Strange network issue - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Strange network issue

Home Theater Computers

sebberry's Avatar sebberry
11:41 AM Liked: 27
post #1 of 3
12-22-2011 | Posts: 1,268
My Win7 HTPC is networked and a network drive to my movie server (Server 2003) is mapped as drive M:

The PC automatically connects to M at logon.

I start Windows Media Center and use "MyMovies" to browse my collection.

All cover art is stored in the movie's folder on M: drive and shows up just fine.

However, when I click play to start a movie I get the Media Center error saying M:\\Movie Folder cannot be found.

However, if before I load up Media Center I double click "M:\\" drive and open that window in Windows Explorer, then go into Media Center everything works fine.

CN: WMC cannot find movie folder on mapped networked drive unless the network drive is opened in Windows Explorer prior to WMC being launched.
Calcvictim's Avatar Calcvictim
01:11 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 3
12-22-2011 | Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

My Win7 HTPC is networked and a network drive to my movie server (Server 2003) is mapped as drive M:

The PC automatically connects to M at logon.

I start Windows Media Center and use "MyMovies" to browse my collection.

All cover art is stored in the movie's folder on M: drive and shows up just fine.

However, when I click play to start a movie I get the Media Center error saying M:\\Movie Folder cannot be found.

However, if before I load up Media Center I double click "M:\\" drive and open that window in Windows Explorer, then go into Media Center everything works fine.

CN: WMC cannot find movie folder on mapped networked drive unless the network drive is opened in Windows Explorer prior to WMC being launched.

I am not an expert on media center but it's possible that the cover art is cached locally and windows does not establish a network connection until the drive is accessed. When media center accesses the movie it could be a race conditions between the connection to the network drive being established and media center timing out.

check this:
1)when booted up, do not access the drive, open the command pompt and type "net use"
note the output

now access the drive and run the command again

2)reboot fresh, try to play the movie from media center, once you get the error exit media center and reopen it, try to play the movie again...does it play now? If so it confirms my hypothesis
kapone's Avatar kapone
02:21 PM Liked: 130
post #3 of 3
12-22-2011 | Posts: 4,442
Try this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread