Whats the best HTPC software for large collection? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a HTPC with Quad core Q6600, 8GB ram, 14TB HD's, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers with a ATI HD 6870 (hd-687a-zddc) graphics card, running 3 displays 24" monitor via mini display port/DVI, 42" Samsung Plamsa via DVI/HDMI, 42" Sony LCD HDMI/HDMI.

My HTPC media collection consist of mainly old & current Boxing/MMA matches. Documentaries, TV season packs/Live TV recorded from SKY uk & DVD/Bluray Movies in avi/mkv format & Mp3/FLAC music/music videos.

Now my problem is that each category spans several drives & quite frankly has become a nightmare to navigate in Vista Media Center as is but I been told about a few plugins for VMC that could make life easy by automating adding posters & info etc.. in a large collection.

I would like something that could allow me to create say a Documentary category the span multiple folders/drives & put all of them under virtual headings E.G. Documentarys/Sport/MoVies/Music Videos with posters & info. I would also love to create playlists for my music video's just like I can with MP3's

XBMC has already been recommended to me but I have not tried it as I read that It doesn't have tuner support nor does it utilise my graphics card GPU.

Tried Media browser but after it spent over 13hrs scanning folders/drives I gave up thinking that maybe the collection was too large for it to work on.

Can anyone advise me as to what would be the best software/plugin combination would be most suitable to achieve the above aims?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 AM

I use media browser. When I started using it, I had hundreds of movies, and 20 seasons worth of TV episodes (different series). If the collection is large enough, it will take a while. I've heard the newest release (codename Hydra i think) is suppose to make that part of the program work faster. There are people with thousands of movies and TV episodes using Mediabrowser with no problem.
I wouldn't give up on it. Maybe just add one drive at a time, or 1 genre.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I hear a lot of talk about Media Browser, but MyMovies doesn't seem to come up much. Is MyMovies that weak of a program? I find it quite good.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I hear a lot of talk about Media Browser, but MyMovies doesn't seem to come up much. Is MyMovies that weak of a program? I find it quite good.

Have you tried mediabrowser? Try both and see which one you prefer.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Maybe MB is more popular because it's free? I've been using MM for a long time and I like their layout better, to each his own.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some of the media browser themes have a display option thats very similar. When I get a chance I will post some pics.

Posting from my phone. Hope this pic shows up. This is from my htpc.

You can change the look of the movie poster too. Here I have it with rounded edges and at an angle.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by little.dread.1 View Post

Tried Media browser but after it spent over 13hrs scanning folders/drives I gave up thinking that maybe the collection was too large for it to work on.

I started to post in this thread but thought it might be better as a topic.

It's a speed comparison of our software vs iTunes and WMP.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21258607

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

I started to post in this thread but thought it might be better as a topic.

It's a speed comparison of our software vs iTunes and WMP.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21258607

That's fine but if you are only using these players for video - as many of us are - then I don't see how 100,000 files is applicable.

After the first run loading my files it is almost instant loading the second time and every other time after that.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you have 600 files, you don't really need a fast database.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Old 11-25-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Hmm, I believe XBMC does have PVR tuner support and it definitely has hardware acceleration.

I recommend XBMC wholeheartedly. It's by far the easiest to set up and most user friendly. It is also far more developed than media browser.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackus Jack View Post

It's by far the easiest to set up

Couldn't disagree more.

And no, XBMC doesn't have tuner support. At least not that I am aware of.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Nothing wrong with MM as I have tried it myself on a test machine; it works good, but to make use of it in WMC you're forced to update W7 to SP1 (latest version), which some users have had problems with and had broken some features within WMC (myself included). Plus some features require points to make the most use of the software. I refuse to install SP1 on my machine since it runs fine as is.

I'm using MB on my current HTPC and works very well. No issues so far.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Couldn't disagree more.

And no, XBMC doesn't have tuner support. At least not that I am aware of.

The process has been greatly simplified from earlier version. When you factor in codecs, scrapers and MediaBrowser you have as much configuration to do than with XBMC, but XBMC is a cleaner solution. It is also quite a bit faster when dealing with large collection.

Plus, XBMC has better music and addons than WMC+MB does.

I believe the tuner/dvr is being worked on, but it may be quite a way off since they tend to think multi-plateform in the design of XBMC, while WMC has only one OS to contend with.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMenard View Post

The process has been greatly simplified from earlier version. When you factor in codecs, scrapers and MediaBrowser you have as much configuration to do than with XBMC, but XBMC is a cleaner solution. It is also quite a bit faster when dealing with large collection.

Plus, XBMC has better music and addons than WMC+MB does.

I believe the tuner/dvr is being worked on, but it may be quite a way off since they tend to think multi-plateform in the design of XBMC, while WMC has only one OS to contend with.

I can setup Media Browser with all codecs (which bitstream HD Audio btw --- something else XBMC can't do) in less than 5 minutes.

I have a relatively large collection (over 500 movies and shows) located on 1 HTPC but shared by a second HTPC. The "quite a bit faster" comment no longer applies with Hydra. There is no lag at all.

For music I will agree. Media Browser and WMC is lacking although this is in development.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I can setup Media Browser with all codecs (which bitstream HD Audio btw --- something else XBMC can't do) in less than 5 minutes.

I have a relatively large collection (over 500 movies and shows) located on 1 HTPC but shared by a second HTPC. The "quite a bit faster" comment no longer applies with Hydra. There is no lag at all.

For music I will agree. Media Browser and WMC is lacking although this is in development.

Oh there is lag... I have 14 terrabytes worth of movies, music and TV series... WMC+MB feel sluggish. Those are local drives, not on a Lan. The skins are also subpar to XBMC. Throg did a good job with his pack (I did buy it), but they mostly are the same theme with just a few tiny difference between them.

BTW, XBMC (Dharma) is a breeze to setup and Eden will be even better. You should try it again. No driver issues, no tweak to do, no need for an external player. The last one applies to me since I use Flac and not DTS-HD in my mkv rip.

You also get better skin, more addons and a more active community to support you.

And last, XBMC is totally free and so are the skins and addons.

Not don't take this post the wrong way...

I do like MB and I've used it on and off for the last 2 years or so. But it just isn't in the same league as XBMC. MB is being dragged down by WMC and really doesn't reach his potential until you configure and use an external player and some tweak, which in the end make it less attractive than a complete, stand alone solution like XBMC.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just to clarify something : XBMC with PVR : http://xbmc.opdenkamp.eu/ . Needs a backend like the MediaPortal TV Server . And you need an external player for XBMC if you plan on bitstreaming HD audio. And MB runs fine because you have a Core i3 CPU, have fun getting 500 movies on a Zacate and MB to run smoothly. XBMC is smooth with over 350 movies in my library on that puny CPU/GPU , using a more heavy skin like Aeon MQ3
Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Liked: 17
I use MC7 with MediaBrowser. I have 1075 movies and 50 TV Series (all HD).. it all loads in under 10 seconds after launching MediaBrowser. After it loads, it's is super smooth and I've never had any slow downs browsing the collection. Everything is stored on my WHS box connected with gigabit ethernet.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Just to clarify something : XBMC with PVR : http://xbmc.opdenkamp.eu/ . Needs a backend like the MediaPortal TV Server . And you need an external player for XBMC if you plan on bitstreaming HD audio. And MB runs fine because you have a Core i3 CPU, have fun getting 500 movies on a Zacate and MB to run smoothly. XBMC is smooth with over 350 movies in my library on that puny CPU/GPU , using a more heavy skin like Aeon MQ3

I am not even sure why anyone would build zacate anymore. The money savings really isn't there over a SB Celeron + H61 and the energy savings really isn't there either (I have 2 machines which idle at 25-35 watts and 1 if those is a i3 2100).

So mine is smooth and I didn't have to compromise anything at all including cost.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post

I use MC7 with MediaBrowser. I have 1075 movies and 50 TV Series (all HD).. it all loads in under 10 seconds after launching MediaBrowser. After it loads, it's is super smooth and I've never had any slow downs browsing the collection. Everything is stored on my WHS box connected with gigabit ethernet.

That's been my experience as well.

Hydra fixed a whole lot of issues for a lot of people.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMenard View Post

No driver issues, no tweak to do, no need for an external player. The last one applies to me since I use Flac and not DTS-HD in my mkv rip.

Just so you know, you can use FLAC, or whatever other audio codec in WMC's native player. All you have to do is enable it with the Windows 7 Direct Show Filter Changer. I have many MKV's with FLAC, TrueHD, DTS-HD, AC3, that all play fine in WMC. I use FFDshow and/or receiver side decoding pass-thru. The only place I see a need to launch an external player would be native Blu-ray or HDDVD iso's.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't imagine anything being easier to use and better for any size collection than XBMC.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:

FYI, you can easily use the pre Eden w/ DSPlayer build to bitstream HD audio. After some initial tweaking of the filters (either ffdshow audio or lav audio), it will play everything you throw at it with no glitches. The guy that is merging DSPlayer with the latest nightlies, 0wing, stays on top of it pretty well even though there's supposedly no support. Truth be told, DSPlayer doesn't need a whole lot of support. The player works fine and it's highly configurable with the latest filters like lav filters, which are updated and supported.

DSPlayer is not an external player, it's built in just like the normal player, but more configurable. Add in plugins to stream Hulu+, Amazon Prime, MLB.tv and Netflix, and there's really no comparison. I can launch to any one of my favorite HD Hulu shows right from the main menu.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 PM

I have 26 TBs of movies, music and TV shows spread over 12 drives on four computers. My XBMC is ready to play 4 seconds after I click the shortcut on my taskbar.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubwerks View Post

I have 26 TBs of movies, music and TV shows spread over 12 drives on four computers. My XBMC is ready to play 4 seconds after I click the shortcut on my taskbar.

Are you guys really going to argue 4 seconds vs 10 seconds?

Can't wait. Popcorn ready.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just to clarify something : XBMC with PVR : http://xbmc.opdenkamp.eu/ . Needs a backend like the MediaPortal TV Server . And you need an external player for XBMC if you plan on bitstreaming HD audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubwerks View Post

FYI, you can easily use the pre Eden w/ DSPlayer build to bitstream HD audio. After some initial tweaking of the filters (either ffdshow audio or lav audio), it will play everything you throw at it with no glitches. The guy that is merging DSPlayer with the latest nightlies, 0wing, stays on top of it pretty well even though there's supposedly no support. Truth be told, DSPlayer doesn't need a whole lot of support. The player works fine and it's highly configurable with the latest filters like lav filters, which are updated and supported.

DSPlayer is not an external player, it's built in just like the normal player, but more configurable. Add in plugins to stream Hulu+, Amazon Prime, MLB.tv and Netflix, and there's really no comparison. I can launch to any one of my favorite HD Hulu shows right from the main menu.

So wait... how is this easier to setup and use than Media Browser?

Did I miss something?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 185
XBMC is by far and away the best htpc front end. I used to use Mediabrowser and it doesn't compare in any way. I almost bought a new computer after how slow Mediabrowser was, then I tried xbmc and realized my computer wasn't slow, it was Mediabrowser.

What makes xbmc the best:
-FAST (it look Mediabrowser 8-10 seconds just to load all my files and it had to do this EVERYTIME it was restarted. xbmc only takes as long as it takes the program to open and boot which is about 1.5 seconds)
-Looks great
-Plays everything without codecs
-Plays packed rars
-Every little feature is customizable
-Content scraper is more robust. Mediabrowser chokes when trying to scrape tv shows with dates instead of season/episode number. It also won't scrape shows that are in a folder inside of another folder, or has no season folder at all.
-Auto refresh change for 24p content
-Amazing plugins! (SportsDevil, ESPN, Hulu, MTV, G4TV, Navi-X, Free Cable, Revision 3, Icefilms, just to name a few)
-Did I mention it was lightening fast?

I still have to use WMC for dvr, but for everything else it's xbmc.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Are you guys really going to argue 4 seconds vs 10 seconds?

Can't wait. Popcorn ready.

haha, I must be doing something wrong, because even after 4 seconds with a SSD & Intel i3, XBMC is still loading all the plugins. Clearly he is god.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

XBMC is by far and away the best htpc front end. I used to use Mediabrowser and it doesn't compare in any way. I almost bought a new computer after how slow Mediabrowser was, then I tried xbmc and realized my computer wasn't slow, it was Mediabrowser.

What makes xbmc the best:
-FAST (it look Mediabrowser 8-10 seconds just to load all my files and it had to do this EVERYTIME it was restarted. xbmc only takes as long as it takes the program to open and boot which is about 1.5 seconds)
HI-Looks great
-Plays everything without codecs
-Plays packed rars
-Every little feature is customizable
-Content scraper is more robust. Mediabrowser chokes when trying to scrape tv shows with dates instead of season/episode number. It also won't scrape shows that are in a folder inside of another folder, or has no season folder at all.
-Auto refresh change for 24p content
-Amazing plugins! (SportsDevil, ESPN, Hulu, MTV, G4TV, Navi-X, Free Cable, Revision 3, Icefilms, just to name a few)
-Did I mention it was lightening fast?

I still have to use WMC for dvr, but for everything else it's xbmc.

Did you try hydra? Also I don't recommend using the internal media browser scraper.