Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

In my start up folder are the following shortcuts:
  • MCI Control Panel
  • MCI Synchronizer

? are these by default in your startup folder?

I don t have a 'MCI Synchronizer' file in my C:\\Program Files (x86)\\D-BOX\\MCI folder. I do have 'M_Controller_mk3.exe' over there. Launching this one starts the MCI control panel with POWER ON automatically but with this method the Advanced settings (and of course the delay option) does not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

? are these by default in your startup folder?

I don t have a 'MCI Synchronizer' file in my C:\\Program Files (x86)\\D-BOX\\MCI folder. I do have 'M_Controller_mk3.exe' over there. Launching this one starts the MCI control panel with POWER ON automatically but with this method the Advanced settings (and of course the delay option) does not work.

I don't think we are using the same version. Mine is from back in June 2011.
post #93 of 109 Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

I don't think we are using the same version. Mine is from back in June 2011.

I think your version is from 2010-02-09:

http://www.d-box.com/software/downlo...I-Versions.txt

This version cannot be downloaded anymore. Besides, I need 3.72 because 3.72 adds support for W7 64-bit and I use 64-bit.

All I can do is wait for a solution from D-Box. I informed D-Box about the problem and they are going to look into it.
post #94 of 109 Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I think your version is from 2010-02-09:

http://www.d-box.com/software/downlo...I-Versions.txt

This version cannot be downloaded anymore. Besides, I need 3.72 because 3.72 adds support for W7 64-bit and I use 64-bit.

All I can do is wait for a solution from D-Box. I informed D-Box about the problem and they are going to look into it.

I started doing some testing yesturday with the new version and Wondows 7 64bit, are you running yours as a service?
post #95 of 109 Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Eterlogic VSPE is old and there is a free alternative for 64bit systems for creating a virtual serial port. However, I don t know #%$ about this (PC noob here smile.gif). I know the user thxman already took a look at this program but without result. Can someone say if this program can be used just like thxmans post #28.

This is the software:

http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-virtual-serial-ports
post #96 of 109 Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Eterlogic VSPE is old
so what?
compared to what?
RS232(aka serial port) is like from the 1960's, early 1960's if I remember correctly...
VSPE creates a virtual serial port, so it is virtually brand spanking new in comparison to the original physical serial port...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

there is a free alternative for 64bit systems for creating a virtual serial port.
does 64bit really matter?
the 32 bit version of vspe is free... the only reason the 64bit is $25 is because micro$oft:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html 
Thanks to Microsoft Corporation policy, we need to pay $499 every year for the digital signature to make VSPE work on this platform.

That's why you need to order 64 bit VSPE license.
but anyway, we are emulating a serial port... a device from the 1960's... 8bit is all you need... do you really think a 64bit virtual serial port will run 8 times faster?
at the end of the day, any virtual serial port software just needs to create a virtual 1960's serial port...

of course there is the whole issue of what will work reliably with your OS/computer/other programs/etc... and only trial and error will really tell you that...
the program you found may work great, or it may crash every 5 minutes...
try it out and let us know...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #97 of 109 Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your reply Somewhatlost.

The 'problem' with VSPE is that the 64-bit version is a payed version and I am really on a budget at the moment biggrin.gif

I found a free alternative that works with a 64-bit version of W7 (which I use):
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-virtual-serial-ports

thxman, who wrote the 'manual' for me in post #28, tried to get this free software work for the purpose I have but he didn t get it working.

Could you maybe take a look at it for me? See post #28 from thxman so (I hope) you know what I want a achieve.
post #98 of 109 Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

you sure the free 32 bit version of VSPE wont work for you? maybe run in capability mode or some such? we know thxman got it to work with VSPE, so sticking with VSPE would definitely be the easiest solution.

looking at your link, it looks like your free s/w should work... thxman just basically created a fake serial port, or a bridge... and it seems the free VSP supports bridging..... but, if thxman couldn't get it to work, the odds that I could are probably slim to none...
have you tried creating a COM1<>COM2 (using same ports to match the instructions in post 28, just to make things easy) bridge with it, and then "connecting" COM1 to your MCI and COM2 to eventghost?

or just try creating a COM1<>COM2 , then open up 2 hyperterminal's or putty (free) and connect one to COM1 and the 2nd to COM2, what you type in one terminal should show up in the other if the bridge is setup/working correctly... then it just should be a simple matter to get eventghost and MCI happy...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #99 of 109 Old 10-07-2013, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried to use thxmans manual to do the same in the free software but I can t get it done. With thxman the VSPE solution works because he has a 32bit environment. I use W7 x64.

Anyway, if I (or you guys smile.gif) can t get the free x64 solution working there no other way then ordering the licence for VSPE x64.

thxman, are these commands correct?:

POWER ON \\x02WPOWER\\x1E1\\x03
POWER OFF \\x02WPOWER\\x1E0\\x03
MUTE \\x02WMUTE\\x1E1\\x03
UNMUTE \\x02WMUTE\\x1E0\\x03
VOLUME 100% \\x02WVOLA\\x1E0\\x03
VOLUME 90% \\x02WVOLA\\x1E-6\\x03
VOLUME 80% \\x02WVOLA\\x1E-12\\x03
VOLUME 70% \\x02WVOLA\\x1E-18\\x03
VOLUME 60% \\x02WVOLA\\x1E-24\\x03
VOLUME 50% \\x02WVOLA\\x1E-30\\x03
VOLUME 40% \\x02WVOLA\\x1E-36\\x03
100% Motion & 100% Vibrations \\x02WSPCA\\x1E0\\x03
100% Motion & 90% Vibrations \\x02WSPCA\\x1E2\\x03
100% Motion & 80% Vibrations \\x02WSPCA\\x1E4\\x03
100% Motion & 70% Vibrations \\x02WSPCA\\x1E6\\x03
100% Motion & 60% Vibrations \\x02WSPCA\\x1E8\\x03
100% Motion & 50% Vibrations \\x02WSPCA\\x1E10\\x03
100% Motion & 40% Vibrations \\x02WSPCA\\x1E12\\x03
post #100 of 109 Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I just bought VSPE 64bit version and it is not working anyone like it did for me in 2011 frown.gif

Could it be that D-Box changed something so that the rs232 codes you mentioned in post #33 are not working anymore?

here is the .pdf with the latest rs232 information/manual from D-Box:
http://www.d-box.com/media/docs/Downloads/Production/Files_914-0042-C_EN.pdf

it looks like this with me so all seems fine I think?
post #101 of 109 Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

have you done any trouble shooting?
  1. if you don't have it yet, go d/load Putty its a good free terminal program... also, nothing to install, just run the putty exe... very useful tool to have...
  2. if you have your dbox program and eventghost running, you should stop/exit them for this. we only want VSPE running with your COM1 <-> COM2 bridge (assuming you followed THXMan's instructions) for this test.
  3. click on the putty.exe you d/loaded, under the Basic options (ie the right side of the putty config window) for connection type click serial, then where it says Host Name (or IP address) type COM1, and set speed to 19200 then click the "Open" button at bottom of putty window.
  4. putty should of opened a COM1-PuTTY window, right click on an open spot on the top of the COM1-PuTTY window (or right on the "COM1-PuTTY" label) that will open op a menu, halfway down this new menu is "New Session..." select that.
  5. config the new putty session just like the last putty session, just make this one COM2.
  6. make COM1-PuTTY the active window, and type something... what you type should show up only in the COM2-PuTTY window
  7. now make COM2-PuTTY the active window, and type something... what you type should show up only in the COM1-PuTTY window

if the above all works, then you have verified your problems are not with VSPE so that will be at least one thing you can check off your list of things to troubleshoot.

next I would close/exit COM1-PuTTY window, and launch your DBOX thing and make sure it is setup to use COM1, and do something to make it poop out some data on it's serial port, you should see whatever it poops out on the COM2-PuTTY window... also you should be able to input a DBOX command in the COM2-PuTTY window and have you DBOX do whatever you commanded it to do...
if this works too, then you issue is either with how you setup eventghost, or what you are telling eventghost to do...

post #102 of 109 Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Best reply I ever had in my life! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I ll try this tonight and report back to you asap
post #103 of 109 Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok, so I just did some testing.
Quote:
1.if you don't have it yet, go d/load Putty its a good free terminal program... also, nothing to install, just run the putty exe... very useful tool to have...
2.if you have your dbox program and eventghost running, you should stop/exit them for this. we only want VSPE running with your COM1 <-> COM2 bridge (assuming you followed THXMan's instructions) for this test.
3.click on the putty.exe you d/loaded, under the Basic options (ie the right side of the putty config window) for connection type click serial, then where it says Host Name (or IP address) type COM1, and set speed to 19200 then click the "Open" button at bottom of putty window.
4.putty should of opened a COM1-PuTTY window, right click on an open spot on the top of the COM1-PuTTY window (or right on the "COM1-PuTTY" label) that will open op a menu, halfway down this new menu is "New Session..." select that.
5.config the new putty session just like the last putty session, just make this one COM2.
6.make COM1-PuTTY the active window, and type something... what you type should show up only in the COM2-PuTTY window
7.now make COM2-PuTTY the active window, and type something... what you type should show up only in the COM1-PuTTY window
this works all perfect!
Quote:
close/exit COM1-PuTTY window, and launch your DBOX thing and make sure it is setup to use COM1
CHECK! did this
Quote:
do something to make it poop out some data on it's serial port
I lost you here...... I clicked on some buttons with my mouse and moved some sliders in the d-box control panel but I don t see anything happen on the COM2 - PuTTY window.......
Quote:
also you should be able to input a DBOX command in the COM2-PuTTY window and have you DBOX do whatever you commanded it to do
I cannot see anything I type in the COM2-PuTTY window...... (ps. I DID close the COM1-PuTTY!!!)
post #104 of 109 Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

well, at least we know know your bridge works perfectly... so that is one less thing to worry about...

now for the DBOX side... unfortunately, I have no clue about how DBOX works... of course if someone would like to send me one, I am sure I could learn:)

for the DBOX -> Putty I would assume that DBOX would echo back any command you gave it directly to the serial port, so what you did s"should" have done something... of course I don't have DBOX so my knowledge is a bit lacking therefore my assumption is probably pure bunk... but most things do tend to echo back their mute state and stuff like that... but I would guess you tried mute...

for the Putty -> DBOX, it is not completely unexpected that you can see what you are typing... the way Full Duplex RS232 works is that you type something in your terminal (aka Putty) that gets sent to the device in question (aka DBOX) then it gets echoed back to you and displayed on your putty screen... but not every device echos back what you typed... especially 'controlled' type devices like many HT gear... so this is really no big deal...
you can get around this either by typing very carefully (ie just hope you type well)
you can type in note pad, then copy/paste into putty.
or go into putty's options and find the serial or terminal options and set it to Half Duplex...

post #105 of 109 Old 10-10-2013, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again for your reply.

So I did some more testing: I installed all things (D-Box control panel / Eventghost / PuTTY and VSPE) on another computer. The problem is THE EXACT same as on my other computer. With this I mean that VSPE works perfect (tested it with 'PuTTY1+PuTTY2 manual you provided). Something is wrong with D-Box I think.

So I did some more thought and would like to know what you think about the following (I won t be home untill tomorrow so I cannot test this!):

You should know that I tested iRule some time ago. I just installed iRule again and checked the codes that iRule uses to send information. When I look at MUTE for instance the code that I found in iRule is \x02WMUTE\x1E1\x03. When you look at the code that thxman provided to me (and which worked 2 years ago!!!!!!!!) the MUTE code is \\x02WMUTE\\x1E1\\x03. You can see that this code uses TWO slashes while the code from iRule uses only ONE. Maybe this could cause the problem? I know that D-Box updated their software a few times since 2 years ago so I hope this could be the thing that goes wrong.
post #106 of 109 Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

could be...
it could be at some point they changed the \\ to a single \
or it could be eventghost treats the \ as a "special" or control type character and you need the second \ to tell eventghost that it is just a simple \ and not some "special" character...
I really don't use eventghost so I don't know...

but anyway, if you have the VSPE bride up, and you have DBox up and runng and connected to the bridge, then you should be able to type/paste \x02WMUTE\x1E1\x03 into putty and have the DBox mute... if that works, then you just need to find an eventghost expert to help you get eventghost running right...

post #107 of 109 Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The problem was indeed the two slashes!!

However, I now have another problem:

When starting up windows Evenghost runs automatically. Also, I put a shortcut to VSPE in my startup folder. However, it does not work ok. This is because VSPE has to load FIRST and only after it has run Eventghost has to start. At this moment I think both are starting up at the same time or maybe even Eventghost starts running first. But the VSPE program has to load first.Is there a way I can make the serial port plugin or Eventghost as a whole start running with a delay when widows starts up?
post #108 of 109 Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you can do that with a batch file?
ie the batch file would look something like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eterlogic.com\Virtual Serial Ports Emulator\VSPEmulator.exe"
sleep (some amount of time to let VSPE start...)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DBOX(ie whatever takes to start DBOX)"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\eventghost(ie whatever takes to start EG)"
and you would then put that batch file in the startup folder instead of the VSPE/Eventghost/Dbox links.

well at least something like that should work... hopefully someone who knows more about creating batch files will chime in and give better detailed instructions...

post #109 of 109 Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am sorry sanderdvd for not helpling this round. Are you up and running?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page