Newbie questions after first HTPC build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-01-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have completed my first HTPC build and everything is now operational to replace my Cox DVR. I do have a few questions as I begin the process to really fine tune this "appliance". Any help is appreciated.

1. Should the default video setting be 59hz or 60hz?
2. How can I start WMC in media mode when I have the "Start WMC when windows starts" selected ?
3. What are the acceptable CPU and System temperatures?
4. Is there a way to see buffer thumbnails while scrubbing using the remote..similar to what you would see when using the mouse?
5. Is it ok to disconnect the HDD Led? The flashing activity light is becoming distracting.
7. Should WMC Optimization be used?
8. I run this HTPC with a Pioneer AVR and Samsung LED TV. Any tips on HTPC shutdown, sleep, hibernation, and wake up are welcomed. Right now I'm running this HTPC 24/7 while fine tune.
9. The guide shows DD Plus for audio yet I get DD only to my AVR. Is this normal?

BTW - I'm using the HD Prime cable card tuner. No problems as of now.

Thanks for any help.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Anyone have any input?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #3 of 3 Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

I have completed my first HTPC build and everything is now operational to replace my Cox DVR. I do have a few questions as I begin the process to really fine tune this "appliance". Any help is appreciated.

1. Should the default video setting be 59hz or 60hz?
2. How can I start WMC in media mode when I have the "Start WMC when windows starts" selected ?
3. What are the acceptable CPU and System temperatures?
4. Is there a way to see buffer thumbnails while scrubbing using the remote..similar to what you would see when using the mouse?
5. Is it ok to disconnect the HDD Led? The flashing activity light is becoming distracting.
7. Should WMC Optimization be used?
8. I run this HTPC with a Pioneer AVR and Samsung LED TV. Any tips on HTPC shutdown, sleep, hibernation, and wake up are welcomed. Right now I'm running this HTPC 24/7 while fine tune.
9. The guide shows DD Plus for audio yet I get DD only to my AVR. Is this normal?

BTW - I'm using the HD Prime cable card tuner. No problems as of now.

Thanks for any help.

I can answer some of your questions starting with 1. Set the resolution and refresh according to the modes supported by your display.

For question 3, it depends on your cpu and motherboard. I have an Intel e4300 in my htpc and it idles around 38 C using a Zalman cooler and 700 rpm fan. I don't routinely monitor temps. I've had my current rig for 2.5 years and I have never experienced any heat-related problems such as freezing, failed boots, etc.

For question 5, you could certainly disconnect the light; however, many people like to see whether the drive is actually doing something and the machine is not frozen or locked-up.

For question 8, I do a complete shutdown if there are no OTA programs to be recorded; otherwise, I put the machine into sleep mode.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page