Need help, New Build won't POST! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully this is the right place for this. I am thinking I have a bad MOBO but I wanted to check here before I go RMA'ing anything. Here is what I am working with.

Gigabyte Intel Z68 Micro ATX LGA 1155 Motherboard (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)
SilverStone Grandia Series HTPC Case GD06B
SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W
Intel Core i5-2500K
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (Not installed yet, still haven't arrived)
Corsair-Force GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK

OK, so I hooked everything up properly, ATX 12V, 24 Pin power, CPU, stock heat sink, hooked up all the wires for fans and everything. When I plug in the PSU, nothing happens.... Now there is no light on the MOBO or on the PSU, but I tested the PSU on another PC and it works. I tested the other PSU on the Gigabyte MOBO and it did nothing again. I took the CPU out and reseated it. Nothing looked damaged on it but I don't know. So I am turning here for help. I am very frustrated because I feel I have a higher than normal understanding of this and I have built other PC's without issues. I unhooked and re-hooked everything up multiple times. I'm ready to return the whole lot! Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Liked: 13
did you plug the power switch in correctly?

Do any lights light up like the ethernet light?

Try clearing the cmos or making sure the motherboard doesnt come with the clearcmos jumper already in place (doubtful)

You can rule out things like the processor, the motherboard should do SOMETHING when hitting power even if no processor is installed, most will tell you when something is wrong with stuff like that (either beep or voice).
post #3 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Are the fans cycling on and off every few seconds. This is what happened to me with the same mobo i3-2100. I was told by Newegg that it was damaged pins on the processor socket even though this wasn't apparent to me. Apparently the pins on the boards are super delicate.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have the same MB. The processor just falls in with gravity only. If it takes *any* force, it's not right.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discotech View Post

Hopefully this is the right place for this. I am thinking I have a bad MOBO but I wanted to check here before I go RMA'ing anything. Here is what I am working with.

Gigabyte Intel Z68 Micro ATX LGA 1155 Motherboard (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)
SilverStone Grandia Series HTPC Case GD06B
SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W
Intel Core i5-2500K
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (Not installed yet, still haven't arrived)
Corsair-Force GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK

Forgive me if I presume wrong... but are you trying to start this system up without any RAM?

post #6 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

1st, idividebyzero, no. I get absolutely nothing. No lights on MOBO, no PSU fan spinning, no CPU fan spinning, No ethernet lights, nothing happens..... Not even any type of electrical noises... nothing.
Digital Desire, the CPU dropped in with no problem, however, when I locked the latch, there was some resistance. Even if I damaged the CPU, there should still be some kind of something going on with the MOBO, right?
Vlad, I do not have any RAM installed, but like I said. I get nothing. No beeps, no fans, no lights. Unfortunately, the PSU and MOBO have no lights on them at all so there really isnt a way to tell.... I will try to hook up the power switch again and see if that makes a difference. I am just soo puzzled.

At the very least, with just the MOBO and a PSU, I should get SOMETHING, right?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire View Post

I have the same MB. The processor just falls in with gravity only. If it takes *any* force, it's not right.

Was the CMOS jumper in place when you got your MB? I don't think mine is there, but there are 2 little black pieces that look seperate on the CMOS pins.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Is the power switch on the back of the PSU in the on position?
post #9 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_Roadster View Post

He has tried a different one also, and both test ok in other builds.

I did not do anything with any jumpers, just bolted it in and plugged it together.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You might need ram?

post #11 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_Roadster View Post

PSU has no switch or volt changer red thingy..... LOL the name escapes me. But the PSU does work and has powered up another PC.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

ok, so I finally figured it out... and I feel a little like an idiot.....turns out, the power switch wasn't secured to the case so when I powered on, no connection was made..... plugged it in and everything came alive..... Thanks for the quick replies, I was going CRAZY!!
post #13 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Liked: 13
I was about to ask if you were sure the power switch was plugged in correctly, its easy to mess that up and its always the first thing I check if a computer does nothing when hitting the button.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 168
One thing to check when this happens is the number of standoffs that have been installed in the case. Some cases have a few standoffs installed right out of the box and you need to add others to suit your particular motherboard profile. If you leave additional standoffs installed that aren't being used you run the risk of shorting connections on the motherboard.

I ran into this very situation with a new Antec Three Hundred case I just bought. There were about 4 or 5 standoffs already installed in the case and one or two of them did not line up with holes in the motherboard I was installing. I didn't give it much thought at the time and installed the rest of the standoffs necessary to install the full-sized ATX mobo. After hooking everything up I hit the power switch and nothing happened. The PSU was brand new but had never been tested by me so I swapped it out with a known working PSU with the same results.

Somthing clicked in my brain and I remembered about the extra standoffs so I disassembled everything, removed the unwanted standoffs and put it all back together. I hit the switch and the sucker came to life. The extra standoffs were grounding the motherboard and keeping it from turning on. Sometimes it's the little things you overlook that bite you in the butt.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

I was about to ask if you were sure the power switch was plugged in correctly, its easy to mess that up and its always the first thing I check if a computer does nothing when hitting the button.

A good test for this is to simply find the power pins (the pins that the plug to the case switch attach to) on the motherboard and short them together with a paperclip or screwdriver momentarily. It is a momentary switch, and polarity makes no difference.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page