Alternative to MakeMKV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sebberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is there an alternative to MakeMKV for turning BDMV file structures into MKV files?

I have AnyDVD HD so I rip the blu-ray to the HDD as a BDMV, then I stuff it into MakeMKV to rip out everything except for the main feature and HD audio tracks.

Since AnyDVD HD does a better job of.. ahem.. allowing me to rip in the first place... I'd rather not buy MakeMKV. Is there a free application that will let me pick and choose the bits to keep like MakeMKV does?

Thanks.
sebberry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Makemkv is free. You can renew it for free every month legitimately.
assassin is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rico66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can use clown_bd (gui for eac3to) + mkvtoolnix/mkmerge. It's a 2 step process, hence a bit more complex (but also more powerful) than makemkv. But it's all you need if you have Anydvd.
Rico66 is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pagali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Also all you need, with AnyDVD HD: Ripbot264. Get the all-in-one installer here: http://www.mediafire.com/?t6l3sji36zxvc
Pagali is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sebberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Makemkv is free. You can renew it for free every month legitimately.

That's what I thought too, except the key stopped working and they have yet to issue a new one. I've been monitoring their forum.
sebberry is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

Also all you need, with AnyDVD HD: Ripbot264. Get the all-in-one installer here: http://www.mediafire.com/?t6l3sji36zxvc

Ripbot264 is for encoding into x264. I think the OP is looking to simply remux into an mkv.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sebberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yep, that's all. I don't want to re-encode anything.
sebberry is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,243
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
BluRip, a front end of eac3to, mkvmerge, and x264 (you can ignore x264 of course). The only all-in-one BD-to-MKV ripping application, except for MakeMKV, that is often better than MakeMKV (detecting the correct main title with seamless branching).
renethx is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
digital desire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

That's what I thought too, except the key stopped working and they have yet to issue a new one. I've been monitoring their forum.

Just need to re-download another copy of makemkv.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
digital desire is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

BluRip, a front end of eac3to, mkvmerge, and x264 (you can ignore x264 of course). The only all-in-one BD-to-MKV ripping application, except for MakeMKV, that is often better than MakeMKV (detecting the correct main title with seamless branching).

Thanks Rene hadn't heard of that one.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Member
 
riverhawk79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Thanks Rene hadn't heard of that one.

Yea I had never heard of it either, but I just played with it and while I like the UI, it doesn't seem to support .mpls playlists, only single mt2s files. So that's out.
riverhawk79 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,243
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 View Post

Yea I had never heard of it either, but I just played with it and while I like the UI, it doesn't seem to support .mpls playlists, only single mt2s files. So that's out.

Trying to load a .mpls file directly is not the intended usage. Insert a BD disc (with AnyDVD HD running in the background) and let the program detect the available titles (then select the title you want and rip it). As this is just a GUI of eac3to, the result of detecting the titles is the same as other GUI of eac3to such as Clown_BD (the difference is that BluRip uses mkvmerge to merge ripped streams to MKV, while Clown_BD uses tsMuxer to merge them to M2TS or create a BD folder/ISO).
renethx is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Member
 
riverhawk79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Trying to load a .mpls file directly is not the intended usage. Insert a BD disc (with AnyDVD HD running in the background) and let the program detect the available titles (then select the title you want and rip it).

Yes I understand. My complaint is that it does not present the mpls playlists as selectable titles.

My test disc was spartacus blood and sand. You need the entire mpls, which contains 2 mt2s files in order to get the "previously on spartacus" + the actual episode.
riverhawk79 is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Bojangles139's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

That's what I thought too, except the key stopped working and they have yet to issue a new one. I've been monitoring their forum.

ya, that happens once or twice a year where he won't update right away. give it a couple of days and work again. kinda annoying, but hey, its free and its awesome program.
Bojangles139 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,243
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 View Post

Yes I understand. My complaint is that it does not present the mpls playlists as selectable titles.

My test disc was spartacus blood and sand. You need the entire mpls, which contains 2 mt2s files in order to get the "previously on spartacus" + the actual episode.

The program does not use "mpls" but "M2TS" somehow to list the available titles (each of which may consist of multiple M2TS files) in "Title selection". But the end result is the same as other eac3to UIs.

If you think the program can't detect the correct main title, perhaps it's eac3to that is to be blamed. Or other UIs (e.g. HD DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor, Another EAC3to GUI Plus, Clown_BD) work correctly?
renethx is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Member
 
riverhawk79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

The program does not use "mpls" but "M2TS" somehow to list the available titles (each of which may consist of multiple M2TS files) in "Title selection". But the end result is the same as other eac3to UIs.

If you think the program can't detect the correct main title, perhaps it's eac3to that is to be blamed. Or other UIs (e.g. HD DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor, Another EAC3to GUI Plus, Clown_BD) work correctly?

So for each episode on the disc, there are two mpls entries. One with the "previously" thing, and the other without. AnotherEac3ToGui shows both and allows you to rip either way.
riverhawk79 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,243
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
If Another EAC3to GUI Plus works, then BluRip should work as both uses eac3to to detect the main titles. Remember that both are just GUI of eac3to. The development of Another EAC3to GUI Plus stopped before the author adds PGS subtitle support.
renethx is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Member
 
riverhawk79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

If Another EAC3to GUI Plus works, then BluRip should work as both uses eac3to to detect the main titles. Remember that both are just GUI of eac3to. The development of Another EAC3to GUI Plus stopped before the author adds PGS subtitle support.

I know, that's why I'd like to find an alternative to AnotherEac3ToGui, since it's broken now with the latest version of mkvmerge. I'd prefer that it be based on eac3to, since it seems that's still more trusted than makemkv.
riverhawk79 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off