Mediabrowser Displays Incorrect Aspect Ratio with MakeMKV Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've started to rip some of my DVD's to mkv with MakeMKV v1.7.0. When I look at them inside Mediabrowser v2.5.1.0r with the MediaInfo Provider plug-in v1.3.0.2; the aspect ratio for every rip reports as 3:2, even though the ratio is 16:9 looking inside MediaInfo directly. The ripped media plays in the correct 16:9 format.

Some examples: Downton Abbey, The Untouchables (16:9), Field of Dreams (1.85), Big Fish (1.85), The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2.35)

What's up with this and how can I correct it? I've stopped ripping until I can understand what is going on.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any answer to this as I'm having the same issue?

post #3 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
There's nothing wrong with your rips. The aspect ratio that you're seeing is for the whole frame (720 X 480) not just the actual picture. When you rip a Blu-Ray it will be 16:9 (1920 X 1080).

Here's what you can do about it... Change your mediabrowser theme to "Diamond" (free). That theme will show the actual ratio of the movie. There may be other themes that display this as well but I haven't tried them all.

I can give you a list of paid themes that DO NOT display in this manner because I bought them and am very unsatisfied with the look of each.

MAELSTROM
JADE
SAPPHIRE

After investing in these themes I ended up right back where I started with Chocolate which happens to be my favorite of the bunch.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

There's nothing wrong with your rips. The aspect ratio that you're seeing is for the whole frame (720 X 480) not just the actual picture. When you rip a Blu-Ray it will be 16:9 (1920 X 1080).

Here's what you can do about it... Change your mediabrowser theme to "Diamond" (free). That theme will show the actual ratio of the movie. There may be other themes that display this as well but I haven't tried them all.

Still displays the ratio as 4:3 rather than 16:9. I've tried setting the correct aspect ratio using mkvmerge and DVD patcher but it doesn't correct what is displayed in Media Browser.

post #5 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 PM

Liked: 18
Have you tried another method to gather your metedata.. Media Center Master, My Movies...etc. The themes only display the info that is in your XLM files.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #6 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Media Center Master adds the information to the movies.xml. It reads the data from the file metadata which is paid after the trial. However, you can quickly copy and paste from similarly formatted movies. MCM also adds source, length, audio, etc to the movies.xml.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Have you tried another method to gather your metedata.. Media Center Master, My Movies...etc. The themes only display the info that is in your XLM files.

Thanks for the post, you've prompted me to look in the right places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Media Center Master adds the information to the movies.xml. It reads the data from the file metadata which is paid after the trial. However, you can quickly copy and paste from similarly formatted movies. MCM also adds source, length, audio, etc to the movies.xml.

That's what I've just worked out, I didn't realise that MCM stopped doing that after the trial ran out.

I'll stick to manually editing the XML file with the small number of metadata tags I need to get it to display the correct info as per the instructions at the following link:

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...diainfo-plugin

post #8 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I'm getting the length, container and audio/video codec but, like others say, I'm getting 1.77:1 for aspect ratio. So the fix to this is to pay for the license? I'm one my phone right now and cannot look it up quickly; so how much is the license?

post #9 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I'm getting the length, container and audio/video codec but, like others say, I'm getting 1.77:1 for aspect ratio. So the fix to this is to pay for the license? I'm one my phone right now and cannot look it up quickly; so how much is the license?

Lifetime is $50.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. What about the mediainfo plugin that is linked above? The KB article isn't completely clear on how to install it, where to get it or if it costs anything.

post #11 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:

You don't need to pay the licence fee unless you want to have thm automatically generated. You can manually edit the xml files using the instructions in the link I posted above.

post #12 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

You don't need to pay the licence fee unless you want to have thm automatically generated. You can manually edit the xml files using the instructions in the link I posted above.

My time is to valuable to edit several hundred xml files. What is the mediainfo plugin that I saw there but didn't have the time to research?

post #13 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

My time is to valuable to edit several hundred xml files. What is the mediainfo plugin that I saw there but didn't have the time to research?

Agreed. Its funny how some people stress about a few dollars spent that can potentially save you countless hours on the backend.

I would make that investment every single day of my life for numerous things (not just HTPC).
post #14 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

There was something on that link for a mediainfo plugin that I haven't researched. I have mediainfo on my computer. Can it be the plugin for metadata? It gets the right info for me.

post #15 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Agreed. Its funny how some people stress about a few dollars spent that can potentially save you countless hours on the backend.

I would make that investment every single day of my life for numerous things (not just HTPC).

I'm only just starting to rip my collection so the extra 5 minutes to manually edit the XML file while I'm waiting for the other DVD to rip is neither here nor there. I agree it's a worthwhile investment if you already have lots of media ripped.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

I'm only just starting to rip my collection so the extra 5 minutes to manually edit the XML file while I'm waiting for the other DVD to rip is neither here nor there. I agree it's a worthwhile investment if you already have lots of media ripped.

Okay.. Good point.

post #17 of 18 Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM

After playing around the the premium trial version of MCM I've found that it doesn't get the aspect ratio correct. It reads the aspect ratio from the MPEG headers (I assume) which is typically 16:9, even if the movie is another apsect ratio such as 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. I still have to manually correct the aspect ratio in the generated XML file.

post #18 of 18 Old 08-31-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Can someone tell me how to manually correct the aspect ratio?

I've tried editing the width & depth in the metadata and that doesn't work. I only have XML files for a few of my 800+ movies (seems to be ones where I've edited some field through Mediabrowser Server) but those don't have an 'Aspect Ratio' field.

Any help or advice appreciated, it's driving me nuts!

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page