Old VGX-XL1A, New Life - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am posting this so that others who may have one of the Sony VGX-XL1A Digital Living System PC can have another resource if they choose to upgrade it. Sony does not provide much support for Windows 7, so the information is scattered and mostly trial and error. I have performed this twice and it does work. This is only my experience:
--------------------------------------

Installing *Windows 7, 32Bit OS on Sony Digital Living System PC VGX-XL1A

1) Install Windows 7, 32 Bit OS.

2) Install **Windows XP Marvell Wireless Driver from Sony Website.

3) Connect to WiFi network. Windows 7 will install a large portion of the drivers automatically.

4) Install ***Windows Vista MPEG driver from the Sony website.

5) Install ***Windows Vista Audio (SigmaTel) HD drivers from Sony website.

6) For fiber optic or Coax digital output, configure you Audio Output Channel to S/PDIF.

7) If you have installed additional Tuner cards such as a Clear QAM, ATSC, install the MFG drivers. Windows may recognize and install a basic driver which does not recognize the ATSC digital tuner.

*Windows 7, 64bit can not be installed. The Marvell driver specifically will not load in this OS.

**For Windows XP drivers installation, you must set the program Compatibility to XP SP2.

***For Windows Vista drivers installation, you must set the program Compatibility to Vista SP2.

>>Some notes regarding upgrading and maximizing the VGX-XL1A service life.

-The default Memory is 256MB. Upgrade to 2GB (max supported amount), prior to attempting Windows 7 installation.
-The system has 4 RAID SATA ports, located on the Motherboard. Best performance result can be acquired by the install of an SSD for the primary hard drive. The load time and overall performance is greatly improved by this (40GB is enough). The 200GB will be a secondary for program recording. You will need to change the boot order in the BIOS.
-The NVidia graphics card is underpowered for HDTV recording and playback. Due to the power constrants of the Power Supply (300W), replacement choices must be carefully researched prior to installation. Many of the ATI 8400 based video cards in the market due fall just within these power specifications and do allow HDTV recording and playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM

I really appreciate this. A year late, but I just recently took on Home Theater as a hobby and luckily for me I work in an electronic recycling depot so I'm getting components to add to my setup rather cheap, and just ran across one of these but was having trouble getting drivers to work and realized my os is 64 bit after reading this. Will it recognize the tuner card it came with? At least I think this is the card it came with.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM

I breathed new life into my VGX-XL1 when I installed Win7, and have since added RAM (now @ 2GB), and installed a new GPU (Sapphire Radeon HD 6670). I have MyMovies for WHS v.1, and PowerDVD 11 running very nicely so I'm all set to play Blu-Rays if I can figure out how to upgrade the internal DVD-RW to a BD-R player.

Anyone know if there is a particular model of slim IDE or SATA BD-R that will work?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM

What did you do for the installed tuner card to work?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM

I discovered this forum and post just in time! I was just about to send my Sony VGX-XL1A off to Rest in Pieces because I've had too many problems with Windows XP and the thing will barely boot now. I think it stay on for about 2 minutes before blue screen.

I figured I'd never find drivers for Windows 7, but looks like you guys have figured out how to get it to work! I will definitely try it!

Thanks,
OldSoldier99
Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 AM

I have a VGXXL1A running windows 8 - it found drivers for almost everything - one hint - 86 the on-board firewire through the bios - it will cause restart issues - if you have to have firewire (for example for the DVD changer) then do as I did and slap a USB firewire pci combo bard in a slot. Running 3 gigs if ram. Will support 64 bit OS but the drivers for the proprietary material are all 32 bit.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM

I obtained one of these with the 200 disk changer for 50 bucks, figured it was worth it, if not for the hardware alone. I have been very happy, only issue I have is the previous owner upgraded to Vista (7 was not out yet), and Vista is a little quirky on the thing.

I have a couple of questions.

1. The Changer portions in Media Center App, will they be retained after the upgrade to 7.
2. I have successfully upgraded the box to 4 gig of memory (vastly improves the performance of Vista. Are there any other upgrades recommended for Windows 7. i.e. I know about the graphics card..... any others.

Thanks,

Robert