Switching from ISO to MKV - Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Ok so here is my situation. I have, over time, backed up all of my blu-rays onto my HTPC using AnyDVD-HD. They are complete ISO's. However, I am going to remove the storage part of my HTPC into a NAS, and am also out of space. So I think now I want to convert all of my ISOs into MKV Files that I would like to play over a gigabit network connection. (Using a seperate storage NAS and a player)

I do not want to degrade the audio or video quality of the blu ray. I want to just cut out extra audio tracks, etc. Basically everything except the movie and the DTS-MA audio track.

What software will do this the easiest, and what settings do I need to use for the conversion? I have read about a few but I really am just looking for ease of use and reliability. I can google a hundred guides but I'd rather ask this community based on your personal experience.

Also, what is the best way to play it over the network? I have tried just mounting an image over the network and it seems to jitter at times. I have had some success with MKV files I've tried out using the PS3 media server without issue as well. But I would like whatever player or media device it is to be able to play it at the best quality without any skipping.

I am sure this has been posted before, so forgive me for not spending more time searching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
MakeMKV. If it does not work, try BluRip (a front end of eac3to and mkvmerge).

BTW how many BDs do you have in HTPC? Building a media storage server with 15 3.5" drive bays (45TB if you use 3TB HDD = ~1000 BDs) is easy and not so expensive (~$600 including WHS 2011, without HDDs). You can keep ISOs.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

MakeMKV. If it does not work, try BluRip (a front end of eac3to and mkvmerge).

BTW how many BDs do you have in HTPC? Building a media storage server with 15 3.5" drive bays (45TB if you use 3TB HDD = ~1000 BDs) is easy and not so expensive (~$600 including WHS 2011, without HDDs). You can keep ISOs.

I haven't count the number of movies. It's 16tb of storage currently.

Biggest issues currently are things like hard drive prices being rediculous. Yeah, I have seen things like external drives at costco being $100.

But I wanted to move away from hardware raid as well. Was going to look into UnRaid. I haven't read anything about Windows Home Server before. I have seen a lot of rack-mounted systems with 15-20 bays, plus they cost a lot. I'd rather not buy a rackmount case too.

All things aside, I initially did want to keep them all as ISOs but now that it is full it is becoming annoying. Plus the playback issues I've had playing an ISO over the network. If you know a better way to do that let me know, but so far using Virtual Clone Drive over the network hasn't had good results.
post #4 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MakeMKV as Renethx said.

But you could always try a recompress with a CQ of 18 with RipBot264 just to see if they are ok with you. In most case I can't see the difference with my 46 years old eyes on my 60" TV from 8 feet away.

The only movies that I keep intact are nature documentaries and DVD. The DVD I keep as ISO since even a DVD-9 is smaller than my BR recompressed which are around 10 to 15gigs in size (Audio is in Flac).

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #5 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMenard View Post

MakeMKV as Renethx said.

But you could always try a recompress with a CQ of 18 with RipBot264 just to see if they are ok with you. In most case I can't see the difference with my 46 years old eyes on my 60" TV from 8 feet away.

The only movies that I keep intact are nature documentaries and DVD. The DVD I keep as ISO since even a DVD-9 is smaller than my BR recompressed which are around 10 to 15gigs in size (Audio is in Flac).

Are there any specific settings I need to configure with MakeMKV?

I don't want to degrade the PQ at all, though I've read the same things you have about some people not being able to notice. I have a very large screen so I don't want to take the chance.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Are there any specific settings I need to configure with MakeMKV?

I don't want to degrade the PQ at all, though I've read the same things you have about some people not being able to notice. I have a very large screen so I don't want to take the chance.

Nothing to set with MakeMkv, beside selecting the source and what track you want to keep (along with which audio and subs).

I had a 110" inch screen with a 1080p projector before moving back to my 60" LCD. I couldn't really see the difference then either. You see, depending on your field of work, our earing and eyesight aren't what you could call pristine after a few year. After 10 years as a an arc welder and 18 years as an IT guy, I can see when a picture is good or when it's bad but that is about it.

There is also a point at which you have to decide if you want to do this as a hobby or if you want to become a professional reviewer. Me, I collect movies as a hobby. I enjoy watching a movie or TV serie as a form of escapism. I'm not all that much concern about having the best of the best audio and video wise, as I explain before, since I cannot distinguish it from what I'm enjoying right now. And since I'm a collector first, I prefer to have thousands of films and TV episodes on my 14tb server instead of hundreds. For me, in the end just as in war, quantity trumps quality everytime.

Of course, this being an afficionado forum, my opinion isn't worth all that much.

PS.: Don't flame me! English isn't my first language and sometime my sentences come out more aggresive than they really should be.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #7 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

WHS 2011 + FlexRAID. Simple, safe, cheap ($53; FlexRAID is free) that gives fault tolerance against a single driver failure. Or UnRAID ($119). In either way, you can mix various sizes of HDDs. You can build either a 15 bay rackmount server or a 15 bay tower server for ~$600 (without OS and HDDs). Hardware RAID is not so good for a home media storage server (and it raises the total cost considerably).

The price of HDD will go down eventually. Just buy only necessary right now.

MakeMKV is ripping only. It does not re-encode video or audio. Blu-rip is an all-in-one: it can rip with video/audio intact and it can also re-encode video/audio (x264, eac2to).
post #8 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:

WHS 2011 + FlexRAID. Simple, safe, cheap ($53; FlexRAID is free) that gives fault tolerance against a single driver failure. Or UnRAID ($119). You can build either a 15 bay rackmount server or a 15 bay tower server for ~$600 (without OS and HDDs). Hardware RAID is not so good for a home media storage server (and it raises the total cost considerably).

The price of HDD will go down eventually. Just buy only necessary.

MakeMKV is ripping only. It does not re-encode video or audio. Blu-rip is an all-in-one: it can rip with video/audio intact and it can also re-encode video/audio (x264, eac2to).

You mean eac3to?

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #9 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WHS 2011 + FlexRAID. Simple, safe, cheap ($53; FlexRAID is free) that gives fault tolerance against a single driver failure. Or UnRAID ($119). In either way, you can mix various sizes of HDDs. You can build either a 15 bay rackmount server or a 15 bay tower server for ~$600 (without OS and HDDs). Hardware RAID is not so good for a home media storage server (and it raises the total cost considerably).

The price of HDD will go down eventually. Just buy only necessary right now.

So when you say 15 bay tower, do you mean one that is more like 10 bay with something like a 5/3 bay converter?

Also, right now I have two 8 port raid cards that I will be more than happy to dump. But I still will need to plug in all of those hard drives to SATA ports. Motherboards usually will not support 15 drives. What kind of expansion cards would you recommend to support this?
post #10 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So when you say 15 bay tower, do you mean one that is more like 10 bay with something like a 5/3 bay converter?

Also, right now I have two 8 port raid cards that I will be more than happy to dump. But I still will need to plug in all of those hard drives to SATA ports. Motherboards usually will not support 15 drives. What kind of expansion cards would you recommend to support this?

It's like this (if you prefer a tower case):

Supermicro 8-port SAS/SATA 6.0Gb/s controller PCIe 2.0 x8 card + HighPoint Rocket 620 2-port SATA 6.0Gb/s Controller PCI Express 2.0 x1 Card + 6 onboard SATA ports. These are non-RAID cards (enough for FlexRAID/unRAID).
LL
post #11 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Just getting back to the mkv software, I've found Handbrake is very good and easy to use. Lots of online support too as far as what options to set up and its free!
post #12 of 24 Old 11-16-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

surprised (maybe) that's nobody's mentioned just using ClownBD to get rid of the extras and keep movie-only ISOs
post #13 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's what I also use.
Works great.
And it keeps the blu-ray structure intact.
You even can choose if you want folder structure or iso.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've been happy with MakeMKV.

I use MyMovies for Media Center and I'd rather not deal with the ISO mounting. It's nice to be able to press "play" on a movie and have it start right into the movie - no menus, trailers, warnings, etc...
post #15 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's nice to be able to press "play" on a movie and have it start right into the movie - no menus, trailers, warnings, etc...

Just so you know-that's exactly what we get when we use Clown
As far as mounting/using MyMovies, that may be a different story.

Here's how hard it is to mount and play and BD ISO

Double click on the file

(Everything else happens behind the scenes, the mounting of the disc, the opening of TMT, the playing of the movie)
Not saying it's the perfect situation for everybody-especially considering how different front-ends handle ISOs. (Just tired of the "it's such a hassle to have to mount the disc first" line is all...)
post #16 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I've been happy with MakeMKV.

I use MyMovies for Media Center and I'd rather not deal with the ISO mounting. It's nice to be able to press "play" on a movie and have it start right into the movie - no menus, trailers, warnings, etc...

I use Media Browser myself. I've just had to tell it where the daemon for mounting the iso was located.

I have a need for multiple audio and sub tracks, and I prefer the DVD navigation to select those instead of the popup menu in MPC-HC. And since a full DVD is still less, in disk space, than one of my BluRay reencode, I don't waste time anymore converting them.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #17 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WHS 2011 + FlexRAID. Simple, safe, cheap ($53; FlexRAID is free) that gives fault tolerance against a single driver failure. Or UnRAID ($119)

I read a little about FlexRAID before, and just looked at it again... ok so it is free, but it expires quickly until a new release is out? What if they don't continue to make releases? All of your data just vanishes? Basically it looks like it is JBOD + Parity to allow for a drive failure. But if say my system crashes and I have to re-install windows or something, all of the drives are still usable inidividually?

So first create a storage pool, then a snapshot raid? But I can't use a snapshot raid like a normal raided drive because some things don't sync right?
post #18 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:

I read a little about FlexRAID before, and just looked at it again... ok so it is free, but it expires quickly until a new release is out? What if they don't continue to make releases? All of your data just vanishes? Basically it looks like it is JBOD + Parity to allow for a drive failure. But if say my system crashes and I have to re-install windows or something, all of the drives are still usable inidividually?

So first create a storage pool, then a snapshot raid? But I can't use a snapshot raid like a normal raided drive because some things don't sync right?

Flexraid doesn't touch your data. It work at the file level. All that it does is generate a parity checksum of all your data on a spare drive. That way in case of failure of a drive it can rebuild a new one from the rest of your data + the parity.

You can remove flexraid from your system anytime and it has no impact whatsoever.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #19 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so that answers the question of the expiration issue.

What about general usage? From what I'm reading, once you enable snapshot raid to a storage pool, there are some limitations on how the parity works? (Like editing files?)
post #20 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Back to the question. The easiest think to use is MakeMKV or DVDFab. I use DVDFab BluRay ripper because mkv format doesn't support pcm audio, so with DVDFab you have the option to rip to m2tsassthrough instead which is basically the same thing except instead of a mkv file, you end up with an m2ts and the subs are embedded instead of idx/sub files.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Ok so here is my situation. I have, over time, backed up all of my blu-rays onto my HTPC using AnyDVD-HD. They are complete ISO's. However, I am going to remove the storage part of my HTPC into a NAS, and am also out of space. So I think now I want to convert all of my ISOs into MKV Files that I would like to play over a gigabit network connection. (Using a seperate storage NAS and a player)

I do not want to degrade the audio or video quality of the blu ray. I want to just cut out extra audio tracks, etc. Basically everything except the movie and the DTS-MA audio track.

What software will do this the easiest, and what settings do I need to use for the conversion? I have read about a few but I really am just looking for ease of use and reliability. I can google a hundred guides but I'd rather ask this community based on your personal experience.

Also, what is the best way to play it over the network? I have tried just mounting an image over the network and it seems to jitter at times. I have had some success with MKV files I've tried out using the PS3 media server without issue as well. But I would like whatever player or media device it is to be able to play it at the best quality without any skipping.

I am sure this has been posted before, so forgive me for not spending more time searching.

I am interested to know if you were trying to stream Bluray ISO's over the network to a Media Center Extender using My Movies? I was trying to figure out if My Movies was capable of this. Also, I found this tidbit of information about converting MKV to DVR-MS so Media Center Extenders can access the content.

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...er-tips-923614

6. Convert MKV files for use with an extender

If you want to use Media Extenders with Media Center, you'll have problems playing back MKV files because most extenders don't support them.

However, if you convert the files to DVR-MS format they'll play back perfectly. Install DVRMSToolbox from www.*******/9UeuaL and launch 'DVRMSto MPEGSetting' from the Start menu. Select 'Convert MKV to DVR-MS - mencoder' and click 'Edit Profile'.

Select 'Read metadata from TvDB and build Sage XML file' and click 'Configure'. Tick the box marked 'Continue on fail' and click 'OK'. Now select 'Move the file specified in Context...' and click 'Configure'.

Uncheck all the boxes and enter your desired conversion destination. Click 'OK' and save the profile, then launch 'DVRMStoMPEGGUI', select the MKV file that you want to convert, specify an output file, choose the profile you want to use and then click 'Run' to convert it.
post #22 of 24 Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I originally tried to stream ISOs over the network but was having issues with juttering. That was just a direct ISO mount with TMT.

Another issue I am trying to wrap my head around is that my existing server's motherboad died. My current storage consists of 2 raid cards with 8 drives each. But they are pretty old now. (PCI Cards)

What I'm running into is that when I'm trying to plug in my RocketRaid card (so that I can get the data off of it) it is disabling the BIOS sata controller, so I can't actually get into an OS to access the data. I also picked up 4 3tb drives from WD Mybook deals at Costco for $99 ea.

So now I have 4x 3tb drives I can use in some new system (Be it freenas, unraid, whs 2001) And about 16 tb in my old systems. Trying to figure out how I'm going to get the data from the old raids to the new one (whatever it is)
post #23 of 24 Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

So now I have 4x 3tb drives I can use in some new system (Be it freenas, unraid, whs 2001) And about 16 tb in my old systems. Trying to figure out how I'm going to get the data from the old raids to the new one (whatever it is)

RAID is all good and well, but don't forget physical data protection; meaning drive damage due to drops (not really likely but can happen), fire, natural disasters etc. For something like that, nothing works except a backup in a separate location. Since you have 16GB of data, I would suggest making a copy of your current data and keeping the drives at your work or some one's house.
post #24 of 24 Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Ok so that answers the question of the expiration issue.

What about general usage? From what I'm reading, once you enable snapshot raid to a storage pool, there are some limitations on how the parity works? (Like editing files?)

Well, since we use it for files that won't really change once they are saved on the drive, I don't know what you really mean?

I even flag my media as Read Only once they are finalized (saved with their metadata).

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
Reply Home Theater Computers