Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 160 Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

In my opinion, this area is going to change radically. Does anybody buy a music CD anymore? Somehow I think in 10 years or so, nobody will be buying BDs. Maybe it will be longer, but I do think we are moving away from hard media even over the kicking and screaming of the studios.

I agree, the owners of the right to copy movies will do just like the owners of the right to copy music did and grant permission eventually - technology will force their hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Moving away from hard media to lousy compressed media to boot.

post #153 of 160 Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 202
post #154 of 160 Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You have more faith in the common sense of our representatives than I do. I hope you are the one that's right.
jim2100 likes this.
post #155 of 160 Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

They have common sense but when you need to fund a multi-million dollar TV campaign to pay local broadcasters to get your message out over our air waves or cable pipeline we pay for you become beholden to big money interests and not the people you represent.

post #156 of 160 Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Moving away from hard media to lousy compressed media to boot.

For now. But with everything going digital and screens getting larger, we might see better compression algorithms in the future.
post #157 of 160 Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Not seeing much in the way of lossless audio. I have a small fortune invested in a system for that and if streaming doesn't provide it, I'm not game for it.

post #158 of 160 Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Not seeing much in the way of lossless audio. I have a small fortune invested in a system for that and if streaming doesn't provide it, I'm not game for it.

I have been saying and fearing this for a few years now. Kids now days are perfectly happy with crap compressed music on their phone and an ear bud. They have no idea or care about the quality of the music they just want the noise. Now I see this with more and more people and streaming movies, netflix and such. I am afraid that the majority just wants it now and don't care about quality anymore, these would be the same people that spend all their money at Wal-Mart rolleyes.gif

I do fear for the future of entertainment and high quality, for me it is Blu-Ray or nothing, for all the teens out their it is the coolest thing to watch a movie on your I-Phone, give me a break......eek.gif
post #159 of 160 Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it REALLY a surprise that a teen isn't too well versed on high end audio/video components? It's not like those people exactly have the income that allows them to experience better quality stuff.

I have a pretty nice home theater right now and I can assure you that when I was 18, 19, 20 years old, that was absolutely nowhere near my thought process of "I need to buy this soon, it's important."

Kids aren't going to discover those things when they're kids..........because they're kids. They are happy enough with just the ability to watch movies, steam video, or whatever, whether or not it's in high quality 1080p and/or uncompressed audio doesn't rank too high up on their list.

As you get older (and hopefully more successful,) those things become more of a curiosity to you.
fitbrit and wildbluesea like this.
post #160 of 160 Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post

As you get older (and hopefully more successful,) those things become more of a curiosity to you.
That's because, as you get older and your income increases over time, your basic needs are satisfied and you start having more disposable income. At this point, the things you never thought about because they weren't previously feasible to own now become a reality. Just walk into any high-end audio/video salon (they don't call them stores anymore) and you'll quickly discover the vast majority of their clientele all have salaries in the 6-figure range. I could actually afford some of the less expensive high-end audio gear when I was single and had few fiscal responsibilities. Now most of the high-end equipment is priced in the stratosphere and I've got a family and a mortgage that would choke a horse. My desires for the holy grail of home theater have been squelched as a result and I've learned to live with the best quality I can afford.

The last time I set foot into a high-end shop was probably 20 years ago. I looked at all of the gear I used to drool over and chatted with the salesperson for a while. When I learned how much the prices had risen since I had the high-end bug I asked, "Why would anyone need all this stuff?" He just smiled and said "Necessity has nothing to do with it." He then put on a demo CD of some group I was unfamiliar with at the time (I believe it was The Smashing Pumpkins). The system I was auditioning was comprised of mostly Krell electronics and some high end loudspeakers whose name escapes me at the moment, although I believe they may have been made by Genesis. Total cost of the system, including speakers ($10K), preamp ($6K), 2-piece mono power amps ($35K for all four pieces), and a CD player ($10K) was over $60K, and this was around 1982. I can't imagine what a comparable system would go for today.

I listened politely to a few songs and soon realized that I really couldn't tell the difference between this ridiculously expensive setup and my modest home theater system comprised of lower-priced high-end electronics and Vandersteen speakers all around. At that moment I realized I had been cured of the high-end bug for good. It was such a relief because it used to make me totally neurotic. I got so hung up on how the system sounded that I lost sight of the music, which is what it was all about to begin with. People used to come to me all the time asking for advice on audio gear because they knew I was into it and had a good ear for quality. Now I just tell them to buy whatever sounds good to them.
dmarqueset and wildbluesea like this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page