Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All,
I recently go the LOTR extended edition blu-ray boxset. I rip all of my blu-rays so I wanted to be able to rip these extended edition blu-rays into 3 movies instead of 6. Each movie spans 2 discs so I wanted to be able to merge these 2 files together. Does anyone know how I can do this? I use eac3togui & anydvd to rip my blu-rays.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have the same boxset. You will need MergeMKV to merge the two files together, and read this post on how its done:

Merging the LOTR EE Movies
post #3 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip. Glad to know that mkv merge can do the job.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I usually rip all of my movies...

This series...I said screw it due to timelapse issues. I'd want a flawless transfer and having the times screw up would really piss me off. Furthermore, we are talking 200 gb for 3 movies. Space isn't a massive issue but I do have bigger priorities.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

I usually rip all of my movies...

This series...I said screw it due to timelapse issues. I'd want a flawless transfer and having the times screw up would really piss me off. Furthermore, we are talking 200 gb for 3 movies. Space isn't a massive issue but I do have bigger priorities.

From this I gather that you saw issues when you were trying to merge the 2 files? I was curious if there would be issues when trying to merge the 2 files together.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mkvmerge works, but depending on what playback software you are usining it may not be needed. If you name your files something like lotr-fotr1.mkv and lotr-fotr2.mkv and put them in the same folder, software like Mediabrowser will play it back as if it were one file.

No real advantage, just saves a little time.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

From this I gather that you saw issues when you were trying to merge the 2 files? I was curious if there would be issues when trying to merge the 2 files together.

I've watched the trilogy over the Thanksgiving weekend using MPC-HC as my player (from Mediabrowser) with each movie's two discs merged into one and played just fine with no problems (including the DTS MA audio). There's always a few seconds of black video until the second disc begins playing but has not been an issue for me.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I've watched the trilogy over the Thanksgiving weekend using MPC-HC as my player (from Mediabrowser) with each movie's two discs merged into one and played just fine with no problems (including the DTS MA audio). There's always a few seconds of black video until the second disc begins playing but has not been an issue for me.

+1

About a 3 second gap. Beats the 5 minute gap of getting up and switching discs.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

Mkvmerge works, but depending on what playback software you are usining it may not be needed. If you name your files something like lotr-fotr1.mkv and lotr-fotr2.mkv and put them in the same folder, software like Mediabrowser will play it back as if it were one file.

No real advantage, just saves a little time.

Cool, I didn't know it would do this. I use mediabrowser and MPC-HC to view and playback my rips. Can someone point me to the steps they took to merge The Two Towers? I found steps for ROTK but did not come across steps for TTT.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Did you use the steps on the slysoft forum to merge the 2 discs together? I am going to merge FOTR tonight using the link provided in the thread and I was able to find steps to merge ROTK but I am unable to find any for TT.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Did you use the steps on the slysoft forum to merge the 2 discs together? I am going to merge FOTR tonight using the link provided in the thread and I was able to find steps to merge ROTK but I am unable to find any for TT.

Yes it was steps I used for merging the two discs. I didn't trim the discs for TT nor ROTK as it wasn't necessary and it played back flawlessly. What you do for FOTR you do the same for the other two movies, minus the trimming.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I have a mini project to do this afternoon. Thanks all.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 AM

I ripped separate MKV's using AnotherEAC3TOGuiPlus, and then merged them using mkvmerge and they've worked great. I didn't even bother with the more elaborate instructions in the link provided, just did a simple merge and it was fine.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM

if your using Media Browser and MPC-HC as an external player,you don't need to merge them.
Simply renamed the second part of movie the same as first but change extension to mk2
then in MPC-HC add mk2 to the mkv extensions and it will play both parts as a single file and you can skip back and forth between them using fastfoward or rewind buttons to quickly go to start of each file.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodydrake View Post

if your using Media Browser and MPC-HC as an external player,you don't need to merge them.
Simply renamed the second part of movie the same as first but change extension to mk2
then in MPC-HC add mk2 to the mkv extensions and it will play both parts as a single file and you can skip back and forth between them using fastfoward or rewind buttons to quickly go to start of each file.

Thanks for that tip. I do use mediabrowser and mpc-hc.

I tried just merging them and it worked out fine on FOTR. This will save me a bit of time as I already have then in 2 parts. Thanks again all.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I tried using the mk2 extension with MB and MPC-HC and I am only able to play 1 of the files. I have both in the same folder and named exactly the same with the second part having .mk2 extension instead of .mkv. I have added .mk2 to the list of mkv support formats in mpc-hc and still no luck. Anything I could be doing wrong?
post #17 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

with the mergemkv, does the movie play seamlessly without a gap? Or is there still a pause/blank screen?
post #18 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Without trimming the files and just merging the 2 created there is a gap (black screen) between both movies. Good thing about this is a way to signal an intermission and take a potty break
post #19 of 19 Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

I just ripped the fellowship discs with MakeMKV and when I tried to play the movie an error came up in media browser saying: Content Error, check the location exists...

I checked the box in MB saying to treat multiple files in a folder as a single movie. However, when I uncheck it, it plays through MB to MPC-HC. But when I leave it unchecked, the folder shows 2 media files as the movie and not the coverart and the metadata does not show up. But I can launch it and it will play.

I use MB and MPC-HC to playback.

The structure I used was:

D:\\Movies\\Lord of the Rings Trilogy\\The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Part 1 (2001)

and

D:\\Movies\\Lord of the Rings Trilogy\\The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Part 2 (2001)

What did I do wrong? MB doesnt seem to "see" these MKV files...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page