post #3601 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

is it that difficult to answer the phone?

It actually is. To be quite frank, in almost all cases, phone support takes longer than emails support. In email, we can give a list of steps, then get a response when the customer has done them. Or we can get a data package back, and examine it. Bounce ideas off a coworker. Do research. On the phone, you need to wait there while the customer does every step, while they upload data, etc. A typical phone support call will go for 90 minutes. I can resolve a lot of tickets in as little as 10-15 minutes of actual time, through the whole ticket, via email.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

What did you expect, Eric? He's from New York.rolleyes.gif

Really? Was that necessary? or is that point in case? tongue.gif

post #3603 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Liked: 10
i'd rather ceton still exist and make media center products than hire a dedicated support staff and lower their margins to the point where it's not worth it to be in this business anymore.

and this is coming from someone with a busted echo
post #3604 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post

I just ordered one from Amazon... Overnight shipping and I was able to burn some Discover Card rewards in the purchase! smile.gif
Planning to keep my order with NewEgg as I will want up to 4 Echo units.
It makes me mad though as I pre-ordered on the day they came up for pre-order. frown.gif
Ray

And of course I just got my UPS shipping notice! But I am also going to keep my Amazon order open.

Is NewEgg shipping these overnight or two day? I cannot check until after 20:00 hours this evening..

Ray
post #3605 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Oh and here comes the guy from South Dakota with this comment!!
post #3606 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Hey, I wasn't talking to you.tongue.gif My comment didn't apply to all New Yorkers, just the rude ones (and you know who you are wink.gif )

FWIW, anyone that's dealt with Ceton in the past knows that they have a pretty good system in place for Tech Support and it doesn't include a phone number. You contact Ceton and request a ticket with a description of your problem. They've always been pretty good about getting back to you even though it may take a few days. Phone support from any company tends to result in long wait times holding on the phone. I'd prefer to send an e-mail and go about my business until I hear back from them. Since they basically sell TV products it's not a showstopper if the customer is without TV for a day or two. If you're running a small business and your server goes down then that's another matter entirely. It's simply not a life or death situation and your livelihood isn't depending on it. If you don't like the way they operate then take your business elsewhere. I doubt that they'll miss the business or the attitude.
post #3607 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Liked: 12
Well I got an email back from Ceton and in addition to a bunch of things to try (nothing worked), they felt the need to give me a lecture on call centers and how they are more efficient through email support. Ironic considering I build and staff call centers for a living. If they can remotely access this ceton like Cox can with their cable modems/DVRs, or if the ceton can kick out a log file I can email, sure. Otherwise, no. In a phone call that would take less time than typing the lengthy email he sent me (don't even go there with copy/pasting troubleshooting scripts), it would be quickly determined the thing is either alive or dead.

I doubt it should require a network connection to, at the very least, post a signal to the TV; so all the network variables should be taken out of the equation.
post #3608 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

What did you expect, Eric? He's from New York.rolleyes.gif

And Captain_Video,

I am not a New Yorker. I was raised in CT all my life and I live in Nevada now. You might want to reconsider your thought process, captain sir.
post #3609 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallWalrus View Post

Oh and here comes the guy from South Dakota with this comment!!

Please splain lucy?

I didn't really get that.

post #3610 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagiofan View Post

Well I got an email back from Ceton and in addition to a bunch of things to try (nothing worked), they felt the need to give me a lecture on call centers and how they are more efficient through email support. Ironic considering I build and staff call centers for a living. If they can remotely access this ceton like Cox can with their cable modems/DVRs, or if the ceton can kick out a log file I can email, sure. Otherwise, no. In a phone call that would take less time than typing the lengthy email he sent me (don't even go there with copy/pasting troubleshooting scripts), it would be quickly determined the thing is either alive or dead.
I doubt it should require a network connection to, at the very least, post a signal to the TV; so all the network variables should be taken out of the equation.

Jeebus.

Just return it, it sounds like you have your mind made up already.

You bought an item the *DAY* it was released. If you didn't expect them to be slammed with support requests on the day it was released, then that's on you.

Welcome to being an early adopter of a consumer electronics product from a small company. It's not likely they have a bank of 30 people sitting around phones waiting for technical issue phone calls. They obviously have set it up to do ticketed/email support.

If you don't like it - speak with your wallet. Return the item, or wait an hour or two to get a response back.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #3611 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagiofan View Post

Actually, Ceton can remotely access and push firmware to your box if you let it connect and sometimes put into the DMZ from what I read. These boxes are probably manufacturered, packaged and shipped a while back with a very old firmware or just a boot loader on them. They are designed to look for latest firmware from internet from the minute it powers on based on my own observation. Does your box getting any network activity or connectivity at all on your own router/switch? From a few messages I read on the beta forum, sometimes you have to let it sit there connected to internet for hours before it can fully recover itself. Please note the network port on the Echo itself doesn't have any LED lights to indicate network connections and activities.

I had a similar experience. Mine is a beta unit arrived basically DOA. Can't detect any network connectivity at all based on the LED lights on my switch (it is off). So a few emails back and forth with support, I asked them to issue RMA which they did. It took another 3 weeks or so (and paid my shipping cost) to finally get my Beta unit this week.
post #3612 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Jeremy did, in fact, reach his magic hands across the internet and fix mine when the second f/w blew up a lot boxes. This was done via email and google chat. The phone is so last millennium, IMHO. ceton is a very small company that does this stuff more for the challenge and joy of it than making a fortune. I'd rather they develop decent products that nobody else is developing and provide the type of support they do right here in the U.S. than have somebody named Rasheed telling me his name is Bob on the phone.

It sounds like Bella is a spoiled gen y'r to me.
rc05 likes this.

post #3613 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Perhaps its me but it seems that the Echo's remote control OFF button turns ON an Xbox 360 smile.gif
The buttons work the opposite for me on the Xbox. The remote's ON button turns ON the Echo and turns OFF the Xbox while the OFF button turns OFF the Echo and the Xbox ON.
Too funny. Hopefully it's just me doing something weird.
Anyone else have their Ceton and Xbox 360 in direct line of sight?

Not sure I want to spend much time with this as a majority of my rips are in MKV format with fairly high bit rates. The Echo does not seem to work well with these at all.
I have taken to ripping most of my Blu-Rays into ISO these days now that storage is so cheap but that does not help either.
Bummer, had REALLY high hopes that this would allow me to use my HD HomeRun Prime in other parts of my house without having to use full HTPC and WMC configuration.
post #3614 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

TheEcho remote doesn't work on my Xbox at all. But my Xbox media remote does operate my Echo.
post #3615 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought there was some type of setting in the xbox to tell it which remotes to respond to?
post #3616 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post

Perhaps its me but it seems that the Echo's remote control OFF button turns ON an Xbox 360 smile.gif
The buttons work the opposite for me on the Xbox. The remote's ON button turns ON the Echo and turns OFF the Xbox while the OFF button turns OFF the Echo and the Xbox ON.
Too funny. Hopefully it's just me doing something weird.
Anyone else have their Ceton and Xbox 360 in direct line of sight?
Not sure I want to spend much time with this as a majority of my rips are in MKV format with fairly high bit rates. The Echo does not seem to work well with these at all.
I have taken to ripping most of my Blu-Rays into ISO these days now that storage is so cheap but that does not help either.
Bummer, had REALLY high hopes that this would allow me to use my HD HomeRun Prime in other parts of my house without having to use full HTPC and WMC configuration.

Well once XBMC runs on it ....
biggrin.gif

xnappo
post #3617 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The echo uses the same remote codes as any WMC device; HTPC, xBox, Echo. There is settings in the xBox from what I've read. I don't have one.

The echo does a great job as a DVR extender. What it isn't doing well yet is streaming.

post #3618 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

I thought there was some type of setting in the xbox to tell it which remotes to respond to?
There is. But mine is already set to recognize media remote (which basically is any WMC remote). None of the Echo remote buttons can power on my xbox.

Just tested again, it appears that my old Arcade box doesn't respond to Echo remote but my new Slim box will respond to it.

UPDATE: double checked the settings. You can set it to either 'Both' or 'Xbox Media Remote'. My Arcade box is set to later and hence won't recognize WMC remote codes.
post #3619 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

UPDATE: double checked the settings. You can set it to either 'Both' or 'Xbox Media Remote'. My Arcade box is set to later and hence won't recognize WMC remote codes.

that's the setting I was thinking of.
post #3620 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

Jeebus.
Just return it, it sounds like you have your mind made up already.
You bought an item the *DAY* it was released. If you didn't expect them to be slammed with support requests on the day it was released, then that's on you.
Welcome to being an early adopter of a consumer electronics product from a small company. It's not likely they have a bank of 30 people sitting around phones waiting for technical issue phone calls. They obviously have set it up to do ticketed/email support.
If you don't like it - speak with your wallet. Return the item, or wait an hour or two to get a response back.

+1

I'm sure he's just trolling.
post #3621 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've got a Harmony One remote.

What do you guys suggest I use as my "media center pc" for this remote? Not sure which will work the best. I have been away from Media Center for quite a while using SageTV.

Sorry for the dumb question... rolleyes.gif
post #3622 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post

I've got a Harmony One remote.
What do you guys suggest I use as my "media center pc" for this remote? Not sure which will work the best. I have been away from Media Center for quite a while using SageTV.
Sorry for the dumb question... rolleyes.gif

A few pages back this happened:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

not too crazy about the included remote but I'm glad to see the original MCE remote I had from years ago works fine.
post #3623 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

+1

He may be trolling, but I have the same issue he did.

Just got my Echo from Newegg preorder and it looks DOA. CETON logo came up the first time on TV, then just sat there. Rebooted it after about 5 minutes now its just black screen. Network is fine, Windows 7 is ont he same network running media center with the InfiniTV and the Echo plugin installed... still nada.

Yipes.

post #3624 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck. I have seen the same thing happen to a few beta testers. So, it is not an isolated incident.
post #3625 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

He may be trolling, but I have the same issue he did.
Just got my Echo from Newegg preorder and it looks DOA. CETON logo came up the first time on TV, then just sat there. Rebooted it after about 5 minutes now its just black screen. Network is fine, Windows 7 is ont he same network running media center with the InfiniTV and the Echo plugin installed... still nada.
Yipes.

Kinda funny in an ironic way.

Not that I agreed with his complaint about lack of phone support. It just must suck getting a brand new device and it dying before you can use it once. I wonder if the root cause of all these firmware update issues is internet connection related? If so, I hope there is some kind of check of the connection before forcing the device to update.
post #3626 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

Kinda funny in an ironic way.
Not that I agreed with his complaint about lack of phone support. It just must suck getting a brand new device and it dying before you can use it once. I wonder if the root cause of all these firmware update issues is internet connection related? If so, I hope there is some kind of check of the connection before forcing the device to update.

I thought it was quite funny too. However I'm not all internet angry about it.

I emailed their support and had a response within 10 minutes.

Maybe there is something that can be done remotely if there is a network connection, but I hooked it directly to my gigE switch and it didn't even get a link light, so remote access is obviously out.

Hopefully that USB port is for diagnostic and there's some unreleased tool to flash it via USB. We'll see what support says.

post #3627 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Well - I just got my newegg pre-order and for me it is stuck on the progress bar screen, its bin sitting at about 1/4 bar full for the last hour, hasn't moved an inch.... I'm scared to reboot/power it off though, I guess I'll just let it sit all night and see what happens.

-Jim
post #3628 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The last update took about 20 or 30 minutes for me. Let it run and report back.

post #3629 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

The last update took about 20 or 30 minutes for me. Let it run and report back.

Interesting.

I wonder if mine is just updating and I'm not getting output on the screen.

When it is updating, do little red LEDs illuminate underneath CETON on the front of the Echo?

post #3630 of 7721 Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

It sounds like Bella is a spoiled gen y'r to me.

You know... you guys are a real piece of work. Others are having the same issue as clearly stated.

And Gen Y? I've owned my own company for over 15 years. And when I was the age of a 'gen - y' I sold computers at Circuit City where I gave every customer I sold a computer to my home phone number. And for the elderly, I'd volunteer, for free, to go to their house and hook it up. I come from a time when real personal customer service and live communication was valued and people weren't afraid to pick up a phone and order a pizza because they grew so accustomed to texting that they get nervous when talking to strangers.

You should ask yourself if you could be so wrong in your assumptions, what else could you be so incredibly wrong about? Maybe your perspective on this is equally or even more inaccurate.

Go ahead and keep grinding away at the gears in your brain trying to rationalize your behavior, I'm sure you'll come up with something. Nothing speaks 'loser' more than a fanboi troll hiding behind the safety of anonymity calling others trolls.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page