Doh, new system wont boot - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well just ran down to the UPS store picked all my stuff up and put it together, problem is it wont boot. The fan comes on but no beeps, or any other activity. Another odd thing is holding down the power button won't shut it down, and the reset switch doesn't do anything. I'm going to have to play around with it some tomorrow but I think I might have gotten a bad mobo. Ah the risks of being a system builder.

ECS A75 motherboard with llano A6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Probably because its an amd?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, because there has never been a defective motherboard that supports intel cpu's. Possibly the dumbest comment ever posted.
post #4 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Yeah, because there has never been a defective motherboard that supports intel cpu's. Possibly the dumbest comment ever posted.

I loved it.

post #5 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Remove all hardware except mobo, cpu w/heatsink, and 1 stick of ram.

post #6 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Remove all hardware except mobo, cpu w/heatsink, and 1 stick of ram.

Better yet take the board out of the case put it on top of the box it came in and go from there. This will eliminate any chance of neg grounding possibly coming from the case.
post #7 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
u put the cpu in? duh. ^)

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #8 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Liked: 12
are the standoffs in the case? usually something silly like that.
post #9 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Paper washers on the standoff mounts for the MB? That was the prob last time I ran into the issues you described.

You can test by onscrewing the MB and put cardboard under it or whatever to insulate it and retest.

I am such a NOOB at A/V..

post #10 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post

Paper washers on the standoff mounts for the MB? That was the prob last time I ran into the issues you described.

You can test by onscrewing the MB and put cardboard under it or whatever to insulate it and retest.

In many years in this hobby, I have never seen a MB that needs paperwashers on top of the standoffs. Any decent MB has a metal ring around the hole where the standoff is. But be careful that you do not have any extra standoffs touching some traces on the MB, that will certainly cause your problem.
post #11 of 46 Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does the mobo have a power led on it, is it on when the power supply is plugged in?

it was a joke...you sound like a butthurt loser.
post #12 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

u put the cpu in? duh. ^)

Reply's like this do not help the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

it was a joke...you sound like a butthurt loser.

All kidding aside the OP has an issue and am sure he/she is not in a humerus mood. Sarcasm and insults don't help him with the issue at hand. If you have any helpful tips please post them otherwise move on!

Seriously take the mobo out of the case and just add the necessary hardware, ECS is a very budget mobo and I for one avoid these types of boards when possible. The best mobo's I've ever used are the Gigabytes never had one go belly up on me in all the years of building PC's. My P4 on a Giga mobo is well over 8yrs old and running W7 with zero issues. If you do find the mobo to be defective then look at some name brands like Asus,Giga etc.

Good luck and please post your results for other folks to research.
post #13 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

All kidding aside the OP has an issue and am sure he/she is not in a humerus mood. Sarcasm and insults don't help him with the issue at hand. If you have any helpful tips please post them otherwise move on!

Seriously take the mobo out of the case and just add the necessary hardware, ECS is a very budget mobo and I for one avoid these types of boards when possible. The best mobo's I've ever used are the Gigabytes never had one go belly up on me in all the years of building PC's. My P4 on a Giga mobo is well over 8yrs old and running W7 with zero issues. If you do find the mobo to be defective then look at some name brands like Asus,Giga etc.

I posted advice together with my portion of douchiness. The mobo led will indicate if there is power going to it or not, it could be that one of the voltage does not get to where it needs to, for example the 1.5v.
post #14 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=Nimo;21175340]Reply's like this do not help the OP.

Yup, petty insults say more about the poster than the subject of said insult.
post #15 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll try pulling it out of the case and possibly put in a known good stick of ram. I have a known good PSU so that would leave mobo or cpu, and in my experience cpu are almost never defective.

Well tried all of the above, seems the mobo was DOA.
post #16 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=jeffkro;21175422]
Quote:

Yup, petty insults say more about the poster than the subject of said insult.

I don't see any insults.

post #17 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=assassin;21175513]
Quote:

I don't see any insults.

People see what they want to see.
post #18 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a Frys near by they always have good deals on bundled cpu's and mobo's. This weeks ad on page 6 there is an MSI 880-GM and Atlon X4 645 for 134.00 before rebate. Good luck getting it from them I never did but the deal itself regardless of the rebate is still a good deal. I've put together a few MSI builds and those boards are very good mobo's, allowances for unlocking cpu's and OC'ing.
post #19 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Not sure what experience you have you do not mention what components we are dealing with, but the first things to check are:

1. If you installed the 4/8 pin power connector
2. Ensure you installed the power and reset switch correctly on the MB

Does the fan stay on, or does it start then stop?

Depending on exactly what you have and your symptoms will determine what could cause the problem you are seeing and the advise to fix said problem.

If you are asking for help it is best to be specific as possible to ensure you get the right advise.
post #20 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB View Post

Not sure what experience you have you do not mention what components we are dealing with, but the first things to check are:

1. If you installed the 4/8 pin power connector
2. Ensure you installed the power and reset switch correctly on the MB

Does the fan stay on, or does it start then stop?

Depending on exactly what you have and your symptoms will determine what could cause the problem you are seeing and the advise to fix said problem.

If you are asking for help it is best to be specific as possible to ensure you get the right advise.

I tried both 4/8 connectors, reset cmos, the fan does stay on, tried known good ram, reset the cpu. When I tried running it out of the case I only connected the power sw connector, it would run without the reset sw and indicator lights plugged in right?
post #21 of 46 Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

RAM might be good but not compatible with that particular motherboard.

post #22 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

RAM might be good but not compatible with that particular motherboard.

Do you have a motherboard speaker? Have you tried booting without RAM?

If the motherboard works - you should get some annoying beeps if you don't have RAM installed.
post #23 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:

It would run without the reset sw and indicator lights plugged in right?

Yes, these don't need to be plugged in.
post #24 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM

I had a similar problem with a PC I built several years ago. Went through similar troubleshooting and almost sent the Processor back. As a last ditch effort, I applied new thermal compound to the heatsink and this solved the issue. Not sure it would work for you, but it's worth a shot if nothing else works.
post #25 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM

How are you connecting it to the monitor/tv? Try a different connection/cable to make sure you arent getting any video. Dont just test the cable, try a different port.

Quote:

I had a similar problem with a PC I built several years ago. Went through similar troubleshooting and almost sent the Processor back. As a last ditch effort, I applied new thermal compound to the heatsink and this solved the issue. Not sure it would work for you, but it's worth a shot if nothing else works.

it was probably something else, you can actually run a computer with no heatsink at all
post #26 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The board has HDMI and rga, i tried both and also tried with a graphics card. None of it worked, I even hooked it up to more than one monitor. I tried three different sticks of ram and that didn't help. One interesting thing is I tried with no ram to see if I would get the error beeps, and I did. Also without ram in it, holding down the power button would turn it off.
post #27 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Did you find out what the beep code is? The beep code is probably from not having ram... I think the motherboard is DOA.

post #28 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Liked: 14
Remove RAM. Disconnect PSU. Remove battery. Clear CMOS.
post #29 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Did you find out what the beep code is? The beep code is probably from not having ram... I think the motherboard is DOA.

Yeah, it was 3 beeps for no memory.
post #30 of 46 Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
First- whenever you remove RAM or make electrical connections on the MOBO, UNPLUG the power from the power supply. You do this by unplugging the power cord from the back of the PSU.

2nd, try using just one stick in the first slot. If it boots, you're looking at either the other stick is bad OR you have the second stick in in the wrong slot. If no joy with the first stick, try the other stick before moving on.

If that fails, pull the CPU and look for bent pins. Usually just a couple of pins that are out of order as compared to other pins.

BTW, I'm assuming you have everything else BUT the RAM, CPU and PSU unhooked. First get the board to pass the built in test, then add more components one at a time. ALWAYS disconnect the PSU plug from the back of the power supply as you go along. I've been where you are, and while it's frustrating, you learn so much when things get screwy on you.

One last bit of advice: If after all these tests are done and you've concluded the MOBO is bad, take a closeup pic of the pins where the CPU goes in AND the serial number of the board. Returns...can be a pain in the rear.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page