Skype through a HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone attempted to hook a Skype camera on top of their HDTV to via their HTPC for video conferencing? I am curious to know what sort of hardware is needed. Some of the webcam for example have built in HD encoding to reduce cpu usage, but I notice that even those camera recommend at least a 1.8 Ghz dual core. This probably mean an older machine cannot be used?

I also notice some of the TV and blueray also have a camera connection, since their cpu are likely to be rather limited, how is it they can stream skype without a core 2 duo?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recommend the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000. I have it sitting on the top of my HDTV connected to my HTPC. The picture quality is great.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam...s/devices/6333

HTPC Enthusiast
post #3 of 4 Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Logitech Orbit AF, by the tv on the stem attachment; matches perfectly the video eye level on the 50 inch tv. Has perfect angle to cover the room on minimum zoom, or zoom on the couch only, or pan around the room onto the kids showing their tricks to the grandparents. 4x2.5GHz phenom is powerful enough to encode the video; but as my bottleneck is the upload speed, it probably never had to encode HD. Microphone does not get any complaints.

The greatest problem for me is the pan and zoom control, I have not found a way besides clicking with the mouse on a panel on the screen (using the remote would be perfect, but I have no time to play with 3rd party remote control applications).
post #4 of 4 Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I also use the Logitech Orbit AF. I am using Eventghost and so I'm able to use my remote to chase the kids around the room as they show off there tricks and zoom in on things they want to show grandpa and grandma. Also using SkypeMCEAnswer to answer calls from within media center.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page