post #3331 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

There really aren't that many TVs in existence anymore. To qualify as a TV, and not a monitor, it would need to have a tuner built in. Most "TVs" sold today do not, and are, in fact, monitors - people and marketing just call them TVs out of habit and simplicity. If you have a monitor with speakers built in that does not support any form of remote control, then that's a limitation of the monitor, not the Echo or any other device you connect. Most consumer electronic devices don't have independent volume control like what you're describing.
A lot of morden PC monitors come with HDMI input and support HDCP. I think this is the kind of monitor he is refering to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Echo is now for sale on Amazon! whee!
post #3333 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

They also have an InfiniTV 4 / Echo bundle that's a pretty good deal. Price for the Echo alone is still better on Newegg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3334 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

I better cancel my Newegg preorder before it ships since they're apparently already shipping from Amazon and we still don't know exactly what we're going to get in terms of firmware.
post #3335 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

A lot of morden PC monitors come with HDMI input and support HDCP. I think this is the kind of monitor he is refering to.

That's the same thing as what I'm talking about - a "modern PC monitor" is the same as the big screen "TVs" you see advertised, just a different size. Either way, if it doesn't support a remote, that's a limitation of the monitor, and has nothing to do with the Echo or any other CE device you connect to it. HDMI just carries a digital signal, and most devices have no volume control independent of the display or receiver.
post #3336 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Both the Echo and the InfiniTV4/Echo combo have been pulled from amazon. I seem to remember this same thing happening last year when the HDHR Prime was released through newegg.

BTW, the InfiniTV4 internal is $149 right now on newegg.

post #3337 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

FYI the sale on InfiniTV ends today

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #3338 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Eric, How's the 1080 stuff (Progressive and de-interlacer) coming along?

And thanks for the heads up on that sale price.

post #3339 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Amazon has the HDHR3 on sale for $129, nice for a network tunner.

post #3340 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I know this is the Echo thread, but there's nothing to talk about the Echo right now. The Prime is $120 at newegg right now.

post #3341 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

There really aren't that many TVs in existence anymore. To qualify as a TV, and not a monitor, it would need to have a tuner built in. Most "TVs" sold today do not, and are, in fact, monitors - people and marketing just call them TVs out of habit and simplicity. If you have a monitor with speakers built in that does not support any form of remote control, then that's a limitation of the monitor, not the Echo or any other device you connect. Most consumer electronic devices don't have independent volume control like what you're describing.

I disagree, most t.v.s sold today still have some kind of tuner, speakers, remote control, inputs and outputs that are designed for t.v. use. Most set top boxes are designed to work with t.v.'s not pc type monitors with speakers and no wireless remote control.
post #3342 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post

I disagree, most t.v.s sold today still have some kind of tuner, speakers, remote control, inputs and outputs that are designed for t.v. use. Most set top boxes are designed to work with t.v.'s not pc type monitors with speakers and no wireless remote control.

Exactly, of my 6 recently purchased flat screens (Different brands, models), all of them have ATSC tunners in them.

post #3343 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Exactly, of my 6 recently purchased flat screens (Different brands, models), all of them have ATSC tunners in them.

My thoughts exactly.

That said, All I really need is a 80" LED with ONE HDMI input and a power input. That would/could save me a bundle but these TV's come with all these extras because the Joe's of the world don't know that they actually don't need it.

post #3344 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe all consumer TVs (retailed as such) require to have ATSC tuners. TVs with no built-in tuners are typically labeled as commercial/professional products and can't be purchased in retail stores.
post #3345 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

There really aren't that many TVs in existence anymore. To qualify as a TV, and not a monitor, it would need to have a tuner built in. Most "TVs" sold today do not, and are, in fact, monitors - people and marketing just call them TVs out of habit and simplicity.

Where do you get that from? From low to high end, all the TVs lining the walls and shelves of stores like Best Buy have tuners capable of ATSC and Clear QAM. At least I'm not aware of one that lacks such a tuner. What's hard to find are TVs with CableCard slots, but you're not talking about just them.
post #3346 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Both the Echo and the InfiniTV4/Echo combo have been pulled from amazon. I seem to remember this same thing happening last year when the HDHR Prime was released through newegg.

The amazon listings were mistake posting that went live a bit early as you have to prepare the listing pretty early for amazon. Just so everyone knows smile.gif

Software Developer on My Media Center -> Ceton Corp.

post #3347 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

post #3348 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima94930 View Post

Where do you get that from? From low to high end, all the TVs lining the walls and shelves of stores like Best Buy have tuners capable of ATSC and Clear QAM. At least I'm not aware of one that lacks such a tuner. What's hard to find are TVs with CableCard slots, but you're not talking about just them.

Really? Odd, because I've not had tuners on the last couple of screens that I've purchased. Given how limited broadcast signals are, I would have though external tuners/antennas were common for those, rather than using a built-in tuner.

Either way, though, the original point stands - volume control has nothing to do with the Echo, so it's silly for anyone to blame the Echo for this.
post #3349 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? Odd, because I've not had tuners on the last couple of screens that I've purchased. Given how limited broadcast signals are, I would have though external tuners/antennas were common for those, rather than using a built-in tuner.

External antenna, maybe. External tuner, no unless you are talking about really old TVs that only has NTSC analog tuners. External tuners are not required. All of them come with ATSC (most of them also ClearQAM) tuners.
post #3350 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Liked: 11
I'm pretty disappointed with the 1080 progress (or lack thereof) and lack feedback from Ceton regarding when we can expect it to work. I went ahead and built a HTPC in anticipation of the Echo with the hopes that it would provide 1080 Live TV as well as streaming ripped movies at 1080 to multiple rooms. I have been trying to stay positive but it is hard when the release is in a few days and there still isn't 1080 support. I feel pretty foolish at the expenditure of building the HTPC now. frown.gif I have cancled my preorder at newegg. frown.gif
post #3351 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD truk View Post

I'm pretty disappointed with the 1080 progress (or lack thereof) and lack feedback from Ceton regarding when we can expect it to work. I went ahead and built a HTPC in anticipation of the Echo with the hopes that it would provide 1080 Live TV as well as streaming ripped movies at 1080 to multiple rooms. I have been trying to stay positive but it is hard when the release is in a few days and there still isn't 1080 support. I feel pretty foolish at the expenditure of building the HTPC now. frown.gif I have cancled my preorder at newegg. frown.gif

I've used my HTPC to feed content to my AVR/HDTV since March 2011 and have been using it exclusivelly for CableTV since June 2012. Why do you feel foolish in building the HTPC now? They work fine with or without the Echo. The Echo is an extender to be placed in other locatations for a whole home solution.

That said, I am trying to keep the faith that ceton will pull this off. There still is time this week.

post #3352 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I feel 100% positive that Ceton will pull this off. I'm just not sure that it will happen in the original timeframe. I'd rather believe they won't release a product until it's working as advertised. There's no way this is being released to the public in it's current state.
post #3353 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

As a DVR/PVR extender, my echo works great!
tstolze likes this.

post #3354 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As a DVR/PVR extender, my echo works great!

Yes, we know smile.gif, it's the rest of that have issues.

post #3355 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wouldn't feel foolish, I have buit two for this endevor, one in a VM, and most recently one for the HT. I find the fanless, no moving parts solution which boots directly into 7MC and does NOT need a keboard to be real nice actually. Much differant then only a few years ago. This actually works more like an STB then an HTPC.

post #3356 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have cancled my preorder at newegg. frown.gif

Me too given the serious outstanding issues and unknowns so close to shipping and Newegg's restocking fees.
post #3357 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I hardly call the issues serious. My echo works fine, excepting HBR mkv's but mkv was never even promissed.

post #3358 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hardly call the issues serious. My echo works fine, excepting HBR mkv's but mkv was never even promissed.

Well for most of us, no 1080 support, even scaled down at this point is an issue for most, and PCM 2.0 only audio. I see your point not too serious. rolleyes.gif

I know there are a few days before release, they can still fix EVRYTHING before the first person plugs there's in.

Does the beta end on the 30th? biggrin.gif

EDIT: Don't forget most of us want to replace the HTPC with the Echo, and put the server back where it belongs.

post #3359 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

I wouldn't feel foolish, I have buit two for this endevor, one in a VM, and most recently one for the HT. I find the fanless, no moving parts solution which boots directly into 7MC and does NOT need a keboard to be real nice actually. Much differant then only a few years ago. This actually works more like an STB then an HTPC.

I'm a bit interested in your VM htpc. Can you give a brief synopsis of what it contains and what else it might be running ?

I'm currently trying to layout a plan for an ESXi 5.1 server running a number of things, such as a WHS2011 server, a Win7 htpc,using an HDHomerun with InfinityTV cable (Comcast) , and a number of echos as extenders.

I'd be most interested in what you've done so far or are planning.

BruceD

post #3360 of 7721 Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

I'm a bit interested in your VM htpc. Can you give a brief synopsis of what it contains and what else it might be running ?...

I'll send you a PM, this was covered many posts back. Just don't want to reinvent the wheel again.

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page