Originally Posted by reebzor
Hey, First Post!
So I'm not really a newbie when it comes to HTPC. I've had HTPC's since the good ol' MCE2005 days, I've experimented with Windows, boxee, xbmc, and for the past couple of years I've been using Plex. I've loved Plex, the things it does (organize media on server, play content) it does well. However, my requirements have changed a little. I like the idea of "apps" or plugins to stream video online, hulu, netflix, etc. but most importantly, I need access to NHL Gamecenter Live. Plex doesn't have any support for NHL, and the other plugins are mediocre at best. Another requirement will be accessing Live TV (with guide) from a cable card tuner (HDHomerun PRIME, Ceton), on multiple machines. Plex has no support or plans for this. My current setup is a Mac Mini, running plex. When I want to watch NHL, I quit plex and use a mouse to open browser (do not want to have to use mouse, must all be integrated and controlled with Harmony remote). When I watch tv, I have to switch over to my STB.
I need a set up that will allow me to have it all, so to speak. At this point, I dont care if it's Mac, Windows, Linux, whatever, I just need a box that will do what I want. Also, all my media is stored on a server, so I would be down for a little streaming box i.e. Roku, AppleTV
So far the options I've explored:Plex
- Does a great job with local (LAN) media files, plugins suck, no tvBoxee
- Interface is kind of lame, but the Plugins are nice. Doesn't seem to support HDHomerun Prime, also lacks the server-client model that I love about Plex -not a huge deal.XBMC
- Fairly similar issues that I have with Plex, lack luster plugins, no NHL Gamecenter, but it does look like people have gotten the MythTV frontend to work inside XBMC and with the HDHomerun Prime.Windows MCE
- Plex runs on MCE, will def support whatever tuner I want, but I need an interface for Gamecenter. Maybe I just havent found a good repository for MCE Plugins, but it doesnt look like there is much out there.AppleTV2
- I already own one, I like the Gamecenter, limited access to Plex (once I am able to JB it) but I will likely never be able to access an HDHomerun.Roku
- Plex support, NHL Gamecenter, other "apps", as of right now no LiveTV support. That is the only deal breaker with the Roku.Xbox360
- I also own one of these. This would support an HDHomerun, if I have a MCE computer on that this can extend from, but I still run into the issue of plugins.
An added bonus would be some sort of access to Emulators and Roms, from within whatever software I am running, but this is absolutely NOT a requirement.
Is there anything out there that is going to do exactly what I want? Am I missing anything in my assessment of whats out there? Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks