WMC7 doesn't see new channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Comcast just added a few channels (and removed some) but WMC is still using the old channel list. I ran the setup again and all that accomplished was reenabling all the sd channels I disabled and deleted my favorites list.

Is there a way to manually update the list or add the missing channels? In Vista there was an "add missing channels" option but amazingly they removed that in Windows 7.

I have a Hauppauge DCR-2650 and it has the correct channel list in the web interface (like a router control panel). Are there are other tuner programs I can use to see if I can get those channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

In Vista there was an "add missing channels" option but amazingly they removed that in Windows 7.

No, it's still there. WMC Tasks > Settings > Guide

You can also use Silicondust.com's channel page to see more-or-less what station is on what actual QAM channel. That helps a lot.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

its not there for me, Im using a cable card tuner, not QAM
post #4 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Sorry, wasn't looking at your tuner model number.

Between your device and the SDV tuning adapter, you shouldn't have to do anything. Channel changes should be remapped. Maybe have Comcast refresh your card??

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
usually takes a day or two for the guide to get updated with your cable companies changes. Guide data comes from Zap2it

post #6 of 13 Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

so the WMC guide dictates what channels you can see? The channels were added on the 8th, maybe it will update tomorrow.

When I look at the diagnostics of the tuner it shows the new channels and doesnt have the deleted channels, so the cablecard must be up to date. I think it must be a WMC issue not getting the new lineup.

edit: I went to zap2it and they don't list the new channels, so that must be it. I hope they update it soon.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I have the exact same situation except my new channels are showing in zap2it, but not showing in WMC7.

I've tried refreshing guide data and everything but to no success.

It won't let me manually add a channel. When I use the ceton utility to "tune" to a channel it says it successfully tunes it so it sees it, but the WMC7 guide won't let me go there.

Any ideas?

Go Broncos!
post #8 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

so the WMC guide dictates what channels you can see?

CableCard has the channel maps. Guide is just for you to see "what is on"

A channel in the guide will not work, if you don't have it in your package, which is what CableCard refers to.

As others said, your guide needs to be updated for you to see "what's on that channel" but if you go into CableCard diagnostics in WMC and type in the channel number of the channel that you are missing, you should see the actual channel that it is broadcast on (that information is stored on the CableCard) and you should see that program in a small window within the diagnostics page.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Its been a week since Zap2it updated their list to include the new channels and I still cant enable them in WMC, so something else is going on.

Quote:

CableCard has the channel maps. Guide is just for you to see "what is on"

A channel in the guide will not work, if you don't have it in your package, which is what CableCard refers to.

As others said, your guide needs to be updated for you to see "what's on that channel" but if you go into CableCard diagnostics in WMC and type in the channel number of the channel that you are missing, you should see the actual channel that it is broadcast on (that information is stored on the CableCard) and you should see that program in a small window within the diagnostics page.

I cannot enable the channel in the "edit channel list" screen, they arent there and the deleted ones which are no longer being broadcast still are. It shows all the channels Im not subscribed to so I dont see why that would be an issue.

The card itself has the correct channel line up (plus some extras for some reason), I checked in the tuner control panel thing you access like a router, but the new channels dont have labels (ie TBS) while the others do. WMC is using a totally outdated channel listing and wont update.

I'll try the diagnostic thing and see if I can see the channel there.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Its been a week since Zap2it updated their list to include the new channels and I still cant enable them in WMC, so something else is going on.

I cannot enable the channel in the "edit channel list" screen, they arent there and the deleted ones which are no longer being broadcast still are. It shows all the channels Im not subscribed to so I dont see why that would be an issue.

The card itself has the correct channel line up (plus some extras for some reason), I checked in the tuner control panel thing you access like a router, but the new channels dont have labels (ie TBS) while the others do. WMC is using a totally outdated channel listing and wont update.

I'll try the diagnostic thing and see if I can see the channel there.

EPG updates are broken for many people. See here:
http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind.../t/102357.aspx
post #11 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well the channels work in diagnostics
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorpsd View Post

EPG updates are broken for many people. See here:
http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind.../t/102357.aspx

That sounds pretty catastrophic, what happens if they don't update the guide? Best case scenario DVR stops working, worst case all channels cease to function?

Everyone is probably on vacation so I wouldn't expect it to be fixed before the 26th.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
sorry to revive a dead topic, but was this ever resolved? I'm having a very similar issue. running wmc7 with the dcr-2650 on comcast/cable card. beIN sport was added last Friday in my area, but still doesn't show up in the guide. I've checked zap2it, and it's not listed there either, even though I know it's been added (confirmed by comcast). I sent an email to zap2it, but in the meantime is there anything that can be done to just manually tune the channel? I will try going into the cable card diagnostics and see if I can see anything that way.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #13 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ok, so by going into the diagnostics I'm able to tune in the missing beIN channel (along with some others, 2 of which were added in mid august according to my bill). What is the best way to get these channels added to the guide? I figured they might just be slow with beIN since it was added on Friday, but 2 of the other channels were added on August 14th according to my bill but aren't found in the guide.

Is there any way to exit the diagnostic menu and watch those channels full screen in the meantime until the guide is updated?

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page