Merging MKVs - LOTR Extended Edition Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All,
I recently go the LOTR extended edition blu-ray boxset. I rip all of my blu-rays so I wanted to be able to rip these extended edition blu-rays into 3 movies instead of 6. Each movie spans 2 discs so I wanted to be able to merge these 2 files together. Does anyone know how I can do this? I use eac3togui & anydvd to rip my blu-rays.


Thx
utee05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
AVTechMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The State of Michigan
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have the same boxset. You will need MergeMKV to merge the two files together, and read this post on how its done:

Merging the LOTR EE Movies
AVTechMan is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the tip. Glad to know that mkv merge can do the job.
utee05 is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
bimmerfreak0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I usually rip all of my movies...

This series...I said screw it due to timelapse issues. I'd want a flawless transfer and having the times screw up would really piss me off. Furthermore, we are talking 200 gb for 3 movies. Space isn't a massive issue but I do have bigger priorities.
bimmerfreak0 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

I usually rip all of my movies...

This series...I said screw it due to timelapse issues. I'd want a flawless transfer and having the times screw up would really piss me off. Furthermore, we are talking 200 gb for 3 movies. Space isn't a massive issue but I do have bigger priorities.

From this I gather that you saw issues when you were trying to merge the 2 files? I was curious if there would be issues when trying to merge the 2 files together.
utee05 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Norwood MA
Posts: 5,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mkvmerge works, but depending on what playback software you are usining it may not be needed. If you name your files something like lotr-fotr1.mkv and lotr-fotr2.mkv and put them in the same folder, software like Mediabrowser will play it back as if it were one file.

No real advantage, just saves a little time.
davdev is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
AVTechMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The State of Michigan
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

From this I gather that you saw issues when you were trying to merge the 2 files? I was curious if there would be issues when trying to merge the 2 files together.

I've watched the trilogy over the Thanksgiving weekend using MPC-HC as my player (from Mediabrowser) with each movie's two discs merged into one and played just fine with no problems (including the DTS MA audio). There's always a few seconds of black video until the second disc begins playing but has not been an issue for me.
AVTechMan is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
clubwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I've watched the trilogy over the Thanksgiving weekend using MPC-HC as my player (from Mediabrowser) with each movie's two discs merged into one and played just fine with no problems (including the DTS MA audio). There's always a few seconds of black video until the second disc begins playing but has not been an issue for me.

+1

About a 3 second gap. Beats the 5 minute gap of getting up and switching discs.
clubwerks is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

Mkvmerge works, but depending on what playback software you are usining it may not be needed. If you name your files something like lotr-fotr1.mkv and lotr-fotr2.mkv and put them in the same folder, software like Mediabrowser will play it back as if it were one file.

No real advantage, just saves a little time.

Cool, I didn't know it would do this. I use mediabrowser and MPC-HC to view and playback my rips. Can someone point me to the steps they took to merge The Two Towers? I found steps for ROTK but did not come across steps for TTT.
utee05 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I've watched the trilogy over the Thanksgiving weekend using MPC-HC as my player (from Mediabrowser) with each movie's two discs merged into one and played just fine with no problems (including the DTS MA audio). There's always a few seconds of black video until the second disc begins playing but has not been an issue for me.

Did you use the steps on the slysoft forum to merge the 2 discs together? I am going to merge FOTR tonight using the link provided in the thread and I was able to find steps to merge ROTK but I am unable to find any for TT.
utee05 is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
AVTechMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The State of Michigan
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Did you use the steps on the slysoft forum to merge the 2 discs together? I am going to merge FOTR tonight using the link provided in the thread and I was able to find steps to merge ROTK but I am unable to find any for TT.

Yes it was steps I used for merging the two discs. I didn't trim the discs for TT nor ROTK as it wasn't necessary and it played back flawlessly. What you do for FOTR you do the same for the other two movies, minus the trimming.
AVTechMan is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I have a mini project to do this afternoon. Thanks all.
utee05 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Member
 
riverhawk79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ripped separate MKV's using AnotherEAC3TOGuiPlus, and then merged them using mkvmerge and they've worked great. I didn't even bother with the more elaborate instructions in the link provided, just did a simple merge and it was fine.
riverhawk79 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Newbie
 
bloodydrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if your using Media Browser and MPC-HC as an external player,you don't need to merge them.
Simply renamed the second part of movie the same as first but change extension to mk2
then in MPC-HC add mk2 to the mkv extensions and it will play both parts as a single file and you can skip back and forth between them using fastfoward or rewind buttons to quickly go to start of each file.
bloodydrake is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodydrake View Post

if your using Media Browser and MPC-HC as an external player,you don't need to merge them.
Simply renamed the second part of movie the same as first but change extension to mk2
then in MPC-HC add mk2 to the mkv extensions and it will play both parts as a single file and you can skip back and forth between them using fastfoward or rewind buttons to quickly go to start of each file.

Thanks for that tip. I do use mediabrowser and mpc-hc.

I tried just merging them and it worked out fine on FOTR. This will save me a bit of time as I already have then in 2 parts. Thanks again all.
utee05 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried using the mk2 extension with MB and MPC-HC and I am only able to play 1 of the files. I have both in the same folder and named exactly the same with the second part having .mk2 extension instead of .mkv. I have added .mk2 to the list of mkv support formats in mpc-hc and still no luck. Anything I could be doing wrong?
utee05 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeff lam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
with the mergemkv, does the movie play seamlessly without a gap? Or is there still a pause/blank screen?
jeff lam is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Without trimming the files and just merging the 2 created there is a gap (black screen) between both movies. Good thing about this is a way to signal an intermission and take a potty break
utee05 is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
jeff lam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ripped the fellowship discs with MakeMKV and when I tried to play the movie an error came up in media browser saying: Content Error, check the location exists...

I checked the box in MB saying to treat multiple files in a folder as a single movie. However, when I uncheck it, it plays through MB to MPC-HC. But when I leave it unchecked, the folder shows 2 media files as the movie and not the coverart and the metadata does not show up. But I can launch it and it will play.

I use MB and MPC-HC to playback.

The structure I used was:

D:\\Movies\\Lord of the Rings Trilogy\\The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Part 1 (2001)

and

D:\\Movies\\Lord of the Rings Trilogy\\The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Part 2 (2001)

What did I do wrong? MB doesnt seem to "see" these MKV files...
jeff lam is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off