Replacement CIR remote receiver for ASROCK H67M GE/HT mobo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an htpc running the above motherboard which comes bundled with a CIR remote receiver and remote. This plugs into one of the USB ports on the front of my antec case, which in turn plugs into one of the USB headers on the motherboard, with dedicated CIR pins. I am using the Logitech harmony one to control the pc.

My problem is:
The operating angles for the remote receiver are appalling - you have to literally point the remote dead straight at the receiver on the front of the pc otherwise it won't work. Are there any ready alternatives out there with a wider operating cone that I can use to replace the ASROCK supplied USB receiver?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 11
I don't know how you are using that thing. It is a remote design nightmare. I took one look at it and never even opened the bag it came in. I bought one of these and love it. It comes with a reveiver and a generous length of USB allowing you to place it where it works best for you and also be out of sight, not sticking out of the front of your case.

Great motherboard, horrible remote.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM

I got the Asrock Z68m-ITX/HT with the CIR receiver and I know exactly what you mean about the poor angles.

IMO you have two options.

Firstly you can buy an custom made CIR recevier. This receiver is signed for an intel CIR header, but can easily be repinned following these instructions. Reports (See XBMC link at bottom) have shown that this has really good responsiveness.

Secondly option, abandon just using the CIR receiver and get one of these USB IR receivers. This is what I have.

Unfortunetly for me this USB receiver is not turning my HTPC on, some people say that they got it working by messing around with the USB ports (see XBMC link below), but I have had no such luck. So what I have done is kept both the CIR and USB receivers plugged in. The CIR allows my harmony remote to turn it on and the USB receiver takes over in windows to give extremely good reponsiveness.

People over in the XBMC forum have lots of information on what does / does not working if you are wanting to turn the PC on from an S5 shutdown state.

Hope this helps
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 AM

+1 for the repinned Inteset IR receiver. I have one installed on an AsRock z68. The receiver sits behind the front red window of a Silverstone LC20 case and works from far and wide.

Having said that, you need to ask yourself if it is that important for you to be able to switch the HTPC completely on or off. Do you use WMC TV recorder? Is your HTPC backed up to a Windows Server? Why won't S3 sleep suffice?

Either way, the Inteset receiver has the best responsiveness of the 3 IR receivers I've tried. Don't be intimidated - its relatively easy to install (you may need to drill a hole in your case).
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPoobar View Post

+1 for the repinned Inteset IR receiver. I have one installed on an AsRock z68. The receiver sits behind the front red window of a Silverstone LC20 case and works from far and wide.

Having said that, you need to ask yourself if it is that important for you to be able to switch the HTPC completely on or off. Do you use WMC TV recorder? Is your HTPC backed up to a Windows Server? Why won't S3 sleep suffice?

Either way, the Inteset receiver has the best responsiveness of the 3 IR receivers I've tried. Don't be intimidated - its relatively easy to install (you may need to drill a hole in your case).

With regards to the inteset CIR, does discrete power on/power off commands work? I have a harmony one and my ir receiver doesn't work with the power on command.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

All, thank you so very much for your insights. The asrock receiver truly is a steaming pile of brown stuff. I will have a look at the inteset option.

Just annoyed with myself for spending extra money on the remote capability of this mobo. I guess you live and you learn.

Thanks again guys
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page