HTPC WMC Live TV viewing problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may not be the right place to ask this, but I've scoured the internet and haven't found a working solution yet.

Windows Media Center gives an error when trying to play live TV over an HDMI connection to a Samsung PN43D430 TV. The player comes up with a live picture of the correct channel then says "Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart computer." - neither of which work of course. Playing "Internet TV" is just fine over HDMI, as is Netflix.

Several "solutions" that I've seen have involved replacing the Nvidia HDMI Audio driver (done, didn't help), Setting Windows to 2.0 sound and WMC to 5.1 (also done, didn't help), disabling WMC in Windows Features and reinstalling it (done, completely new setup, didn't help).

I noticed that the speaker "Test" in the Media setup doesn't produce a sound, but moving the mouse does. So the system sounds are fine. Again "Internet TV" plays fine and with sound.

I tried the Windows Media Center troubleshooters which made no difference.

The SiliconDust HDHomerun Tuners also feed a second PC which plays live TV on its local monitor with its local speakers with no problems.

The system is fully updated via Windows Update and from the manufacturer support site.

Computer details:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Ethernet connection
Tuner: SiliconDust HDhomerun
Zbox HD-ND22
Crucial 64GB SSD
4GB 1333 Samsung RAM

TV:
Samsung PN43D430 connected directly via HDMI, no other components in the way.

(Probably buying a 5.1 system to put between them if I can ever get this working... but really don't want to invest in it before I get my last purchase, the TV, up and running completely.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'd look first to codec issue.

Shark's codec pack works well with MCE (http://shark007.net/)
post #3 of 20 Old 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Shark's codecs actually seem to have broken my ability to play back movie files. WMC just closes now when I try top play .avi or .mkv files. Going to uninstall when I get home and see if the functionality returns.

I switched from HDMI audio to plain stereo audio via the 3.5mm jack on the unit and TV seems to be working now. Just ordered an optical audio cable, so I'll try that next when it arrives.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Check your video card drivers. I've found that different driver versions can cause this to happen, especially if the card provides both audio and video via HDMI.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Liked: 13
You seem to have a conflict somewhere, I get that message when opening WMC while WMP is playing. My guess is something is open that is using the same codec or your codecs are screwed up. If you cant pinpoint it then uninstall everything you can find that might be related and reinstall only what you need.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-30-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You mentioned nvidia drivers but didn't list any card. If you are on nvidia try installing an old driver. The newer one gave me a black screen. Also I would uninstall all codecs. You may need to use something like win7 filter tweeker to set everything back to normal if you had codecs installed.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 AM

Liked: 11
hey man, i just ran into this last night and the fix for me was pretty simple. go into the properties for your HDMI audio and find the advanced tab. there should be two checkboxes for "exclusive" access to WMC for audio, or something to that effect. uncheck those and you should be good to go. i was able to uncheck both boxes and switch my HDMI back to 5.1 and all was well.

if you aren't able to find those checkboxes, i can give you the exact steps when i get home from work. i had the exact same problem and found that fix buried on a board somewhere and it worked for everyone that had posted.
chizow likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Remove SP1, mine was working fine until I installed SP 1, and I started getting the same message. Removed SP1 and the errors went away.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
SP1 probably had an incompatible updated video driver in it so you probably didn't need to un-install SP1 but rather just roll back the video driver.

post #10 of 20 Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

You mentioned nvidia drivers but didn't list any card. If you are on nvidia try installing an old driver. The newer one gave me a black screen. Also I would uninstall all codecs. You may need to use something like win7 filter tweeker to set everything back to normal if you had codecs installed.

Hey whiteboy! I've been out for a while. Hadn't seen this win7 filter tweeker discussed before. Where does one procure such a thing and is there a good explanation as to its use?

post #11 of 20 Old 12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbs2186 View Post

Shark's codecs actually seem to have broken my ability to play back movie files. WMC just closes now when I try top play .avi or .mkv files. Going to uninstall when I get home and see if the functionality returns.

Hm, there is a problem somewhere else with your system. Have you installed any other codecs earlier or later?

If so, you may have a conflict. But for a clean system, Shark's pack works very well and covers virtually all media. It's also possible there is something screwed up in the Shark settings, so take a look at those.

Otherwise, try to uninstall Shark's pack (properly), then see if the video works.

It may be a video card driver, but I'd still bet on a codec issue.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM

I had this exact same issue and it was related to the video card driver. I rolled back to the original driver that came with the motherboard and everything worked fine after that. I assume that you are dealing with a integrated GPU, which means it is probably using a proprietary driver for the motherboard and HDMI output. I have tested every new driver Nvidia has released for my GPU and none of them work except for the original driver that came with the motherboard.

Also, unless you need something specific in Shark007's codec pack do not use it. Try to find a solution that will install only the codec you need. Also, if you are using Shark007 due to the x64 components you do not need to install a x64 codec with x64 Windows 7 Media Center. x64 Windows 7 Media Center uses the 32-bit Windows Media Player by default. I enabled FLAC playback in x64 Windows 7 Media Center with 32-bit MadFLAC v1.10 and WMP Tag Plus plugin.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Try this. Go into Media Center setup and disable sounds I don't have time t 'splain now. Should work.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatez View Post

hey man, i just ran into this last night and the fix for me was pretty simple. go into the properties for your HDMI audio and find the advanced tab. there should be two checkboxes for "exclusive" access to WMC for audio, or something to that effect. uncheck those and you should be good to go. i was able to uncheck both boxes and switch my HDMI back to 5.1 and all was well.

if you aren't able to find those checkboxes, i can give you the exact steps when i get home from work. i had the exact same problem and found that fix buried on a board somewhere and it worked for everyone that had posted.

I had the exact same issue, and this solution worked for me as well. My setup was working fine until I introduced an Onkyo HDMI receiver into the mix, as well as an ATI HDMI video card. I'd been frustrated for a month or so trying different solutions when clicking that check box fixed everything. I'd recommend this first before doing anything else.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatez View Post

This solution worked for me as well with WMC, Silicon Dust HD Home Run and Nvidia HDMI audio, saved me a bunch of troubleshooting, thanks!
post #16 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Liked: 13
in the two years of having an htpc ive never encountered/heard of this problem until now.... and now i'm seeing it discussed more and more. Must be a problem with a recent windows update. i fixed it (well at least is hasn't come back since) by updating my intel drivers to the newest version from the intel site. I'm using on board video ofcouse.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

in the two years of having an htpc ive never encountered/heard of this problem until now.... and now i'm seeing it discussed more and more. Must be a problem with a recent windows update. i fixed it (well at least is hasn't come back since) by updating my intel drivers to the newest version from the intel site. I'm using on board video ofcouse.

After the SP1 cause this same problem on my machine, I disbaled automatic updates. It it ain't broken, don't fix it.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #18 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatez View Post

Oooh, I'm having a similar problem since I added a Denon 2113 and a new graphics card to my HTPC (Nvidia GT 640) and had resigned myself to format/fresh install to rectify it. It only seems to happen when I resume from sleep on my setup.

As soon I get home from work I'm trying this solution though!!!

Might still be a good idea to format/install but I'm not overly keen, time poor at the moment, setting up the speakers/AVR have caused enough grief in the household!
post #19 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Try this. Go into Media Center setup and disable sounds I don't have time t 'splain now. Should work.

This is the time honored fix for this problem. Disabling the swoosh and beep and click sounds when you navigate WMC fixed this for me years ago.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
My only question is why is this a fix? How is it that it used to work, now it doesn't and now something that used to work needs to be disable and the problem solved.

Perhaps it is because I am new to computers, but it almost sounds as if these PCs have feelings and choose when to work correctly or not. By unchecking this box, what is it that I lose.

Again my Xbox extender works fine I hear the WMC jingle. I will fool around with my AVR and see if any setting might have changed accidentally.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page