Time Warner Cable Central NY + Ceton = frustration. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a Ceton Infinitv on 11/25 and received it on 11/29 and still can't get it up and running because of Time Warner Cable.

After ordering, I got online and chatted with TW and was told I could go to my local office to pick up the tuning adapters and cable card. On the morning of the 29th, I went to my local TW office and they told me the only way to get a cablecard was to schedule an install. I was told that they never had cablecards in the local office. So I had them schedule me an install at a cost to me of $17.99. Install was setup for Saturday, Dec. 3, between 8-12 noon. Installer showed up about 9 and asked me what he was here for? I told him a cablecard, tuning adapter install. He said he didn't have that stuff so he called in to TW and got back to me and said they would have to try and order the those things and schedule another install. Later in the day I get a call from TW saying they ordered the tuning adapters and they will schedule the install for the next weekend to make sure I have them by the time they come back. I say ok, great. On Thursday, Dec. 8th. I received one tuning adapter via UPS. I called TW and told them that unless the tuning adapter supports 4 channels, I would need another one. I was told it should work but he will make a note for the installer to bring one. He said he was going to wave the install charge because I should have been able to get them at my local office. My install was scheduled for Fri., Dec. 9th between 5-9pm. As of 9pm, I called TW because nobody showed up. I waited on hold for 45mins before I got to talk to someone. I was told the install was set up but not completed so it was not sent out to an installer. I told them I am fed up and I'm not going to waste 4 hours waiting for them again. I asked them to ship me another tuning adapter and cablecard and I will install them myself. They finally agreed to do that and said I should get them by the middle of the week. On Monday, Dec. 12th I received a call from TW and they said they are out of tuning adapters so I won't be able to get one until they get more in. This is unbelievable. I think I may have to report this to the FCC but, I am not hopeful that will do any good. I'm still waiting and don't have any idea when I will get the Ceton up and running!

Update:

On Tuesday, Dec. 13th I received the cablecard and tunning adapter from TW. Called in to activate cablecard and the guy I spoke with seemed very knowledgeable. I was told I would only need one tunning adapter as they now support up to 6 tuners. Activated cablecard but still had trouble getting channels authorized. He told me he would have to get me a different cablecard. Now I have an appointment for service for Thursday between 8-10am. Wish me luck.

Update:

Thursday, Dec. 15th. replaced cablecard and everthing is working now! Finally! I must say, I really like the Ceton, Win 7 media center with xbox360s as extenders. Now I can return my TW cableboxes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Good to see TW is sticking to their customer service standard of screwing people around.

I went through pretty much exactly the same ordeal with TW in NE Ohio. I had to send an email half way up the chain of command to get that 2nd tuning adapter, complete with an excerpt from Ceton's website on why I would need one. The entire time I was amazed at how little anyone from TW knew about the Ceton card or TA's.

Your frustration may not end with this. I still have a few HD channels that can't be tuned because of low signal strength, and thats with 2 in line cable amplifiers.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Please open a support ticket with Ceton, and include the name, address and phone number on your TWC account. We will intervene and get you a CableCARD and TA.
cshaw88, feel free to open a ticket for your issue - tune to a problem channel and get a diag and attach that, please.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Liked: 11
I live in central NY as well and took almost a month and some change to get my ceton up and "running". (I say "running" because I'm still have some issues that have been documented with Ceton and they say they are working on for the beta release). If your in the Utica/Syracuse area you should only need 1 TA now. The update went out sometime this past summer for the TA's. I called TW customer service at least 3 separate times to try to get a cablecard install and they never even heard of them before. I will say though, the TW cablecard support is right on the ball with the infinitv 4 and have a lot of knowledge to get it up and running. I would suggest calling their department directly from now on for any support you would need. They were very helpful.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Please open a support ticket with Ceton, and include the name, address and phone number on your TWC account. We will intervene and get you a CableCARD and TA.
cshaw88, feel free to open a ticket for your issue - tune to a problem channel and get a diag and attach that, please.

Hmm, thought it was strickly a TW issue, I'll have to see if there is anything you guys can do.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 AM

I still have a few HD channels that can't be tuned because of low signal strength
post #7 of 9 Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have had a bad experience with Cablevision and their Tuning Adapters. I am using the HDHR Prime and not the Ceton. Usually after about a day the TA craps out and I end up missing recordings. Once I reboot the Prime and TA, all works well again, until a few days later when it happens again. It has definitely soured my experience with Cabelcard

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #8 of 9 Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
My experience with TWC was similar, although not as bad as OP's. I got the cable cards installed by the tech (this was before Ceton was available, or self installs) but he could not get any channels other than local.

And by "installed by the tech" I mean, I took the cards from him and inserted them in the ATI DCT's, as he has "never seen CableCards installed in a PC" I gave him the numbers that would let him pair it up over the phone.

Anyway, he calls his tech support, no one knows what is causing unavailability of other channels. I ask him if TWC implemented SDV. He says he does not know what it is.

Level 3 tech calls, the installer has no clue what the guy is saying. Level 3 asks to talk to me. I grab the phone thinking that it is some wierd accent that tech can understand. The guy is a local, American, tech, perfect English. He was trying to explain to the tech what SDV was and what he needed to do to get tuning adapter...

Long story short, they were out ot tuning adapters at the local office. And apparantely tuning adapters are sepcific to the local distribution, and can not be swapped from a different office. Level 3 shipped me his own Tuning adapter...

There are some good people at TWC, but unfortunately, they are not normally allowed to interact with cusotmers...

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

My experience with TWC was similar, although not as bad as OP's. I got the cable cards installed by the tech (this was before Ceton was available, or self installs) but he could not get any channels other than local.

And by "installed by the tech" I mean, I took the cards from him and inserted them in the ATI DCT's, as he has "never seen CableCards installed in a PC" I gave him the numbers that would let him pair it up over the phone.

Anyway, he calls his tech support, no one knows what is causing unavailability of other channels. I ask him if TWC implemented SDV. He says he does not know what it is.

Had to laugh at this, especially not knowing what SDV is. I couldn't believe that I had to know more about TW cable than 90% of their employees.

I've had TA's stall also, but luckily it's a pretty rare event for me, but seemed to be more common in the beginning. I've plugged the TA's into a seperate power strip so they can be power cycled pretty easily.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page