Resolution on HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using my PC as my primary media center for several years now and I have also been using a 27" monitor as the display for the same duration. I just upgraded my "display" to a 42" Panny (42ST30), but with the resolution all the way up (as I had it with my 27" monitor) the picture is acually too large for the TV... which is weird since I have a 15" larger display. I thought it was the TV mode being in "Zoom," but it was in "Full" and all other modes )(except 4:3) have the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the picture to fit proeprly on the screen (I've tried different resolutions, but none of them fit the screen "normally").

FYI, my PC/TV specs:
Pannasonic 42ST30 (1080p)
Core I7 2600k
Asus GeForce GTX 560 TI
8 GB Memory
128 GB SSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM

play with "overscan"or "underscan" setting in nvidia control panel.

Also set TV to "Screen Fit" if it has such a setting
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
You need to set the PC resolution to 1080x1920 specifically. If you just slide the slider all the way over, that may not be what you are getting.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Look in your TV's Picture menu, most Panasonics have a HD size setting, use size 2 setting to give you 1:1 pixel mapping.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 04:52 PM

The issue has to be with the display settings. Leave the Nvidia setting to automatic as far as what to report to the display (overscan, underscan, automatic). You should have a setting for "1:1" or "dot by dot" on the display. Also, make sure you are using 16-235 (video broadcast standard) for video on your display. 0-255 is the normal setting for computers and this will washout the blacks on the display.

Check out what was suggested above, but also realize that WMC 7 overscans regardless of your settings if you selected flat panel as your display type in WMC 7 setup. You need to set the display type to television in WMC 7 to stop the overscan. If you setup the display properly you will see corners around the UI elements because they all moved closer together due to the elimination of the overscan. You can push the UI elements back out to the corners of the display with a very simple registry modification (this will also fix the blue boarder around TMT5 if it is integrated into WMC 7). See the link below for the explanation. Simple fact is that if you set the display type to flat panel in WMC 7 the image will overscan and you will not be seeing 1:1 pixel mapping.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/m...7-media-center

To push the UI elements back out to the corners after getting rid of overscan, you can modify the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVers ion\\Media Center\\Settings\\MCE.PerUserSettings]

"marginLeft"=dword:00000000

"marginTop"=dword:00000000

"marginRight"=dword:00000000

"marginBottom"=dword:00000000

"marginSaved"=dword:00000001

"useDefaultOverscanMargins"=dword:00000000

All this does is move the UI elements back to the corners.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post

The issue has to be with the display settings. Leave the Nvidia setting to automatic as far as what to report to the display (overscan, underscan, automatic). You should have a setting for "1:1" or "dot by dot" on the display. Also, make sure you are using 16-235 (video broadcast standard) for video on your display. 0-255 is the normal setting for computers and this will washout the blacks on the display.

Check out what was suggested above, but also realize that WMC 7 overscans regardless of your settings if you selected flat panel as your display type in WMC 7 setup. You need to set the display type to television in WMC 7 to stop the overscan. If you setup the display properly you will see corners around the UI elements because they all moved closer together due to the elimination of the overscan. You can push the UI elements back out to the corners of the display with a very simple registry modification (this will also fix the blue boarder around TMT5 if it is integrated into WMC 7). See the link below for the explanation. Simple fact is that if you set the display type to flat panel in WMC 7 the image will overscan and you will not be seeing 1:1 pixel mapping.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/m...7-media-center

To push the UI elements back out to the corners after getting rid of overscan, you can modify the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVers ion\\Media Center\\Settings\\MCE.PerUserSettings]

"marginLeft"=dword:00000000

"marginTop"=dword:00000000

"marginRight"=dword:00000000

"marginBottom"=dword:00000000

"marginSaved"=dword:00000001

"useDefaultOverscanMargins"=dword:00000000

All this does is move the UI elements back to the corners.

The ST30 series is capable of showing 0-255 to my knowledge...it works great on mine at least. All of my settings are set for 0-255. In the tv, it's under color space as "enhanced" as I recall.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

Look in your TV's Picture menu, most Panasonics have a HD size setting, use size 2 setting to give you 1:1 pixel mapping.

+1

I actually happened to stumble across this when I was troubleshooting after work and it did exactly what I wanted.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

[SOLVED]
post #8 of 8 Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

The ST30 series is capable of showing 0-255 to my knowledge...it works great on mine at least. All of my settings are set for 0-255. In the tv, it's under color space as "enhanced" as I recall.

Even if your TV is capable of displaying 0-255 you still do not want it because all movies and TV programs are mastered and meant to be displayed in 16-235. Your TV only supports 0-255 so you can use PC programs on the TV. If you are watching TV programs or movies on your TV played by your computer (HTPC) then your TV should be set to 16-235. If you are playing computer games on your TV then your TV should be set to 0-255.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page