Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 7721 Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Member
 
rob black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They should have a onlive plugin, that be cool
rob black is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 7721 Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Newbie
 
jasonic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the Echo is UPnP AV1.0, will it be able to play .wtv files (from a NAS say) without bringing the HTPC out of sleep? Also, what is DVRMS-HD listed on the site? Is that the same as .wtv?
jasonic8 is offline  
post #363 of 7721 Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonic8 View Post

As the Echo is UPnP AV1.0, will it be able to play .wtv files (from a NAS say) without bringing the HTPC out of sleep? Also, what is DVRMS-HD listed on the site? Is that the same as .wtv?

Assuming the Echo won't have its own interface built-in for accessing files, it will need to be connected through your WMC system to play those files.

IIRC, DVRMS-HD is the format that was used for HD recordings in Windows versions prior to 7. The Echo would presumably need to support that for any old recordings a person has around and to work as an extender with older systems.
gsr is offline  
post #364 of 7721 Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Newbie
 
jasonic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Assuming the Echo won't have its own interface built-in for accessing files, it will need to be connected through your WMC system to play those files.

IIRC, DVRMS-HD is the format that was used for HD recordings in Windows versions prior to 7. The Echo would presumably need to support that for any old recordings a person has around and to work as an extender with older systems.

If it's a renderer, you can direct files to it using a UPnP control point, without a built-in interface for selecting files, - but, as you say, if it needs to access a media center like the Xbox 360 does before you can get to its UPnP renderer, that would be a pity.
jasonic8 is offline  
post #365 of 7721 Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonic8 View Post

If it's a renderer, you can direct files to it using a UPnP control point, without a built-in interface for selecting files, - but, as you say, if it needs to access a media center like the Xbox 360 does before you can get to the UPnP renderer, that would be a pity.

It'll definitely be interesting to see exactly what functionality they add beyond being a WMC Extender.
gsr is offline  
post #366 of 7721 Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
tkole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this in the deals section but I don't know how many of you actually look there. I'm anxiously awaiting the echo but I couldn't resist this.

The egg has a 4gb 360 for $179.99. If you use your preferred account you get $20 off which will be posted on your billing statement. Just got a new WMC extender for $159.99. I think the offer ends 3/20/12
tkole is offline  
post #367 of 7721 Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
dsurkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bronxville, NY
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I saw this on the web:
http://2012.thecableshow.com/exhibitorlist/booth/157571
Does this mean that Ceton will be announcing the release of the Echo and the Q at the 2012 Cable Show, or simply showing the prototypes?

--Dean L. Surkin
dsurkin is offline  
post #368 of 7721 Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

I saw this on the web:
http://2012.thecableshow.com/exhibitorlist/booth/157571
Does this mean that Ceton will be announcing the release of the Echo and the Q at the 2012 Cable Show, or simply showing the prototypes?

That is interesting. I'm ready for these things to drop. Probably going to pick one up if the initial price isn't too high like the original ceton was.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #369 of 7721 Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Member
 
dah12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the heads up on the XBox deal. Picked one up from the Egg, and now they're $179 at Microsoft store too. I want to hold out for the Echo, but with no idea if it's a month or a year away, or cost, I have to jump when there's a deal. I've got the need now, so I'm stuck with getting what's available. Any hint on timing or price would have made me wait.
dah12 is offline  
post #370 of 7721 Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post

Thanks for the heads up on the XBox deal. Picked one up from the Egg, and now they're $179 at Microsoft store too. I want to hold out for the Echo, but with no idea if it's a month or a year away, or cost, I have to jump when there's a deal. I've got the need now, so I'm stuck with getting what's available. Any hint on timing or price would have made me wait.

I agree a hint would help. But with the xbox's limited codec support how do you guys use it. Can it support mkv yet? Or m2ts? If not it seems pretty useless besides the tv aspect (which is great but still).
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #371 of 7721 Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
tkole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I agree a hint would help. But with the xbox's limited codec support how do you guys use it. Can it support mkv yet? Or m2ts? If not it seems pretty useless besides the tv aspect (which is great but still).

TV is what I wanted it for. I only do iso and folder structure backups on my media server anyway and am not interested in mkv. I have several htpc's that run wmc with mymovies for movie management. If ceton came up with dynamic tuner sharing, all my wishes would come true. In my efforts to rid myself of verizon boxes, I decided to let go of my last one and replace it with an xbox 360 as opposed to shelling out another $500 - $600 for the HTPC I would want to build. I likely would have gotten the echo if it was available. However, after reading some posts over on the mymovies forum, I have little faith that the echo will have the ability to run mymovies or stream any of my HD movies in their current format so I'm not sure that I'm really losing anything.
tkole is offline  
post #372 of 7721 Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Member
 
RhodyAVphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
check out global cache products coupled with an accompanying tablet remote app... It might cause you to get rid of your Harmony if you don't mind lack o hard buttons on a remote....
RhodyAVphile is offline  
post #373 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Diverge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If this rumor is true, and the lite version of the xbox still has media center extender, then the echos need to be sub $100.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/microsof...ole/15347.html
Diverge is offline  
post #374 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Member
 
kcr6419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I won't be touching the Echo uless is't priced properly. That would be under $79. Anything more and I'd buy XBoxes as they'd be used in the rooms the kids use anyway.
kcr6419 is offline  
post #375 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Dragonfly47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: the 'burbs of @lanta
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Comcast launched XFinity for the XBox today, which solves the problem of no OnDemand and pay per view. Another point for the Xbox over the Echo, IMHO.
Dragonfly47 is offline  
post #376 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
But what formats can the xbox play? I remember my friend used to have to use WMV. I think it can do AVI as well but those both suck. No MKV is a deal breaker for me.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #377 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
cnewsgrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly47 View Post

Comcast launched XFinity for the XBox today, which solves the problem of no OnDemand and pay per view. Another point for the Xbox over the Echo, IMHO.

1) Do we have anything for FIOS?
2) Do we need XBOX Live Gold ? I have three Xbox entenders so that will make it expensive
cnewsgrp is offline  
post #378 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Have to have Live Gold for OnDemand, but it can routinely be purchased for $40/year on sale. There is a family pack for Live for less than $100 IIRC. Yes, that still sucks.

I believe the Xbox already had access to Verizon VOD.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #379 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
cnewsgrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Have to have Live Gold for OnDemand, but it can routinely be purchased for $40/year on sale. There is a family pack for Live for less than $100 IIRC. Yes, that still sucks.

I believe the Xbox already had access to Verizon VOD.

Thanks!! This is bad news for Ceton Echo. specially given the fact that data does NOT count against cap. I smell a lawsuit.
cnewsgrp is offline  
post #380 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
tgrinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
In the linked article, it mentions a Tivo-Comcast enabled box to allow OnDemand; that (to me) is a potential obstacle in the sale of the Q and standalone InfiniTV cards. However, both Ceton products don't require any subscription fees so maybe it's a wash depending on your needs.
tgrinch is offline  
post #381 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

If this rumor is true, and the lite version of the xbox still has media center extender, then the echos need to be sub $100.

Except that the Echos should be released a year or more before this "lite" version (the article says end of 2013).
crbaldwin is offline  
post #382 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
tima94930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

If this rumor is true, and the lite version of the xbox still has media center extender, then the echos need to be sub $100.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/microsof...ole/15347.html

If this Xbox Lite has a fan, and it's as "whisper quiet" as the Slim, I won't care if it's free.
tima94930 is offline  
post #383 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Diverge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima94930 View Post

If this Xbox Lite has a fan, and it's as "whisper quiet" as the Slim, I won't care if it's free.

According to that link, it's supposed to use an ARM processor. There are no fans in your phone or tablets, so I doubt it will use a fan if any of this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Except that the Echos should be released a year or more before this "lite" version (the article says end of 2013).

Good point.
Diverge is offline  
post #384 of 7721 Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Member
 
werd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Except that the Echos should be released a year or more before this "lite" version (the article says end of 2013).

True, hopefully the coming soon on their website actually means soon !
werd is offline  
post #385 of 7721 Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima94930 View Post

If this Xbox Lite has a fan, and it's as "whisper quiet" as the Slim, I won't care if it's free.

While the Slim is not as quiet as my Tivos, it's really not noticeable at normal TV volume levels. Put it in a glass-door cabinet and I doubt you'd ever hear it. YMMV.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #386 of 7721 Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
tima94930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

While the Slim is not as quiet as my Tivos, it's really not noticeable at normal TV volume levels. Put it in a glass-door cabinet and I doubt you'd ever hear it. YMMV.

Putting it in an enclosure is not an option for me. I had a "Slim" for a few days, and there were three components to its noise signature, two of them variable in pitch. It was truly obnoxious, but in a different way than the "Jasper" I had for a few days, which sounded like a hairdryer. I returned both due to their noise levels. I never put a disc in their optical drives, either, or used them beyond the menu system and extender functionality. It was the fans while the units were not under load, starting the moment I turned them on and never abating. Both Xboxes were easily and distractingly audible while watching video at normal volume levels. And I'm not the only one; there are many Youtube videos documenting the "Slim" is not "whisper quiet" as Microsoft claims.

I'm sure there is some sample variation, but I just didn't want the things enough to play exchange roulette. Also, pressing in on the Slim's cheap plastic housing could change one component of its noise signature, and that was not a hopeful sign.
tima94930 is offline  
post #387 of 7721 Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ceton throw us a bone here would you?? I really don't want ot go buy an xbox 360. But I'm tempted.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #388 of 7721 Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know when these are likely to be released for sale?
Blue is offline  
post #389 of 7721 Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
caeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Does anyone know when these are likely to be released for sale?

The day after I buy an xbox

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
caeguy is offline  
post #390 of 7721 Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

the day after i buy an xbox

+1
mmcxiiad is offline  
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off