post #31 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

are you sure thats the right model #? i see the GGC-H20L (which is the drive i have) on their site but not the GCC-H20L

Yes, it's a typo. I should be GGC-H20L. If you have the same drive what is your firmware version and driver date and OS. The discs I've had from Netflix that aren't recognized as BDs of Fair Game, Hangover Part II, Margin Call and Midnight in Paris. Have you played any of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Fair Game played OK for me. Margin Call I got from Blockbuster and it played OK. The others I have not seen.
post #33 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

Yes, it's a typo. I should be GGC-H20L. If you have the same drive what is your firmware version and driver date and OS. The discs I've had from Netflix that aren't recognized as BDs of Fair Game, Hangover Part II, Margin Call and Midnight in Paris. Have you played any of these?

firmware is 1.03; driver is the microsoft one 2006, OS is W7x64.

i've never had any problems with BDs not playing...
post #34 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Funny I have the same issue and write it off to a drive going bad. I have 2 LG BluRay drive. On in my primary PC that I use for ripping (older) and one in my HTPC that is just for play back (newer).

The older drive I run into BluRays that wont do anything just like you said. But they always play in the HTPC, mater of fact I have never had one that doesn't play on the HTPC.

No relation to rental or retail. Only thing I have noticed, which could be nothing, is that they ones that don't play almost look more traslucent, like you can see through them.

I think the solution is just a new drive.
post #35 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Liked: 13
I had the same thing with Disney's Tangled BD on my GGW-H20L in Win7 x64. I googled it and lots of people had the same issue, and the recommendation was return it to the store for a different copy, so I figured it was a manufacturing issue.

LG hasn't updated the firmware in years. I'm thinking of buying another drive in case this one conks out (almost 300 HD-DVDs with 3 players all of which have one or more issues )
post #36 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM

OP, what software are you using for playback?
post #37 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

firmware is 1.03; driver is the microsoft one 2006, OS is W7x64.

i've never had any problems with BDs not playing...

I've got the same driver and OS but my firmware is 1.04. I think it's an HP special. hmmmmm.....
post #38 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Funny I have the same issue and write it off to a drive going bad. I have 2 LG BluRay drive. On in my primary PC that I use for ripping (older) and one in my HTPC that is just for play back (newer).

The older drive I run into BluRays that wont do anything just like you said. But they always play in the HTPC, mater of fact I have never had one that doesn't play on the HTPC.

No relation to rental or retail. Only thing I have noticed, which could be nothing, is that they ones that don't play almost look more traslucent, like you can see through them.

I think the solution is just a new drive.

Yes, I noticed too that the discs that didn't play were kind of translucent.
post #39 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post

I had the same thing with Disney's Tangled BD on my GGW-H20L in Win7 x64. I googled it and lots of people had the same issue, and the recommendation was return it to the store for a different copy, so I figured it was a manufacturing issue.

LG hasn't updated the firmware in years. I'm thinking of buying another drive in case this one conks out (almost 300 HD-DVDs with 3 players all of which have one or more issues )

Tangled plays on mine no problem. It's a black art. Maybe I need to sacrifice a chicken to the disc gods....
post #40 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not a playback problem. i can't even get that far. The drive shows up as empty in Windows Explorer. AnyDVD HD thinks the drive is empty also.
post #41 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:

It never gets to software - when this happens, the drive can't recognize the disk and the access light stays on and the disk spins forever, until you force eject.
post #42 of 44 Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Firmware is not the same as an os driver.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When a disc does not play the first thing I try is taking the disc out of the drive and cleaning it. This sometimes works.

The second thing I try is rebooting the computer. Rebooting is a possible solution to multiple problems.

I am guessing that if you have 7MC many optical drive use the Microsoft driver. Mine uses the 7 MC driver last updated in 2006.

Firmware, if it is updated, is updated by the manufacter. The update may not be for whatever is causing a disc to just spin or not be seen.

I do not know of a method to explore the cause of a disc just spinning or not being seen. Sometimes it is a disc issue. You can try playing the disc with a different player. You can also see if other software like AnyDVD sees the disc. If it then plays or is seen I am not sure what that tells you about your optical drive. I don't know if discs can be manufactured to not be seen by computer optical drives. I do hear that some optical drives do not allow ripping.

Optical drives degrade over time and become less reliable at reading discs.

This is the sum of what I know to say about these issues and I hope there is someone who knows more.
post #44 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
Just to add to this thread. I just had the same issue. My internal BD-RW could not recognize any blu-ray discs. Only DVDs and CDs. After failed attempts trying to get valuable troubleshooting tips from LG, I happened to have a CD/DVD cleaning disc and tried this as a last resort. It must have performed some sort of voodoo, because the laser cleaning disc actually resolved my problem. If you encounter this and are completely out of options, its worth the $10 for the laser cleaning disc. Worked for me, hope this helps someone else.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page