Media Center MCE PC Remote Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some clarification on this type remote....
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contro...0502077&sr=8-1
If I have movies that I play off my PC, that are avi type that I have in files on my pc, that I normally play with VLC media player, then...within the windows entertainment center software, would I still be able to play these movies the same way, with this remote control? I am unsure whether or not to use this type of remote control...or, rather have some other type of IFR type keyboard device that would allow me greater control over my PC. I've read some things here, and sticky's and its still a bit unclear. I have nearly 100 avi movies at a time on my hard drive, and I simply pipe these onto my tv and will have the capability of doing this at different rooms of the house.
I am going to be using a sewell product for making this happen and am presently wiring now...
http://sewelldirect.com/IR-Emitter-and-Reciever-Kit.asp
So, would it be the above MCE remote, or should I be thinking along the lines of a minirature keyboard type device, that may allow me more control over the pc? (i don't have a droid type device and this type of expense is outta the question)
thx for the advice. DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 03:28 PM

I have that one as my secondary. The play controls work better than my HDPLEX remote in WMC. About your specific question, I'm not sure - but I've had good luck with it.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I use this remote with my main Windows Media Center setup. The mouse controls are a little slow, but that's ok for me. I only use the mouse controls for emergency issues. There is a button at the bottom called "close" which will close the current open window/application which is real handy if you use multiple applications or front ends on the system.

The two things I don't like about that remote is the play button will also pause. In Windows Media Center, with most other remotes I have used, if you hit the play button while something is playing you will get the timeline bar at the bottom of the screen and the time in the corner. It's just a habit we have gotten used to. With this remote, the play button also pauses what is playing. It's a minor inconvenience.

The other thing I don't like is a little more annoying... the numbered buttons do not have any letters... so you can't use them in Media Center to search in a text-message type way. For instance, you can't hit the number 6 button to get to the "N"s in your list of items or when trying to search for something.

Other than that it functions really well and is pretty cheap.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. More educating today. I've realized I want control over my pc, like as if i were sitting if front of it. What I'll do is get a couple usb cable (as extenders) and pipe to my room with t.v. Then connect dongle to this and now must either use a 2.4 or blue tooth driven micro keyboard. I'm eyeballing this unit...
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluet.../dp/B0042VF30U
as it is backlit and good priced. I should only then need roughly no more than 10' of distance. The blue tooth will also keep the confusion of my other 2.4 htz gadgitry interference down to a minimum. The only thing I don't like, is that I would have to get 2 of these devices for my 2 different rooms. I'd like to be able to use the one type of operating device for 2 or 3 locations. Oh well. I'll keep looking. At least I'm getting closer to a solution.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page