Will a 5770 play 3d bluray? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was playing a ripped folder 3d bluray with total media theater 5 and it was stuttering every 5 seconds or so. It played fine in 2d in media player classic so the file is fine. Stuttering also happens with a normal 3d bluray in the bd drive.

Is the 5770 card the weak link here? If so, what would be a decent priced card(amd/nvidia) that will perform flawlessly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Not sure what your bottleneck is, you might want to give more specs on your system for the experts here to see what your problem is.
I doubt that the 5770 is your issue.... I run bluray isos all the time on sapphire 5770 with MPC-HC or PDVD.

put a search up for tmt5 and it looks like there are quite a few threads with this issue.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #3 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Will MPC play 3d bd iso's? If so, does it auto detect them? Will it pass dts audio?

system: phenom II, 2gb ram, 1tb hdd, win 7 64
post #4 of 9 Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sorry. Guess I didn't focus on the 3d part of your thread. Hope you get it figured out

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #5 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco View Post

I was playing a ripped folder 3d bluray with total media theater 5 and it was stuttering every 5 seconds or so. It played fine in 2d in media player classic so the file is fine. Stuttering also happens with a normal 3d bluray in the bd drive.

Is the 5770 card the weak link here? If so, what would be a decent priced card(amd/nvidia) that will perform flawlessly?

I have the ati 5770 and can confirm it play 3d bluray nicely. I'm not familiar with Cpu requirements for 3D bluray playback but I'm pretty sure Ati 5770 are powerful enough (even though the spec say nothing about playback of 3Ds)

- make sure you use hdmi 1.4 cable
- I've only used Power DVD 11 Ultra
post #6 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

So this is on the local drive right, not from the network?

With RAM so cheap, why are you only running 2GB on a Win7-64 install? Get at least 2 more Gigs.

I believe the stuttering, if not network related, is another process running, such as auto-update, or something similar.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2gb of ram sounds a little weak, can you run the movie in windowed mode and watch your resources...check for dips or spike in CPU and ram usage during the hiccup.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM

I had the same problem you do when I upgraded my HDTV and AV receiver to 3d capable. I was running fine with standard Blu-Ray playback but had excessive stutter when playing 3d content. I hate to tell you this, but you really need a graphics card that supports 3d Blu-Ray with hardware acceleration - otherwise its pounds your CPU. My card supported standard BD HW acceleration but when I played 3d, I found my CPU was pegged. Take a look at yours while playing and I bet it's the same issue. Both Nvidia and ATI say they're "3D Blu-Ray compatible" for a bunch of models of cards but what they don't say is that only certain cards support the dual stream hw acceleration for 3d BD. When you think about it, 3D is really putting out two hidef streams simultaneously. I upgraded my older card to an Nvidia 550ti which supports it and the problem is gone - my CPU is hovering around 5% now. Here's the nvidia page showing their models that support 3d with HW acceleration:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...rce-cards.html

In the dropdowns, choose "GPU Series" on the left, and "3D Blu-Ray" on the right

Oh, and PDVD ultra and Corel WinDVD do actively use the GPU's hardware acceleration for 3d if the card has it. Otherwise, it goes to your CPU to support it. I have both but I almost always use Corel just because I found it easier and less bug prone.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 07:14 PM

I'm having the same problem and i also think that the graphic card is the problem. I think it has to do something with UVD (Unified Video Decoder). For more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

For flawless Blu-ray 3D i assume we need graphic cart that has UVD 3 and 5770 has only UVD 2.2.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page