Bitstream Audio from Acer Revo 3610 over HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, done lots of research and couple of posts here but I'd like to cut to the chase.

Can I get bitstream audio from the Acer Revo 3610 using HDMI. I think this uses the ION chip (1?).

I know I can get it via S/PDIF but that's not an option.

The problem I am having is that when set the output to 5.1 and the actual content is stereo then it's coming as "Multi Channel Audio" to my receiver and I cannot choose a virtual surround setting. Currently I have the PC set to output stereo which does a better job of sending voices to the center channel and I have access to various simulation settings on my DENON receiver.

So in the end a simple question. Can I and if so how do I, get bitstream audio from the Revo.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the same machine (setup as client on a network running JRiver frontend). Its connected to a Vizo TV via HDMI. I don't have a receiver in the setup - but it has no problem sending 2-channel stereo over HDMI.
In the sound properties it only shows 48,000 HZ sample rate and either 16 or 24 bit. But that may be due to the TV capabilities and not the Revo.

I'm sure this info isn't much help though. If you don't get a sufficent response/answer soon, I suppose I could move the Revo to the main room and connect to my 7.1 Onkyo to see how it works.

BTW - what software are you running (maybe try the "free trial" of JRiver Media Center) to rule out software/player issues.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't want to send 2 channel stereo, I want to send bitstream which is basically "whatever the source is" So if the source is 5.1 it sends that, if it's stereo it sends that. Right now I have to set the PC to stereo to get a proper sound from a stereo source and then I can no longer pass 5.1 from other sources.

No need to move things around because I've tried everything and the only solution possible seems to be to add some additional software - that's what I'm hoping for.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Liked: 11
There should be some sort of option on your receiver that detects stereo signals and outputs it to all channels. On my Onkyo AVR, it is "All Ch Stereo." What model is your receiver?
post #5 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I DONT want. I don't want equal sound coming through all the speakers leading to voices appearing from the sides. I am trying to get the stereo signal to my Denon receiver, but in bitstream form.

I thank you for trying to help but I've done tons of digging. I know exactly what I need which is the PC to output bitstream. All other solutions have been tried or do not achieve my goal.

post #6 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

With your AVR on select playback devices, make your hdmi connection default and under properties see what is listed in supported formats.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #7 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've been through all this on other area of the forum.

I need to know how to make the PC output Bitstream.

When the PC is set to 5.1 the receiver see's it as Multi Channel Stereo and plays it on all speakers with no adjustments allowed

When the PC is set to stereo it outputs as stereo and can be adjusted nicely on the receiver. Perfect for stereo but now 5.1 sources are output as stereo.

Bitstream just outputs as is and that's what I want.

post #8 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I'm not convinced the Revo can bitstream. Maybe someone can confirm.

post #9 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, from my understanding you need an AVR that accepts those formats and a player that outputs those formats.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #10 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You might find something useful here http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-85665.html

I read the first couple of posts and got bored but it looks like they may be on to something.

post #11 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 220
according to this: http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...5/t/90544.aspx only the optical.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #12 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This is the deal:

Yes, you can bitstream AC3 and DTS (and core DTS from DTS-HD MA) via HDMI. For lossless TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, you have to decode and send via multi-channel LPCM. You could use software on the PC to output exactly the number of channels you want. e.g. JRiver, which Countrybumkin mentioned, would allow you to override the Windows setting and always output the source number of channels if you prefer. It can even upmix stereo soundtracks to multi-channel if you prefer. By all accounts it does an amazing job of outputting a good surround upmix, including sending voices to the centre channel.
FFDShow as an audio filter is another option, with many output formats selectable and even some rules that can be applied.
In short, you can achieve exactly what you want through software, and it can yield the best possible sound quality if you choose the software wisely.

===========

post #13 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

fitbrit, I'm not clear if you are saying I have to use the software to get the AC3 and DTS via HDMI ? I actually know I can get AC3 and DTS via HDMI. What I can't get is Bitstream So if I set it for AC3/DTS then I get multi channel stereo when the source is stereo, which is not what I want.

I was pretty sure you cannot bitstream from this unit via HDMI (you can via optical) but people elsewhere seemed to think you can. Still no evidence.

I'll check out the jriver software. Thanks

post #14 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

jriver is not really what I'm looking for as far as I can tell. It looks like a Media Center app, I want something that will allow any use of this PC to act the same way, Netflix, YouTube, DVD playback, AVI playback etc. etc. I don't really want to use a media center for that.

post #15 of 23 Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I now believe you don't really know the meaning of most of what you're writing. When an AC3 or DTS signal is sent to the AVR for decoding, that's bitstreaming. The term 'Bitstreaming', without a format implied or explicitly stated, is rather meaningless.
You can use jriver as a player and it will do everything you want once you set it up right. You don't need to use the media centre features. You can probably do what you want in mpc too, provided you know how to set up ffdshow.

===========

post #16 of 23 Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

This is the deal:

Yes, you can bitstream AC3 and DTS (and core DTS from DTS-HD MA) via HDMI. For lossless TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, you have to decode and send via multi-channel LPCM. You could use software on the PC to output exactly the number of channels you want. e.g. JRiver, which Countrybumkin mentioned, would allow you to override the Windows setting and always output the source number of channels if you prefer. It can even upmix stereo soundtracks to multi-channel if you prefer. By all accounts it does an amazing job of outputting a good surround upmix, including sending voices to the centre channel.
FFDShow as an audio filter is another option, with many output formats selectable and even some rules that can be applied.
In short, you can achieve exactly what you want through software, and it can yield the best possible sound quality if you choose the software wisely.

I reason I suggested trying JRiver is because they have a very easy configuration menu. You select Bit Streaming, and it either works or it doesn't depending on your hardware. it removes the configuration nightmare that the other players make you go through. If you can get Bit Streaming with JRiver, you can uninstall it and go with whatever program you want with the knowledge that Bit Streaming is possible.

post #17 of 23 Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

I now believe you don't really know the meaning of most of what you're writing.

Well thanks for that. I'm equally intrigued by your insistence on answering a question other than the one I am asking.

So one more time for those having trouble following

* Everything works fine when using S/PDIF
* When using HDMI with the output to 5.1, stereo sound comes out as 5.1 with the stereo sound sent equally to all channels as multi channel stereo. I do not want this, I want it to come as 2 channel stereo just like it does via S/PDIF
* When the HDMI output is set to Stereo it works great for stereo but of course 5.1 sources also come as stereo, this is not what I want.

I want to "bitstream" the stereo through the 5.1 setup (or pass through). It seems that might not be possible without additional software.

Thanks Mr Bumpkin, I might try it for the education value but I'm trying to keep the setup simple for the kids etc. so I don't really want to change how they use the PC. If I can't find some kind of filter so sit in front of the audio driver I'll just leave it set to stereo and switch it to 5.1 when I need to.

post #18 of 23 Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you know what audio renderer you're using or how the sound is getting there? Does your sound device support WASAPI or ASIO? These modes will override the Windows default. You can set up sound to always come out, unadulterated, in the same number of channels as the source. One way to achieve this is with JRiver, as mentioned, or MPC-HC and some configuration tweaking, or indeed any directshow player, using something like ffdshow. Really, I think most of us want what you want and we have achieved this. Take a look at ffdshow audio - it's not a player, but is used by various players, and should be able to help you achieve what you're trying to do. It would be VERY helpful if you told us which software you're using to watch these files in the first place. There are numerous guides available, and knowing which software you're using makes it a LOT easier for us to help you.

Your original question as stated was can you bitstream with your REVO. My first response answered that. I have the same REVO, so I know. Yes, you can bitstream, in a limited way, through the HDMI. AC3 and DTS can be bitstreamed up to 5.1, including DD 2.0. Lossless formats e.g. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA cannot be bitstreamed through the ION chipset. These have to be decoded and sent as LPCM, up to 7.1. They will still be lossless and have all the original info, but they have to be decoded by the REVO. So, do you see how your question doesn't mean anything if you ask 'can it bitstream?'. The response would be 'can it bitstream what?' What kind of files are you trying to play?
In summary:
It can bitstream AC3 and DTS. That means the AVR has to decode these.
It cannot bitstream mp3, flac, AAC because your AVR cannot decode these natively in a video file in almost all cases. So the very notion of bitstreaming a video file with e.g. stereo mp3 audio makes no sense.
It cannot bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. The chipset doesn't support it, even if your AVR does. You can achieve exactly the same sound, though, by decoding this in the REVO and sending LPCM to the AVR. You have to use an exclusive mode such as WASAPI or ASIO to achieve this unadulterated. For DTS-HD MA, you need Arcsoft's DTSdecoder.dll installed on your system.

===========

post #19 of 23 Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
or DTS-HD MA, you need Arcsoft's DTSdecoder.dll installed on your system./QUOTE]

How can we do this on the revo?

TIA
post #20 of 23 Old 04-21-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Download and install the TMT free trial.
Find the file.
Move it to the directory where LAV is.

post #21 of 23 Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM

Gonna sound like an idiot but where is the lav?
post #22 of 23 Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlipur View Post

Gonna sound like an idiot but where is the lav?

It was assumed that you have Lav filters installed. If you do not, look up "LAV audio" and you may find a sourceforge link that willallow you to download it.

===========

post #23 of 23 Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 AM

sweet will check it out

thank you:D
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page