Device to be use with my HDMI TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
vmc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure what I'm looking for or even if some device exists. Some of what I find googling brings me to an internet - netflex, hulu, amazon supported device.

What I'm looking for is something to replace having to create DVD's and then transporting them to my dvd player attached to my tv. Something with a hard drive that I can use from my pc to create movies using say handbrake. then take that device to my tv,, plug into my hdmi connection, and with that remote watch the movie.

I'm propably not making much sense here, but Best buy, Fry's don't have a clue. then want to sell me TiVo, XBMC, Boxie, and the like. I want something that does not require internet connection.

I thought WD TV would fit the bill, but it to advertises internet connection.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 AM

Liked: 11
That device would be called a "Computer". Most of us have a system connected to the TV all the time but in your case a laptop might fit the bill. You'll need a newer one with a HDMI connector. When your laptop is filled up with movies you'll need either an external hard drive or NAS (Network attached storage) device. Without an internet connection you can only browse to the files and play them. Programs like XBMC,WMC, BOXEE etc are media organizers and allow you to add all the neat features like movie plots, actors and artwork which requires internet access.

Better living through credit cards
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Boxee only needs the internet connection to log on, all your movies can be stored locally via USB if you like (or on your PC & connected via the network).
Popcorn hour, popbox & WDTV don't NEED internet or network connection (if I understand correctly, I don't have them) but can use it if you wish.
All of these can connect to your stored movies via USB or network (network is more handy if you can store the movies on the machine you create them on...).

Most people want a device that can do both local network & internet streaming.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM

I agree with the others...it sounds as if a HTPC is what you are asking for. Additionally, setting up a Sony SMP-N100 on your network and using it to view movies from your PC might also fit the bill. Any reason you don't want said device to have an internet connection? It's hard to understand if you mean "have" a connection or "requires" a connection. Regardless...a HTPC can be built and used for what you are requiring. As stated above - a modern laptop with HDMI would probably fit the bill too.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Even the WD TV does not require a connection to the internet, however it does require being connected to some form of media. If you plug it into your home network that your PC or other form of storage is on, then you can access and play the files stored there. It also has usb ports so you could use a flash drive, or portable hard drive connected directly to it. It does have software in it to view youtube or other online content, but it does just fine as a standalone media player. I have a couple of them and would not want to do without them. They play all formats I have tried and are very user friendly.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
vmc

Quote:

... Any reason you don't want said device to have an internet connection? ...

I only have DSL, so streaming movies and the like is out of the question. Thanks for reply.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
vmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_G View Post

Even the WD TV does not require a connection to the internet, however it does require being connected to some form of media. If you plug it into your home network that your PC or other form of storage is on, then you can access and play the files stored there. It also has usb ports so you could use a flash drive, or portable hard drive connected directly to it. It does have software in it to view youtube or other online content, but it does just fine as a standalone media player. I have a couple of them and would not want to do without them. They play all formats I have tried and are very user friendly.

Thanks for you reply. It looks like WD TV is what I'm after.

Edit: Popcorn hour is what I'm looking for. Specifically A-210. It appears they either don't sell it anymore or I have to purchase from China. One sold quickly on ebay.