will do what you want if you install the iPiMP option. You can learn more about it at http://code.google.com/p/ipimp/.
post #3 of 48 Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM

I dont' think you can stream directly to the Ipad. Do you have an HTPC. If so, check out Remote Potato. Not exactly live but if you have an HTPC you can see the program guide on your HTPC with Remote Potato on your Ipad and tell it to record and then just watch the recording while its recording. Almost live, depending on how fast you are.
post #4 of 48 Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySeven View Post

I don't know about the two you mentioned, but I think you should look at MediaPortal. It will do what you want if you install the iPiMP option. You can learn more about it at

Thanks,

iPiMP is a plugin to MediaPortal and live TV is a experimental feature.

Does MediaPortal support HDHomeRun?
post #5 of 48 Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinmonk View Post

Does MediaPortal support HDHomeRun?

Apparently it does:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/h.../instructions/

But of course it involves a PC to stream the HDHomerun to the iPad (dunno if this works). I'm guessing Orb would do it too, but ideally there's a player for iPad akin to Windows' VLC player that could stream directly from the HDHR to the iPad.

I'm surprised no one has made such a thing yet--at least, if it existed they should know about it over at silicondust.
post #6 of 48 Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You're not going to be able to stream mpeg2 HDTV to an iPad without transcoding to mpeg4 somewhere, so live TV will not work. The iPad doesn't have the horsepower to handle an HD mpeg2 stream.

Recordings transcoded to mpeg4 in a format that the iPad can handle will work fine (720p, I suppose).
post #7 of 48 Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Ouch, forgot that little detail!

I'm inspired now to see if my tablet PC has the horses to play-back from the HDHR (and what a cool little box the HDHR is).
post #8 of 48 Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Ouch, forgot that little detail!

I'm inspired now to see if my tablet PC has the horses to play-back from the HDHR (and what a cool little box the HDHR is).

Whats in your tablet? My amd z01/c50 plays from the prime just fine, if you have an atom+ion I'm betting it would work too.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #9 of 48 Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I've got my HDHR today and tested with above mentioned software. I would like to share the experience a bit:

- Orb (version 3.14.0044): it looks like a very popular product but it can't detect HDHR. Looking at the support forum, there were request for supporting HDHR since Jan 2011 and still no solution available. $9.99 app.

- MediaPortal with ipimp plug-in : I was half way there but then gave up. The setup for MediaPortal is complicated. It even requires a sqlserver 2005 or MySQL(why not sqlite?). I tried sqlserver 2005 but it failed to install on my windows 7 sp1 x64 box. There is another reason I would not choose this solution even if I had set it up successfully. 1) I use WMC 2) ipimp-plug in is essentially a web interface but I would prefer a native application.

- TellyServer(version 1.1.1): detected tuner and scanned channel successfully. Setting up is the simplest of all, but it also has minimum feature: It does streaming and nothing else. (which I am OK with). UI is pretty minimum too: On Windows, you are able to choose which tuner to use and scan channel. On iPad/iPhone, just a list of channels and you can pick one to streaming. You can also choose a streaming profile, from lowest 256x144 to highest of 1024x576(ipad). $4.99 app
post #10 of 48 Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM

So... I don't have to use MC7 to watch TV with the prime and can go back to media portal!?!?! Cant wait to end the work day!
post #11 of 48 Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy10 View Post

So... I don't have to use MC7 to watch TV with the prime and can go back to media portal!?!?! Cant wait to end the work day!

No only with the regular hdhomerun. If your using cable card you need W7.
post #12 of 48 Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I did some digging into the video formats the iPad supports, and as I understand it, the iPad has no hardware acceleration for MPEG2 video, which means you need to decode it on the CPU. The iPad's CPU is not fast enough to decode HD MPEG2 (only SD) which is the reason for the SD limitation on the Elgato application.
This means a PC of some sort needs to be used to transcode it (the CPU in the Prime is not fast enough to do so, and there is no dedicated hardware which can do it) to a format the iPad can decode in hardware.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #13 of 48 Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Yep, that's pretty much what I said above - you can watch recordings after transcoding, but you can't watch live TV because you can't transcode HD mpeg2 to 4 on the fly for the iPad. SD might work w/native mpeg2 but it's going to suck. Can the VLC iPad app stream unprotected SD channels from the HDHR Prime or Ceton?
post #14 of 48 Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I did not make it clear:
all 3 software I tried (Orb, iPimp, TellyServer) are transcoding solution. i.e. a Windows PC is required in the middle.
post #15 of 48 Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 PM

is CableCard tuner supported by Telly? hdhomerun prime, Ceton InfiniTV, etc..
post #16 of 48 Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester3 View Post

Hello,
I am the developer of Telly. TellyServer currently only supports OTA ATSC tuners. ClearQAM support will be available soon in January 2012. We will start working on CableCard tuner support after that.
post #17 of 48 Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I did some digging into the video formats the iPad supports, and as I understand it, the iPad has no hardware acceleration for MPEG2 video, which means you need to decode it on the CPU. The iPad's CPU is not fast enough to decode HD MPEG2 (only SD) which is the reason for the SD limitation on the Elgato application.
This means a PC of some sort needs to be used to transcode it (the CPU in the Prime is not fast enough to do so, and there is no dedicated hardware which can do it) to a format the iPad can decode in hardware.

Apparently you have not checked out the Elgato ad for this, they claim and show that you do not need a computer inbetween the prime and the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spBMS2yMCzk

They admit this is strictly SD copy freely content only.
post #18 of 48 Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimediashtick View Post

Apparently you have not checked out the Elgato ad for this, they claim and show that you do not need a computer inbetween the prime and the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spBMS2yMCzk

They admit this is strictly SD copy freely content only.

Correct - I was saying that you would need a computer to transcode HD. Here at least (on TWC) this application would be useless - I would get the ~5 OTA SD stations and that's it.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #19 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Hello, jester
I am writing an app that streams directly from HDHomeRun to iOS device. First beta has just been released.
An external player (goodplayer) is currently required to playback video. If you would like to test, you can sign up here:
https://testflightapp.com/join/a48b2...420ca-NDI3NDE/

youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5UzOGC1dw

more info about the first beta release:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11847
post #20 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM

I have the 3 tuner version of the Prime and an iPad. It does stream video directly to the iPad, but you have to purchase an app "Elgato HDHomerun Prime." This app cost $18.99 and works very well. It will not stream HD channels as far as I can tell. Recommended.
post #21 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netant View Post

Hello, jester
I am writing an app that streams directly from HDHomeRun to iOS device. First beta has just been released.
An external player (goodplayer) is currently required to playback video.

Thanks. I tired your Telly app on my iPad and it works great - the picture quality is excellent and it's extremely easy to setup. One question I have is when is ClearQAM support going to be available? In my location there is only a few OTA channels available...
post #22 of 48 Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I tired your Telly app on my iPad and it works great - the picture quality is excellent and it's extremely easy to setup. One question I have is when is ClearQAM support going to be available? In my location there is only a few OTA channels available...

FYI: Next release of Telly(1.3.0) with ClearQAM tuning support has been submitted to AppStore for review. It should be available very soon.
post #23 of 48 Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

So let me get this straight:

1. "Telly HDHR" installs to iPad but presently is only available to beta testers (how to install if it's not available thru the Apple Store?)

2. GoodPlayer is needed at $2.99

3. Telly tells the iPad about the HDHR and feeds GoodPlayer the HD video

If this is correct I will want to become a tester...
post #24 of 48 Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

So let me get this straight:

1. "Telly HDHR" installs to iPad but presently is only available to beta testers (how to install if it's not available thru the Apple Store?)

2. GoodPlayer is needed at $2.99

3. Telly tells the iPad about the HDHR and feeds GoodPlayer the HD video

If this is correct I will want to become a tester...

1) When you register as a tester, your iOS device id will need to be uploaded so an ad-hoc distribution binary will be built. App will be delivered as an IPA file. It will be installed by clicking a URL (service provided by testflightapp.com) No jailbreak or AppStore is involved. Currently looking for testers with HDHomeRun Prime.

2) Technically speaking any RTP+MPEG2 video player should work. I know GoodPlayer works with UDP/RTP, that's why GooldPlayer is integrated. However, GoodPlayer isn't a stable product and it crashes occasionally (a lot when feed HD stream to it). If there is any other player that supports RTP+MPEG2, I am happy to integrate it as well.

3) iPad1/2 or iPhone4/4S plays SD video only. No HD video can be handled due to CPU limitation. Let's wait for iPad3...
post #25 of 48 Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Telly 1.3.0 has been released with ClearQAM tuning support (vista/7 only). lite version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/telly-lite/id464425829

Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me2ttPiZSWY

Enjoy!
post #26 of 48 Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Telly 1.3.0 has been released with ClearQAM tuning support (vista/7 only). lite version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/telly-lite/id464425829

Enjoy!

I updated to 1.3.0 and it worked well.

a few suggestions:

1) it looks like the epg grabber might cause problem with hvr2250 tuner. the program will keep running and not goes away and it causes streaming to fail somehow. I have to disable the OTA epg scan. However, with HDHomeRun tuner, it works fine.

2) There is too little EPG information, only title and time is available. Would it possible to include description or episode title?

3) would it possible to re-order the channel list? or can it have a separate list for favorite channel?

4) Can Telly automatically connect to last TellyServer? It seems pointless to go 'Setting' tab and select the same server everytime.

5) maybe a channel editor would be nice.

Anyway, love the app. Keep up the good work!
post #27 of 48 Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

I updated to 1.3.0 and it worked well.
1) it looks like the epg grabber might cause problem with hvr2250 tuner. the program will keep running and not goes away and it causes streaming to fail somehow. I have to disable the OTA epg scan. However, with HDHomeRun tuner, it works fine.

If you are using only cable (ClearQAM), it is recommended to uncheck the 'Collect EPG' box on TellyServer. Collecting EPG is only applicable for OTA ATSC and it might cause problem with ClearQAM.
A more reliable way of getting EPG will be available for next version.
post #28 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:

If you are using only cable (ClearQAM), it is recommended to uncheck the 'Collect EPG' box on TellyServer. Collecting EPG is only applicable for OTA ATSC and it might cause problem with ClearQAM.
A more reliable way of getting EPG will be available for next version.

Do you think it's possible to integrate with other apps such as i.TV or Zap2it?
They have reminder function and if the reminder can automatically open Telly and switch to the channel that would be awesome.
post #29 of 48 Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Do you think it's possible to integrate with other apps such as i.TV or Zap2it?
They have reminder function and if the reminder can automatically open Telly and switch to the channel that would be awesome.

Thanks. This feature makes a lot sense. I will contact them to see if it's possible.
post #30 of 48 Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Telly 1.4 has been released

New features includes Windows 7 Media Center TV Guide support.
On a Windows 7 PC with Media Center setup property, TellyServer is now able to import TV guide information directly from Media Center for more complete and detailed TV guide. You can also schedule a time to let TellyServer automatically import TV guide. Previous method of parsing PSIP/EIT is still available forWindows XP and Windows Vista. Note that Media Center 7 is available with Windows
7 Home Premium and up.

Change Log:
- New: Improved with a much more completed and detailed TV guide (Windows Media Center 7 required)
- New: Manual or automatic import guide data from WMC7
- New: Improved TellyServer setup page with a cleaner UI
- New: Show current problem during program loading
- Misc: Improved iPhone/iPad UI responsiveness
- Misc: Disable collecting OTA EPG by default
- Fix: Unable to stream when user has non-standard profile path
- Fix: Incomplete Windows Firewall rule

Youtube video:
iPhone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIWxQEDw8o
iPad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOuhZLZh8jY